Who would have ever thought I would get excited about seeing something green on sale in the grocery store?

Not me.

But that’s what happened when I walked by these super thin asparagus spears. How often do I find thin asparagus that doesn’t look half dead and is on sale? Rarely.

And I sort of like asparagus. Sort of. And by “sort of,” I mean I can chew a spear or two without wanting to upchuck.

The whole upchucking thing usually doesn’t happen until the third of fourth spear.

But I figured I could possibly prevent that mess if I coated these in something crispy and cheesy. That combination never fails.

These were so incredibly easy to make and tasted delicious – kind of like little asparagus “fries.” I made a big batch yesterday and ate nearly all of them before deciding to let Mr. How Sweet in on the goodness. He tasted one and decided he loved them so much that he would take the remaining ones for lunch today. I’m not quite sure how well they will reheat, but for someone who will eat an eight-day old burger with moldy cheese from the depths of our fridge… I think they will certainly fit the bill.

I also think that these will taste even better with thicker asparagus spears. While I love the thin ones (thin = less vegetable chewing), the thick ones will be extra crunchy and get more crispy and cheesy. I’m all for more crisp and cheese. Who isn’t?

[print_this]

Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 30 spears)

2 egg whites

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)

1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.

Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

[/print_this]

Okay. That’s enough of the green stuff for me.

230 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks.”

VeggieGirl — March 21, 2011 @ 6:55 am

Now THAT’S how to eat a vegetable :D

The Teenage Taste — March 21, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Great recipe, Jess! I bet they would also be really good in a horseradish dipping sauce!

Marisa @ Loser for Life — March 21, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Yum! I just bought super thin asparagus, too! I was going to make soup, but I think you’ve talked me into these instead!!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 21, 2011 @ 7:00 am

I love crispy coated veggies like this! Its kind of like healthy tempura to me :)

Looks delicious :)

Gen — March 21, 2011 @ 7:07 am

What a way to get veggie servings in! Yum! :D

Heather @ kissmybroccoli — March 21, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Oh wow! I haven’t had asparagus in forever! They’re always so expensive, or like you said…on death’s doorstep! Looks fantastic! I’ll have to be on the lookout for some decent looking ones next time I’m at the store!

Julie @ Shining From Within — March 21, 2011 @ 7:09 am

I now feel the need to dunk all my veggies in parmsean&bread crumbs and call it a day.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 21, 2011 @ 7:16 am

Delicious! Are you one of the many whose pee smells after they eat asparagus? Is that too personal of a question?

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Hahahahah… I’ve never noticed it.

• Sherrie — March 24th, 2011 @ 7:46 am

It’s the craziest thing EVER! The first time I tried asparagus (a few years ago) it happened to me. I thought something was wrong with me, so much that I actually had to google it. ASPARAGUS was the culprit, and it doesn’t take a lot! It will probably gross you out, but take notice next time you go potty after eating asparagus. I eat it anyway, the more the better (with melted cheese drizzled all over it!)

• Hannah — April 23rd, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

I was talking about this the other day with someone when eating an asparagus quiche! Some people can’t smell it, but the veggie creates a sulphuric smell in urine after being digested because of an acid reaction. Here are two science-y articles about the phenom. :D Weird, who knew?

Blond Duck — March 21, 2011 @ 7:22 am

That looks a lot better than most of the asparagus I see!

Katrina — March 21, 2011 @ 7:26 am

These look so tasty. Asparagus is my favorite veggie!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 21, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I’m not a big fan of asparagus…but if I am going to eat it, it may as well be coated in a crispy crunchy coating like this! Good idea :)

Meaghan — March 21, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Oh yum! I love asparagus, but the boyfriend hates it. I bet I could get him to eat these though!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 21, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Making this. Totally making this.

Blog is the New Black — March 21, 2011 @ 7:42 am

So weird, lately! I made these recently, inspired by tempura fried veggies I had at a restaurant near me. Yours look awesome!

nancy k — March 21, 2011 @ 7:46 am

I love the thin spears. They are perfect for roasting with a little olive oil and seasoned salt and really crisp up in the oven. I convince myself they are a healthy substitute for french fries. I have never thought to coat them with cheese and panko crumbs…what a great idea. Guess I will have to head to the produce market to day as I really have to try these for dinner. Thanks!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 21, 2011 @ 7:50 am

These look great Jess! In my house, I’m the veggie-a-holic and my roommate eats cheese on just about everything, so I think this recipe would be a good compromise!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 21, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Oh man, this time of year finding good asparagus is impossible. And cheese makes everything better. Everything.

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 8:48 am

It’s just coming into season so hopefully you can find some good stuff soon!!

• Lucy — March 21st, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Yes, I have been noticing it at the store too. And soon the farmer’s markets will start up. I can’t wait!!

Erica — March 21, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Asparagus is amazing! I love when it goes on sale because those little bundles can be expensive! Great coating too.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 21, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Even parmesan encrusted I can’t do asparagus. It always makes me want to upchuck. Dang competition training.

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I hear ya. It took me nearly two years! I still can’t eat much.

Heather — March 21, 2011 @ 8:01 am

MIND = BLOWN

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 21, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Good for you for using asparagus! I make something similar- drizzle cooked and blanced asparagus with evoo, lemon, panko and parmesan. So easy and so good!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 21, 2011 @ 8:10 am

How gorgeous-what a perfect spring recipe!

Hannah — March 21, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Having just ordered aspargus smothered in morbier cheese and topped with melba toast and rocket at a restaurant on the weekend, I know I’d love these!

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 8:48 am

That sounds so good!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 21, 2011 @ 8:36 am

I love asparagus. Even if it does make certain things stinky. It’s a fave veggies of mine :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — March 21, 2011 @ 8:39 am

YUM crispy vegetables! This looks great.

Brittany — March 21, 2011 @ 8:39 am

What a gourmet style recipe! I imagine these would tempt even the most vegetable-hating kids!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 21, 2011 @ 8:39 am

I haven’t been loving asparagus lately, but this could turn me around!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 21, 2011 @ 8:47 am

These asparagus look fabulous! A great way to get my kids to eat them :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 21, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Yum! So happy that asparagus is in season. Those look divine!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — March 21, 2011 @ 9:14 am

I truly love roasted asparagus, and this crispy panko & cheese coating must make them even more delicious!

Fallon — March 21, 2011 @ 9:16 am

Asparagus is great when baked/ roasted in the oven!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 21, 2011 @ 9:22 am

I actually like asparagus a lot! I’m sure the crispy coating make them even better!!

Lucy — March 21, 2011 @ 9:38 am

One of my favorite (easy) ways to make asparagus is to drizzle it with olive oil and balsamic, sprinkle with peppa and sea salt and bake it, soooo delish! And I really don’t like green veggies either!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 21, 2011 @ 9:39 am

I think most veggies taste great coated in breadcrumbs :) Good call!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 21, 2011 @ 9:44 am

We just had our first asparagus of the season!! Mmmm…so good!

Tracey — March 21, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I love, love, love asparagus! I’ve got to try this once I find some decent looking asparagus in my area.

Maria — March 21, 2011 @ 9:57 am

These look amazing! I could use a switch up from my normal steaming of asparagus too. I will definitely be trying these out.

Cara — March 21, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Wow those look great! I wish I liked asparagus, it is literally the only vegetable that I can’t stand! Perhaps I could try the Parmesan crust with broccoli or zucchini!

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I think it would work!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 21, 2011 @ 10:06 am

I LOVE asparagus! It is one of my go-to vegetables. Coat them in cheese + panko and I’m all over it!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 21, 2011 @ 10:09 am

I am in love with this recipe! I love asparagus and I love parmesan!!! My hubby thinks parm smells like dirty feet, so I will get this delectable side all to myself ;-)

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Hahahahah so does mine! But he still eats it.

Natalia - a side of simple — March 21, 2011 @ 10:22 am

This is ideal for dipping…which is pretty much the ideal way to eat vegetables of any sort ;)

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I know, I should have made a dipping sauce!

Feast on the Cheap — March 21, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I love these – an asparagus snack!

Kacy — March 21, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Mmmm. Asparagus is one of my favorite green things. Those look great!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 21, 2011 @ 10:52 am

anything that closely resembles or is like french fries is right up my alley!! I will be trying this. I’ll take a break from real fries for awhile…give my arteries a break!

Jenny — March 21, 2011 @ 10:55 am

LOOKS SO GOOD..i love asparagus!

Naomi — March 21, 2011 @ 11:04 am

As georgeous as those are…I just cant do asparagus right now LOL….but that topping would be SO SO SO good on zuchinni slices or eggplant!!

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I know how you feel!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing — March 21, 2011 @ 11:28 am

I love that asparagus is popping up again! So good. We’ve found the roasting them is absolutely insane-delicious, and my husband can eat the whole pan if I make ‘em that way (despite being from the Midwest and occasionally being weirded out by my vegetable obsession) ;)

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Yes! Roasting them is really the only way I like it too.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — March 21, 2011 @ 11:46 am

YUM! These look amazing! I’m in love with asparagus, so I’ll have to try this.

Maranda — March 21, 2011 @ 11:53 am

You, my dear, are a genius!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 21, 2011 @ 11:56 am

I had to laugh out loud when reading the begining of your post… I totally squeeled when I saw thin asparagus on sale when we went to the store Sat morning for our dinner party. Thin asparagus is the BEST! …I roasted mine in the oven, but how could you go wrong with breading ;)

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Hahah glad I’m not the only one!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: espárragos crujientes con parmesano: un entrante original - Recetín

2. Pingback: 258. The Runs that Dreams are Made of « Girl Can…

3. Pingback: Seder Plate Challenge « Tales From A Kitchen Misfit

4. Pingback: Parmesan-Crusted Cut Green Beans. |

5. Pingback: 28 on the 28th | Painting Lilies

6. Pingback: so where were we « the edible perspective

7. Pingback: In Season: 10 Asparagus Recipes You’ll Devour | Yummly

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #83 – Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: My first recipe I’ve ever made « feelinlightonmyfeet

10. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « intothewebb

11. Pingback: The Witch is in the ‘Kitch… « keepcalmandloveon

12. Pingback: Christmas weekend. | kaitcetera

13. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Fries « Bakerlady

14. Pingback: Assemply Line Asparagus… Pinterest Recipe! | lacyandnikki

15. Pingback: Ebony Peoples Events & Design » Blog Archive » Tasty Tuesday: Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

16. Pingback: Some recipes I’ll fiddle with soon… « gapsdiary

17. Pingback: If you are what you drink… | Jenny On the Spot * This is what I do…

18. Pingback: Veggie-Packed Menu Plan | Family Friendly Weight Release For Busy Moms

19. Pingback: a Healthy Super Bowl Menu « unkreativekirsten

20. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Green Beans | The Spiffy Cookie

21. Pingback: Pinterest Faves: Scrumptious Side Dishes

22. Pingback: Asparagus | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page

23. Pingback: Good News

24. Pingback: Crispy Garlic Parmesan Asparagus |

25. Pingback: Celebrate Spring with these great asparagus recipe ideas - Seasons and Suppers

26. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus | Lynes In Love

27. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | How Sweet It Is

28. Pingback: A Few Things I’ve Learned « Krista Reese

29. Pingback: Without Daddy « navywifechronicles

30. Pingback: Kittens, Recipes, and Zooey Deschanel (oh my!) Chic Shopper Chick : Chic Shopper Chick

31. Pingback: Fried Asparagus, Yum-o!! - Crazy and Cool With a Side of Crafty

32. Pingback: 20 Snacks to Choose From This Weekend | GIF Peanut Butter

33. Pingback: Pinned and Forgotten — Let the Inspiration In Challenge Week 3 « Beyond The Green Door

34. Pingback: Pinterest Food Experiment: Parmesan Asparagus Spears | Fur And Away

35. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Asparagus

36. Pingback: Springtime Jasmine Rice Salad | How Sweet It Is

37. Pingback: Ideia de aperitivo: aspargos crocantes - Garotas Normais Garotas Normais

38. Pingback: Week of Oct 1 Menu | Journey with the Spirit

39. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus « sower sewer so her

40. Pingback: I <3 Asparagus «

41. Pingback: Recipe Fusion « Nicole Michelles

42. Pingback: Asparagi croccanti al forno | Angelina in cucina

43. Pingback: a Healthy Super Bowl Menu | unKreative kirsten

44. Pingback: HooplaHa - Eat Your Veggies Day!

45. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks. « The Anti-Couch

46. Pingback: Asparagus: How do you eat yours?

47. Pingback: Mouth Watering Mondays | Noshing With The Nolands