I think we all know how much I love coconut.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

You should love it too!

Unless your name is Mr. How Sweet. He despises coconut. He would rather chew nails than eat coconut. Even though he has absentmindedly eaten it in many recipes I’ve made. Right about now he is looking at the computer screen and highly annoyed that he has eaten coconut without knowing it. And claiming that it can not be true.

It is true.
I realize this can be tricky. There are many of you that don’t like coconut and probably even more of you that don’t like fish. And there are probably sixteen pregnant women that are reading this post and attempting not to upchuck.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

But I’m telling you… it’s really delicious! When do I ever steer you wrong? I mentioned earlier this week on Facebook that this fish is so delicious it could make you cry. A few tears may have been shed.

It is not very sweet and is basically tilapia encrusted in coconut and almonds. Best combination ever.
I got a little heavy handed on the coconut. Oops.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

Any chance I had at tricking Mr. How Sweet into eating this flew out the window at that moment.

But that’s okay… more for me.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

It’s super easy too – dip the tilapia then bake!

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

A few squirts of lemon juice is mandatory. This just screams summer. And beach weather.

Which would be nice to have right now, since there are about six inches of snow outside my window. Do I live in Antarctica?

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

If you love coconut and almonds but are on the fence about fish, you must give it a try. It is perfect atop a salad (yuck) or even with pasta or brown rice.
I loved this so much. I just love fish. I just love coconut.

I just love food. Period.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia

serves 4

4 tilapia filets

3/4 cup almonds (or about 1/2 cup almond meal)

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

If the almonds are whole, grind in a food processor until they are coarsely ground. Mix almond meal with coconut thoroughly. Season tilapia filets with salt and pepper liberally. Dip each tilapia filet in the egg whites, then coat with the almond/coconut mixture. Lay on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. If desired, spritz with olive oil to help the crust brown.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fish is flakey.

[/print_this]

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

No bacon today. I figured you could use a break.

127 Responses to “Macaroon Crusted Tilapia.”

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 23, 2011 @ 11:56 am

That sounds delicious. My Mom is a coconut-hater too, so I’d have to make this when she wasn’t around. More for me! ;-)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 23, 2011 @ 11:59 am

I’m with Mr. How Sweet on the coconut:-(

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Nooooooo!

• Natalia - a side of simple — February 23rd, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Me too… :( I just can’t get a taste for it.

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

You guys are breaking my heart! Is it the flavor or the texture?

Blond Duck — February 23, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

I think it sounds great!

VeggieGirl — February 23, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Such an intriguing coating for the fish! Yum.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 23, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Well what do you know! I just so happen to have tilapia in my freezer!

Blog is the New Black — February 23, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOVE this idea! Macaroon crusted? You can have my heart.

Gen — February 23, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I love fish, almonds and coconut! Great recipe!!!!
    I’ll try to send some warm weather your way, too! =D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 23, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I know you’re going to cringe when I say this, but I’m going to use that crust for tofu. There, I said it.

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 23, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Confessional: last name means fish, and I don’t make/eat it enough.
    This recipe is about to change that!

Hannah — February 23, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

Funnily enough, as a kid I loved coconut, then as a teen I hated it, and now (23) I’m starting to like it again.

I’m confused, though. There isn’t enough bacon in this post.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — February 23, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I need your bacon ideas, actually. I have a new panini press that is screaming BACON!! at me.

But, for the time being, this fish looks excellent. I have made almond-crusted tilapia before – now all I need is to add the coconut! Beautiful!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 23, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

I don’t usually like coconut, but I’d make an exception for this recipe….especially since it screams summer..I really want summer!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — February 23, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Mr. How Sweet has eaten no coconut. Mr. How Sweet would know that he has eaten coconut. Why must you spread these vicious rumors about Mr. How Sweet?

Kath — February 23, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

This post left me breathless.

Eliana — February 23, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I can’t imagine this not being delicious with all this coconut nut. And to boot – the golden color rocks too :)

Jeanette — February 23, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Yum, this sounds amazing and light! Coconut and almonds, what a terrific combination.

Erica — February 23, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

We have a friend who doesn’t like coconut and it blows me away! Josh is obsessed! He’d love this. I think you could use this beautiful coating on chicken too….or shrimp! This did not make me want to upchuck at all ;)

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I think it would be great on chicken and shrimp too!

Stephanie — February 23, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

I LOVE coconut!!!! What a yummy recipe idea!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 23, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

This sounds amazing!!! And super simple too, which I love! May have to try this out this weekend :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 23, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

This looks great! I love tilapia and we eat it often at our house. We usually do a little, evoo, lemon juice, salt and pepper, but next time I’ll jazz it up this way. Thanks!

Kristen@PrettySweet — February 23, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

The only time I enjoy coconut is when eating coconut shrimp (and the only time I enjoy shrimp is, well, when eating coconut shrimp) so I think this actually might work for me…because I already love tilapia! The odds are good here. =)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 23, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

I have to admit, I’m with Mr. How Sweet on the coconut issue, but you still manage to make it look really good!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 23, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

What a delicious looking dish! We LOVE tilapia :)
    Can’t wait to try this!

Kim in MD — February 23, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

I never need a break from bacon, but this looks delicious! :-)

Jason @ Shutter&Saute — February 23, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

I have so much tilapia in the freezer, and always looking for ways to cook the bland tasting fish… I don’t love coconut either, but this looks great.

Jessica Lynn — February 23, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

My husband also hates coconut (silly men!), but I think I’ll make this for lunch today. What do you think about using pecans instead of almonds? We have TONS of pecans that I’m trying to use up. Thanks for the recipe :)

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

I think they would be great.

Sarah R — February 23, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Sounds so good-and so simple too!

shannon — February 23, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Amazing. There are no other words.

donna — February 23, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Oh, perfect! I am planning on trying a pretzel chicken recipe tonight w/ honey mustard dipping sauce because i figure the kids will like it but i was not excited to eat it. But this fish dish! THIS sounds exciting so that’s what my husband and i will be eating tonight!

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Pretzel chicken? That sounds really good. Do you have a recipe?

• Donna — February 24th, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Yes, I’ll send it to you today.

Amanda (Eating Up) — February 23, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I love coconut and fish! And I love this recipe!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — February 23, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

This looks amazing. I can’t get enough coconut! This reminds me of coconut shrimp but I hatr shrimp so the talapia sounds perfect.

Melissa — February 23, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

Hmmm . . . I’m feeling I need to put this crust on shrimp. With bacon. And some kind of pineapple dipping sauce. Will you make it for me???

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

I think that can be done.

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — February 23, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

So inventive! I don’t normally care for macaroons but this fish looks incredible.

Tracey — February 23, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I love fish and coconut so no complaints here! My husband though, that’s another story. I’d definitely have to keep quiet about the coconut until after he ate it :)

Ashley — February 23, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I would like to place an order for macaroons please! :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 23, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

what a great concept–and it looks delicious!

Kelly — February 23, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Now THIS is my kind of recipe!!! Yum! :)

Katie — February 23, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

I’m preggo and it actually looks delicious. I’m not sure I could force myself to deal with raw fish at the moment, but if you made it for me – I would devour. I love coconut in whatever form.

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Yay!

DessertForTwo — February 23, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Seriously, if I had a dollar for everything I fed my honey that he said he didn’t like, I’d be a rich girl! Why don’t they just trust us? We know food! We’re girls! :)

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

Seriously!

Caitlin — February 23, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Almond crusted tilapia is one of my favorite foods! I feel really sad for people who don’t enjoy fish – it is such a powerhouse food! I am more on the fence with the coconut part of this recipe but since I like coconut shrimp, I have an inkling I’d like this. Mr. How Sweet needs to get over it. And I say that lovingly.

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

I know!!

rebecca lustig — February 23, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

what an interesting way to add flavor to an otherwise bland piece of fish! (i’m not the biggest tilapia fan). I love anything macroon!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing — February 23, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

I love it! A recipe that feels kind of tropical – just what we need to beat the February why-won’t-it-stop-snowing-yet blues :).

Feast on the Cheap — February 23, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Just had an easy and delicious nut-crusted fish last night! We’re on the same wavelength… This looks fabulous

Kristen — February 23, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

My family LOVES coconut, I will have to try this- and Im surprised no bacon haha jk
    thanks for the recipe!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon — February 23, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Um..YUM! I never thought of breading fish with coconut!! I’m definitely going to try this! Thanks so much for sharing!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 23, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Yum! I love coconut and am trying very hard to get more into eating fish. My husband loves it, so I’m the one who needs convincing! Where do you find unsweetened coconut? In the baking section of my supermarket, I only find the sweetened kind…please help me!

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

I find it in the organic/healthy food section of my grocery store. I use this kind: http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Shredded-Unsweetened/dp/B000F4D5GC

I’m sure using sweetened would be bad – it would probably be delicious! If you can find the finely shredded, I would just add the regular stuff to the food processor with the almonds a bit.

Kim — February 23, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

We have had a bag of frozen tilapia filets in the bottom of our deep freeze forever; we don’t mind eating fish, but are completely at a loss when it comes to preparation.

But this–. We are totally making this tonight. Thanks for such a simple, delicious-looking recipe!!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — February 23, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I’ve been OBSESSED over coconut this week!! I’ve been guzzling coconut water and eating my coconut butter cookies…tooooooo diiie!! I must try this one!

Meaghan — February 23, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I seriously neeeed to get my hands on a food processor! This looks so good! I love tilapia, and am always trying to find new ways to cook it to keep it interesting.

EatLiveRun — February 23, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

I love coconut but Adam hates it, too!! What’s with these guys?!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Macaroon Crusted Tilapia | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Eat on the Run » Blog Archive » Sometimes

3. Pingback: Recipe: Almond Coconut-Crusted Sole Filets

4. Pingback: Almondy Coconutty Tilapia | Frisky Lemon

5. Pingback: Island Inspired | Hungry Healthy Happy

6. Pingback: Macaroon Crusted Tilapia | Food. Fun. Philly.

7. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease