Last week I bought blueberries. They were pretty.

This week I found them dying in my fridge. Nothing new there. No harm was really done – just a few wrinkles.

I wanted to make some sort of granola bar, but with fresh blueberries. I envisioned the berries “popping” like they so often do in pancakes and muffins. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?

I thought so too.

So into the bowl went whole wheat flour and oats and cinnamon and brown sugar. All healthy. Especially the brown sugar… remember, since it’s brown? I was left with a delicious, cinnamon scented crumbly bar. A very healthy one too, if you just pretend to skim over that photo above pouring a bowl full of butter into the mix. Details.

As you can see, the blueberries popped just like I hoped they would. I was sold on my first bite – it actually tasted like blueberry crumble and blueberry cobbler and blueberry muffins and everything sinfully blueberry flavored. They were so good! I almost ate the entire first row before I photographed them.

While they are delicious warm, they don’t want to stay together at that temperature. If you’d like to eat them as bars, I’d recommend waiting for them to cool completely before cutting. It is totally worth it. The bars get a bit crunchy and taste just like… dare I say it? Blueberry cinnamon streusel. Or heaven. Whichever you prefer to call it.

But if you can’t wait for them to cool, I would highly suggest crumbling the mix right into some yogurt. Or let’s be honest – some ice cream. Because I would definitely choose ice cream over yogurt. Warm, crumbly blueberry bars over cold, creamy vanilla bean ice cream? I need nothing else in life.

Blueberry Crumble Bars

makes about 12 bars

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons

1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter and add it, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the blueberries – it’s okay if they pop a little bit.

Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Melt remaining butter and drizzle it over the bars. Bake for 20 minutes, the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

We only have a few left, and someone needs to pry these from my grubby little paws. They are that good.

160 Responses to “Blueberry Oat Crumble Bars.”

BigFatBaker — April 1, 2011 @ 12:48 am

YUM! Sounds delicious. I love when the berries “pop” too. It adds a little extra purple, which is by far my favorite color. I’m hoping I can try your recipe, I love crumbles/cobblers so I can only imagine I would eat all of this…

claire — April 1, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Hmmm…I can just see a creamy, sour cream/cream cheese gooey cheesecake-type layer with these -no? Nom?
    …Also liking the idea of banana…
    Girl, do you make me lol ;)

• Jessica — April 1st, 2011 @ 10:04 am

You are smart. That sounds incredible.

Rochelle — April 1, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

I simply adore blueberry, but the rest of the family aren’t too wild about them. This seems like an adaptable recipe that would work with other fruits/berries just as well to achieve a great crumbly and yummy bar :D

Kathi — April 4, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I made these last night and popped them in the fridge overnight so I could cut them up this morning….OMG SO yummy!

thanks for the recipe – I will be making these again (probably all summer) once all the various berries are in season.

• Jessica — April 4th, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

So glad you liked them Kathi!

Natalie Boenker — April 7, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

SO SO SO yummy! These have been cooling and I cut a tiny square just to make sure they were edible since I’m delivering them off to a friend who just had a baby, OMG yum and I actually didn’t read all the reviews before I started and did use WW flour (non pastry) and it really was ok!

Jenn — April 20, 2011 @ 10:39 am

These are also great for the gluten/dairy free people! I substituted the butter for non-dairy margarine and instead of whole wheat flour I used gluten-free baking flour. They taste great!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Great to know!

CherylK — May 1, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

These look just delicious…I have lots of blueberries in my freezer so I’ll be trying them, for sure!

Kate — May 16, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

i made these immediately after seeing this. oh my goodness, i’m in heaven

Veronica — May 26, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

hi Jessica! I’m addicted to your site — literally I spend so much time just bookmarking all your recipes and have made lots so far!! Anyways I want to make these today (actually right now…haha) but I was wondering if there’s any other substitute for the stick of butter?? I kinda wanted to pretend i was making something uber healthy and these are already filled with such yummy good things like bluebes and oatmeal! I know the butter is a binder but could you also use peanut butter maybe? Thanks so much!

• Jessica — May 26th, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Hmmm.. you could try but peanut butter will definitely change the flavor and the consistency! I really can’t think of something else you could use, sorry!

Dominique — June 21, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

I just couldn’t wait for the cooled-down finished product; I went ahead and snuck a square while a little bit warm and man, these are delicious! I couldn’t totally eat an entire row right but I’ve stuck my pan in the freezer in hopes of faster cooling down.

Jill — July 3, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

Delicious! I made this tonight and it’s just fantastic.

Michelle — July 26, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Made these this afternoon when I made the peach bars….both are fantastic. Can’t decide which one I like more! Thanks for the recipe!

Andrea — September 4, 2011 @ 12:50 am

Would subbing chocolate for the blueberries be good?? I live with someone who too has immature taste buds and thinks things only with chocolate are good (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing).

Courtney — September 5, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Such a yummy recipe! I am obsessed. This is such a great topping on plain non-fat greek yogurt – Its addicting! This time I sprinkled ground flax-seed on top for an extra nutritional boost (I couldn’t even taste it). This is the second, time I have made them I added an egg the second time and it helps the bars to stick together more and not crumble apart completely.

Courtney — January 19, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I have made this a few times now. The first time I had trouble keeping it in bar form, it was just too crumbly, so the next time I added an egg and it worked well. I also used steel cut oats once because that is all I had, it was a bit thicker, was better for breakfast than dessert in my opinion with that.

Maggie — May 28, 2012 @ 11:11 am

Hi just wondering if I could use regular whole wheat flour instead of pastry flour?
    Thanks!!

• Jessica — May 28th, 2012 @ 11:31 am

I definitely wouldn’t use regular whole wheat… it will be very dry and gritty. Use all purpose if you can!