I think I say this every time, but if it was possible for me to live in a store, it would have to be Trader Joe’s. Okay… and Sur La Table. I would have everything I needed!

(Except stilettos.)
I ended up at Trader Joe’s this morning after a breakfast out. I rarely go out to breakfast, so this was fun! I met up with Caitlin who came back to Pittsburgh to visit from Texas, and Abby. It was almost one year to the day that we met at the same place for the first time.
For the first time ever, my Trader Joe’s bag handles ripped. It is always my biggest fear.

Luckily they waited to break until I made it inside.
Here are some of the goods!

Love these sweet potatoes so much.
Random produce.

Any vegetable whose flavor resembles that of candy is alright by me.
An addiction.

We’ve been craving these chips since having them a few weeks ago.
Necessities.

Love these! They remind me of Fruit Roll-Ups, which I used to be obsessed with.

They make perfect snacks.
Speaking of snacks…

All time favorite hummus in the world.

I consider this a small victory, only coming home with one type of cheese.

It’s unusual.
I also caved and finally bought this.

Been dreaming of it since November.
And I’m super excited to try this mustard.

I adore mustard. I hoard as many kinds as possible.
Abby bought these fruit jellies to fuel herself on her run. I succumbed to jealousy and peer pressure and bought them too.

They are delicious!

As I type this, Abby is probably eating one on her 8 mile run. I’m just… eating one while sitting here.
Some boring bread.

Favorite fruit staples.

And of course, some orange chicken for Mr. How Sweet to “snack” on.

Four bags of “snacks” that will last about six days. Seems about right.
What’s on your grocery list this week?

99 Responses to “Saturday Trader Joe’s Run!”

Evan Thomas — January 15, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

You know what’s wrong? I live about 20 minutes from a Trader Joe’s that’s across from the Whole Foods I shop at and I haven’t gone in in about 5 months. I think I might change that today. I can’t see what’s new.

Also, I’ve been snacking on those fruit gels all yesterday since I found them in the back of my pantry. So good.

ashley@quasichick — January 15, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I am so jealous :( I live in Louisiana and the nearrest Trader Joes is in Georgia! Glad you scored some great stuff though!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — January 15, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Oooo I have wanted to try the White Bean Hummus. Hummus is my addiction. Is it good?

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

It’s amazing. Seriously, my favorite EVER.

Jaedyn — January 15, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

I’m not sure what is on my list right now… but I know it will involve chocolate! And I must say, I am completely jealous because you have Trader Joe’s in the US… we don’t have them here in Canada!

Alysa (Inspired RD) — January 15, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

Yum! I absolutely love Trader Joe’s. Have you ever tried the dark chocolate covered roasted edamame?

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

I have not. I always want to pick some up and then forget!

Amanda (Eating Up) — January 15, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

I just came back from one of these runs!

liane — January 15, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

I love the Mediterranean hummus. It’s my favourite! I think I shall have to put the mustard on my list for next time. I adore mustard!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — January 15, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

Love, love, love Trader Joe’s. All of your purchases look amazing!

RunningOnCoffee — January 15, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

I love the white bean hummus. I have made a special trip just to pick some up before. Those fruit jellies look good too.

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

It’s my absolute favorite hummus!

Natalie @ While I Breathe — January 15, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

love love love trader joes… they have little mini chicken tacos or something in the frozen food section that are awesome… the boy has an obession with their whole grain pastas… which is good since their low sodium marinara sauce tastes good unlike most low sodium pasta sauces… :)

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

I know which chicken tacos you’re speaking of! Their frozen foods are SO good… which is saying a lot because I tend to despise all frozen meals.

Angela@RecipesFromMyMom — January 15, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Kansas City is finally getting a Trader Joe’s but I think we’re still at least 18 months from the opening. I should just start my shopping list now looking at your photos.

Kristina @ spabettie — January 15, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

we LOVE those lentil chips here too!!

and I cannot wait to see what you do with the fleur de sel caramel?? I had some over the holidays… divine…

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 15, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

And you still didn’t get the chocolate crisps.

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

I KNOW!
      Trust me, I looked at them over and over and even thought of you! But I just couldn’t bring myself to get them because I was pretty sure I’d eat the entire canister on my way home.

Sarah — January 15, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I am so sad that we don’t have Trader Joe’s down here in Miami!! :( My mom often goes back in MD though, and she sends me goodies in the mail every now and then :) My favorites are the fruit leather pieces and the pumpkin pancake mix – wish I could get at that fresh produce though!!

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

I love the pumpkin pancake mix too. So good!

Abby — January 15, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Awww I’m so glad we were all able to get together.

And I ate 3 of those on my run and they kept me super speedy.

Well, “speedy” is relative…

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

You’re done and back already?! I’d still be crawling on the side walk!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 15, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

OK, this has been on my mind for a while — what is up with the Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract?? What makes it different? When do you use it? These are questions that keep me up at night…

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Hahaha! From what I’ve read, the Bourbon just means it’s from a certain plain – I think off the coast of Africa but I’m not 100% sure. I really love the taste though! I use it in any recipe that calls for vanilla extract!

• Angie R. — November 23rd, 2012 @ 11:50 am

I know this is an old post, but if you go to beanilla.com they have a really good list of the different vanilla beans and what makes them different.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 15, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Ooo – I’m intrigued by the lentil chips and the hot and sweet mustard…on the lookout for them my next TJ’s run!

Miriam — January 15, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Trader Joe’s runs are a major highlight for me too. I am going tomorrow morning and I am so excited to stock up! Chocolate covered pom seeds, pumpernickel pretzels, edamame hummus, rice vinegar, lentils, arugula, tart frozen yogurt, parmesan cheese, whole wheat flax seed tortillas, oatmeal, jumbo raisins, almond flax seed butter, butter, dark chocolate chips. Okay, obviously I could go on forever. From your bags I know I’m also going to be looking for lentil chips, I have never seen those, hopefully they have them here in Brooklyn.

VeggieGirl — January 15, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

Just came back from Whole Foods! I bought spinach, butternut squash, broccoli, organic chicken-sausage, cereal, Amy’s frozen single-serve pesto pizzas, unsweetened hempmilk…. but damn, I need to get to Trader Joe’s and get that caramel sauce you bought! :)

Salah@myhealthiestlife — January 15, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

I love trader joes! Too bad we dont have one in texas :-(

Jess — January 15, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

so many of my favorite products as well. lately i’m obsessed with the honey mustard pretzels, cumin and chili chickpeas and of course, the dark chocolate edamame. holy deliciousness! trader joes is the best.

Katie — January 15, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

Have you tried their meditteranean style hummus? Its heaven. As is that mustard.

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Nope, but I will now. :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 15, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

I went today and also had a bag handle rip!! That really is the best hummus! The basil flavor is good also, tastes like pesto!

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Ah really?! I had it in my hand and put it down. Next time!

Christina — January 15, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

I just got home from my grocery run! I also took pictures of everything I bought, something I’ve never done, but these blog posts of yours have inspired me to do so. :)

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Awesome! :)

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 15, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

I could live at TJs too!
    I have Monday off, and am headed to TJ’s for Almond Butter and my addiction…their Gorgonzola cheese crackers.

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

Ah! I look at those crackers EVERY time. Haven’t bought them yet.

Jess@atasteofconfidence — January 15, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I love those sweet potatoes! I’m going shopping today for some of the basics- milk, bread, peanut butter :)

lisa — January 15, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Oh my how I love trader joe’s! we just went last night and stocked up – tomatoes, oranges, apples, bell peppers, yummy hummus and crackers, among many other things. And I am completely incapable of leaving without at least two types of cheeses and wines. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 15, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I’m severaly jealous of this post. The closest TJ to me is 6 hours away. :(

Jess — January 15, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

I seriously need to go to Trader joe’s. Gahhh, love that place & love your grocery haul!!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 15, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Trader Joes is just such a fun store, isn’t it? Always really crowded near me, however–I think they need to reconfigure their checkout lines.

Ang — January 15, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

I can’t believe you made it out of the store without any of their reduced price Christmas treats! The Christmas packaged English toffee and peppermint bark made it in my cart…

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

I didn’t see any! Our TJ’s is pretty small, maybe it was all gone?

Chrissy — January 15, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

Today I bought stuff for white bean chicken chili (this week’s lunch), regular chili, tacos, reubens, spaghetti and meatballs, and Ghirardelli brownie mix, because I am in serious need of brownies today. And every day.

vanillasugarblog — January 15, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

i buy waaaaaay too much candy and frozen sweets from TJ. never buy the healthy stuff. i should. the meditterean hummus is like crack to me, along with the curry naan bread. try that next time.

NancyC — January 15, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

LOVE LOVE Trader Joe’s. Mine just got a new location and it’s huge and fabulous. I bought those same fruit jellies for the hubs. Their pizza dough is the bomb, about to make a pizza tonight with their pizza sauce and fresh mozz. There is so much cheese in my fridge right now, it’s not even funny.

Em — January 15, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

I can’t even begin to tell you about how jealous I am that you shop at TJ’s. There isn’t anything near where I live now and I crave pretty much everything you just pictured. And yes, even the fruit jellies…MMMM!!

Penny Lane — January 15, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

I don’t think I ever make it outta Trader Joes with one cheese. Even when I am in a hurry and only have one on my list I get 3 or 4 that look delicious. Enjoy the Mandarin Chicken, it was always one of my favorites.

Elise — January 15, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

There is nothing I like better than the Orange Chicken! I keep it in the over for 2X as long (I really like crunch) and add Siracha sauce to the packet.

A friend of mine makes mustard: http://www.lustymonk.com/ It’s is AWESOME. It has a bite to it so don’t order it if you don’t like spice. I wanted to admit she’s a friend but I don’t get anything for pimping her mustard out – I just love it that much :)

Val @ Balancing Val — January 15, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

I have to say I was never a fennel fan because I don’t enjoy the taste of black licorice . . .

BUT in culinary school we recently seared it in olive oil so it got a nice brown char and then finished cooking in some vegetable stock which we reduced later to drizzle.

SO GOOD!

I’m a believer now :)

Ashley — January 15, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

I’m addicted to their frozen macarons and their moscato. Actually, I’m addicted to pretty much everything I try at Trader Joe’s.

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — January 16, 2011 @ 12:05 am

MMM pomegranates.

Stephanie — January 16, 2011 @ 12:12 am

oooo can’t wait to see what you do with the fennel! i’ve never used it before and i know you are going to come up with something amazing (per usual)! i picked up some frozen leeks at TJ’s last weekend – they were new to me too – made the BEST baked pasta w/ cheddar and leeks. yummmmmmmm :)

Cara — January 16, 2011 @ 12:49 am

Sea salt and black pepper; good choice!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 16, 2011 @ 12:57 am

ahh i went to TJS today too!! i got the garlic aoili mustard which is OUT OF THIS WORLD! too funny–Jason is obsessed with that frozen chinese chicken thing. I get it all the time and its so easy to please him! he loves it :) I also had peanut flour in my cart, but didnt end up getting it, I just have NO idea what to do with it!!

• Jessica — January 16th, 2011 @ 12:58 am

I love that mustard! I bought it months ago after your recommendation. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 16, 2011 @ 1:14 am

i have that caramel sauce but i havent opened the jar. ive had it since nov and look at it all the time…

you open yours first and tell me what you make. ill just copy you :)

Kim in MD — January 16, 2011 @ 1:21 am

I LOVE Trader Joe’s! You always seem to buy things that I haven’t tried yet, so I love your posts about TJ’S! :-)

P.S. I always buy the Orange Chicken…it is amazing and so simple to prepare!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 16, 2011 @ 1:33 am

I loooove TJ’s. It’s one of my favorite places. I actually left the mall yesterday because I thought I would have more fun at TJ’s. Weird?

Brittany — January 16, 2011 @ 1:44 am

I LOVE TJs so it was fun to see your purchases. We get a lot of the same things including Isaac’s (and apparently Mr. Sweet’s) favorite item, the Orange Chicken!

Hannah — January 16, 2011 @ 2:45 am

I adore, adore, adore grocery shop posts, particularly when they’re for places like Trader Joe’s which I don’t have in Australia. It’s such sweet torture :D

This morning, I shopped for avocados, lime, and coconut, for the raw key lime pie I just made :)

Jankynola — January 16, 2011 @ 3:07 am

My sis has worked at TJ’s for the last 4 years! I always get the inside scoop! My faves right now are the Kettle Korn (a.dict.tive!!!) The frozen multigrain french toast is out of this world! I’m pretty sure I am in love with Trader Joe’s! Swoon!!

Cindy — January 16, 2011 @ 3:10 am

Just got a Trader Joe’s in O! I wish they would carry the Vanilla Bean Paste again, I love that stuff. It was much more reasonably priced there than at Sur La Table. I also love their organics. Great store, I have to get back out there, it is about an hour from my home, but it’s close when I am at work during the week. Love the pics of all the things you purchased. THanks for sharing.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Saturday Trader Joe’s Run! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Oh What a Night. | How Sweet It Is