Ask and you shall receive!

You’ve probably heard me ranting and raving about how I’m obsessed with mushrooms now.

People! This is huge. This is a vegetable. A vegetable that I like. A vegetable that I not only like, but that I really, really love. If this can happen with mushrooms, maybe it can happen with something ugly and green like broccoli?

I won’t hold my breath.

This is the dinner that I made on Sunday night after asking for your suggestions. It was so delicious that I made it again Monday for lunch and dinner. With most recipes I burn out quickly – loving them so much, making them too often, and getting sick of them within a week.

But this is different. I’m still craving this meal. I’m craving the mushrooms on the bread. The warm, toasty, buttery and mouth-watering bread. Mushrooms. Wine. Butter.

Swoon.

Talk about comfort food.

I can’t even think about anything else. Mushrooms and butter and wine and bread on the brain, 24/7. Can you tell?

All I gotta say is that you must try this soon. And if you don’t eat chicken, make the mushrooms, grill the bread, devour the meal. You should probably add extra butter and wine too.

[print_this]

Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Grilled Herb Bread

serves 2

4 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/3 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 onion, chopped

2 cups sliced mushrooms

1/3 cup white wine

bread of your choice (I used whole grain talonica bread)

salt and pepper

for bread: 1/4-1/2 cup butter, softened + herbs of your choice (I used parsley, basil and thyme – a good sprinkling of each)

Season the chicken breasts (make sure they are very thin or slice them thin!) liberally with salt and pepper. Add the flour in a bowl and dredge the chicken in the flour – you want a very thin and light coating on the chicken. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. While the chicken is browning, chop the onion and get out your mushrooms. Slice your bread as desired. Combine 1/4 cup of butter and herbs of your choice (you really can’t go wrong here! I’ve used dried and fresh, just add a sprinkling to the butter.) and mix. Spread on one side of bread. At this point you can either use a grill pan and grill the bread buttered-side down first, or heat your broiler and set the bread underneath for 30-90 seconds.

Once chicken is done cooking (after about 7-8 minutes total), set it aside on a plate. Turn heat down to medium and add 1 tablespoon butter and onion. Saute for 1 minute. Add the remaining butter (2 tablespoons) and mushrooms. Stir and saute for 6-8 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Add in wine to deglaze the pan and stir well to remove brown bits from bottom of the pan. Add chicken back in with the mushrooms.

Serve hot with bread for dipping. I made a lot of bread and refrigerated it – it was still great the next day! You can also do this with thicker chicken breasts, your total recipe time will just take a bit longer.

[/print_this]

I think you have dinner tonight!

177 Responses to “Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Grilled Herb Bread.”

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 2, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Those mushrooms look so buttery and perfect! Yum!!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 2, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

omg those mushrooms! and that bread! and that chicken! the whole thing looks amazing and savory!

Natalia - a side of simple — March 2, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

By the end of this post you “almost” convinced me that I liked mushrooms. I guess I’ll just have to overload on the bread and butter. I’m not complaining, though!

Christina — March 2, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

This sounds like a meal my husband and I would definitely enjoy! I’m glad you’ve hopped on the mushroom train- they are really good! I’m definitely going to try this out. :)

Jess — March 2, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

looks so comforting and easy, my definition of a perfect meal. i may try it with no knead bread this weekend.

Stephanie — March 2, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

I can see why you love this dish, the recipe sounds amazing!!!

Eates-A-Lot — March 2, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

I’ve had a love affair with mushrooms since my mom made heated green beans, mushrooms and hidden valley ranch dry packet seasoning together. Wholly Deliciousness. It might redefine your life. I hated both green beans and mushrooms. now I can’t eat enough.
    However. lately I’ve been on a sautéed mushroom and raw onion kick. Weird. I know.

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I can’t handle raw onions… but that mix sounds delicious!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries — March 2, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

I love everything about this!

Mr & Mrs. P — March 2, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

YUMMMMMMMM!!!

Diana — March 2, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

i usually hate mushrooms, but this looks so delicious. and so does that bread!
    i’m drooling. i want it so badly right now.

oh and i just found a recipe that you’re probably seen variations of before, but it looks so delicious:

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

I saw those yesterday! Crazy, huh?!

maria — March 2, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

This looks like heaven on a plate! I will be making this at some point next week for dinner. I just started following your blog and I really like it so far :-)

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

Thanks!

Hannah @ PalmBeachRunner — March 2, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

So funny- I was actually thinking of buying mushrooms yesterday at the store and I never do! They’re just not something I typically eat on a regular basis but this recipe is making me want to venture out and try them- YUM!

Kristen — March 2, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Defiantly going to try this! looks delicious

Heather @ kissmybroccoli — March 2, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

This looks amazing! I LOVE mushrooms and the best way to eat them is defintely sauteed! Yum!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — March 2, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Yum, mushrooms and wine are amazing together. I bet you could wilt some of that pesky spinach that you always seem to have lurking in your fridge into the mushroom mixture, too. You know…so it doesn’t go to waste. ;)

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

You may be on to something…

Mushrooms Canada — March 2, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

Mushrooms and chicken are both at the top of my favourite foods! I am always looking for new ways to use them together so I cant wait to try this recipe!!! It looks Great!

-Michelle

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — March 2, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Oh how I adore mushrooms! This looks great!

Only one question: You use wine in your recipe… I do not cook with wine, any suggestions for a great substitute??

Thanks!!

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

Can you use cooking sherry? If not, I would try balsamic vinegar or chicken stock!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — March 2, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

umm…wow. I will be making this. I am so hungry right now and I would give anything to have this in front of me!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 2, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

It looks so simple yet elegant! I love those kinds of recipes :D I LUUUUVA ‘shrooms and fungi! (the eating kind) My mom makes ‘shrooms often b/c we’re Korean and it’s almost a staple side dish in our culture. She’ll definitely like this one! ^.~

Crystal @ Eat, Live, Travel — March 2, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

That looks amazing! Thank you for putting up the recipe. I have already printed it out and am definitely going to make it soon! Yum!

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Let me know if you like it!

janetha @ meals and moves — March 2, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

i wish that was my dinner. maybe on a day my husband isn’t around. he is so anti mushroom, it’s annoying.

p.s. sorry about the toblerone. i like your description of it better.. let’s stick with that :)

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

It’s nice to have a sometimes traveling husband because then I can eat lots of things he doesn’t like.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 2, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

This really is a great recipe. The ingredient list is short but the flavors are big. I am a huge mushroom lover… whenever I got to the market I buy a bunch (even when I don’t know what I’ll do with them). I have ever ingredient I need to make this dinner too!! Love when that happens.

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Me too!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 2, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Now this is a feast & butter always makes everything better!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 2, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

Great and delicious looking dinner recipe, Jessica! I will definitely be stealing this one for sometime soon. Your photos are so mouthwatering! Thanks for sharing.

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2011 @ 10:41 pm

Thank you so much!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove — March 2, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

This look right up my alley! I think I’m going to have to get some mushrooms and make this ASAP!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 2, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

This ALMOST makes me wish I liked mushrooms. Almost.

Andrea@Vegvacious — March 3, 2011 @ 12:28 am

Hi Jessica! I’ve awarded you with The Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out: http://vegvacious.blogspot.com.

Naomi — March 3, 2011 @ 12:36 am

SWOON is right…I love mushrooms, cooked raw, roasted…bring em on!! they are so delicious paired with chicken as well. This definately looks like a keeper dish!!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 3, 2011 @ 1:34 am

I’ll just eat the bread. Yup the bread looks absolutely incredible :)
    Have you ever had morels from the woods? We find them at my parents house and fry them up. That’s the only mushroom I will eat.

Alexa @ SimpleEats — March 3, 2011 @ 1:53 am

Wow. Looks so cozy and delicious. I’m pretty sure nothing smells better than mushrooms cooking in butter. Yum.

Jun — March 3, 2011 @ 8:17 am

This makes my tummy rambles in an instant!

Karen — March 3, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Looks delish! Just printed it out and will include it in the rotation for this next week…thanks!

Debi(Table Talk) — March 3, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Hard to beat the flavors and wonderful texture of the crunch bread, just right for dunking! Love this.

Mallory — March 3, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it!

Marie @ Chocolate and Wine — March 3, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

So my sister has this newfound love of mushrooms also (i’ve always loved them) and I can’t wait to make this dinner for her (sans bread unfortunately…stupid dancer diets) when she comes home from college for a weekend!!

emily — March 4, 2011 @ 1:04 am

Um, yes. My boyfriend requested mushrooms and chicken for dinner. Excited.

Courtney — March 4, 2011 @ 2:01 am

I can’t wait to make this for my husband – he’s going to go crazy! :)) Thanks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 4, 2011 @ 4:09 am

Those mushrooms look perfectly cooked! What a satisfying dinner that would be :-)

Julie — March 4, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

Hi– This looks delish!
    Can you clarify the chicken quantity? Four chicken breast (halves I assume) to serve two people? Or is it 4 pieces after they are sliced?

Thanks!

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

It depends on how you buy it. I actually bought 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts, so I used 4. But if it is easier for you to buy 2 and slice them to get 4, then do so! Hope this helps!

Mushrooms Canada — March 4, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

You had me at mushrooms… butter… bread! Looks soooo good!
    - Brittany

Kelly — March 4, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

I made this tonight and it was a total hit..freaking delicious. I used to be a total mushroom/onion hater but now I put both of them (cooked) in every dish possible. Yum!

Amanda — March 5, 2011 @ 8:34 am

You are my new favorite chef! This is an amazing dinner! Made it tonight and can’t say “mmmm” quite loud enough! I CANNOT wait to make the cake batter bark! My husband is usually very patient when I read funny things to him, but your blog caught his attention…baaaaacon! He says he loves you, too! I’ll be using a lot of your recipes, so keep up the awesome work!

• Jessica — March 5th, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Thank you so much! Hahaha… I definitely don’t consider myself a chef. :) Glad you guys enjoyed!

Lini — March 5, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Has anyone tried making this w/o onions? I’ve been having a strong aversion to them since I got pregnant (which is no fun b/c I really love them), but I just have to try this, the mushrooms look so good!!

• Jessica — March 5th, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

Hi Lini –

I’ve made the mushrooms many times without onions. They will still be great!

jessi — March 5, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

i made this recipe for dinner last night and it was freaking incredible! hubs even stated “that’s one of the best things you’ve ever made”. so double kudos to you Jessica! i’ve forwarded the recipe to my mom and i’m posting it on my blog :) i think you’ve introduced a new staple into our home!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — March 7, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Going to try this for dinner tonight! Can’t wait!

Barb Brown — March 8, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Made this for dinner last night. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. My husband isn’t a big mushroom fan (total opposite of me) and he even said it was tasty. His favorite part was the bread ofcourse. Thanks for sharing – loved it!

megan — March 8, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Another meal I have to make! You have the best recipes and I cant wait to try this one. We love mushrooms. And butter. And wine! :)

WenDee Riffe — March 9, 2011 @ 10:44 pm

oh gosh finally got on here!!! must have been my connection!!! i had all jessica food this evening!!!LOL!!! the mushrooms and chicken and the brownies!!!! lord guuurl!!! your gonna’ put 50 lbs on me by dec.

• Jessica — March 9th, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

So glad you liked it!! :)

WenDee Riffe — March 10, 2011 @ 1:49 am

Oh—I forgot to tell ya that I also made the bread!!! It’s a meal in and of itself!!! Have a great week!!!!

Lauren — March 12, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I hate mushrooms. Always have. This just might be the game changer…I’m glad I made it while I’m the only one home so I don’t have to share with anyone! Too delicious! So glad I gave the mushrooms a try.