I think we all know how much I love coconut.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

You should love it too!

Unless your name is Mr. How Sweet. He despises coconut. He would rather chew nails than eat coconut. Even though he has absentmindedly eaten it in many recipes I’ve made. Right about now he is looking at the computer screen and highly annoyed that he has eaten coconut without knowing it. And claiming that it can not be true.

It is true.
I realize this can be tricky. There are many of you that don’t like coconut and probably even more of you that don’t like fish. And there are probably sixteen pregnant women that are reading this post and attempting not to upchuck.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

But I’m telling you… it’s really delicious! When do I ever steer you wrong? I mentioned earlier this week on Facebook that this fish is so delicious it could make you cry. A few tears may have been shed.

It is not very sweet and is basically tilapia encrusted in coconut and almonds. Best combination ever.
I got a little heavy handed on the coconut. Oops.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

Any chance I had at tricking Mr. How Sweet into eating this flew out the window at that moment.

But that’s okay… more for me.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

It’s super easy too – dip the tilapia then bake!

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

A few squirts of lemon juice is mandatory. This just screams summer. And beach weather.

Which would be nice to have right now, since there are about six inches of snow outside my window. Do I live in Antarctica?

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

If you love coconut and almonds but are on the fence about fish, you must give it a try. It is perfect atop a salad (yuck) or even with pasta or brown rice.
I loved this so much. I just love fish. I just love coconut.

I just love food. Period.

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia

serves 4

4 tilapia filets

3/4 cup almonds (or about 1/2 cup almond meal)

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 425.

If the almonds are whole, grind in a food processor until they are coarsely ground. Mix almond meal with coconut thoroughly. Season tilapia filets with salt and pepper liberally. Dip each tilapia filet in the egg whites, then coat with the almond/coconut mixture. Lay on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. If desired, spritz with olive oil to help the crust brown.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fish is flakey.

[/print_this]

Macaroon Crusted Tilapia I howsweeteats.com

No bacon today. I figured you could use a break.

127 Responses to “Macaroon Crusted Tilapia.”

Moni'sMeals — February 23, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

this looks go tasty and interesting. my two favorite combos!

megan @ blackberries for jam — February 23, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

You crack me up. I adore your writing!

Briana @ thetripledish — February 23, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

This looks FABULOUS! I made fish similar to this covered in parmesean cheese, yum… but cocunut!? Perfect for my summer cravings! Thanks for sharing!

nancy k — February 23, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

I love tilipia and plan to try your recipe tonight. I have some finely shredded sweetened coconut but I think it will be okay to use.
    I also love visiting your site. You make me laugh, your pictures are great and every recipe I have tried had benn yummy. Keep up the great posts, please!!

• Jessica — February 23rd, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Thank you Nancy! Let me know how the fish turns out. :)

• Reagan — June 26th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I too only have finely shredded sweetened coconut…how did yours turn out with this? I can’t find unsweetened in the grocery stores near me…

Thanks!

Stephanie — February 23, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

According to my 8 year old…I’m cuckoo for coconut. :) This looks so good. This recipe pretty much just made my day!

Amy @ whatjewwannaeat — February 23, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

This looks delish! Looking forward to more bacon tomorrow.

Anne — February 23, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

MMMMMMM tasty and simple fish recipe just in time for Lent!! Thank you!!

Anne @ Baking Me — February 23, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

I love anything coconut! I can’t wait to try this, what a great combination!

emily @ the happy home — February 23, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

as the resident vegetarian, i think i will try this with tofu!

Christina — February 23, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

This really sounds delicious. I’d love to try it!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — February 23, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

I’ve grown to really like coconut, but I have to say I LOVE it in breading! It gives it so much more flavor and really isn’t all that sweet. I bet this would be awesome on shrimp and chicken, too!

Naomi — February 23, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

oh my gosh! I can make this AND EAT IT haha…I literally drool at so many of your recipes and obviously can’t eat them right now, but tilapia, almonds, coconut? OH YEAH!!!!!!!! I need to buy some…i wonder if they have it at trader joes…if they do its on!!

Naomi — February 23, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

and by i need to buy some I meant the coconut…my freezer is stocked with tilapia ;) and always have almonds on hand!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 23, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Coconut shrimp is my favorite! But of course I would love to try your tilapia and in my freezer now I have coconut crusted chicken fingers from Whole Foods!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — February 23, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

You know what?! I really DO think that males in general aren’t coconut lovers! I think it’s a girl thing…? :P

Chicago Cuisine Critique — February 23, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

This fish sounds great! Thanks for sharing. :)

Leslie — February 23, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Sounds so good! I don’t have a package of coconut on hand, but I am assuming the ingredients don’t have gluten and therefore this is a recipe I can make! Thanks so much!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 12:16 am

You are correct! Yay!

Lauren — February 23, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

You know…I have a blender, but not a food processor. Thank you for giving me an excuse to go get one. Justification. It’s all about justification. Can’t wait to try it!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 12:16 am

GO GET ONE!

Kathy — February 23, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I LOVE FISH! The fresher the better!!! Can’t wait to try this recipe. I have one for pecan crusted tilapia that I LOVE. I can only assume that this one is just as delish!!!

Wendy Elliot — February 24, 2011 @ 1:26 am

I made this for dinner tonight and I LOVED IT! My husband and 6 year old ate it too. Thanks so much for sharing this easy, amazing recipe.

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 1:39 am

Great!! So glad it was a hit.

Marisa — February 24, 2011 @ 1:27 am

I just made this tonight! And I made your oatmeal chocolate chip cookie muffins last weekend. Both delicious! Thanks for the great recipes!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 1:38 am

So glad you liked them both!

Eileen — February 24, 2011 @ 1:28 am

Do you think this would work with cashews instead of almonds? I saw Paula Deen making a coconut orange cashew rice that I wanted to make and I think this fish would a perfect pair with the rice!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 1:38 am

Yes! I think it could definitely work. That rice sounds delish.

mel — February 24, 2011 @ 3:12 am

I feel a nom sesh coming on!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 24, 2011 @ 4:31 am

A break from bacon!!!??

You don’t know me well enough ;-) I think we have more in common than you think!! Hehe.

Cara Craves... — February 24, 2011 @ 4:37 am

Looks like a winner to me!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — February 24, 2011 @ 5:01 am

Sounds like heaven to me!

becky — February 24, 2011 @ 5:25 am

coconut is one of my favorite foods!!!!!!!!! i am obsessed with fish as well and love me some almonds. i’ve never attempted to make my own fish with a coconut or almond crust, but this looks so simple I want to give it a try.

Jenna — February 24, 2011 @ 5:46 am

This sounds great.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 24, 2011 @ 11:49 am

You are totally speaking my language! This sounds fabulous!

Blond Duck — February 24, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Next up–macaroon crusted bacon!

kate@ahealthypassion — February 24, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

yum loovee the sweet salty combo and this sounds awesome!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — February 24, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Hi Jess! I’m back to blogging and now I am back to being very hungry after visiting your blog :) I love coconut on shrimp and coconut oil, so why not coconut fish! It is making me happy and reminding me of summer, too. I really need to make my sister read your blog. She is obsessed with bacon.

Stephanie — February 24, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

So good that I already made it, ate it and blogged about it. Great recipe! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 24, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

What a truly genius idea for tilapia – I am all over this one :)

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 24, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

My husband hates coconut too. I love it. And this looks awesome! If it fooled your guy, maybe it will fool mine!

Emily @ Write Twenty Eleven — February 24, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

Yum! I’m trying to eat more fish (and less meat) so I’ve been looking for ways to cook seafood. This looks delish! Will definitely try it. Thanks!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 24, 2011 @ 6:44 pm

I’ve done almond crusted tilapia, and I love coconut breaded shrimp and chicken… Can’t believe I never thought to combine the two. Love it!

Kristy — February 24, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

My husband loves tilapia, I’ve never tried it before! This looks amazing, you’ve changed my mind! lol :)

Amanda — February 24, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

This looks AMAZING! I will most definitely be trying this very soon! :)

Yvette — February 24, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

So i made this last night and it was DEEE licious!!!! – I actually substituted pecans for almonds – and made the warm spinach and white bean salad – why have i NEVER sauteed my mushrooms and onions in bacon fat before – Needless to say dinner was a hit last night

nipponnin — February 26, 2011 @ 6:15 am

I like raw fish but if I have to bake fish, this is way I do it. Looks awesome and I love crunchy out side.

hallie — February 27, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

i made this last night for friends with a fresh mango sauce to go with… so delicious and it could not be easier! thanks for the recipe! :)

Amy — February 28, 2011 @ 12:04 am

I’ve had this recipe printed since you posted it.. FINALLY got a chance to make it! Couldn’t find unsweetened so I used sweetened (and threw it in the food processor with the almonds) and since my boyfriend loves coconut so much I almost doubled the amount in the recipe. I used shrimp instead of tilapia as well and IT WAS DELICIOUS! Fed it to my boyfriend, he gave this look and said, “I don’t know how you do it..” (he thought it was pretty much amazing) so thanks!!

• Jessica — February 28th, 2011 @ 12:12 am

Awesome!

Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips — March 1, 2011 @ 4:40 am

Holy Cow! I think I’m going to have a heart attack just by looking at it! Dannnng!

Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips — March 1, 2011 @ 4:41 am

haha- totally was meaning to post that for the chocolate chip cookie dough cinnamon rolls. The fish looks a-mazing! Must try!

Sara E. — March 11, 2011 @ 10:32 am

I made this tonight and all I have to say is AH-MAZ-ING. My boyfriend kissed me after his first bite. My cat drooled. My house smelled like toasted almonds. Love, love this recipe. I might just make it tomorrow.

SkinnyFatKid — March 14, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

This was a great recipe. I didn’t grind up my coconut or almonds, but tried to crush my sliced almonds the best I could. Came out great, we love coconut! Served with coconut carrot fries and an arugula salad…delish!

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Awesome! So glad you liked it.

Carlyn — May 30, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

I’ve made this three times (that’s a lot compared to other dishes I make). I add a bunch of seasonings on after I bread the fish (as opposed to adding the S&P to the egg) and find they turn out much better that way!
    I’ve blogged about it here- http://notthenormalteenagefare.blogspot.com/2011/05/tilapia-dish-2-macaroon-crusted-tilapia.html

Thanks so much for the fabulous recipe! (:

Andrea @ From the Bookshelf — August 16, 2011 @ 11:51 am

This looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try it!