You may have remembered me mentioning that last week I had the most delicious (and heart attack inducing) casserole ever.

Said casserole calls for three sticks of butter. THREE!

But since there are only two of us in this house, I scaled it down a bit. By half. So… you still need one-and-a-half sticks of butter. Just do it. Don’t complain.

Who doesn’t loved mashed potatoes with cheese?

The original recipe calls for farfalle, but I didn’t have any on hand. I ended up preparing some lasagna noodles and cutting them into thirds and fourths then layering them in the dish.

Then you just spread on the mashed potato and cheese mixture, along with some caramelized onions and bake it.

I am not joking when I tell you that it nearly melts in your mouth. It’s almost like a potato and cheese souffle. And it really tastes like pierogis!

Mr. How Sweet is currently obsessed with pierogis (coming off Diet Mt. Dew, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and Greek yogurt obsessions) and just about died when I told him about this. I made it yesterday afternoon and while we had some family over to enjoy it too, Mr. How Sweet single-handedly demolished it last night.

[print_this]

Pierogi Casserole

serves 4-6

8 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into fours

1 medium onion, chopped

8 ounces of cheese, cubed or shredded (Velveeta will work best, second best is hand-grated cheddar)

1/2 pound pasta (farfalle or lasagna noodles)

1 1/2 sticks of butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Peel potatoes and chop into quarters. Set them in a large pot and cover with water, allowing it to come to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender, about 30 minutes. While potatoes are boiling, cook pasta according to directions, and once drained mix with two tablespoons of butter. Set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter and saute chopped onion until soft.

Drain potatoes and mash with one stick of butter and cheese. Make sure no lumps remain. Fold in onions.

Spread out pasta in a large baking dish and spread mashed potato mixture over top. If desired, top with more cheese and onions. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. This is best when served immediately, but still tastes good after being in the fridge for a day or two.

[/print_this]

And yes, I’m sure bacon would be delicious with this. I still have to digest the butter and cheese and pasta. Baby steps people.

107 Responses to “Pierogi Casserole.”

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — February 27, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

My Polish husband would looove this! I still have aspirations to make my own pierogi ;).

VeggieGirl — February 27, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

YES! Add bacon :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 27, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

wow.

Natalie — February 27, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

I need to make this now! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Alexa @ SimpleEats — February 27, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

NO words. That looks divine. Bacon might even be too much? No…what am I thinking, right?

• Jessica — February 27th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

I sort of thought the same thing! It is perfect how it is.

• Maus — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

When I lived in Poland, the way to eat pierogi was to chop up ONE OR TWO strips of very fatty bacon into wee pieces and fry. Once the bacon was crispy and the fat rendered out, you would add diced onions and fry until the onions were caramelized. Then you tossed the pierogi in the fat/onion/bacon mizture. I can see caramelizing onions in this way to spread over the top – which doesn’t add toooooo much bacon, but adds that authentic pierogi love.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — February 27, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Since onions are a vegetable and the cheese has protein in it, I declare this to be healthy.

• Jessica — February 27th, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Terry — February 27, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Love it! I say enjoy – all those cardiologists out there need work too!

Andrea@Vegvacious — February 27, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

I love pierogies – that looks easy and sooo good!!!

Too bad I’m on a 21 day cleanse :-) I think I will bookmark it and make it on day 22 … LOL!!!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 27, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

My Pittsburgh born, but stuck living in Ohio husband would love this! We’ve tried the frozen Pierogis from Whole Foods just don’t do it for him.
    This will. :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 27, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

This looks intense.

Gen — February 27, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

Yum! This looks absolutely wonderful….aaand it has all of the food groups! Carbs? Pasta. Veggies? Potatoes. Fats? Cheese. =D

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 27, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Oh wow, this looks fantastic!!

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today — February 27, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Ooohhhh my gosh. I *love* pierogies, and am fairly certain I could polish off the whole casserole myself, too. Yuuummmmm.

Caitlin @ TPL — February 27, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

You are singing to every Polish girls heart right now my dear…amazing!

Heather — February 27, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

i’ve never had a pierogi before (!!!) but if it’s anything like this casserole then sign me up…i think we know anything with 3 sticks of butter is right up my ally ;)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — February 27, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

My heart just skipped a beat. LOL.

Christie {Nourishing Eats} — February 27, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

How could you go wrong with all of the best foods on earth??

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — February 27, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Wow. Just the word “casserole” excites me but this is over the top! :)

Tracey — February 27, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

My husband and I have been eating a lot of Pierogi lately. We actually had it for dinner last night! They are so good and comforting :) I bet this casserole is delicious!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 27, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Anything with 3 sticks of butter must be DeLiCiOuS!! :)

Camille — February 27, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

This looks amazingly sinful! Yum!

Lauren — February 27, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Holy lord Jessica! A PA treat! I dare any Southern Belle to try a pierogie and walk away unscathed!

I’ll bet a bit of reduced balsamic vinegar would be amazing drizzled on top as well.

Jaedyn — February 27, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

This sounds SO good!! Way better than regular old mashed potatoes. Only thing missing is the bacon! I’m not afraid of a little butter & a little bacon! :)

Christina — February 27, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Mmmm that sounds perfect! I haven’t had anything like that in a long, long time…

April G. — February 27, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

What is going on in your second photo? That big grey blob in the middle? I can’t figure it out!

This recipe looks amazing. Wouldn’t it be great as a side dish with an Easter ham? (I love your blog, by the way. I just discovered you through your naan recipe on TK, and have been reading through your archives ever since!)

• mitzi — February 27th, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

omg me too…im so curious as to what that grey thing is!

• Christine — February 27th, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

is it the lid handle???

• Jessica — February 28th, 2011 @ 12:24 am

Hahahah! Guys it’s the potato masher!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 27, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I’ve never seen anything like this–it looks so delicious!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — February 27, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

omg….I feel my heart struggling to beat as I read this recipe but I can’t help but wish I could eat at least 2 servings of this and more (if I don’t pass out from a food coma). SOmeone has to keep these doctors in business right?

girliefriend — February 27, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

oh. my. yum.

Low — February 27, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Gahhhhh. You just keep coming up with genius ideas. I am obsessed with potatoes right now. This looks amazing.

Jessica - Dinners, Desserts & More — February 27, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Oh My Gosh!! My husband will flip for this! He too has just discoved the amazing deliciousness of pierogis. I must make this for him!

Briana — February 27, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

This looks so good! Perfect for an early sunday dinner (so there is time for the food coma to wear off!) Thanks for sharing such a delicious looking casserole (i love pierogis!)

Katrina — February 27, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

This looks mighty tasty! Heart attack inducing indeed! I’m so down.

trang — February 27, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

My co-worker makes something similar to this but it is drenched in buttah. I think I might try yours since it looks delicious and isn’t totally swimming in a puddle of buttah. And I would totally add bacon…it could be like sprinkles!

Melissa — February 27, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

The next time I am in Pittsburgh I am stopping over for scraps of whatever you have left in your kitchen. Seriously–you have been spot on for the last few months! I am drooling over your food everyday! :)

Mama Pea — February 27, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

This makes my heart hurt. But in a good way. I don’t think there’s any chance I could do a vegan version justice.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — February 27, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

Wow…. drooling.

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 27, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Being from a Ukrainian and Polish family and growing up with perogies, this is so appealing. A new twist on an old favorite! Thanks for another wonderful recipe, Jess! :-D

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 27, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Mmmmm….this looks like comfort food at its absolute finest!!!

Christine — February 27, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

This looks amazing. I think I’d have to add a little cayenne or something to spice it up for my husband, though. I’m very glad you made it with 1/2 the butter, I’m not sure if I could get myself to use three sticks.

Erica — February 27, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

droooooool. I want this now. This appeals to the preggers in me beyond words haha. Pierogies are fantastic and in casserole form? Amazing. You are such a creative lady

Stephanie — February 27, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

How amazing is this?! After making close to a hundred pierogi during the holidays I definitely like the idea of all the flavors but in casserole form instead – holy easier yet equally delicious obviously :) And bacon would be an amazing addition, or maybe even some kielbasa!

Hannah — February 27, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Phwoar. Just phwoar. Maybe the reason I’m single is that I don’t cook food like this often enough…

Eileen — February 27, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I have never had pierogi’s but have benn wanting to try them. This casserole will be perfect!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 27, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

Oh my word, pierogi casserole!!! You are seriously a genius. I could be your taste tester! :)

Jess — February 27, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

a carb lovers dream!

Mirjana — February 28, 2011 @ 1:06 am

I showed the pictures to my husband and his eyes almost popped out of his head! LOL! That means he wants some.

Radhika — February 28, 2011 @ 1:58 am

Jessica:
    I made pierogis last night. Those suckers are a ton of work to make. I should have made your recipe for pierogi casserole.
    Radhika

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 28, 2011 @ 2:08 am

Pierogis have always been one of my most favourite foods – I think this casserole sounds amazing!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 28, 2011 @ 2:45 am

I had never heard of pierogi’s until I went to my cousin’s house in New Jersey 12 years ago. But thanks to her, I now love them too. Usually we brown them in a skillet and top them with sour cream.
    I have to make this casserole. It sounds so very delicious and it’s making me hungry right now. But its near 10pm and I should go to bed.
    I’ll be dreaming of potatoes and butter now. Thanks :)

Baking 'n' Books — February 28, 2011 @ 2:48 am

There needs to be more people and bloggers with your mind and acceptance for food. I’m tired of seeing salads and reading about “detoxes” – bah.

1. Pingback: Pierogi Casserole (VIDEO) « The Smart Cookie Cook

2. Pingback: Cheesy pierogi lasagna « More Quiche, Please

3. Pingback: Fall Food | Stuck In The North

4. Pingback: Thanksgiving thread... Plans? Recipes? Rants?

5. Pingback: Pierogi Casserole (VIDEO) | The Smart Cookie Cook

6. Pingback: Weekly menu 4.21.2013: Bánh xèo, | hungrykatie + damn good eating, cooking and living

7. Pingback: sweet betweens » Loaded Pierogi Casserole

8. Pingback: Butternut Squash Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Sinfully Good: Pierogi Casserole - The Artful Gourmet | The Artful Gourmet

10. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

11. Pingback: Sinfully Good: Pierogi Casserole - The Artful Gourmet - Food Styling :: Photography :: Recipes :: Stories