I should preface this by saying that I’ve never really been a fan of root beer. Then Wednesday happened.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

I was walking through Target and happened to spy a 6-pack of bottled root beer. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I love drinking out of a bottle, or the fact that I can’t ever leave Target without spending my entire life’s savings, but I giddily grabbed the 6-pack and started walking down the aisle.
Then the handle broke. That sure was fun!

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

It was there, as I was standing in a sea of carbonation up to my ankles that I decided I could not leave without picking up some ice cream. Because at this point, I knew exactly what I was doing with that root beer. The 6-pack that wasn’t shattered into a million pieces, that is.
What is up with me and glass this week?

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

After getting home, I realized the chocolate cravings were in full force and I could either whip up a batch of homemade hot fudge, or eat 16 handfuls of chocolate chips.
Hot fudge sounded so much better. And it’s so simple! Can’t pass on that.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

Plus, it’s a perfect Valentine’s Day treat. It can serve multiple purposes.
I scooped some ice cream, dumped in some warm hot fudge, poured in some root beer, then died and went to heaven.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

Just so happens I’m sort of obsessed with root beer now.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

Oh! I almost forgot to mention. If you want to make this float a little more adult-friendly for Valentine’s Day, you can add a little something extra.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

But you didn’t hear that from me.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

To all my fellow root beer haters: you must try this. If I were you, I wouldn’t even be able to wait until Valentine’s Day. You shouldn’t. I accidentally ate this for lunch. I was only going to take a taste, but then one spoonful turned into two, and two turned into twenty. This isn’t even my kind of dessert. And I don’t like carbonated beverages because they hurt my throat and ears. Don’t worry… the ice cream makes it all better. And the hot fudge?
Well… the hot fudge completes me.

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Root Beer Floats

serves 2

2 cups vanilla ice cream

2 bottles of root beer

Scoop equal amounts of ice cream into two glasses. Top with a bit of hot fudge, then pour in root beer. Drizzle a little more hot fudge over top. Devour. Die. Go to heaven.
Homemade Hot Fudge

1 cup sugar

1 cup cocoa

2 tablespoons flour

pinch of salt

1 cup boiling water or scalding milk

1 tablespoon of butter

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour in a bowl or pot over a double boiler. Bring water or milk to a boil. Gradually add hot liquid to sugar mixture. Stir constantly until mixture thickens.

Once it has reached the desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Serve immediately if you would like a thinner sauce, or let it sit at room temperature for an hour to thicken. Store in the refrigerator.

[/print_this]

Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge I howsweeteats.com

Yeah. Wednesday was the best day ever.

150 Responses to “Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge.”

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — February 11, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

OK I need some of that hot fudge ASAP!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — February 11, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

M woke up early while I’m feeding B and doing blog reading so she is sitting next to me in bed reading her book. She looked up at my screen while reading this post and said – Mommy, I want that. Kid has good taste.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I love her!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 11, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I can’t do soda because it makes my stomach hurt, buuut I do love rootbeer. Such a shame my body hates me.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Trust me… this is WORTH your stomach hurting!

Hannah — February 11, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Oh my! It’s like you’re inside my brain. I’ve been meaning to make a float (which we in Australia call a “spider”) with my beloved caffeine-free coke, but you just hit the concept out the ballpark with hot fudge.

Mmmmm….

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

I could never drink anything called a spider!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 11, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

I won’t lie. I squealed a little when I saw the title of this post! I love root beer. I adore fudge.
    I’m going to tell the third graders to fend for themselves today. I’m staying home and making this.

I kid.
    Kinda. :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 11, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Root beer vodka? Where have I been?!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 11, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Ohmygosh! This is amazing. Another combo I would’ve never thought of: root beer and chocolate! I guess chocolate really does make everything better. ;-)

Marisa @ Loser for Life — February 11, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I haven’t had a root beer float in forever! Gotta get on that!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

I think it’s been 20 years since I had one?! Yikes.

Sommer J — February 11, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I so could use this right now. Looks awesome!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — February 11, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Er…root beer flavored vodka? Yes that would absolutely perk up this float! Yay for chocolate adult beverages!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 11, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Root beer floats are a favorite of mine! They are so refreshing to me, is that weird?

Eliana — February 11, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

I’m smitten! This looks AMAZING.

Katrina — February 11, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I DO have root beer right now! YES!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

This is fate then. You must make it!

Gen — February 11, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Oh wow! That looks amazing!!!!! Especially the hot fudge part. =D We don’t have root beer here, but is it acceptable to just make a batch of fudge and eat it by itself?

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Do you have ginger ale? I think you should use that and make a hot fudge cream soda float!!

• Gen — February 11th, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

We have something similar……might have to try that out! =D

Blog is the New Black — February 11, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Loved the idea of spiked ice cream-y bevs! ;)

Cara — February 11, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

That looks awesome! Root Beer floats bring back so many memories from my childhood…. none of those had HOT FUDGE in them though! I might just find myself creating some new root beer float memories this weekend!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 11, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I don’t ever drink soda, but root beer is the one exception I’ll make because I love it so. Root beer floats are a favorite! I’ll bet it’s amazing with the Three Olives.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 11, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Love the adult root beer vodka! Good stuff!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 11, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Love the idea of adding vodka!! and this looks wonderful.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 11, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Something about the hot fudge turns it into a perfect winter treat in my opinion ;) Or maybe I’m just justifying reasons to eat this now instead of waiting until when I usually buy root beer in the summer!

Heather — February 11, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

i’ve never thought to add hot fudge to a float, but i must try this! root beer completes me :)

eliz@the sweet life — February 11, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I love the idea of adding chocolate to the rootbeer mix! Yum.

Sandi — February 11, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

I love how you said you “accidentally” ate it for lunch! You are a laugh riot!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 11, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Tony and Max LOVE rootbeer floats. Ya know, we had cream soda the other day…I bet that would be good too. Now I want a float!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

I totally agree – I actually think that would be BETTER!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 11, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I am in LOVE with homemade hot fudge! It totally wins against the jarred stuff, every time. My husband LOVES vanilla ice cream, and I love hot fudge — makes sharing a sundae work well :)

Aimee Shugarman — February 11, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

I’m a huge fan of root beer floats, and IBC just makes them that much tastier! Adding hot fudge? I’ve never done that, but it sounds amazing!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — February 11, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Totally worth the shattered root beer bottles?
    Looks like it!! I don’t even like root beer and this looks delicious!! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 11, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

Yummm! These remind me of the floats I used to make with my cousins at my grandpa’s house when we were little… no vodka in those ones though!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 11, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

The addition of root beer-flavored vodka is brilliant.

Kath — February 11, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

You really have one of the best blogs on the internet :) LOVE root beer too!!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

You are too sweet. Thanks!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — February 11, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

I love root beer, I love root beer floats, but never thought to add hot fudge! I’ve made your homemade hot fudge before though, and it is amazing!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Oh my gosh that’s right! I totally forgot you had made it!

Lauren — February 11, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

These photos have successfully left me drooling and totally craving a root beer float at precisely 8:35 in the morning. Well done, well done.

• Lauren — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Hm… the time stamp maintains I left this comment at 1:38 pm. I’m sure I will still be craving a root beer float at that point!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — February 11, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

Root beer vodka? I’ve never seen such a thing!

Sorry I had to laugh about the root beer breaking in the store — it has happened to me before and there is nothing you can do but laugh! Oh and then cry on the inside.

I love root beer floats — even more I love Coke floats!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Seriously… it was horrifying. And funny.

VeggieGirl — February 11, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

I would pay big bucks to hang out with you and to cook/bake with you. Just sayin’ :D

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

I would LOVE that.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 11, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I completely forgot how much I loved root beer until right now. Thanks for reminding me!

Holly — February 11, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

So I don’t even like root beer either, but these look AWESOME! I might just have to find a new liking for root beer this weekend! & the root beer vodka might just help ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 11, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I LOVE root beer so I think I might have a hard time getting to the ice cream and fudge part :) But I’ve had root beer floats when I was younger and man… so yummy!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 11, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Oh my gosh, I don’t even like root beer, and this looks SO good right now!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I know! That’s how I felt too.

Maria — February 11, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

LOVE your photos! What a fun drink!

Allison @ Novice Life — February 11, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

OMG this post just killed me! I am 9 months prego and I have been CRAVING A ROOTBEER FLOAT!!!!!!!!!!! And too top it off, you have to tell me that there is Rootbeer Flavored VODKA! THAT I CANNOT HAVE!!!!!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I think you need to have one TONIGHT. (minus the vodka)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 11, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.
    These floats looks very irresistible!
    I think I would be licking up and down the outside of that glass to make sure I didn’t miss anything :)

Misti — February 11, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Hmmm… I wonder what this would taste like with orange soda? Chocolate and orange are a good combo, especially where ice cream is involved. ;)

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Probably fantastic!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 11, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Oh well now you’ve gone and given me a chocolate craving. I love that shot of the foam overflowing, fantastic!

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Thank you!

Marie — February 11, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Fizzy, frothy ice cream is the best. Whoever thought of combining pop + ice cream was such a genius; it blows my mind.

Looks like a good lunch to me! ;)

brandi — February 11, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Seriously – I am on the same cooking schedule as so many people this week! Toffee with Mama Pea. Root beer floats with you.

We made them this past weekend with vanilla vodka and locally made root beer. Insane.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

So good!

Erica — February 11, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

This is such a fun dessert! I am going to Target today and am already nervous…I always spend a bajillion dollars in there too. And I have been on a STRANGE (for me) chocolate kick lately! I’m usually a sugar sugar kind of girl (vs. chocolate)…this baby is doing strange things to my taste buds ;)

I’ve missed your posts!

Jennifer (Savor) — February 11, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

That is MY kind of float!

Ann — February 11, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

Looks amazing! And thank you for the recipe for hot fudge. I usually just melt chocolate chips with a little milk in the microwave, which hardens as soon as the ice cream hits it. It’s definitely not fancy like yours!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — February 11, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Never thought to put hot fudge in a root beer float!! Oh my lawd that looks SO GOOD!!

Jihane — February 11, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

ROOT BEER FLOATS USING IBC BRAND SODA ARE MY FAVORITE!

My dad would always make these for me on hot summer days when I visited him in Boston. It was one of the few American treats that he would allow my brothers and I to have, and we loved it. Good times—thanks for this, brought back good memories.

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Aw! So glad this brought back good memories. :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Root Beer Floats with Homemade Hot Fudge | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Root Beer Float Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Why Don’t You: Float Rootbeer Treasure » Then Heather Said

5. Pingback: 12 Summer Recipes | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Sweet Eats: Root Beer Floats with Hot Fudge | The Sweetest Occasion

7. Pingback: Friday Favorites | Elizabeth Ashleigh

8. Pingback: Fugdy Brownie Stuffed Banana Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow Frosting - Half Baked Harvest

9. Pingback: Food – Perfect Ice Cream Floats for a Perfect Summer Treat | Everything Cool