Told you that I love pink!

And I’ve had dyed fingers all week to prove it. Contrary to what Mr. How Sweet believes, I do shower. Sometimes.
This is a two-for-one recipe, as I made two different batches of cake balls but threw them together for Valentines’ Day sake.

My favorite are the strawberry cake balls covered in milk chocolate, but I also made some vanilla cake balls with a tiny bit of pink food coloring for Mr. How Sweet.

I know this question is coming, so I do not recommend straying from the boxed cake mix unless you are a seasoned baker. By using a boxed mix, I know that every single time I make the cake balls, they will turn out. And I know that every single time, I will only need 1 1/2 cups of my own frosting, or 1 can of prepared frosting. While this is super easy, it is a lot of “busy” work – prepare the cake, bake the cake, crumble the cake, refrigerate, roll the balls, refrigerate again, dip in chocolate, decorate, refrigerate…
I don’t have the time nor the desire to screw up proportions and have to start again. I have more important things to do, like watch Dawson’s Creek reruns and fry bacon to replenish my jar of grease in the fridge. Plus, who doesn’t love cake balls?

Technically the pink velvet ones aren’t really pink velvet. But along with vanilla extract, I added a drop of chocolate extract for a bit of cocoa flavor. I’ve been making Mr. How Sweet red velvet cake balls for years, as they are one of his favorite treats. Right up there with chocolate chip cookies and Diet Coke.

You can also find many fun ways to decorate them.

I used a pink sugar sparkle glaze, some sprinkles, and extra drizzled chocolate.

Thank goodness I have a spouse, because if I was left to my own devices I’d probably buy hot pink carpeting and hot pink paint. It would be putrid.
I’m sure you can guess which ones I hoarded for myself due to my obsession with sprinkles.

Almost as good as a real chocolate covered strawberry, which just happen to be one of my favorite treats. I’d buy stock in Godiva chocolate strawberries if I could. They can’t be beat.

[print_this]

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Balls

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix, prepared and baked

1 1/2 cups cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces high quality white, dark or milk chocolate (I often use Ghiradelli or Lindt)

additional pink food coloring if desire (I used a drop for a more pink look)

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Prepare cake batter and bake as directed. I often use a 9 x 13 cake pan as I find this is easiest.

Once cake has cooled, scoop it out of the cake pan and into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add frosting and mix on low to medium speed until a pink dough forms. This can also be done by hand, but may not be mixed as well and will take longer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Roll in 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper laying on a sheet pan. Freeze the balls for at least 1 hour. Right before removing, melt chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (if in the microwave, melt in 30 second increments until melted completely). Using a fork, dip balls in chocolate and gently flip it around, just until coated. Lift it out with the fork, allowing any excess chocolate to drip off. Decorate as desired, refrigerating immediately after for at least a few minutes.

We like these best chilled, but they can also be kept at room temperature.
Pink Velvet Cake Truffles

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines again), prepared and baked

1 teaspoon vanilla or chocolate extract (or both) to add to cake batter

1 1/2 cups buttercream or cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces white, dark or milk chocolate

a few drops of pink food coloring

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Follow exact instructions as chocolate covered strawberry cake truffles, adding pink food coloring to cake batter while mixing.

[/print_this]

In other news, you don’t even want to know what I had for lunch yesterday. You’re going to find out tomorrow, but it’s totally not what you think.

218 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Strawberry and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles.”

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 10, 2011 @ 11:59 am

This is so pretty – I love pink! Perfect for Valentines Day! :-D

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 10, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Yum! These are so pretty!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 10, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Yum!!! These would be so cute for a baby shower too!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 10, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Love this idea! I’m babysitting my niece and nephew the day before Valentine’s Day and I was trying to think of something easy that we could do to make for my sister and brother in law. These are awesome.

I think you ate cake balls for lunch.

• chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

on top of a salad.

Oh, and I heard on the radio yesterday that people were saying chocolate and bacon don’t go together. I thought of you.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Those people have never tasted heaven.
        And nope, not cake balls!

Hannah — February 10, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

OMG, Dawson’s Creek! I was obsessed when it first came out (I was about 10, and I even made a scrapbook), but then it got so bad I never watched the final seasons. Apparently Jen died?!

I’d never shower if I had icing on me, either.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Wow. I’m sort of depressed that you were only 10 when Dawsons came on…

• Hannah — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

I just checked. I was 11. Don’t you feel better now? ;)

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Ummm… no. Hahaha.

• Baking 'n' Books — February 11th, 2011 @ 2:32 am

Oh God – I’m with ya Jess! LOL….but oh-so-painfully-true though…how am I almost 30??

Going through a “Thrisis” (mid-life-almost-30-crisis) BIG-TIME.

…hmmm…that’s what I should tailor my blog after….

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — February 10, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Those are so pretty! I tried making cake balls once and they turned out awful. I don’t think I refrigerated them enough so they were VERY moist and not in a good way. They tasted like soggy cake. Blech.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

I actually find it’s bed to put them in the freezer! They never fully freeze and we love eating them that way.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 10, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Oh boy! My daughter (and me) would devour these! We LOVE cake truffles more than life itself!

They are so pretty too :)

Lauren — February 10, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

If these aren’t perfect for Valentine’s Day, I don’t know what is! Both the cake balls and the cake truffles are gorgeous.

What channel plays Dawson’s Creek reruns?! I haven’t seen ‘em since I was in college over 5 years ago. I loved that show ;).

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

No reruns on of Dawsons! So sad. I have some DVDs.

Nicole @ making good choices — February 10, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

These are so cute!! The Pink makes them look even tastier. How did you not pop like ten of these at once?

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Hahaha that wasn’t hard… but now that they are still here I randomly pop one every few hours. Not good.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 10, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

the pink is just soooo beautiful!! OMG Jessica, these are beautiful! They are like eating a Chanel purse…my fave shade of pink :)

Eliana — February 10, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

These look super super delish girl and of course super cute :)

Kristy — February 10, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Love these. I thought the first pink pic was frosting. I would go over the top and dip them in a pink chocolate coating. God I love pink!

bridget {bake at 350} — February 10, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Perfect for Valentine’s Day! They are too cute!

Blond Duck — February 10, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

There’s nothing cuter than pink treats!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 10, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

These are so pretty – and I love the idea of using a cocoa extract! That pink glaze is pretty.

Blog is the New Black — February 10, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I made cake balls for the first time last weekend- AMAZING! I’m making them again this weekend for V-day!

CaSaundra — February 10, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Ooo yay for more pink! :-) Cake balls are actually on my agenda for this weekend!

Gen — February 10, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

So cute!
    Cute, yummy food is my favorite! Plus they’re small, so they’re calorie-free right? =D

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

Oh yes. You can eat multiples.

Heather — February 10, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

genius! these are so my Valentine’s day style ;)

VeggieGirl — February 10, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Dawson’s Creek + those truffles = that’d be perfect :)

Kristen@PrettySweet — February 10, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Oh, man, I love that pink! They’re just beautiful for Valentine’s Day. =)

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 10, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I requested strawberry cake with strawberry frosting (and sprinkles, of course) for my birthday every single year growing up. I would have never thought to mix the cake with the frosting but now I must try it. I have way too many ideas for Valentine’s Day. My husband is going to be overwhelmed with all my baked gifts, but really I’m mostly making these things for me.

steph@stephsbitebybite — February 10, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

This may sound weird, don’t take it the wrong way. But can I be you Valentine? Just so that I can have some of these :)

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 10, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Those are perfection. I’d LOVE to give those out to friends on Valentine’s! So sweet and girly. I’ve tried red velvet cake balls, and dipping them was definitely the hardest part. I need to work on my skillz…

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

I leave mine in the freezer up until the second I dip them, then I dip with forks! Been dipping with forks for years and it is literally foolproof. Try it!

• Betty Jo — February 10th, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

You don’t have trouble with them cracking? The first and last time I tried to make these cake balls, my chocolate cracked and/or the cake stuff started oozing out. :(

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

I’ve never ever had a cake ball crack and I’ve been making them for years! What kind of chocolate and which recipe do you use? Do you refrigerate them?

• Casper — February 10th, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

I had the same problem, with them cracking and the cake oozing out. I did chill them. Maybe it was the chocolate I was using, hadn’t thought of that being the problem. What kind of chocolate are you using that works well?

• Betty Jo — February 10th, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

At least I’m not the only one who has struggled with these. The same thing happens when I try to make truffles.

When I made the cake balls – used Red Velvet boxed cake mix, can of cream cheese icing and chocolate almond bark to dip them in. I freezed them before hand and dipped them right out of the freezer. After they sat a bit, the cake stuff started oozing out. Maybe it’s b/c I don’t put them right back in the refrigerator after dipping them? After you dip them, how long do you let them sit out before putting them in the refrigerator?

Thanks for your help and absolutely love your blog!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:36 am

I really don’t let them sit out at all, but that is because we like them chilled best, so they are in the fridge no matter what. Maybe that is why I never have this problem? However, we make cookie trays at Christmas and they sit out for hours and never crack. I really don’t know!
            But perhaps try working in batches (leaving half in the freezer, dipping half, switch, etc) and see if that helps?

Thanks so much for reading!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 10, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I LOVE pink too! These photos are gorgeous. I’m not a huge Valentine’s Day kinda girl, but any excuse to eat pink foods… I’ll take it!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — February 10, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

Too cute! I gotta try these.

natalie @ The SoHo — February 10, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

These are so perfectly adorable. I’m impressed!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — February 10, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Pink perfection!! We looooove!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 10, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Awe, these are so sweet! I love it. Strawberry cake with cream cheese icing is one of my all time favorites. Max actually asked for that as the first birthday cake he could speak well enough to ask for. He loved strawberry milk and he called it “hop hop bunny” (for the Nesquik bunny on it). Oh this made me miss my little guy…he will be 10 on Saturday. Anyway, I went on in this one…the cake balls look delicious!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 1:36 pm

Ah! That is so cute. And did you know that Max is my favorite boy name? ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 10, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Wow! These are gorgeous and they seem fairly simple to make. Thanks!

Sarah Jayne — February 10, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Strawberry cake is MY FAVORITE!!! Most people look at me like I am bonkers when I say my fave is strawberry cake..and now I have a new way of serving it!! perfect.

Do you have your own office at home? You need to deck it out a la Elle Woods! Pink suit, pink lap top, pink walls, pink puffy topped pens, pink sweater jacket for your pet, pink shoes, pink framed pictures of pink things. Love :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 10, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Your pictures in this post are amazing and everything is so pretty with all the pink!

Amanda (Eating Up) — February 10, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Those are so cute! I love that they’re pink!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 10, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

Holy ess those are PERFECT. So PINK. Ahh. Valentine’s day is the best- chocolate and girl colors!

brandi — February 10, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Okay, that’s it. I’ve got to try making my own cake balls already. I love the pink :)

PS: What are you using for the “print” option on your recipes? I’ve seen a few different ways to do it but wasn’t sure which one is the best/easiest.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

I was just discussing this on twitter!
      What I have now is the ‘print thus section’ plugin, but I don’t think it’s working properly. I’ve been trying to find something I like for nearly a year now. I don’t recommend using the google docs option because people can just go to the google url to get your recipes instead of your site. let me know if you find a good one please!

• brandi — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Good to know – that’s what I read about Google Docs, too. I’ll definitely let you know if I find out anything else!

Elle — February 10, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

So sweet! I love the color, and especially that sparkly pink icing!

shabunam — February 10, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

These look very pretty ! Love the pics :)

Taylor @ Delish World — February 10, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

These are SO pretty and perfect for V-day! :)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 10, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I love watching reruns of Dawsons Creek — I never watched the show when it was actually on. I don’t think my mom let me? We also “couldn’t” watch the Simpsons when I was a kid because Bart swore on the show.This is hilarious for me to think about right now!

I love cake balls!!! And yes they are time consuming, so I’m rather make it easy on myself and use a box mix. I love how you decorated yours!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

So funny!! I wasn’t allowed to watch the simpsons either. Or roseanne. Hahaha. And after my parents let me watch 90210, they decided I shouldn’t be watching it. I went to great lengths to sneak that show.

• Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Yep, 90210 was not allowed either — and especially not Melrose Place! :)

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Oh yeah. Definitely couldn’t watch that one. Trash at it’s finest!

• Amy — February 12th, 2011 @ 1:17 am

So glad to know I wasn’t the only kid in the 90′s not allowed to watch all those shows too! But became a Dawson’s Creek junkie once I went to college! :)

LOVE the pink cake balls! So perfect for V-Day!!!

Jen — February 10, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I juat started reading your blog and it’s great I am always looking for new cooking ideas. Since you made the cake balls I was wondering if you have every made the Oreo Chocolate Balls? Which are a hit at every function I bring them too. I woundn’t know since I can’t eat chocolate, terrible I know. They are super easy 1 bag oreos, 1 block of cream cheese. Break the oreos down by banging in a bag then smoosh together with the cream cheese make balls refridgerate then dip in melted chocolate then refridgerate. SO EASY!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Yep! Make ‘em al the time. I’ve also made them with the golden oreos (under cookies in my recipe tab) and I think you could add some pink food coloring to make them pink!

Kristina — February 10, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

your pics are always so flippin amazing! And the food-ughhh…..seriously, i want to move next door!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Thank you so much!

Eliz@The Sweet Life — February 10, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Oh MY! I just want to bathe in that pink goodness. Is that strange?!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

It’s encouraged!

Nicole, RD — February 10, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Never made cake balls…so need to change this! YUM!

Abby — February 10, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

I NEED THESE NOW!

Darn you, Jess! I just started by “no junk food” challenge.

I think I’ll still make them.. shhhhhhhhh.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — February 10, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

You seriously have the best truffle recipes ever! What a great gift idea for Valentines Day….or any day for that matter :-)

Maren — February 10, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

I really want to make these, but don’t have time. So feel free to send me all of yours. Thank you. :)

Amanda — February 10, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

Your pictures are so amazing. The colors really pop and the cake truffles look amazingly delicious. I want all of them with the sparkly pink gel.

Candace — February 10, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Sweeeet, literally! Can’t wait to try them! So happy to have found another sugar-holic within reading distance. Thank you for sharing!

Connie — February 10, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

my jaw literally dropped when I read the title of this post. now im craving some strawberry cake balls!

cakeologist — February 10, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I am making cake pops this weekend for my sons class. Never made them before – really hope they turn out. I have been to multiple stores and cannot find strawberry cake mix ANYWHERE so I guess its white cake with pink dye. Glad my husband is too busy to notice what I have been up! I love hot pink! I have some newly dyed pink hair and have slowly been painting things pink in my house (the front door is next on the list).

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:46 am

Ah good luck! :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Truffles and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Love Is In the Air « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

3. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

4. Pingback: » Valentines Day Cake Balls

5. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

6. Pingback: Cake Balls! « Strong, Healthy, Fit

7. Pingback: Chocolate Covered Strawberry and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles « i FinD Recipes Online

8. Pingback: White chocolate cake pops « Toned In Tie Dye

9. Pingback: Shrimp, Shrimp, & Cake! But not all together | looptoloop

10. Pingback: TT’s Shower Recipe – Cake Pops! « Hoping in God

11. Pingback: Why Comment on Blogs? | i am baker

12. Pingback: Strawberry “Pink” Milk- a facile treat for Valentine’s Day | Girls Dream

13. Pingback: i vanished, but now i’m back! « blondie bakes and bikes

14. Pingback: # nautical baby shower for Booh | hashtag marci

15. Pingback: From the Blogosphere: Yummy Valentines Day Desserts! | Pretty in the East