I have so much to tell you about this breakfast that I don’t even know where to start.

How about not calling it breakfast? Because I ate it for lunch. And I also think it makes an appropriate dinner.

While perusing the menu at Square Cafe this past weekend, I was incredibly drawn to the white bean hash. I couldn’t bring myself to order it; the lure of buttery, toasted ciabatta, thick, crispy bacon and melted gruyere pulled me in. So I went with the breakfast sandwich. But the hash continued to haunt me throughout my meal and even the rest of the day. I couldn’t stop talking about it.
I had to find some way to combine said menu ingredients and get this in my life as soon as possible.

This was my first time using leeks! I was a leek virgin.

Now I’m a leek convert.

I mean… wouldn’t you be if you had caramelized them in bacon grease?

Since I never even laid eyes on the dish, all I had going for me was my superior memory – the memory that gets Mr. How Sweet in trouble approximately six times a month. I remember everything.
I knew the hash was full of leeks, pancetta and white beans. Sure sounded like a winning combination to me. But that’s all I knew.

Words can’t even describe. To my cast iron skillet: marry me.

After tossing the beans into the skillet, I used a few twists and turns with a wooden spatula to mash some beans but left most of them whole. I couldn’t have asked for a better texture.

And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, I threw some buttery eggs up on top.
Creamy beans, sweet, caramelized onions, crunchy, salty bacon and perfect eggs. I only have one question for you…

Why are you still reading this? You need to get in your kitchen and make it… stat.

White Bean Hash

serves 2-3

4 slices of bacon or 1/2 cup chopped pancetta

2 leeks, trimmed, sliced and cleaned

1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

2-3 eggs (or however many you want)

Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add the bacon or pancetta and cook until browned. Remove the bacon, leaving the grease in the pan and drain on a paper towel. Add the sliced, cleaned leeks (make sure they are dry) to the bacon grease and saute until caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. At this point you can add more butter/olive oil if needed – I added a tiny bit of bacon grease I had stored in the fridge.

Add beans and bacon back into the skillet. Stir for about a minute. At this point you can either fry some eggs in a separate skillet, or push the hash to the sides and fry the eggs in the middle. Make sure the beans, leeks and bacon are thoroughly mixed.

Serve the hash with the eggs on top.

I really don’t think I’ll be eating anything else for dinner this week. I’m not kidding.

117 Responses to “White Bean Breakfast Hash.”

WenDee Riffe — January 17, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

so glad your no longer a leek-virgin!!! i was until this summer and so glad i found them!!!! mmm~~~this sounds very interesting!!!! yet–its got me interested!!!!! which is what you want–right???go job guuurl!!! i am gonn have to try this one as well!!!!! LOL!!! keepem’ comin’ WenDee

Moni'sMeals — January 17, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

I adore this recipe! So creative. :)
    Yummmmmmm.

Heather — January 17, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Mmm, that last pic with the yolk drippage makes my mouth water! I’ve only cooked with leeks once…two years ago when I made a Christmas brunch casserole that was to die for! I forgot about it until just now. I really need to go buy some leeks now!

nico — January 17, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

This is so unique and it looks incredible!

Alissa — January 17, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

This looks really good! I’m also a leek virgin, though you’re not anymore, so I might have to give it a go! :-) Love your blog and your pictures are wonderful…

Courtney @ the granola chronicles — January 17, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

Oooh, leeks! I used them for the first time back in the fall. They were a part of our CSA produce box.

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — January 17, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

Looks sooo sooooo good! I love the idea of white beans for breakfast!!!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 17, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Looks delicious! I want to try this :)

Blond Duck — January 17, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

I didn’t know you could make bean hash!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — January 17, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

Ooo, now that looks yummy. I would love it, but my husband would absolutely go nuts for it. Thanks for sharing, Jessica! This is a must-try next weekend.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 17, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

that would DEF be dinner or lunch for me!! i prefer more ‘sweet’ than savory breakfast like oats with tons of cinnamon but lunch ordinner?? BRING IT ON! YUM

kate — January 17, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

I was a leek virgin for far too long. Im a total convert now too!

• Jessica — January 17th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

They are so good!

Window On The Prairie — January 17, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Looks like a great brunch, or quick supper too. Thanks for sharing.
    Suzanne

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — January 17, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

This looks delish! Your eggs are super professional looking. I’m impressed!

• Jessica — January 17th, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

Thanks!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 17, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

this is scott’s idea of heaven on a plate. onions, bacon, and eggs.

your eggs are perfect! i have no idea how you 1. make the eggs that perfectly but then 2. photography them perfectly. They arent like a hunk of chocolate that looks the same from any angle or any amt of time elapsed. They are very fickle…

major props!

Low — January 17, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

That looks terrific! I love white beans.

Lauren — January 17, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Looks amazing! Have you ever thought of adding a bit of chicken stock and crushed red pepper to the mix? The beans absorb the chicken stock and become even more tender. You must keep the panchetta of course…but that might be a nice twist too!

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:07 am

That sounds delish Lauren! You are full of yummy ideas.

Abby — January 17, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

YOU MADE IT! Yes!!!!

And I, too, remember everything…

Unless it’s something I’m supposed to do.. like turn down the heat, pay the bill, feed the dog. I forget stupid things like that.

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:06 am

Ditto.

Baking Serendipity — January 17, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

I’ve never used leeks before either. This looks like a good way to start!

carolinebee — January 17, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

HEyyyyy stranga!! I love the new site (well maybe new to me!), it looks awesome and I am def catching up on all your amazing dishes :D Just wanted to pop back in and say hiiii! That hash looks to die for, i honestly would not put those ingredients together in my mind….but per usual you have defied the odds ;D

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:06 am

Where have you been all my life?! Welcome back! Now stay here. :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit — January 17, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

I’ve never cooked with leeks before either, and this looks amazing! Must try.

chelsie — January 17, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

This looks delicious. I’m a leek virgin too, but this recipe and my burning desire to make potato leek soup means I will be losing my leek virginity in the very near future.

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Doooo it.

Alecia — January 17, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

This was an easy and quick dinner to make! Thank you for sharing.

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:05 am

You are welcome! Glad you liked it. ;)

Cara Craves... — January 18, 2011 @ 12:06 am

This would make the most marvelous meal any time of the day!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 18, 2011 @ 1:30 am

I’d eat this for any meal of the day too! Those eggs photographed beautifully :)

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Thank you. :)

Kat — January 18, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Sounds unusual, easy, and delicious!

Elle — January 18, 2011 @ 3:03 am

So I was commenting on Bakerella’s chocolate crackles. Read a few of the comments there stopped and scrolled a bit and saw your comment. I tried gooey butter cake for the first time about 10 days ago and it was sooooo delish. This one was overdone though and not gooey, but still yummy. I’m making it for my mom’s bday next month. Proud to be resisting ’till then! Great recipes here, will be trying some soon!

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:03 am

Thanks for stopping by Elle! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 18, 2011 @ 3:19 am

Lately I have been obsessed with sunny side up eggs on top of dishes (rice, whatever) – it is so good! I will definitely be trying this one!!

Amanda — January 18, 2011 @ 3:23 am

This looks delicious! I’m a recent convert to fried eggs and those make the dish look fantastic.

Ashley — January 18, 2011 @ 4:18 am

I’m jealous of the perfect lighting you have and of your ability to cook perrrrfect sunny side up eggs. You should start teaching photography now!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 18, 2011 @ 4:33 am

I’m more of a sweets for breakfast type person, but this hash looks amazing! Yum!

Jenn (www.real-nutrition-nyc.com) — January 18, 2011 @ 5:20 am

mmm must make this dish now!!!!!! thanks for the inspiration! http://www.real-nutrition-nyc.com

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — January 18, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I love beans with anything so you don’t need to convince ME how good this would be! I already saved it and I’m quite sure it will be on the dinner menu soon! Thanks!

Kay Carrasco — January 19, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

Oooo, leeks! I love ‘em, they make me smile. :) I’ve actually had checkers at the grocery store ask me What *are* those things? What do you *do* with them? So I give them a leek tutorial on the spot. Hee!

This recipe looks wonderful. The only thing is… m’lady *where is the garlic*?!? Leeks practically *require* it, just like bacon. Srsly. It’ll go beautifully with the white beans too.

I popped over here from Pioneer Woman. Congrats on becoming a regular on TK. And after just a quick look around, I’m bookmarking this page too! :)

• Jessica — January 19th, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Welcome! And next time… the garlic is going in!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — January 25, 2011 @ 3:03 am

I like the sound of a white bean hash!

Heather — January 29, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

I just made a vegetarian version of this using morningstar veggie bacon and earth balance butter. Amazing! I am so glad I stumbled across this delicious blog!

lauramich — February 26, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Made this for dinner tonight! Okay, made a meal inspired by this, composed of Great Northern beans + bacon + onion (because I’m too cheap to buy leeks) + pepper and thyme + soft-cooked egg. Yum.

Also: Leftover roasted Brussels sprouts for me; cornbread for everyone else.

Teh Husband was a bit skeptical about something called “hash,” but he gave it a thumbs-up!

barbi — July 8, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

I made this for lunch today. used onions (didn’t have any leeks) and added some frozen, chopped spinach in with the onions. yummy! I need to get some leeks and try them too. thanks!

JJ — August 29, 2011 @ 1:50 am

Oh man, the hash… I think I just pee’d in my pants a little. Which, is totally a shame, seeing as how I already have the car keys in my hand to go to the market for leeks & white beans. I’m not young enough, nor old enough, to be shopping like that.

Gabrielle — February 22, 2014 @ 11:08 am

I had the white bean hash at the Square Cafe about a year ago. It is my favorite breakfast dish that I’ve had thus far in my life. So delicious!! I was actually looking for a recipe to recreate it when I came across this! So excited (: I think I will make it tomorrow!