Last week I bought blueberries. They were pretty.

This week I found them dying in my fridge. Nothing new there. No harm was really done – just a few wrinkles.

I wanted to make some sort of granola bar, but with fresh blueberries. I envisioned the berries “popping” like they so often do in pancakes and muffins. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?

I thought so too.

So into the bowl went whole wheat flour and oats and cinnamon and brown sugar. All healthy. Especially the brown sugar… remember, since it’s brown? I was left with a delicious, cinnamon scented crumbly bar. A very healthy one too, if you just pretend to skim over that photo above pouring a bowl full of butter into the mix. Details.

As you can see, the blueberries popped just like I hoped they would. I was sold on my first bite – it actually tasted like blueberry crumble and blueberry cobbler and blueberry muffins and everything sinfully blueberry flavored. They were so good! I almost ate the entire first row before I photographed them.

While they are delicious warm, they don’t want to stay together at that temperature. If you’d like to eat them as bars, I’d recommend waiting for them to cool completely before cutting. It is totally worth it. The bars get a bit crunchy and taste just like… dare I say it? Blueberry cinnamon streusel. Or heaven. Whichever you prefer to call it.

But if you can’t wait for them to cool, I would highly suggest crumbling the mix right into some yogurt. Or let’s be honest – some ice cream. Because I would definitely choose ice cream over yogurt. Warm, crumbly blueberry bars over cold, creamy vanilla bean ice cream? I need nothing else in life.

Blueberry Crumble Bars

makes about 12 bars

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons

1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter and add it, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the blueberries – it’s okay if they pop a little bit.

Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Melt remaining butter and drizzle it over the bars. Bake for 20 minutes, the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

We only have a few left, and someone needs to pry these from my grubby little paws. They are that good.

160 Responses to “Blueberry Oat Crumble Bars.”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 30, 2011 @ 7:01 am

I love that you can eat these for breakfast OR dessert! I pick both:-)

Elizabeth — March 30, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Looks so yummy, I”m going to make them right now! HOw many blueberries did you use?

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Ooops! LOL, adding it in now. :)

• Elizabeth — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Mine is already in the oven as I type this! :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Yes! Let me know the results. :)

• Micheline — April 2nd, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Do you know if this could work with dried blueberries ? if so, what quantity ?

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 30, 2011 @ 7:04 am

This look delicious!! I can’t wait till berries are in peak season :)

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — March 30, 2011 @ 7:05 am

Oooh these look delicious…and totally healthy with all that fruit and brown sugar of course…

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 30, 2011 @ 7:06 am

That’s my kind of healthy bar! And they do say to eat the rainbow….so the yellow butter is healthy too, right? I thought you would agree. :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

Why yes! I never looked at it that way. ;)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 30, 2011 @ 7:09 am

I had a baking flop yesterday, maybe I should get back in the kitchen and make these!
    These would be heavenly with some yogurt for breakfast!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

*whispers* … use ice cream. ;)

Katrina — March 30, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I love blueberries! This idea is awesome. I want to try them fresh out of the oven :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 30, 2011 @ 7:11 am

This recipe comes to me just in time to do something delicious with the blueberries in my fridge.

Thanks!

Erica — March 30, 2011 @ 7:20 am

YUM! They look fantastic. I wonder if this would work with blackberries (Josh isn’t a blueberry fan for some reason. You know how much I love trying new bars- book marking!

Jessica Lynn — March 30, 2011 @ 7:23 am

I know what I’m making today :) We also have some wrinkly-looking blueberries sitting in our fridge. Quick question! Do you use quick-cooking oats or rolled oats? I have both on hand and never know which to use if it doesn’t specify!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Rolled!

Mary Beth — March 30, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Now THIS is how I like to eat oats! I am not a “warm” bowl of oatmeal person so this is definitely going in the “to do” file. YUMMMY. And I bet apples would be good in it too. But bloobs always are a winner. ;)

Maris (In Good Taste) — March 30, 2011 @ 7:32 am

These look so good. I love blueberry season-the health benefits and all the recipes they are so delicious in

Gen — March 30, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I now have blueberry envy! Can you believe that, out of all the amazing fruit we get here (the BEST bananas ever, papaya, cashew fruit, amazing mangoes, plums, apples, etc), we don’t have blueberries at all? So sad. :(

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 30, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I love fruit in bars like this — crumbles are my favorite.

I love when you make health food like this :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 30, 2011 @ 7:36 am

They look awesome…I have 2 versions of bloob + oats recipes. One is oven baked muffins. The other is in the microwave, bloob banana oak cake. I will be trying your version next.

The fact that you didnt use any eggs is the holding together issue. My muffins are a bit like that b/c they are vegan/GF but my micro BB oat cake holds perfectly!

Blond Duck — March 30, 2011 @ 7:41 am

I’m totally making these.

Hannah — March 30, 2011 @ 7:45 am

I read the first part as “no ham was done” and I thought “What? Y0u thought the ham attacked the blueberries?” I think I need to go to bed.

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:45 am

LOL! It might be time…

Shannon — March 30, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Do you think frozen would work as well? I have an industrial-size bag of blueberries to go through (I wasn’t explicitly clear on how many frozen blueberries I needed so hubby opted for the, like, 5 lb bag) oh….and I have some frozen cranberries….I wonder if that would work, too?!?!

Thanks, your recipes are always so wonderful (I am no longer allowed to attend work events with my husband unless I bring your buffalo chicken dip…his boss is addicted!)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:58 am

Thanks so much! I think frozen will work, I would just be concerned with the water content? Maybe let them thaw a bit then pat dry with a paper towel. Let me know how they come out!

• Amy @ A Little Nosh — March 30th, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

And then let ME know because I was going to ask the same question. :-)

• Elizabeth — March 30th, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I used frozen and they turned out great, though they didn’t pop…I just popped them myself afterwards ;). Thawing them a bit would definitely be better. They taste sooOOOOOO good!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

So glad you like them!

Christina — March 30, 2011 @ 7:50 am

YES- must make this weekend. You’ve made them sound amazing with all your comparisons… :D

Julie @ Shining From Within — March 30, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Mmmmm. Blueberries cancel out the calories from butter ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 30, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I love blueberry! Making bars that taste just like struesel is perfect since that’s the best part of a muffin!

Kim in MD — March 30, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Best use of wrinkled blueberries I have ever seen! They look amazing, Jessica!

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 30, 2011 @ 8:02 am

Oh! Good idea! Before I read this, I had just gotten back from a trip to the fridge, where I noticed that I have some beautiful blueberries starting to turn wrinkly in my fridge, too.

Blog is the New Black — March 30, 2011 @ 8:08 am

LOVE blueberries- sounds amazing. Must make NOW.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 30, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Yummmm I wish I was eating these for breakfast right now! Blueberries aren’t really one of my favourite berries – I’m more of a raspberry kind of girl – but I LOVE them in baking!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I bet these would also be great with raspberries! And they would be a really pretty color too.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 30, 2011 @ 8:14 am

These look great, perfect for breakfast! And a good way to get in a healthy dose of oatmeal. :)

Heather — March 30, 2011 @ 8:16 am

you had me sold at sinful blueberry!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 30, 2011 @ 8:16 am

Ah! I was just looking for blueberry recipes!! They’re tasting pretty good right now!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 30, 2011 @ 8:22 am

Oohh, I hate waiting for things to cool before I cut them. I swear I ruin so many recipes because I am incapable of waiting. lol

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Me too!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 30, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Mmmm I love anything that tastes like streusel!

Ashley — March 30, 2011 @ 8:27 am

The look delicious!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 30, 2011 @ 9:16 am

I would give up my left arm for that bar. That’s saying a lot too because I’m left handed.

Melissa — March 30, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Warm blueberries and vanilla ice cream were made for each other. Except I need to make an individual portion of this because I would legit eat the whole pan!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I have no idea what that’s like…

brandi — March 30, 2011 @ 9:20 am

sometimes, I like having wrinkly blueberries leftover :) they make for great muffins and pancakes!

Nicole, RD — March 30, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Butter makes everything baked better :) These look so good!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 30, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Yum! I have to make some treats for a roadtrip on Saturday and this recipe has just been added to my list! I have some blueberries frozen from last summer that need to be used up!

Cara Craves... — March 30, 2011 @ 9:39 am

In love!
    These look uber delish.

Kelly — March 30, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Blueberries are my FAVORITE berry and these look wonderful!!

Maria — March 30, 2011 @ 9:44 am

I love blueberries, especially in dessert form:)

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — March 30, 2011 @ 9:45 am

I have the same blueberry situation going on over here!

I have no idea what made me think I could down that many in one week but I believe this recipe might just save me;)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 30, 2011 @ 10:02 am

These look simply fantastic! I bet you could make it with lots of different berries too (raspberries, strawberries…)

Kaitlyn — March 30, 2011 @ 10:04 am

you are killling me! i am cooking for a new boyfriend for the first time this week and am trying to decide on a desert, but every time i think ive decided on one, you post another new tempting recipe!! he gave up chocolate for lent, so i think these would be perfect?
    any other suggestions for a sure-fire winner on a first-cooking-date?

you. are. amazing! thanks!! :)

Terry — March 30, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Can’t wait to try this recipe! A trick I’ve learned for when blueberries or grapes first start to wrinkle is to pop them in the freezer. They’re great as a quick snack, and the blueberries are wonderful in smoothies – or martinis!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Thanks for the tip!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — March 30, 2011 @ 10:19 am

My husband loves blueberries, so this recipe is now bookmarked!

Shanna, Like Banana — March 30, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Blueberry and oats are one of my fave combo. Heat it up and top over vanilla bean ice cream..nom nom nom

EatLiveRun — March 30, 2011 @ 10:47 am

yum! I love blueberries but always just put them on my cereal. Your way is much more delicious.

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo — March 30, 2011 @ 10:48 am

This looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it – probably will have to be this weekend!

Jess — March 30, 2011 @ 10:49 am

the perfect breakfast indeed.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 30, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Sweet sweet sweet. I love these- the texture, the flavor, perfect.

Moni'sMeals — March 30, 2011 @ 11:24 am

these look better than any bar treat at any bakery! yes please.

1 2 3