Wanna hear something weird? I love mustard. Really love mustard.

And I know I’ve kind of worn out chicken’s welcome this week. I don’t know what got in to me.

With Mr. How Sweet still recuperating, I think I was trying to cheer him up with multiple chicken dishes. Because honestly, he has driven me insane the last 14 days from his prison on the couch. In a loving way… of course.

Thank goodness he is back up and running.

Do you know the secret to perfectly golden chicken? You just need to make sure it is dry! It’s that easy. It’s so simple that I’m practically embarrassed to share.

You can really do anything you want with this too. Serve it with mashed potatoes, put it on skewers, eat it with your hands like Mr. How Sweet. Or throw it in a wrap like I did. Because everything is better in a wrap. Especially when cheese is involved.

[print_this]

Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken

makes 4 chicken breasts

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup dijon mustard

1-2 tablespoons spicy mustard (I used Trader Joe’s Sweet + Hot)

salt & pepper

Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add olive oil. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel so it is very, very dry. Season with salt and pepper generously. Add chicken to skillet and brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes each, depending on the thickness.

In a bowl, combine honey and both mustards. Whisk well.

Remove chicken and while it is still hot, brush on mustard.  Serve!

[/print_this]

Now that I’ve provided you with a plethora of dinner recipes in the last 7 days, get ready for a week full of bacon and chocolate only. I think. Maybe? I didn’t think about that until I just wrote it out. I wonder if I could do it? Obviously. Like I even need to question that. I might. We’ll see. But maybe not.

I’ll stop now. It was nice having this chat.

123 Responses to “Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken.”

Katrina — February 4, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

I don’t think that’s weird. I also really love mustard. It’s just so darn good!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 4, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

I love mustard too – but not as much as ketchup.

Question – your photos are always absolutely gorgeous even when you say it’s for dinner. Do you use a lightbox or are you in some kind of special time warp that allows your house to stay light until 9 PM?

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Hahahah! Nope, I make most of our food during the day, make mass quantities of it so there is enough for lunches and dinner… then reheat. I’d say I do this maybe 50% of the time. Yes, it’s a sacrifice, but my husband also doesn’t get home until almost 9 pm and there is no way I’m slaving over a hot stove at 8:30. That’s my bedtime!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Oh! I should also add that I do have professional lowel lights to use at night that make it look like daylight. I rarely use them anymore though.

Gen — February 4, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Yum! Mustard is my favorite condiment!

Hannah — February 4, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Wanna hear about loving mustard? I used to eat spoonfuls of the wholegrain variety as a kid. I also used to sip on vinegar.

Somewhere along the way, I discovered my sweet tooth, but it sure as all get out wasn’t when I was halfway through our condiment shelf…

P.S. Recipe looks lovely!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Ah! I love vinegar too. So, so, so much. Must be something with our taste buds!

• Hannah — February 4th, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

If you come up with a vinegar chocolate bark/vinegar peanut butter bar/etc, I promise I’ll blog your recipe too :P

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 4, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

We have like 5 different mustards in our fridge :) They go with everything :)

This chicken looks delicious! We love honey dijon!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 4, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Mustard is one of my fave’s!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 4, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

This chicken looks really tasty- my husband is a huge mustard lover too. So glad your husband is recovering well!

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 4, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

My daughter came back from school yesterday telling me how much she wants me to make honey chicken & here it is! Looks great, even with all that mustard. xo

Amanda (Eating Up) — February 4, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I’ve made a recipe similar to this before, and it was delicious! I like your idea about putting it in a wrap!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 4, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

I love all kinds of mustards too!

Nothing wrong with a chocolate and bacon week – I think it’d be the PERFECT lead into Valentine’s Day :)

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 4, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

I’m not getting tired of chicken recipes at all! I’ve just started cooking more chicken and need to stock up on recipes. Everything you make looks amazing!

And that simple tip? Totally necessary for clueless people like me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 4, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I am not a big mustard fan at all, and I’m always hesitant to use it in recipes because I feel like the taste would be really strong. A few people have told me that if it’s used in marinades and things it’s really not as strong tasting, but I still haven’t tried it. I’m sure it would be good in that wrap of yours though. Glad Mr How Sweet is on the mend!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

You may like it if you mix it with equal parts honey! Give it a try. My husband isn’t a huge fan but he likes it that way.

Natalie — February 4, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Looks great. Balsamic vinegar and honey dijon have always been one of my fav mixes to use on chicken. Best of both worlds

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Me too!

Kristen@PrettySweet — February 4, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

The husband and I both like mustard, but he thiiinks he doesn’t like dijon mustard. I’ve been trying to change that perception because I’m just pretty sure it’s not true. “Oh, you really like that? Well, huh. It has dijon mustard in it.” =) (NOTE: this trickery does not work with TUNA. Dijon yes, tuna NO.)

This recipe will fit right into my evil plan. He loves anything with honey. We go through a lot of honey bears in this house.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — February 4, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

We love mustard over here too. That chicken looks great in a wrap!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 4, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Mustard is an amazing condiment… and I’m not even all that into condiments! I used to hate honey mustard when I was a kid, but now I can’t get enough. Making up for lost time.

Amanda @ The Nutritionist Reviews — February 4, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

That wrap looks awesome!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 4, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I still haven’t acquired a taste for mustard but my husband would love this! He would probably use about 10x the mustard though. He’s a mustard whore.

carolinebee — February 4, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

ahh just ate a wrap yesterday- are they NOT the hardest things to photograph!? lol, i had about 50 pics of my hand contorted in the weirdest ways holding it…awkward!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

Yes! This was horrible. Will never photograph one again.

Blog is the New Black — February 4, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I love mustard, too! Love the simplicity of this recipe.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 4, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

No veggies?! I’m in! :) No really… this looks great. I’m always game for a good chicken recipe.

Marisa @ Loser for Life — February 4, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

YUMMO! I’m a mustard fan, too! My new fave is horseradish mustard!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — February 4, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

I an’t stand mustard! I put ketchup on everything ;)

Kristy — February 4, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

I love how simple this is. It’s always great to find new things to do with chicken.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 4, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

“I love it so much that I just showed you a bowl full of mustard. The things we do for love…” – ahaha I “LOLed” at this…but I love mustard just as much. This looks phenomenal.

Marilyn — February 4, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Everything is definitely better in a wrap! I wish I had something to wrap up right now! ;)

rebecca lustig — February 4, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

i LOVE mustards. I’m always so surprised by the variety of types and flavors and spices!

one of these days, i will make my own

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 4, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I love mustard! This looks fantastic. You are totally right about everything being better in a wrap. I don’t know why exactly, but everything really does taste better!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — February 4, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I love mustard–and there are so many varieties of it, all of which taste slightly different. Great on pretzels and potato chips.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — February 4, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

I also love mustard. This would be delicious.

With vegetables.

Maria — February 4, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Great idea to wrap it up!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — February 4, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

I’ve gotta have mustard missed with other things… like honey. Honey takes it to the top! Yet another deeeelish recipe Jessica!

Kim in MD — February 4, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

YUM! It looks delicious!

Cynthia — February 4, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

That chicken looks so delicious!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 4, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I love mustard and honey combo =] But I also love ketchup. Ketchup on anything..I’ll eat. It’s a problem. And a week full of chocolate and bacon recipes is totally okay with me =]

Katie — February 4, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Where were you last night? I wanted chicken in a bad way, and I love mustard, but I was too stupid to put the idea together. This is why I need you. Thanks. I’ll be making this later today. (I really do mean thanks, even though it sounded all huffy.)

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

brandi — February 4, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I LOVE mustard! I probably have 5 or 6 different ones in my fridge right now.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — February 4, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Chicken is about the only thing my husband likes (maybe our husbands should get together?) so I’ve appreciated all the fabulous dishes!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 4, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

Yes – I would love a week of bacon and chocolate — perfect for the week before Valentines Day :)

thehealthyapron — February 4, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

OOOOOOOOO how yummy!

Nicole — February 4, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Thank you for the end in the chicken recipes… because I’m in the “every meat makes me sick” stage of pregnancy, and yet I can’t help but check your blog every day. Glutton for punishment. I’m looking forward to the chocolate posts :)

Eliana — February 4, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Hmmm – looks perfectly delicious to me :)

lovely coconuts — February 4, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I LOVE Trader Joe’s spicy-sweet mustard. I have 2 jars in my fridge. I like anything mustardy, spicy or vinegar-y like pickles :) Love your recipes! Made the buffalo nachos the other night and they were great. I was running out of things to buffalitize!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

Glad you liked the nachos!

phuong — February 4, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Looks really good!

Jess — February 4, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

it took me over 25 years to realize i loved mustard. now i usually have up to 5 varieties on hand….you know, just in case.

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

You gotta make up for lost time!

elena — February 4, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

This looks delicious. I usually don’t like mustard, but I feel like trying this one. Thanks!

mary (what's cookin with mary) — February 4, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

I am a huge mustard lover… I think we have 6 different kinds in te fridge LOL… over kill?? I think not. This recipe sounds great Jessica!! Love that I already have everything on hand ;)

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

That’s not overkill me to!

Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef — February 4, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

mmm, I love honey and mustard!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 4, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I too am obsessed with mustard. Sadly, I don’t eat chicken. But I can go to town on a tofu dog or soft pretzel loaded up with mustard! Bring it!

• Jessica — February 4th, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

Love soft pretzels with mustard!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 4, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

i adore mustard too…nate actually hates it (!!!!!!!) but he’s learned to love it IN things. this sounds amazing!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken Wrap | The Spiffy Cookie

3. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Penne | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: WIAW4 « LightOnMyFeet

5. Pingback: Recipe Review | Tied Up With String

6. Pingback: Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken « David's

7. Pingback: Caramelized Honey Dijon Chicken {How Sweet It Is} « Pin. Eat. Review.

8. Pingback: Meal planning and a paleo update | Big Fat F: Flying Through Life with Faith

9. Pingback: 50 Easy and Delicious Chicken Breast Recipes

10. Pingback: Fresh Food Friday: 50 Easy and Delicious Chicken Breast Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff

11. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday, 1/15/14 | A Bow and Arrow

12. Pingback: Copycat Chick-Fil-A Honey Mustard Sauce (with Chicken) | shinycopperpig