No more boring chicken meals for you!

These skewers are a spinoff of our favorite healthy chicken fingers, and taste quite similar. By skipping a few steps, the skewers can be completed within 45 minutes (or less) and I think we can all agree that eating something off a skewer is much fun than a boring old piece of dry chicken. Easy, quick, delicious… check!

Although in case you were wondering, Mr. How Sweet would still eat a piece of boring, old dry chicken for the simple fact that it has the word “chicken” in it in. He’d probably even savor it.

I, on the other hand, need a little somethin’ somethin’ with my chicken fingers. Or chicken strips. Or chicken skewers. I love dipping sauces from horseradish to honey mustard to BBQ sauce. The wackier the better. The fancier the better. I mix my sauces while Mr. How Sweet smothers everything in ketchup.

If you’ve never made homemade BBQ sauce, you are missing out. In my opinion, there is nothing like it. Good enough to drink. I’ve been making it long before I ever had a blog. It’s one of my favorite things. So can someone explain the 3 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray’s in my fridge?

These chicken skewers are known to be a peace offering in our house. For the days when I break the bank on basil, and shoes, and other unnecessary foodie purchases that make Mr. How Sweet squirm. Just ask him. Last night I roasted a chicken and he instantly forget that I spent our life’s savings on exotic mushrooms this past weekend. I probably shouldn’t remind him.

Crispy Chicken Skewers

serves 2-4

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

3 egg whites

2 cups panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (any flour should work)

1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning (I use McCormick’s)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 15 minutes before use.

Cut chicken into cubes and tenderize it if desired. In a bowl, combine egg whites and lightly beat with a fork. In another bowl, add panko, flour, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon BBQ seasoning. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray it with non-stick spray.

Season chicken with remaining salt, pepper and BBQ seasoning. Dip each piece in egg whites then in the panko mixture. Skewer, repeat with remaining chicken pieces, and lay on the wire rack. I skewered about 4-5 pieces of chicken on each stick (depending on size) and got 6 skewers. Spray with non-stick spray or spritz with olive oil. I find that spraying them with spray gives them crunch but does not cause the oven to smoke at the high temperature.

Bake for 12 minutes, flip over, and bake for 12 more. Serve with honey BBQ sauce.

Honey BBQ Sauce

slightly adapted from The Neely’s

2 cups ketchup

1 cup water

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

5 tablespoons light brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

1/2 tablespoon molasses

1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 tablespoon ground mustard

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and let come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thicken and reduce a bit.

I’m just glad I have enough chicken to last the rest of the week. Means I can do a little more damage.

116 Responses to “Crispy Chicken Skewers with Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce.”

Danielle — March 29, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

MMM. This looks like a cool project for my little brother to help out with. He’s always trying to help out in the kitchen. And homemade bbq sauce, my dad would totally get a kick out of that! If only I learned how to make homemade ketchup…

Jen — March 29, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

I’ve been meaning to make my own BBQ sauce for quite some time now. I’m taking this post as a sign from the chicken gods to just make it already!

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 29, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

We love making our own BBQ sauce! I’d like to try this one, too, though. Love the Neely’s. =)

Alissa — March 29, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I can NOT wait to try the BBQ sauce! This looks great, thanks!!

Nicole, RD — March 29, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I love that the sauce recipe is adapted from the Neely’s…that’s what’s up. Love them :) Your BBQ sauce is awesome, too…I’ve made it and loved it several times over :)

Danielle — March 29, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

I <3 BBQ Sauce!!!

mary — March 29, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

yum! definitely going to make this!

Moni'sMeals — March 29, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

YUM on that sauce!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 29, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

How cool! never tried making BBQ sauce out of scratch. that looks delicioso~random: who’s your fave chef on foodnetwork? :) have a great day!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — March 29, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Up until my teenage years, I didn’t even know bbq sauce was sold in stores because the only kind I’d ever had was my mom’s! Once I tried store bought varieties, I realized I wasn’t missing out at all, haha! Homemade sauce is so delish it’s basically ruined my chances of ever finding a store bought sauce that I like even half as much!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 29, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Ha, I totally agree about eating things off skewers. It makes everything better!

Feast on the Cheap — March 29, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

I’m dying, I HAVE to make these!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 29, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

these look so great! and something kids would really love too :-)

Jenny @ Bakography — March 29, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I love that these are your peace offering for buying shoes and spending ungodly amounts of money on food. I guess I’ll have to start making them becasue I need a peace offering for shoes and baked goods! haha. I recently spend abuot $65 on stuff to make cake pops for one baby shower. That’s reasonable right? The hubby had mini heart attack when he found out. Hehe :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats — March 29, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

I may never go back to my old homemade chicken tenders again. Yum.

Tracy — March 29, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

I have never made my own BBQ sauce but now I am going to have to do it! Love this chicken recipe!!

Marissa — March 29, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

Yum! I make baked chicken fingers with a very similar recipe and they are such a big hit. You can add whatever spices you like :)

Next I will have to try making your BBQ sauce for my bf- its all he eats!

Maria — March 29, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

OMG I need to make these! I love homemade BBQ sauce, granted I never made it myself. And like Mr. How Sweet I always could go for some chicken haha ;)

Katie — March 29, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

I was just pondering what to do with the chicken that’s thawing on my counter for dinner tonight, and I though “I’ll go see what Jessica has to say about chicken” – and voila…you pulled through for me just like you always do. I’m on my way to make this now. :-)

Naomi — March 29, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

oh YUM that is so being made!!! I love crunchy healthy chicken fingers, and I have never made bbq sauce before!! is that the neely’s as in the show on the food network? they are so cute!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 29, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Fun sauce and chicken skewers. I love great dips too :)

Synz — March 30, 2011 @ 6:17 am

Relly looks super yummy! I should try this. Thanks for the post!

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City — March 30, 2011 @ 10:53 am

When I am figuring out what to have for dinner, I can always rely on you to have a fantastic and fun recipe for me to make!!! I am absolutely making these skewers, my boyfriend always wants me to make chicken and anything BBQ is a winner! Thanks!

Er — March 30, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I LOVE Sweet Baby Ray’s! Globs and globs of it!

PS made your healthy chicken fingers twice in the past week & the fiance and I are hooked. They are delish!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

So glad you guys like them!!

kristen — March 30, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

I’m sure these are amazing. If you want to make them even better, tenderize the chicken by soaking it in buttermilk overnight. It does amazing things to the chicken!

Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous — March 30, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

Awesome- I’ve been needing a recipe to use up some of that big jar of molasses I have!

Maranda — March 31, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Woohoo! I have a freezer full of chicken breasts and we are moving in 3 weeks. This is a bad combo. Now I know what I can do with some of that chicken! And by the way…I fully believe that everything (especially meat) tastes better when eaten off of a stick! ;-)

nors — July 21, 2011 @ 6:09 am

looks great..I need to try this….thanks for sharing..

min — April 4, 2012 @ 9:13 am

HELP! I made this sauce right now actually. It is cooking right now but the flavor isn’t smoky or garlicky. Not sure how to make it taste more like BBQ sauce and less like sour ketchup (or more exactly like sweet and sour sauce with a pepper kick). Do I just need to wait for it to cool?

min — April 4, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I added some smoked paprika powder and I think it just became perfect. Great recipe!