I love stuffed crust pizza.

Fact.

Is that gross? I feel like I’m the only one on the planet who loves stuffed crust. I love it. I love it in all of it’s greasy, fattening glory. I’ve been wanting to make my own for months now. And when the time actually came, I decided to go outside the box.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I had a ton of fresh basil left over from the stuffed peppers I made, and there was no way I was going to let that million-dollar herb go to waste in the dead of winter. And it just so happened that I had enough goat cheese to stuff an entire pizza crust.

And Mr. How Sweet hates goat cheese.

I might have done this on purpose.

Maybe.

More for me.

Shhhh.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I always thought that making a stuffed crust pizza would be tedious and complicated, but the truth is that it is quite simple. As I was rolling out my pizza dough, I rolled it just a bit larger than my planned pizza pan – about two inches or so. You don’t need to do that – just roll it a bit larger than what you’d like so you have some room to fold the edges over. Then around the edge of the crust, I added the goat cheese mixture. This is where it gets fun… you can add as much as you want! Different cheeses, different flavors, different mix-ins. The possibilities are endless.

Then just fold over the crust, add your toppings and bake it!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I topped my pizza with lots of freshly chopped tomatoes, because those are always easier to eat when smothered in fresh mozzarella and garlic.

You can add whatever you would like to your pizza!

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

But while we’re on the topic of toppings, can I suggest bacon? Best pizza ever.

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza

8 ounces goat cheese

1/3 cup freshly chopped basil

dough:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and basil until mixed. Set aside or allow to sit in the fridge.

Combine flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and oil, mixing with a spoon to form into a ball. Just before it comes together, add in salt and mix. If needed, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing with your hands and knead for about 60 seconds. Lightly oil the bowl and add dough back in. Cover and let rise for 2-3 hours.

After 2-3 hours, remove from bowl and punch down. Roll back into ball and let sit for 30 minutes.

Lay on a lightly floured surface and roll very thin. Along the outer edge (about 1 1/2 inches from the outside) place goat cheese around the entire outside. Fold dough over top and press down to seal the top to the bottom. Top with desired toppings and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

[/print_this]

Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Now the wheels are turning about a bacon stuffed crust. That may be over the top… even for me.

148 Responses to “Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza.”

Fallon — March 15, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

I used to love stuff crust pizza growing up! The gooey-ness from the crust, was amazing. I always ate that part first. ;)

Lora @cakeduchess — March 15, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Why haven’t I ever stuffed the crust for the my sweet kids!?This looks fantastic:)I think bacon is a great idea!!:)

Ashley — March 15, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

That dough looks as smooth as a babies butt!!!!! The finished pizza looks INSANE.

elle marie — March 15, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

It’s not gross at all, I like thick crusted, rustic pizza’s and I think you creatively shown us here how delicious they are.

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — March 16, 2011 @ 12:14 am

That pizza looks soooo good!

kamran siddiqi (the sophisticated gourmet) — March 16, 2011 @ 12:21 am

What a lovely pizza! And that basic and goat cheese stuffing in the crust? Simply genius! I’ll have an entire pie, please!

Patricia — March 16, 2011 @ 9:38 am

If you’re running short on time and still want to make pizza of any kind asap substitute fast rising yeast and skip the ‘let it rise’ stage altogether. Faster than delivery!

Lucy — March 16, 2011 @ 10:54 am

You are not alone in the love for stuffed crust. I have pretty much whined every time we choose to not have stuffed crust. It’s an indulgence that can’t happen every time… but special occasions/ depressing days… here we come!

This looks amazing, I gave up pizza for lent… um yeah I love pizza. So i Cannot wait to make this the day after easter!!

Jennifer — March 16, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

LOVE stuffed crust pizza!!!! Pizza Hut was my HERO when they started selling it in the 90s! :)

Lisa — March 16, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

I recently found a recipe for bacon “jelly”. I think this would be delicious stuffed inside that crust . . . and slathered on the pie, too!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Yum!

Maranda — March 16, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Oh man! Bacon stuffed crust???? Yes, yes, YES!!!! Do it…please!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — March 16, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

I want that.

Felicia — March 16, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

this is genius! i love it!! you had me at stuffed :)

Aggie — March 17, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Whoa!!! Amazing!

Amanda — March 25, 2011 @ 11:02 am

I would love the recipe for your dough, it looks so smooth and delish!

Also, do you just chop the garlic real fine and put it directly on the dough before the cheese, orrr? Thanks!

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

The recipe for the dough is above! And I mince the garlic then put it on before, yes!

Claire — April 14, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

OMG YES THIS LOOKS AMAZING. I love goat cheese stuffed anything.

Erin — April 19, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Quite possibly my new favorite type of stuffed crust pizza. Or any type of crust for that matter. Kind of remind me of the gnocchi dish I made in the past with goat cheese, heavy cream and spinach.

kim — July 26, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

my friend introduced me to your blog yesterday and after going through your amazing recipes I decided to try two of them. One was this stuffed crust pizza and the other was your crusted goat cheese spinach salad. This was my first time making pizza so I bought premade dough but stuffed it with the goat cheese filling in the crust and it was so good! The crusted goat cheese was excellent too and it went so well with the salad. Thanks so much and I look forward to reading more of your recipes!

• Jessica — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

So glad you liked it Kim!

Sarah — April 24, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

You are by far my favorite blogger right now! I have used so many of your recipes and I love them all! This pizza was delicious! I posted it on my blog back in February!