This normally isn’t my kind of thing.

Fruit for dessert? What is that all about?

I usually go for something much more rich. Something rot-your-teeth rich, to be exact.

But after eating this cake, I’m sold on fruit for dessert.
I topped the cake with fresh whipped cream.

Since it has the word “fresh” in it, I’m pretending it’s healthy. It sounds healthy. I mean, it’s dairy. There has to be protein in it.

This cake is definitely on the “lighter” side of decadence.

It is sweet but not too sweet, and tastes… refreshing. Perfect for the warmer months approaching. It’s unlike many dessert recipes I share, which means I deem it completely appropriate for breakfast.

In fact, for the perfect breakfast I recommend two slices. Or three.

[print_this]

Lemon Lime Cake

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 tablespoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons lemon and/or lime juice (I juiced the lemon and lime into the same bowl and got 3 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and zest and combine until mixed.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the lemon and lime juice and thoroughly mix. Once mixed, add milk and beat until combined.

Pour into an 8×8 or 9×9 square cake pan and bake for 30-35 mins at 350. Let cool completely.
Lime Whipped Cream

1 pint cold whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoons lime zest

3 tablespoons powdered sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cream, vanilla, sugar and lime zest. Best until cream stiffens, about 5-6 minutes. Frost cake and refrigerate. I used a pastry bag and tip to frost.

[/print_this]

Go hurry up and bake one so you have a slice waiting for you tomorrow morning! I’ll be over with coffee.

114 Responses to “Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream.”

Bethany @ More Fruit Please — February 24, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Yum! I’m all for fruit as dessert. I love how pretty the piped whip cream turned out and how the lime zest looks like sprinkles on top!

Briana @ thetripledish — February 24, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

This looks fantastic! I love how you did the whipped cream on top! ( I count whipped cream as a source of dairy, helps build strong bones right ;)!

Christina — February 24, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

Sounds perfect. Definitely makes me ache for Spring!

Heather from Snacktive — February 24, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

It’s so pretty and fancy looking! I’m not a big fruit for dessert person either, but I think this could switch me as well!

brandi — February 24, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

um, yes please! I’d like to have some of that with my coffee tomorrow morning :)

Amanda — February 24, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

GORGEOUS!!! Great job girl… this looks amazingly decadent yet light and refreshing! You rock!

Melissa — February 24, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

This normally isn’t my kind of thing, either. Maybe, *maybe* for breakfast . . . but if you say it’s this good, I might have to give it a whirl. ;)

Tracy — February 24, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

I love fruit for dessert! This looks lovely and fresh!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 24, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

What a GORGEOUS looking cake!! I love lemon desserts :) So this is right up my alley :)

Gen — February 24, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

Yuuuum!!!!!! I’m not even a lime or lemon fan but you have me drooling over this! =D

Heather — February 24, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

Lemon desserts make me weak in the knees. Hubby. Not so much so it’ll all mine when I whip this up. Perhaps a half batch?? Nah….haha

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — February 24, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

The piping on top is awesome! It looks like the perfect spring dessert (which means you should come NOW, Spring).

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 24, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

This cake sounds divine! And, I just love the way you frosted it… The photo of the partially frosted cake is so pretty!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 24, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Light cakes are my kind of thing. I think that’s why I go nuts for a good angel food cake with seven minute icing. It feels so decadent, but I am not hurting with heavy cake after it is done. This looks perfect!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 24, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Totally qualifies as a breakfast!! Maybe even lunch..and dinner…and dessert ;)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — February 24, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

Love this idea- I adore lemon and lime!! P.s. you did some awesome work with the cream :)

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — February 24, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

That sounds delicious! You are so creative with recipes.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — February 24, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

Yum! That looks like a perfect dessert to serve to your friends while enjoying some wine on the deck in the summer! It’s so nice to see a light and fruity recipe – it makes it feel like Spring is actually on the way!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — February 24, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

This is one of those cakes that I bet would be SO over the top delicious after a night in the fridge. Mm.

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

So funny you said that… I’ve been stealing bits out of the pan in the fridge EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 24, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

Your piping is lovely.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 24, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

I love how fancy this looks, beautiful job!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — February 24, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Yum! Fruity desserts are always surprisingly delicious

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — February 24, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Love how your frosted this! It sounds so good!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — February 24, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

It’s gorgeous! And it sounds completely delicious…and we’re all for lighter desserts…to counteract all the not so light ones we make!

Camille — February 24, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

This looks so refreshing and beautiful!

Brooke @ bittersweetb — February 24, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

I actually want to jump out of my desk and make this NOW! I love tart desserts and I love cake so this is perfect!

Alaina — February 24, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

I love citrus flavored cakes!! :-)

Katie — February 24, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Um, yes I want THIS cake. And think that cake is always a logical choice for breakfast. Always.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 24, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

This looks light and airy and absolutely perfect. I think it will be a wonderful spring cake! Can’t wait to make it!

Sharlene — February 24, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I love the little and big piping detail – looks super cute! Citrus desserts make me think of warm weather. I can’t wait for spring to come!

Katie — February 24, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

I am on a total lime kick – I just made tahini lime cookies and they are SO good. I’m all over this…consider yourself bookmarked, my dear.

Fair warning though – mine will NOT look this pretty.

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

Those sound delicious!

Angharad — February 24, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks insanely good. I love that citrus fruit is just everywhere at the moment and it’s so wintry but feels so summery! Perfect.

HeatherChristo — February 24, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

This looks wonderful- I love citrus desserts!!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 24, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

The whipped cream looks so good! I love how you piped it on the cake — so beautiful.

Lemon in desserts is so delicious — and lemon/lime sounds wonderful. I am drooling big time.

Heather — February 24, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

This is so gorgeous it’s killing me! Love it. Want it.

Kacy — February 24, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

That is my kind of thing. I want it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 24, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

I don’t usually get excited about citrus flavored desserts, but this fresh whipped cream might have won me over! Just give me a bowl and spoon please:-)

Clarissa @ SoberandtheCity — February 24, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Yummy!!

Maria — February 24, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Such a pretty cake!

Jason @ Shutter&Saute — February 24, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Love how you styled the whip cream. Looks delicious!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

Thanks!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 24, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

How beautiful is this?!? I love it! I’ve been on a major lemon/lime kick lately, and this is going on my list!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — February 24, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

Oh that whipped cream is so pretty! I’m pretty sure that would be an acceptable substitute for yogurt in the morning, too.

Jennifer — February 24, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

I love fruit in my desserts! But I’ve never tried adding lime (or lemon) zest to whipped cream. What a great idea! And I’m sure a nice touch to a delicious cake.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 24, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

This cake looks amazing, but I’m most excited about that lime whipped cream!! Oh myy goodness gracious – such deliciousness! :)

Erica — February 24, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

This is gorgeous and my man is a lime freak! Please send one full cake to my house :) Or a half a cake…we’re not picky…we’ll even take just 1 piece.

Alexa — February 24, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

I can’t get over how pretty that whipped cream looks! Fantastic, I’ll be waiting with strawberry coffees topped with foam :)

Katie @ The Well-Fed Newlyweds — February 24, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Your frosting job is absolutely gorgeous – and creative! I love the idea of a citrus cake with whipped cream frosting. I can’t wait to try this!

Aejin H — February 24, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

Does it taste like Sprite? I’m trying to imagine lemon and lime together haha.

• Jessica — February 25th, 2011 @ 12:11 am

Hahah! Nope! Doesn’t taste like Sprite. :)

SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen — February 24, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

Looks like my kind of cake!! Yum.

EatLiveRun — February 24, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

I thought your pretty blobs of frosting were little meringue cookies when I first saw it! I love citrus cakes like this so I’ll have to give yours a try soon!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | Foodbeast Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | The Premiere Food News Resource

3. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | Foodbeast Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | The Premiere Food News Resource

4. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream | Beegs.com