I’ve been in NASCAR jail since Friday afternoon.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

In case you didn’t know, today is the Daytona 500. I didn’t know this for 24 years. But now that I have Mr. How Sweet in my life, he will never let me forget it. It will most likely be his best day of 2011… depending on who wins of course.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

He’s been glued to the TV all weekend, watching and re-watching every possible NASCAR special known to man. I even think some tears were shed. But you didn’t hear that from me.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

He has the diecast cars out to decorate and is wearing a Dale Earnhardt t-shirt from 1991. And there might be a big cooler of beer in the foyer.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

Needless to say, I’m running far, far away until Sunday evening. And taking some credit cards with me.
Since the only food gracing our kitchen this afternoon is 16 pounds of meat and a gallon of ketchup, I wanted to leave him something else to snack on. And since he absolutely loves rice crispy treats, and since I’m so annoyingly obsessed with cake batter flavors, I quickly combined the two. The result is a cakey-flavored crispy treat with tons of sprinkles. Love.

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Cake Batter Crispy Treats

original recipe on the back of the cereal box!

3 tablespoons butter

1 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows

1/4 cup yellow cake mix

6 cups rice krispies cereal

1 1.75-ounce container of sprinkles

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix. Press into a baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting. I find spraying a knife with nonstick spray helps to cut them.

[/print_this]

Cake Batter Crispy Treats I howsweeteats.com

Chances are these will last less than 30 seconds. I can already see him alternating bites of burgers and crispy treats.

221 Responses to “Cake Batter Crispy Treats.”

Michelle — February 20, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

What a totally fun twist on a classic. I can’t wait to try this.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner — February 20, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

This is one of the most creative things I have ever heard of? If I had some Rice Krispies, I would honestly get up and make these right now. I bet they are amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 20, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

For a while I was obsessed with making cake batter ice cream, I have a feeling these might just become a new obsession for me too!

Patty — February 20, 2011 @ 11:15 pm

Did you know that last summer I bought 5 bottles of birthday cake flavored snow cone syrup? Yep, tastes just like vanilla birthday cake. Yum Yum!

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Jealous! That sounds awesome.

foodie and the chef — February 20, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

These are adorable – I’ve has rice crackles before (with copha and chocolate) but never tried these… I feel like I need to make up for a little missed part of my childhood and whip these up toute suite ! They look wonderfully chewy :)

Jess — February 21, 2011 @ 12:23 am

This is adorable, love it!!
    Jess : )

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 21, 2011 @ 12:34 am

Umm yea, I love rice krispie treats and you may have just made the grand daddy of them all, no joke :)
    I would feel no shame in eating these for breakfast, brunch, lunch, linner and dinner!

emily — February 21, 2011 @ 12:40 am

i need to make these asap!! so incredible…i might feature them in my blog soon

Hannah — February 21, 2011 @ 1:48 am

You’re becoming dangerously close to making me buy boxed cake mix for the first time in my life. I’ve never even considered doing so, as baking cakes from scratch is wonderful and easy. But these cake batter treats, Jessica.. they’re like magic.

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 3:04 am

You can also make your own cake mix!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — February 21, 2011 @ 2:36 am

The other day I saw marshmallow in a jar and thought about making rice crispy treats. Obviously I should have. Now I’m dying to have these in my house!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 21, 2011 @ 2:48 am

Oh no you didn’t! :)

Lauren — February 21, 2011 @ 2:59 am

These look great! They remind me of the cake batter you made around Christmas time. I made rice treats this week, too. They had Nutella and peanut butter in them…

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 21, 2011 @ 3:08 am

These crispy treats look awesome. So pretty & festive with the sprinkles :)

Kristen — February 21, 2011 @ 3:19 am

YUUUUUMMMY! holy moly those look awesome!

Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses — February 21, 2011 @ 3:28 am

Those look amazing! You rock girl.

Runeatrepeat — February 21, 2011 @ 3:39 am

Sprinkles make me ridiculously happy :)

Katherine @ Grass Stains — February 21, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Salivating. LITERALLY salivating right now.

staci — February 21, 2011 @ 4:01 am

OMG..do these look delicious!?!?

I know my kids would love them (and by kids, I mean ME) :)

Megan — February 21, 2011 @ 4:20 am

I’m not a huge rice krispy fan but I know lots of people at work who are so I whipped up a batch of these tonight. Did some quality control testing and these are sooo much better than normal rice krispy treats. I love them and I know my co-workers will too. Thanks for another great recipe.

Baking Serendipity — February 21, 2011 @ 4:37 am

I think I’d take a few of these with the credit cards in the NASCAR escape :) Hope you’ve survived!

Kristin — February 21, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Wow so delicious looking! I would smear some vanilla frosting on the top for sure ;)

Erica — February 21, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I adore foods that taste like cake batter. These look amazing.

Blond Duck — February 21, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Yesterday we finally went out for our Valentine’s Day date for BBQ. I ordered 2 ribs and a 1/4 lb of brisket a la carte and the waitress tried to bring them to Ben. You should have seen her face when we switched!

Sonya — February 21, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Cake batter is not an annoying obsession! Its very noble if you ask me! :)

Sonya — February 21, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Cake batter is not an annoying obsession! Its very noble if you ask me! :)

Oh and I am sorry to say that I enjoy NASCAR. Don’t hate me! :)

jenna laughs — February 21, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

This is brilliant!! I love rice krispie treats… and I never feel bad about eating them. I mean, there’s no flour or anything. You can eat the whole pan without actually consuming any calories… right? I love the sweet flavor of cake batter, so I bet these are fabulous. I also love when you said you have been in NASCAR jail. That is how I would feel too, lady!

Amanda — February 21, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — February 21, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Hehe, I love this! :D

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 21, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

you and your sprinkles! Seriously, if you don’t stop posting about them, I will be forced to keep buying them! :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 21, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I love all of your cake batter creations! these look particularly fabulous!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 21, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I’m pretty sure my kids have never had a rice krispie treat of any kind – I need to remedy that soon.

Bethany — February 21, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

you know tears were shed! it’s been 10 years since Earnhardt lost his life at that track! so sad.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 21, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

This is genius!

kate@ahealthypassion — February 21, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

these take me back to my childhood, except better

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 21, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

Ohh these look so fun and yummy! I love all of your cake batter recipes!

envie recipes — February 22, 2011 @ 1:47 am

ok…this is so weird that I am just going to have to try it! I’m enjoying your blog!

Nicole — February 22, 2011 @ 2:08 am

saw the recipe this morning in my inbox…went to the store on my lunch break…and made these as soon as I got home! THANK YOU for posting this recipe…it was a hit! :)

Rachel — February 22, 2011 @ 2:14 am

Your rice crispy treats are oh so pretty <3

Tracy @ Commit To Fit — February 22, 2011 @ 2:42 am

Love rice crispy treats! You can never go wrong with these and with cake batter…hello!

Kelli — February 22, 2011 @ 4:54 am

Oh great, I was trying to NOT have dessert every day, but now I’m going to have to make these tomorrow!

Lindsay — February 22, 2011 @ 5:09 am

Ooh, I made these just now! They are amazing! I couldn’t wait 30 minutes to eat one. Who cares if they loom pretty!?? Hehe! Ok, off to get a 2nd one…

CaSaundra — February 22, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I don’t blame you for wanting to get away during racing–definitely NOT my thing either haha. And I will never get sick of your cake batter creations–keep em coming :-)

Ann Walker — February 22, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Did you know that if you ask nicely at the bakery department of your grocery store they will sell you sprinkles IN BULK!!!! (I did that yesterday!!)

• Jessica — February 22nd, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

NO!!! Oh my gosh, I must try.

Jess — February 22, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

what a great twist on an old favorite, i need to try these with funfetti cake mix. mmmmm.

megan — February 22, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

I have to say that every time I see sprinkles now, I think of you saying, “the world is a better place with sprinkles!” I agree!!!

Christine — February 22, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

This is the first time I’m visited your blog and as soon as I saw these I knew it deserved a bookmark.

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:12 am

Haha! Thanks for visiting. :)

Heather — February 23, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Oh my goodness girl! Genius! I am loving your obsession with cake batter!

Lisa — February 23, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I made your cake batter bark, and LOVED it…so I had to try this…
    But I didn’t really taste the cake batter….With the bark, I ended up doubling the amount of cake mix I used, so I did the same with this…and STILL didn’t taste it…
    weird….

I mean, it tastes good cause rice krispy treats are great….but I miss the cake batter taste…

McKenzie T — February 28, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! These treats are ADDICTING!! I never thought of adding cake batter to a rice krispy treat before, but this has really opened my eyes to all of the possibilities! I cannot wait to try even more of your creations!

Kelly — March 2, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

I’m slllloowwww to see this recipe. I’m thinking I’ll have to make these for my sister for her birthday. She loves a good rice krispie treat.

1. Pingback: BWE: Baking with ExTrAs « Acronym of the Day

2. Pingback: Marshmallow Treats 2 Ways

3. Pingback: WIAW: Master Chef | Films, Food, and Beer

4. Pingback: {Recipe} Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats – Healthy Coconut

5. Pingback: Happy 4th of July! Cake Batter Rice Crispy Treats

6. Pingback: Brooke Murphy Photography | Brooke Murphy Photography

7. Pingback: Craft Crawlers » In the Kitchen: Cake Batter Crispy Treats

8. Pingback: Confetti Slice | Frocks & Frou Frou

9. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Rice Krispy Treats | Bake with Christina

10. Pingback: Sweet and simple treats for back to school #eggfree | The Mommy Times