The above title should probably read “oh what a day,” but I’ll use any excuse to throw some Jersey Boys lyrics into a post title since they’ve only been in my head for oh… 3 weeks.

Today was not a fun day. Last night, Mr. How Sweet noticed a bump on his leg. This morning, he was in major pain which eventually transformed into him barely being able to walk. A trip to the doctor’s revealed that he most likely had a staph infection, which led to lots of cutting and other terrible, unpleasant things. I’m definitely sparing you the gorey details, but I think this is what it means when you say ‘for better or for worse.’

[Side note: the Dr. bore an unreal resemblance to McSteamy. This made things much easier... for me.]

So we got sent home with these.

And then I had a major freakout. Because how can the cleanest man in the word get something like this? This is a guy who insists on showering before he works out, often showering three times a day. If he simply tries on a piece of clothing, it goes into the wash, along with everything else even if he only had it on for 5 minutes. We get in arguments over his Type A cleanliness. He is extremely OCD about being clean and sanitary. If he gets this, I am most certainly screwed. Why?!

I spent the rest of the day with this new friend.

I’ve cleaned things in this house I didn’t even know we owned. I’ve done more loads of laundry today than I’ve done since we’ve been married and I’ve scrubbed everything from light switches down to Mr. How Sweet’s Louis Vuitton wallet. He’s going to be just thrilled with that when he wakes up.

I definitely think tonight calls for some of these.

I’m most likely going to be up all night making sure Mr. How Sweet survives since I’m a whacked out freak, but on a positive note, tomorrow morning you will find out what I did with all of that salted caramel!

84 Responses to “Oh What a Night.”

Kristina @ spabettie — January 21, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

GET BETTER – FEEL BETTER, Mr How Sweet!!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 21, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

Awh, I am SO sorry to hear about that. I hope Mr. How Sweet gets well soon!
    On another note, cleaning sucks. I feel your pain. ;-)

Evan Thomas — January 21, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

Hope he starts to feel better! I know the hospital would scare me. Unless I saw an uptight asian intern, that is, and then I’d know I’m in good hands.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 21, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Oh, no! Excuse my tweet earlier, this certain isn’t a good thing! Hope it’s a quick recovery.

Steph@stephsbitebybite — January 21, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Oh wow! I hope he gets better! That is no fun at all. I would come clean for you if you paid me in treats :)

joni-marie — January 21, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

i’m a new reader :) well, i’ve been reading for a while, but never posted.

my boyfriend got a staph infection in his knee! he had to have a antibiotic drip put in! it was horrible!

i’ve also gotten an staph infection in my toe (don’t walk barefoot downtown after a night of drinking) :/

and i hope you baby him and feed him pounds and pounds of his favorite chicken and pizza, he deserves it! it’s seriously one of the most painful things i’ve experienced! i hope for a speedy recovery for mr. how sweet!

Dana @ my little celebration — January 21, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I’ll say a little prayer for you and your hubby. Doctor trips and illnesses are no fun. But I guess that’s why baked goods exist…

Good night!

Jessica — January 21, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

I hope he feels better! My husband has gotten a few staph infections in the past so I know how lovely it is. Did they tell you anything about it? From what they told us, it’s more about him keeping himself clean (not necessarily your house and not saying he’s dirty) but like if he gets a cut? Clean it. Scrape? Clean it. Pops a pimple (seriously)? Clean it. Tell him to watch too, they told us within about 1-1.5 years or so he’d have a higher chance of it coming back. And an extra tid-bit, if he has crohns disease he’s more likely to get a staph infection too for some reason? Hope that somewhat helped!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

Thank you for this!

Layla — January 21, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Oh gosh, not fun! I had a recurrent staph infection on my arm for months last summer. SO painful and unpleasant, plus all of the cleaning….We had to wash the sheets every single night, I had to take bleach baths (straight up bleach in water, but I found that salt water worked as well – not to kill the germs but to dry up the bump), take tons of antibiotics… it sucks.

Did they test you as well, by swabbing your nose? Since mine kept coming back, they thought I might be catching it from my husband (as a carrier) and they swabbed his nose, but he didn’t have it.

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 11:36 pm

They didn’t test me, but I am so scared I’m going to get it. I have no signs of it yet though. We are almost positive he got it from the gym he works out at. Even though he is super clean, the place is a total dump and basically a “man’s back alley gym.”

• Layla — January 22nd, 2011 @ 12:16 am

We think I got mine at the gym, too. I go to one of those 24 hour gyms and the sanitation is…lacking, to say the least. Now I’m super fanatical about cleaning every machine before I get on it and washing my hands as soon as I’m finished working out. If his keeps coming back, have them swab your nose to see if you’re growing the bacteria. Poor guy. He has my sympathy! I couldn’t sleep it hurt so bad. :(

• Mary — January 24th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I got staph from the on campus rec center when I was in college, and was told to bathe with some sort of anti-bacterial soap for 2 weeks (I think). That stuff smelled like a hospital, but the staph went away quickly. I think you can buy the soap from CVS or Walgreens – I don’t remember the name, but it’s in a blue-green bottle. Just scrub all over with a washcloth (use a fresh one every day) every time you shower.

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt if you used it too just to be safe. I hope he heals quickly!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — January 21, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

Oh nos! Get well Mr. Sweet! That man deserves a big steak, stat.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 21, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

oh my gosh! i hope he’s ok…that is quite the day. i remember when nate broke his nose and was bleeding EVERYWHERE…i kind of freaked out then. if he got staph i think i’d lose it!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 21, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

Wow Jess, that’s so scary! I would have done the same thing and cleaned every bit of my apartment. Keep us updated, hope he gets better fast.

Jess@atasteofconfidence — January 21, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Oh no, hope Mr. Sweet is okay:(
    Like the McDreamy reference, though!

Stephanie — January 21, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

The cleanliness thing…you just described my boyfriend. O crap. :) Hope he gets better soon!!

Lisa @ Thrive Style — January 21, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

Wow that sucks!

…but those better than crack brownies look amazing!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 22, 2011 @ 12:08 am

Ohhh – I know the gory details – an old boyfriend of mine had one of those and I spent many a days in ERs with him for it. Bleeeeeech. I hope he feels better, and that you both get some rest!!

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — January 22, 2011 @ 12:09 am

oh no… I hope Mr How Sweet gets better soon! Scary stuff for sure.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 22, 2011 @ 12:10 am

Feel better Mr. How Sweet!!!

At least your house is really clean now!!!!

Imwaytoobusy — January 22, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Poor Mr. How Sweet! That’s wild! Sounds like you two need a quiet night in…and lots of those treats ;)

Cheryl Stoy — January 22, 2011 @ 12:17 am

My hubby is a total gym rat and he is a special operations response trainer in our state prison system…so he is maniacal about cleanliness just because of episodes as the one you unfortunately had to go through. I go through more bleach, hand cleanser and detergent (Arm and Hammer-Perfume and Dye Free…he won’t let anything else touch our laundry) than I thought humanly possible. I also echo the other post…if he ( or you) get a cut or a sore…clean it and cover it. Staph infections are so dangerous due to the fact they can affect the lining of the heart…they are not to be taken lightly.

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — January 22, 2011 @ 12:17 am

Oh no! I hope he feels better and that you don’t catch it!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 22, 2011 @ 12:21 am

Watching Greys as I read this post. Which made the McSteamy reference eighty times better :D

Fallon — January 22, 2011 @ 12:33 am

Yikes that is very scary!! Good thing they gave him a lot of drugs ;)

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — January 22, 2011 @ 12:40 am

Oh man, get better Mr. How Sweet!!

Becca — January 22, 2011 @ 12:57 am

That’s horrible news! Get well soon, MHS! Incidentally, it’s a little known fact (my sister is a nurse) that people who are obsessed with cleanliness tend to get staph infections more often than most people. Why? Because they wipe ALL of the bacteria off of themselves, and we all need a little bit here and there to help us build up our antibodies. See? It really is okay to be a little messy now and then :-)

• Carol A. — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:24 am

You are correct about the infection thing, Becca…
      We are breeding a generation of people who aren’t used to being exposed to different bacteria which sounds like a bad thing but isn’t.
      How in the heck did all of use live bf the antibacterial wipes…. etc…
      Very well actually.
      just an FYI…

• Carol A. — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:25 am

I’m an RN who spent 30+ years in critical care…

Christina — January 22, 2011 @ 12:58 am

Oh no! I hope he gets better soon!

Kath — January 22, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Scary! I hope Mr. How Sweet recovers quickly!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 22, 2011 @ 1:07 am

Girl major hugs. I wish i could take you out for a drink!

WHAT???!!!
    “Mr. How Sweet’s Louis Vuitton wallet”

Omg I need to shop where he shops :)

Cynthia — January 22, 2011 @ 1:22 am

I hope Mr. How Sweet feels better!

Chocolate always makes everything better . . .

Cindy — January 22, 2011 @ 1:23 am

What kind of staph was it? Did they say MRSA?

• Jessica — January 22nd, 2011 @ 1:28 am

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 22, 2011 @ 1:35 am

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon. My sister had an infection like that before – it was no fun.

Rosie — January 22, 2011 @ 1:46 am

Hope Mr. Sweet’s recovery is speedy!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 22, 2011 @ 2:02 am

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon. My sister had one when we were kids and it was disturbing to say the least!

Ida — January 22, 2011 @ 2:07 am

How awful! I hope he recovers quickly.

Kristin @ Mugs & Pugs — January 22, 2011 @ 2:13 am

Oh my goodness!! Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way. I hope he gets well soon!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — January 22, 2011 @ 2:24 am

Ughhhhh that’s horrible. Staph is so gross…we had an epidemic of it at my high school and it was not pretty. Sending prayers to Mr. How Sweet, and to you!!

Rebekah — January 22, 2011 @ 2:26 am

My prayers are with you guys! I hope he recovers quickly!

Jess — January 22, 2011 @ 2:45 am

Oh no!! Hope he feels better!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — January 22, 2011 @ 2:51 am

Praying for Mr. How Sweet and for you dear Jess. Salted caramel is indeed necessary for today. I pray they help him heal as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Hannah — January 22, 2011 @ 2:53 am

Oh no! When I was in the States in 2007-8 one of my friend’s brothers got a stpah infection. I desperately hope your husband’s is less drawn-out and painful than my friend’s brother’s experience! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Andrea — January 22, 2011 @ 3:07 am

So sorry, Mr. How Sweet! But Jessica, once this is over, you’ll be glad your were ‘forced to clean’, even if it was under unfortunate circumstances.

Those…things….look so goood! What are they? Fudgey rice krispy treats?

Ashley — January 22, 2011 @ 3:08 am

Awww, thinking about you guys!!! I can definitely tell a story or two when Chris was in the hospital with his kidney issues…wowzers. I hope Mr.HS is better in no time. <3

Katie — January 22, 2011 @ 3:20 am

It isn’t MRSA is it? I’ve never been through that, but Mr. HOw Sweet is one lucky man to have a wife like you!

• Jessica — January 22nd, 2011 @ 3:24 am

It is. :(

Christine — January 22, 2011 @ 3:35 am

Sounds like he is now more than ever in need of his “special comforts”: steak, protein bars, and love from his stuffed turkey! Gosh, I hope it clears up quickly for him and you! If anything will help tho, it’s those devilish brownies! ;) stay cheerful and positive!

Alaina — January 22, 2011 @ 3:44 am

Oh, I hope Mr. How Sweet feels better!!

Jess — January 22, 2011 @ 3:46 am

so sorry to hear about your hubby, hope he feels better. and thank you for reminding me about your recipe for the better-than-crack-brownies. somehow i forgot about those but i believe they’re not permanently ingrained in my memory.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — January 22, 2011 @ 4:09 am

Poor guy!! He definitely needs those brownies. As a matter of fact, so do I! :)

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 22, 2011 @ 4:11 am

I hope he recovers soon!

My husband works in the foreclosure industry and got a tick bite a few weeks ago. So any brown dot we found around our house, we were convinced they had to have been a tick. We did laundry, we cleaned, we scrubbed.

Yes, you totally deserve some brownies!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — January 22, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Oh no that’s pretty strange I agree~send him all our cares. I’ll be praying tonight that he’ll be up and going soon. And that you’ll be protected from whatever might be going around! WOW. That dessert looks.incredible.

Heather — January 22, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Oh my gosh!!! Prayers for fast healing for hubby. And I wonder if he was cloned because he sounds a LOT like my hubby. OCD is an understatement! haha

1. Pingback: Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken | How Sweet It Is