Told you that I love pink!

And I’ve had dyed fingers all week to prove it. Contrary to what Mr. How Sweet believes, I do shower. Sometimes.
This is a two-for-one recipe, as I made two different batches of cake balls but threw them together for Valentines’ Day sake.

My favorite are the strawberry cake balls covered in milk chocolate, but I also made some vanilla cake balls with a tiny bit of pink food coloring for Mr. How Sweet.

I know this question is coming, so I do not recommend straying from the boxed cake mix unless you are a seasoned baker. By using a boxed mix, I know that every single time I make the cake balls, they will turn out. And I know that every single time, I will only need 1 1/2 cups of my own frosting, or 1 can of prepared frosting. While this is super easy, it is a lot of “busy” work – prepare the cake, bake the cake, crumble the cake, refrigerate, roll the balls, refrigerate again, dip in chocolate, decorate, refrigerate…
I don’t have the time nor the desire to screw up proportions and have to start again. I have more important things to do, like watch Dawson’s Creek reruns and fry bacon to replenish my jar of grease in the fridge. Plus, who doesn’t love cake balls?

Technically the pink velvet ones aren’t really pink velvet. But along with vanilla extract, I added a drop of chocolate extract for a bit of cocoa flavor. I’ve been making Mr. How Sweet red velvet cake balls for years, as they are one of his favorite treats. Right up there with chocolate chip cookies and Diet Coke.

You can also find many fun ways to decorate them.

I used a pink sugar sparkle glaze, some sprinkles, and extra drizzled chocolate.

Thank goodness I have a spouse, because if I was left to my own devices I’d probably buy hot pink carpeting and hot pink paint. It would be putrid.
I’m sure you can guess which ones I hoarded for myself due to my obsession with sprinkles.

Almost as good as a real chocolate covered strawberry, which just happen to be one of my favorite treats. I’d buy stock in Godiva chocolate strawberries if I could. They can’t be beat.

[print_this]

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Balls

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix, prepared and baked

1 1/2 cups cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces high quality white, dark or milk chocolate (I often use Ghiradelli or Lindt)

additional pink food coloring if desire (I used a drop for a more pink look)

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Prepare cake batter and bake as directed. I often use a 9 x 13 cake pan as I find this is easiest.

Once cake has cooled, scoop it out of the cake pan and into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add frosting and mix on low to medium speed until a pink dough forms. This can also be done by hand, but may not be mixed as well and will take longer. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Roll in 1-inch balls and place on parchment paper laying on a sheet pan. Freeze the balls for at least 1 hour. Right before removing, melt chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave (if in the microwave, melt in 30 second increments until melted completely). Using a fork, dip balls in chocolate and gently flip it around, just until coated. Lift it out with the fork, allowing any excess chocolate to drip off. Decorate as desired, refrigerating immediately after for at least a few minutes.

We like these best chilled, but they can also be kept at room temperature.
Pink Velvet Cake Truffles

makes about 40 1-inch balls

1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines again), prepared and baked

1 teaspoon vanilla or chocolate extract (or both) to add to cake batter

1 1/2 cups buttercream or cream cheese frosting (homemade or 1 can of prepared)

6 ounces white, dark or milk chocolate

a few drops of pink food coloring

sprinkles, decorations, etc

Follow exact instructions as chocolate covered strawberry cake truffles, adding pink food coloring to cake batter while mixing.

[/print_this]

In other news, you don’t even want to know what I had for lunch yesterday. You’re going to find out tomorrow, but it’s totally not what you think.

218 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Strawberry and Pink Velvet Cake Truffles.”

Biz — February 10, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

You can never go wrong with a box mix – one of my favorites is to take a Vanilla cake mix and mix it with a can of ginger ale – mix and bake – so delicious! My other favorite is chocolate cake mix with a can of rootbeer – really the possibilities are endless!

Looks delicious as usual – and not a vegetable in sight – love it!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:46 am

I must try this cake with soda thing that everyone is talking about! No eggs or anything else?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 10, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

These are PRECIOUS! They would be great for a baby shower too!

Jess — February 10, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

for some reason i have yet to make cake balls, it’s like they fell off my radar or something. now that my parents are coming to town tomorrow i have an “excuse” to try them out, thanks for the reminder jessica:D

Dana @ my little celebration — February 10, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

OH dear, those look amazing! And how fun?! Great idea Jessica. Very Valentine’s Day-ee.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 10, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Pink Food always taste better =] Especially when you add sprinkles! Those look amazing!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — February 10, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Thanks for the step-by-step. I soooo want to make these!

Aimee Shugarman — February 10, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Wow, you just admitted on the world wide web that you are Dawson’s fan? haha, just teasing. I have seen every episode myself, at least three or four times! They did show reruns a few years ago, but I can’t remember what channel they were on. I used to record them. I know, it’s sad.

Anyways….your cake balls look delish (that totally sounded inappropriate)!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:46 am

I am! No shame. They used to be on TBS for 2 hours every morning.
      Am I pathetic or what?

Katie — February 10, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

I’m not even all about pink, but I am ALL ABOUT these!

Kelly — February 10, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Maybe that is what I did wrong when I made them – no boxed cake mix. Good to know. Happy early V-day to you and Mr. Sweet.

Camille — February 10, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Oh my gosh, awesome!
    I made cake balls last week and everyone was just raving. These are the clear next step! :)

EatLiveRun — February 10, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

love these! So pretty!

Caitlin @ TPL — February 10, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

Please be my valentine. Please.

Kathy — February 10, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Great…now I hope my keyboard doesn’t short out due to my drool.

Natalia - a side of simple — February 10, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

You know what color combination I adore? Pink and brown. And when I say brown, I obviously mean a bacon garnish. Or maybe truffles with a slice of bacon wrapped around, held together with a toothpick (though we know I’ll eat them so fast that the toothpick will only get in the way…).

Beth — February 10, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I love cake balls!!! These look divine and oh so fun! Love that they’re pink:) I’m new to your blog and loving your posts!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:44 am

Thanks so much Beth!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — February 10, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I love how cute and pink your balls are! I love all things pink (my blog used to be hot pink HAHA) and would love to receive a large box of these … maybe I should forward this recipe to B… Wonder if he’d make them for me :D

Will you be my Valentine ?!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:44 am

For sure!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — February 10, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

These look incredible! I am featuring them on a cute V-day post today. Thanks for the awesome recipe to share. :)

Nichole @ Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion — February 10, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

What a great Valentine’s Day recipe!!! Yum!

AllieNic @Frisky Lemon — February 10, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

That batter is my FAVORITE color pink! YUM! Your decorations look so pretty! I sometimes try to be good at decorating…it usually ends up looking like a 1st grader did it…and then dropped it on the floor…you get the picture…

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

Trust me, mine looks like that a lot too!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 10, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

I LOVE cake balls and yours are just almost too pretty too eat! I’m going to have to try them with strawberry cake, that sounds soooo good! :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 10, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

OH Dawson’s Creek! I completely forgot about that show!

These look delicious! These are SO pretty! I’ve made cake balls with strawberry cake and strawberry frosting and dipped them in dark chocolate. It was awesome!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

It sounds so good!

Eunice — February 10, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

This is just…perfect.

ashley — February 10, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

What type of chocolate do you use for the dipping? Last time I tried to make cake balls I tried to melt chocolate chips and dip them in it and oh my goodness, it was a disaster! delicious, but disasterous lol

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I usually use lindt or ghiradelli!

• ashley — February 10th, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

Just a regular chocolate bar, and then melt it in the microwave? Sorry, this question prolly seems so silly

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:40 am

Not silly at all! Yes, just the bars. I usually melt mine in a double boiler (on the stove over a pot of water), but melting in the microwave works too. If you do that, I would melt in 30 second increments and mix with a spatula in between until melted.

Lauren — February 10, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

I always like making my box cakes with a can of soda, I prefer the texture (And I never keep many eggs in the house…), can you make cake balls with soda-cake? I wonder if the cake would be too crumb-y.

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

I’ve never tried but I don’t see why not! If the cake is too crumbly just add more frosting to bring it together!

• Lauren — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

My boyfriend and I regularly like to ‘get down’ on a Dr. Pepper/Strawberry cake with Cream Cheese frosting and red dazzle sugar…. Guess what he’s getting for Valentine’s Day!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:41 am

I think I love you!

Paige (running around normal) — February 10, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

Oh shiz. These look unbelievable and I must make them!!

Theresa — February 10, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

How do you get them so smoothly covered in chocolate? I tried to make chocolate covered lemon cake balls for superbowl and although they tasted fantastic, the coating was a mess!

Tell me all your secrets! hehe

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

I freeze the balls up until the moment I use them. And I make sure to roll them as smoothly as possible. I use high quality chcolate for dipping and dip with forks!

Sara — February 10, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Did you make the pink sugar sparkle glaze? How can I do this?!

• Jessica — February 10th, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

No I bought it, I got it at target last year but I think they still have them. It comes in a squeeze tube!

Anne @ Baking Me — February 10, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

These are gorgeous! Such fun Valentine’s Day treat! By the way, I made your cashew chicken last night and it was so good, thanks for the recipe!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:42 am

So glad you liked it!

annie — February 10, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

i love pink too! those are so cute!

Cookin' Canuck — February 10, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Those are so darn pretty! I love that first shot.

Katherine: Unemployed — February 10, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

the color on that is amazing! what a wonderful recipe for this month

Kacy — February 10, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I can’t believe how pink and pretty they are! Cuuute!

Jennifurla — February 10, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

I prefer pink for my starburst and various other things…LOVE this.

Christina — February 10, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

SO pretty- I lurveee them. Great job!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — February 10, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Those are (and I don’t use this word lightly) adorable. I may (may!) make them for my next work potluck. Because I want people to like me.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Who wouldn’t like you already? ;)

Noelle — February 10, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

These are fantastically creative! I thank God for the job I have but I totally do not get enough time in the kitchen to do something like this. Maybe this weekend.MAYBE.

Mel — February 10, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Sooo I had this whole idea of cookies I was going to prepare for VDay…but I think I may have to throw that out the window in favor of these! They look so cute and delicious!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:36 am

Do it!

Holly — February 10, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

HOLY YUM! You are so creative :) I have no idea how you come up with these things, but I just love ‘em!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 10, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

These look like heaven on a plate. My sister makes an Oreo truffle that is very similar and everyone just salivates over them. Love it!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:34 am

Love those too!

Hannah — February 10, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

These look yumtown but may I just say, Pacey = love. It should be called Pacey’s Creek!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 10, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Oh these are so pretty! I was thinking of making red velvet cake balls for Valentine’s Day, but now I’m leaning toward these!

Lori — February 10, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

I just bought mix to make red velvet cake balls. I wish I had waited one more day to read this post and I so would have bought strawberry. And are there really Dawson’s creek reruns showing??? I’m currently unemployed and the last time I was unemployed (7 years ago) I watched the whole season more than once!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:33 am

No, the reruns aren’t on anymore that I know of. I have DVDs. I live a sad life.

Alicia — February 10, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

The pink cake and icing looks so cute!! Love the pink theme. I just made chocolate covered strabwerries last night! http://www.bakeaholic.ca/holidays/valentines-day/chocolate-dipped-strawberries/
    Hope you have a sweet Valentine’s! I’m off to Mexico =)

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:33 am

Jealous! Have so much fun.

Katrina — February 10, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

My, my, these look fabulous! I adore cake balls!

Tracy — February 10, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

I love pink too!! I wish I had a huge plate of these in front of me right now. :-)

Jennifer — February 10, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

O.M.G.!! I must make these this month. I don’t even care if it’s after Valentine’s Day. I am making these!! Yummy and so pretty!

Kristy — February 11, 2011 @ 12:16 am

Can you explain the exact chocolate coating process. ie
    How you melt, how long it sets, and what to store the cake balls in while they are drying, and whether to put them in fridge again or freezer.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:32 am

I just added some more detail in to the recipe! However – I either melt in a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave. If I melt it in the microwave, I only do it in 30 second increments, mixing with a spatula after each to melt and prevent burning. I remove the cake balls from the freezer just as I’m going to dip them. Using a fork, I dip the ball in the chocolate and gently flip it once or twice until all of the cake is covered. I lift it out with the fork and let any excess chocolate roll off, then gently lay it down on wax or parchment paper. I repeat and then refrigerate. I also find it is sometimes easier to work in batches, that way you aren’t rushed. I hope this helps!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — February 11, 2011 @ 12:48 am

ooOOo! There’s this cupcakery called Patty’s cakes near where I live and they have Cake balls and I believe it’s just like this but with their own signature twist!! I wanted to actually try them yest. but had no money. Hahaha, but these look soooooooo cuuuuuuute I wanna pinch it. :P Genius

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:30 am

You need to try one now!

Amanda @ The Artsy Kitchen — February 11, 2011 @ 12:55 am

These are way cute!! I really want to make the red velvet version for valentine’s day!!

Cannot wait to see what you had for lunch!! You never fail to entertain me with your eats! :)

Lauren — February 11, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Oh WOW!!!! These looks sensational!!!