Pound cake is a funny thing.

In all honestly, it’s never really been my thing. I’ve waxed poetic about my love for rich desserts that make my teeth hurt. Pound cake just isn’t one of those desserts.

But a few years ago, I had a client bring me a homemade pound cake. It was the first homemade pound cake I had ever tasted. My mom often bought it when we were younger, but never made it from scratch.
After my first bite, I was hooked. It was so… buttery!

That was years ago, and I vowed I would try my hand at homemade pound cake. Clearly, I don’t stick to my resolutions very well.

Since I can’t seem to do much traditionally, I add some extra vanilla and lots of lime to this poundcake. With a vanilla lime glaze. Limes are for more than just tequila, you know. I didn’t.
Turns out I was doomed from the start.

One by one, the thick, cakey slices started to disappear.

Mr. How Sweet claimed that he wasn’t even going to taste this cake since pound cakes aren’t his thing either. But then he saw my eyes glaze over after each bite. He had to join in on the fun.
And that is how we spent our Sunday afternoon. On the couch in big lumps, swimming in sweatpants and stuffed to the gills with pound cake. Perfect way to start a New Year’s diet, don’t you think?

Vanilla Lime Poundcake

loosely adapted from The Joy of Baking

3 large eggs

3 tablespoons milk

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest (about 3-4 medium limes)

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

contents of one vanilla bean

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla extract, vanilla beans, lime zest and lime juice. Whisk together.

In the bowl of your electric mixed, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined. Add butter and mix until batter starts to come together. Add half of the egg mixture and mix on medium for 30 seconds. Add the remaining egg mixture in two parts, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing on medium speed for about 30-45 seconds each.

Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit in the bottom of your loaf pan and butter it. Spray the entire loaf pan with baking spray and lay the parchment paper down, buttered side up. Pour the batter in the loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. If cake gets too brown on top, lightly tent it with foil. Let cool before glazing.
Vanilla Lime Glaze

1/4 cup lime juice

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon heavy cream

3/4 -1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon lime zest

Whisk all ingredients together to form a glaze. Add more liquid or sugar to get desired consistency. Pour over cooled pound cake.

Now if only my thighs liked the pound cake as much as I did.

152 Responses to “Vanilla Lime Pound Cake.”

Ashley — January 7, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

MAN do I love poundcake!!! I made it once from Cooks Magazine and it was to die for. This looks just as good!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 7, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Poundcake is AMAZING!! How sweet it is! ;)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 7, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Making this tomorrow for a football party, for sure. Who says guys watching football and drinking beer can’t enjoy pound cake! Btw, I love that you threw your husband’s pillow down the stairs and then sleep-elbowed him. Teach him a lesson, right? :-)

Jessie K — January 7, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Oh, our thighs DO like these rich, decadent desserts as much as we do… That’s why they swell! ;) Now, if only there were a Bruce Almighty around and we could lose weight on the Krispy Kreme diet…

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 7, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

This sounds incredible, and love how bright the limes are in the first pic!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 7, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Nice work!! The glaze. Just the glaze sounds awesome! I mean I could just eat that with a spoon and be quite happy :)

My dad loves key lime pie and i have memories of making it with my mom for him on his bdays!

Kacy — January 7, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

I’m not going to lie, I love those Sarah Lee pound cakes you can get at the grocery store. I could eat a whole one in one sitting. So something tells me I’d eat that whole cake in 5 minutes.

Krystle Thorn — January 7, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

I absolutely love poundcake! And this one looks devine, love the idea of adding a little lime flavor!

Alissa — January 7, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

This looks great and can’t wait to try it!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — January 7, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I absolutely adore pound cake. My mom makes a version that was her mother’s and it is to-die-for. One of my projects is to master her cake. Also, I love JOY too – such a great go-to tool!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 7, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

Pound cake never really floats my boat either, but with lime… well now you’re talking. Limes remind me of hot weather and beaches, which I could definitely use right about now!

Melinda — January 7, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Love it! I bet the lime gave it just the perfect amount of sweet and sour.

Kate @ahealthypassion — January 7, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

Yummm that looks so buttery and delicious

Terry — January 7, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

What a wonderful recipe! My neighbor Ruth made the most delicious butternut poundcake that simply melted in your mouth. She and her husband have been gone for many years now, but reading your post reminded me of the night my husband and I came home from a party and saw them dancing in the moonlight on their porch. Like any couple that has danced together for years, they were poetry in motion, and the beauty of that memory still brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:07 am

Butternut poundcake? That sounds amazing and that story really warmed my heart. Tears here too! Do you by chance have the recipe?

Shanna, like Banana — January 7, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

Yum, I’m imagining this right out of the oven slightly warm and soft and goeey center.

Red Deception — January 7, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

That looks quite tasty, but I am not a fan of lime. Do you think the recipe would work well with lemons instead?

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:07 am

Absolutely. Any citrus should work!

• Judy — December 8th, 2013 @ 9:50 am

How about grapefruit? Just wondering.

Gill (snaxandthecity) — January 7, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

I just found your blog and I’ve really enjoyed looking around (and drooling over that pound cake!). Looking forward to reading more! I’m terrible at baking so hopefully I can learn a few tricks :)

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:06 am

Thank you! :)

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — January 7, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

I looovee lime. Mmm what an amazing idea to make a vanilla lime pound cake. Seriously the whole cake is calling my name. :)

Michelle — January 7, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

Definitely how you should begin a new year!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — January 7, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

oh, I can only imagine this covered in strawberries and whipped cream. It would be like a strawberry limeade…only with more butter.

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:06 am

You had me at strawberry limeade. Drool.

Lindsey at The Bakery Box — January 7, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

I have been following your site for a while and wanted to let you know. … first…your photography has bacome amazing! Second, I have yet not tried one of your recipes and not loved it…did that make since…that is I love your recipes and third, thanks!

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Thank you so much!!

Rach — January 7, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

Sooo pretty!

Kim - Liv Life — January 7, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

Saw this on Foodgawker and had to peek as it has my favorite flavors. Our lime tree is fruiting heavily and I’m looking for uses, I think this will be a good one! Nicely done!

Kaitlin With Honey — January 7, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

Reading your blog is like torture right now! I’m not eating sugar at the moment and I’m pretty sure I would die and got to heaven upon tasting this cake. Plus, it’s gorgeous!

Rachel — January 7, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

hahaha that sounds like such a perfect and joyous Sunday afternoon… love it!!!

Ingrid — January 7, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Love your blog and recipes..Keeps me coming back for more!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 7, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

I’m not a huge fan of pound cakes either, but the lime flavor in this one would definitely win me over! :)

Kat — January 8, 2011 @ 1:18 am

Oh my goodness that is the most delicious pound cake I’ve ever seen!
    New Year’s resolutions can start tomorrow right?

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:03 am

Of course.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — January 8, 2011 @ 1:19 am

Mmm, I love the flavor combo of vanilla and lime – This looks absolutely scrumptious and perfect for spring, which I am BEYOND ready for already :) Thanks for sharing!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 8, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Vanilla and lime together, this is like a big party in my mouth! Sounds scrumptious!!!

Baking 'n' Books — January 8, 2011 @ 2:08 am

I love love love your site. Seriously. I want to hang out with you ;) – but pound cakes would need to be involved. And tea. Or coffee….or maybe wine. Meh – let’s throw in a few cocktails while were at it :)

How do you feel about all the Gluten-Free cooking that’s everywhere nowadays around blogs it seems. I know that being GF is essential for so many people of course! And serious. But others people we should shun wheat anyways – it’s begun to make me really worrisome. I do experience a lot of symptoms of gluten intolerance and now feel guilty for eating pizza crust with wheat-whole or that I’m screwing up my system? But I tire of over-thinking so much too…

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:15 am

Aw! I’d love to hang too. :)

I think gluten-free cooking/baking is WONDERFUL, especially for those who have celiac and gluten intolerance. They can almost eat a gluten-free version of anything these days! However, I have no reason to cut out gluten since I am not intolerant to it, so I honestly don’t think about it much. I do some occasional baking with spelt flour because I really like it, but that’s about it. I would never cut it out unless I had serious symptoms.

Lizzi — January 8, 2011 @ 2:18 am

Oh, don’t be ridiculous – I’m sure your thighs LOVE this cake! I know mine do! They absolutely FLOURISH when I eat a lot of this sorta thing ;)

Hannah L. @ Hannah Lives — January 8, 2011 @ 2:29 am

Giada de Laurentiis has a method where she drizzles slices of pound cake with honey and butter, and then toasts them. And then serves it with sweetened citrus spiked, freshly whipped cream, and fresh fruit. It is a go-to dessert for me. I probably make a cream cheese pound cake every month, and freeze it for an emergency dessert for unexpected guests. And it is always sliced, toasted, and served with whipped cream and fruit!

BTW. I’ve pulled the butter out of the fridge, and will be baking this at around 9:30 p.m.

Jennifer — January 8, 2011 @ 3:12 am

I just found your blog and immediately found three recipes I must try immediately, one of those being this pound cake. I love pound cake, and this combination sounds delicious.

What Happens After Five — January 8, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Sounds so yummy! My grandmother used to make something really similar when I was little – I’ll definitely have to test this out!

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 8, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

I do really, really love a good pound cake & this glaze makes it even better :) xo

Elyse — January 9, 2011 @ 2:25 am

Dear lord. These looks so amazing! Thanks for the receipe. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 9, 2011 @ 3:34 am

At the bakery where I work, we sell lemon cakes (all varieties) and today i was thinking, why isn’t lime cake as popular? I bet it’s awesome!

Amanda — January 9, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I have yet to make a delicious pound cake… its on my list! This one looks fantastic!

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska — January 10, 2011 @ 4:40 am

I often forget about pound cake but wow- this looks amazing!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 11, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Yum!! My grandmother used to make homemade pound cake, and she passed that recipe along… It is one of my favorites. This version looks fabulous!

Cynthia — January 12, 2011 @ 2:06 am
    Brooke — January 13, 2011 @ 8:50 am

So I just made this and it was delicious! Except my glaze :( mine did not look anything like yours! Well maybe a tiny bit. But it was basically clear not white like yours. It was just really runny and I probablyput in like a cup and a quarter of powdered sugar. Do you have a secret??

Stephanie — March 11, 2011 @ 1:57 am

Hey there … just a quick question. I’m getting ready to bake this tomorrow and I want to know if I understand right. What does “tenting” mean?

• Jessica — March 11th, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Placing foil over top.

Jen — July 17, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

Long time fan, first time commentor, lol. I am making this right now but just noticed the ingredients lists 3 TBSP milk but, unless I’m blind and dense today, I see no mention of it in the instructions. When and with what do I add the milk?

• Rebecca — September 21st, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Hi Jen! I though the same thing even did a “search” on the page for “milk” to see if I was missing it somewhere! I added the milk right after the eggs. I was too afraid to mix it in with the lime juice (since it’s was just sitting to the side I was afraid it would curdle.). Turned out great!! :) Good luck!

• TriciaEM — April 20th, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

Thanks, I thought I was loosing my mind, I read it 3 times and still couldn’t find where the milk went, it sounds so good, can’t wait to try it.T

Lakeria — July 3, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

when exactly do you add the milk ?

Julie — March 11, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

This cake is amazing!!! The zing is out of this world; a must for citrus lovers!

Zannie — March 24, 2013 @ 8:06 am

I made a modified version of this recipe yesterday. It came out great, thanks so much! :-)

Elenore Fiscella — April 30, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

There are many styles and genres of dance. African dance is interpretative. Ballet, ballroom and tango are classical dance styles. Square dance and electric slide are forms of step dance, and breakdancing is a type of street dance. Dance can be participatory, social, or performed for an audience. It can also be ceremonial, competitive or erotic. Dance movements may be without significance in themselves, as in ballet or European folk dance, or have a gestural vocabulary or symbolic meaning as in some Asian dances.-,

Bye for now

Laura — June 8, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

I LOVE pound cake and am totally loving the idea of vanilla lime.