Who would have ever thought I would get excited about seeing something green on sale in the grocery store?

Not me.

But that’s what happened when I walked by these super thin asparagus spears. How often do I find thin asparagus that doesn’t look half dead and is on sale? Rarely.

And I sort of like asparagus. Sort of. And by “sort of,” I mean I can chew a spear or two without wanting to upchuck.

The whole upchucking thing usually doesn’t happen until the third of fourth spear.

But I figured I could possibly prevent that mess if I coated these in something crispy and cheesy. That combination never fails.

These were so incredibly easy to make and tasted delicious – kind of like little asparagus “fries.” I made a big batch yesterday and ate nearly all of them before deciding to let Mr. How Sweet in on the goodness. He tasted one and decided he loved them so much that he would take the remaining ones for lunch today. I’m not quite sure how well they will reheat, but for someone who will eat an eight-day old burger with moldy cheese from the depths of our fridge… I think they will certainly fit the bill.

I also think that these will taste even better with thicker asparagus spears. While I love the thin ones (thin = less vegetable chewing), the thick ones will be extra crunchy and get more crispy and cheesy. I’m all for more crisp and cheese. Who isn’t?

[print_this]

Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 30 spears)

2 egg whites

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)

1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.

Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

[/print_this]

Okay. That’s enough of the green stuff for me.

230 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks.”

Anne @ Baking Me — March 21, 2011 @ 11:59 am

This is so creative! Looks great, I love asparagus especially in the spring!

Theresa — March 21, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe! IMO asparagus Is ok, but not great and my DH loves it! I can’t wait to try this! And you’re so right, cheese makes almost any vegetable yummy!

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

That’s how I feel about it plain too!

A Little Nosh — March 21, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Oh how I wish this had been posted yesterday! I made asparagus spears last night just with olive oil, kosher salt, and garlic. Pretty tasty but didn’t look nearly as delicious as yours! The good news is that we still have some left so maybe I’ll make this with the next batch.

Kelly — March 21, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I love the really thin asparagus! It is so good. We got some fresh this weekend at the Farmer’s Market and it is thin and skinny and wonderful! :)

Kate — March 21, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Asparagus is one of the vegetables that I can eat but don’t love – this is the perfect way to fix that, cheese makes everything worth eating! Thanks for posting.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 21, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Mmmm asparagus….one of my very favorite foods. My only problem is that after I eat it I have totally weird smelling pee.

Sorry, tmi.

Sues — March 21, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

I love super thin asparagus and this is such a GREAT idea for serving it. When is parm not a good idea??

my little celebration — March 21, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

asparagus is my favorite roasted vegetable. I’ve never tried it “crispy” like this, but I’ll have to this spring!

maria — March 21, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I’m always looking for new ways to prepare veggies so thanks for this post! I wouldn’t have ever thought to do this.

JaNelle — March 21, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

By George you’ve gone it done it! LOL … I think this recipe will FINALLY get the husband/man to eat asparagus! Sending giant virtual hugs your way missy!

• Jessica — March 21st, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Back at ‘cha!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — March 21, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I actually really like asparagus. Adding a crispy crust to them makes the love even more intense!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 21, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Niiiice! I have a whole bunch of asparagus spears in my fridge that i got on sale! And they were fresh too ^.~ this sounds so delicious.

Tracy — March 21, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

You know, asparagus is the one vegetable I really can’t stand. I’ll have to try it like this and see if I can be converted!

Angela @ MyPinkyToes — March 21, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Okay…I have to admit…I’ve never eaten asparagus before…BUT after seeing this post, I’m definitely going to give it a try! Those look SOOO good!

Jennifurla — March 21, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Everything you make I want to try! Genius

Annie@stronghealthyfit — March 21, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Yum! Like tempura asparagus :-)

Kristin @ KristinEats — March 21, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

are. you. kidding. me.

I can’t wait to try these! Just found your blog – super cute and yummy. :)

Kelli — March 21, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

My whole family loves asparagus, but we always have it the same…steamed. I may not be able to get them to eat it steamed again if I try this out!

Natalie — March 21, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

Yummy! But Jessica, I thought you had Lachanophobia, a fear of vegetables. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — March 21, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

I pretty much love anything covered in panko. And cheese?! Oh yes. Great recipe, will definitely be trying soon.

Stephanie — March 21, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Oh, that looks GOOD! I really like how asparagus tastes, but the smell of asparagus pee makes me gag.

natalie — March 22, 2011 @ 12:02 am

I feel like I just died and went to heaven, I LOVE YOUR BLOG

bakingbitsandbobs — March 22, 2011 @ 2:17 am

These look so yummy! My boyfriend gags at the sight of asparagus, maybe this will change his mind :)

Jun — March 22, 2011 @ 3:54 am

Mmmmm, I’ve never thought of eating asparagus this way. Sounds so interesting!

Carolyn Jung — March 22, 2011 @ 11:48 am

These would be great for a cocktail party — or hoarded all to myself. LOL

Aggie — March 22, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

These look perfect!!

Kimby — March 22, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

Too funny about your hubby’s “eight day old burger with moldy cheese…” — I’ve got one of those, too. (The hubby, not the burger…) :) Have been enjoying all of your recipes on TK!

Squash Blossom Babies — March 23, 2011 @ 11:52 am

I’m going to make this tonight….I’m so excited I can hardly wait! Is it wrong to be excited about asparagus!?!

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Never!

Robyn | Add a Pinch — March 24, 2011 @ 9:39 am

oh yuuurrrmmmm! Love this!

thehealthyapron — March 24, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

mmm I’m loving this recipe!!

megan — March 24, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

Now this is the way to eat asparagus. It actually makes me excited to eat asparagus. Go figure. ;)

Emily R — March 25, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Usually I just drool over your pictures and I haven’t tried to actually follow a recipe. I too am a disliker of veggies. However, I decided to try these. I can usually choke down some asparagus if I have to and I needed new veggie ideas…actually tolerable! check check!!

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Glad you liked them!

Peggy — March 27, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Asparagus is definitely in right now! We stocked up last weekend and used the last of it a couple nights ago. I think we need to make another trip to the store so we can try these! =)

Lauren — March 28, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I really love your blog. I like your writing style, and your attitude towards food! I’ve already made a few of your recipes, and i can’t wait to try this!

Candy Little — March 30, 2011 @ 7:09 am

YUM!!!! I made them with dinner the other night and didnt even share them ;) I ate them all while standing at the counter. Nice job Jess!!!

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 7:14 am

So glad you liked them! Yay! Thanks so much!

Made these tonight, and I now like asparagus…I think I am going to start battering all my veggies with breadcrumbs and Parmesan :)

• Jessica — March 30th, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

So glad you liked them!

Samantha — April 1, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Made these a few nights ago and the kids dipped them in blue cheese dressing and ate them up!

Staci — June 29, 2011 @ 10:53 am

I made these last night and they are delish. I had to use regular bread crumbs because I ran out of time, but next time I am going to try it with the panko breadcrumbs – yours looked better. So delish, I can’t wait to have these again. I linked you to my blog, dangoodfinds.com (6-30-11). Thanks for sharing!

Kelli — July 1, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I have made these 4 times since I read the recipe last week. LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!

Kelli — July 1, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

I fogot to mention that I did change the recipe up a but and added lots of dried garlic. SUPER FANTASTIC!!!!

Lauren — July 8, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

Mine didn’t get crunchy but instead were floppy and chewy….any ideas?

Charlotte Ferreux — October 1, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Love this recipe!!! I posted it on my community foodie blog at http://www.facebook.com/thefrenchiefoodie. Hopefully you will come check it out and join. Feel free to post any of your favourite recipes there or post others that you love!!

C

Alison @CouponKitchen — November 4, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to try these. I myself never thought I would get excited about asparagus! I’m adding them to the weekly menu! Thanks for sharing :)

Dawn — November 21, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

I made these tonight after seeing them on Pinterest and they were amazing! I love asparagus anyway but my hubby doesn’t and he loved these too. :)

Kate — December 27, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I tried this recipe but in the middle of making it, I realized I was missing some items. Tried garlic and herb shake-n-bake instead of the seasoned bread crumbs (figured it might work because they’re right next to each other in the grocery aisle), It worked but I would add extra seasoning to give it a bit more kick. Ran to the grocery store and picked up some finely grated parmesan cheese. Was your cheese finely grated or was it the bigger flakes? All in all, they turned out pretty good. For a girl that never liked asparagus, I’d make this again. Thanks for the idea!

Kristen — January 4, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

After seeing these on pinterest, I had to try them! I have tried to make these twice and although they are VERY good, I am newlywed and trying my hand at cooking more and cannot seem to get the breadcrumb mixture to stick. I roll it back in the egg whites but rather than coating the asparagus, it coats my fingers!!!! Any suggestions? Mine are not near as coated as yours are. Thanks!
    -Kristen

Rachelle — January 29, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

I have an amazing curry dip recipe that I got from a friend that I make with my phyllo wrapped aspargus, I’m sure it would be great with these!
    CURRY DIP
    1 C Hellman’s Mayo
    2 T+ minced onion (to taste)
    Curry powder (to taste)
    Mix all together and dip! mmm

Lydia — January 31, 2012 @ 10:29 pm

SO excited to make these. Thank you!

Katie — February 1, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Can’t wait to try! Thanks for the idea.

DAW101 — February 7, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

Love asparagus!! Love finding new ways to fix it !!!! Can’t wait to try it! We like taking sheet of phylo brushing with melted butter sprinkle with parmesean roll couple of spears up and bake, daughter loves it! Thanks

1. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks | WorldFoodRecipes.com

2. Pingback: Dallas Wedding and Event Planner — Tasty Tuesday: Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

3. Pingback: Basil Lime Chicken with Panko Crusted Asparagus | Squarsh