Yesterday I broke out my grandma’s little red recipe book in search for her crab cake recipe.

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

It is filled was quite the array of recipes, including this lime ham salad above which I can promise will not be making it on to the blog. Eeeek.

That’s all I have to say about that.
So… the secret ingredient for the crab cakes? Saltines. But only eight saltines. No more, no less. That’s it!

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

There is nothing more disappointing than ordering crab cakes in a restaurant, only to bite in and discover they are filled with junk.

No fear, you won’t have that problem here. No junk in the trunk.

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

See, I have this little issue of rarely ever being able to make the same recipe twice. This is true almost always when it comes to cooking – I would say 98% of the time I have no recipe in mind and just throw things together until they taste good. I get bored quite easily.
However, I followed this recipe nearly to a T. I already have a favorite baked crab cake recipe that includes peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil and butter, with entire said mixture being poured into the crab cake ‘dough.’ They are buttery and melt in your mouth. But they are a bit more complicated, and include a few steps such as chopping and sauteing veggies before even making the cakes.

Some days, I just crave simple.

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

And I’ve been dying to try this recipe for months. It is one of my brother’s favorite meals. They are just too easy and too quick not to love them.

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

The outside is crispy and the inside is filled with tons of crabmeat. I loved the different textures. The only issue I had? The recipe claims it yields 4 to 6 servings. Really? Maybe back in 1965. Maybe for normal people. Maybe for those of us who aren’t gluttons.
I can tell you one thing. You will absolutely not get 4 to 6 servings if you live with Mr. How Sweet. In fact, you will get no servings. He will get one.

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

And he will eat them with 2 side dishes: macaroni and cheese and leftover 3 meat pizza. Because that sounds about right, no? Funny, when I put a call out on Facebook a few months ago suggesting side dishes for crab cakes, neither one of those came up. I wonder why?

Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com
Easy Light Crab Cakes

serves 1-2

1 pound lump crabmeat

8 saltine crackers, crushed

1 egg

1 tablespoon mustard

1 tablespoon greek yogurt (her recipe called for mayo, I was out)

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt & pepper to taste

1 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a bowl except oil and stir until thoroughly combined. Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. While it’s heating, form the crab mixture into small patties – you will get about 5 to 6 cakes. Place them in the skillet and cook until lightly golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Simple Light Crab Cakes I howsweeteats.com

Moral of the story? These rock. They taste incredible. You can make them in less than 20 minutes. And they’re healthy. Now get in the kitchen!

141 Responses to “Simple, Light Crab Cakes.”

Hannah — January 21, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

When I was growing up, the only time I ate saltines was with flat lemonade when I was sick.

Next time I get the flu, I’m calling my mum and asking for flat lemonade and crab cakes instead. ;)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — January 21, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Making these for Lloyd ASAP!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 21, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

One of my favorite things I have ever eaten (when I ate meat) were crab cakes in Maryland. Holy. Crap. So. Good.

Of course now I just have to salivate through the screen – you know because of my morals and all.

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Darn morals. ;)

jenna laughs — January 21, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

I’ve heard of saltines in crab cakes before! Makes a great filler without being too overwhelming, which is why I love the rest of your recipe. When I eat a crab cake, I like to taste the crab!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 21, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

We LOVE crab cakes in our house! I have yet to find the perfect recipe. Can’t wait to try these :)

CaSaundra — January 21, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Aww thanks for sharing one of your grandma’s recipes! I always think family recipes are so special, and they always taste better :-)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt — January 21, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Wow! I have a recipe that I use for crabcakes, but this one sounds better! I am definitely going to try it next time. I like the idea of using saltines instead of breadcrumbs. Genius!

Vanessa — January 21, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I love old family recipes. There’s something so fun about looking back at them. You can never go wrong with crabcakes!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — January 21, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Ohmygoodness! These look amazing! I had no idea crab cakes could be made so simply…I’ve always been too scared to try making them. I’ll definitely give these a shot because, hey, even if I fail, I’ve only wasted 20 minutes of my life! …And if I succeed? I’ll just have to eat quickly b

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

They are so easy! You gotta try.

Heather — January 21, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

um, i kind of gagged at the lime ham salad. i almost did again when i wrote that out…

and yes, i LOVE crabcakes! these sound perfect!

kristina @ life as kristina — January 21, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Yay-grandma’s recipes are the best!!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 21, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Ohhh – these look fantastic – and so easy. I have been craving crab since seeing and episode of Nigella where she made a really simple crab salad..now, if I actually get around to purchasing crab meat – BOTH will have to happen.

Gen — January 21, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Those LOOK incredible! Such awesome pictures make me hungry! =D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 21, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

This is so close to my mother-in-law’s recipe for salmon patties. Ya gotta love the simplicity of old recipes! They look delicious!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

Haha! My other grandma (Mother Lovett) was also big on making salmon patties. Must have been that generation.

• Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

Yeah, Tony loves them, but even when I ate meat, I was never on board with canned salmon…yuck!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I’ve never even tasted canned salmon. It makes me cringe!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 21, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

I always think crab cakes look so tasty…except I hate the taste of crab. I love that you can make these in 20 minutes. Can’t beat that! If I liked crab, that is. :-)

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie — January 21, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Crab. Enough said! I love the stuff! No, but seriously. I love making crab/salmon/tuna/other fish cakes. You can basically just throw whatever you have laying in your pantry and veggie bin and it’ll taste good. I love that aspect of cooking! So much fun!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 21, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

These look great! I love when they’re not too heavily coated (like most restaurants tend to do… grrr!) The saltines are a great idea and sound like they’d actually allow you to taste the crab instead of just a bunch of breadiness. I recently coated some fish in crushed Triscuits and that was awesome too!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

That sounds delicious!

Alisa — January 21, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

these are GORGEOUS. i want to eat them. RIGHT NOW. :) thanks for sharing, i’ll be trying this very soon.

Blond Duck — January 21, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Those look like the tuna croquettes I make! Yum!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 21, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Isn’t it funny to compare recipe serving sizes from today with older cookbooks?

Well, funny and I guess kind of depressing, ha!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

Seriously!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 21, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

I’ll be trying this! I can’t stand crabcakes that really are everything but crab! Simple, easy, light, and loaded with crab- perfect!

Amanda (Eating Up) — January 21, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

These look great and so simple! I love grandma’s recipes!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 21, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Healthy crab cakes — and SO simple! I love these — and my husband would love them too. I always associate crab cakes with a lot of work… but these I could definitely do.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 21, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Such a simple ingredient list! Love it!! I will have to make these soon :D

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 21, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I love crab cakes and can’t wait to try these! I’ve never made my own. Sad day.

Mother Lovett’s snickerdoodles are a staple around here. So I’m sure these will be too!

Erica — January 21, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

I haven’t made crab cakes in forever! But I always use saltines too :) I like homemaking them because you can make them mostly crab with very little filler (aka perfect). Yours look awesome! Great on a salad, as an appetizer or with more substantial sides! fabulous. Happy Friday

brandi — January 21, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

These look eerily similar to my father-in-laws recipe! but his only use 5 saltines :)

They look perfect!

kate@ahealthypassion — January 21, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

Yum Jessica those look so delicious! My boyfriend is the same way i’ll ask him to pick up fish for dinner and he will come home with two pounds for just us and eat it all. If only haha

Kath — January 21, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

I love the simplicity of your grandma’s crab cakes! They sound like (and look like) perfection!

Happy When Not Hungry — January 21, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Wow these look delicious! I live in Washington, DC and I’ve never attempted making crab cakes because people are very particular down here about their crab cakes. But I’m def making these for my hubby!

Maren — January 21, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Will you go to work for me so I can make these?

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie — January 21, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Crab cakes are one of my favorite meals. The recipe I’ve used is kind of similar to this, but the saltines and yogurt sound really intriguing. I’ll have to try your version! They look completely drool-worthy.

Emily — January 21, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

These look as tasty as they do easy to prepare! I always like old bay in my crab cakes so that might be my only revision – otherwise looks like a pretty flawless recipe!

Michelle — January 21, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

I love the simplicity of the ingredients in these!

Stephanie — January 21, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

No Old Bay?! This is a travesty!

jen @ taste life — January 21, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

I am so making these for the bf. Now I just need crab meat…

Shannon — January 21, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Those look AH-MA-ZING!!! I could go for a couple of those right now, even if it is 8:50 AM!!!

Noelle — January 21, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Hilarious! Portion control back in the 60s? BAH! I do agree with that crazy portion “feeds 4-6″ my recipes probably feed an army and it would shock some grandma out there.

Actually, my grandmother DOES cook EXACTLY for 4 people, not even for there to be second servings. I think they had something going back in the 60s, just saying. :D

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

My grandma also did this.

Allison @ Novice Life — January 21, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

These look fabulous!

Emily — January 21, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

I think even I could make these, which is saying a lot since it’s a struggle for me to produce a good piece of toast in my kitchen…

My wallet would also appreciate it if I pulled these off. The weekly Sunday Brunches out to get crab cakes benedict and bloody mary’s garnished with lump crab meat (AND bacon…try not to drool) are definitely starting to add up.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 21, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

I love crab cakes! My recipe is almost identical to yours except I use seasoned breadcrumbs instead of saltines. yum!!

Natalia - a side of simple — January 21, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

They were modest in the 60s. We’re honest today.

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Hahah. I love this.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — January 21, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Crab cakes are amazing. But I agree with you about sometimes they are filled with junk. When I order a crab cake….I want CRAB. :)
    Your recipe does look simple and delicious!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

It’s hard to find a good one!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — January 21, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

thank you, thank you for this! saltines are the perfect way to add some texture to the crab cake patty. I can’t wait to go try this. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — January 21, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

Saltines? I really like that idea. I’ve never made crab cakes before, I usually just steal them from my parents fridge when my mom buys them. These sound way better.

Jess — January 21, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

these look just about perfect:) i made crab cakes last year for the first time with a very similar, simple recipe, but it called for breadcrumbs instead of saltines. i’ll definitely try your version with the saltines, genius!

Mrs. Jen B — January 21, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

One of my favorite dishes and one which I have never considered trying. Have I finally seen the error of my ways after reading your easy peasy recipe and seeing the glorious pictures? Perhaps…

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 21, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

ive never had a crab cake? I know, and Im a new englander!!! these look delicious!!

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

What?! That must be changed!

kelly — January 21, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Yum! I HAVE to try these :) I’ve never purchased lump crabmeat at the store before.. do you just get it from the seafood counter at the grocery store or wha?

• Jessica — January 21st, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Yep! It is usually right under the fresh seafood but it is in a can. Don’t get imitation!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — January 21, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

done and done! totally bookmarked, love! =)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Simple, Light Crab Cakes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Cake Batter Pancakes | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 78 | my kitchen addiction

4. Pingback: Saturday Stumbles: January 29, 2010 | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

5. Pingback: >Healthy Reminders « In Sweetness and In Health

6. Pingback: >Healthy Reminders

7. Pingback: Cooked Out! « Michelle & El's Kitchen

8. Pingback: A Disappearing Act « Crafty Enough?

9. Pingback: Crab Cake Sliders with Pineapple Kiwi Salsa | How Sweet It Is