A few months ago, I asked my Facebook and Twitter friends what their favorite face moisturizer was for normal skin. I have very normal skin: not oily, but occasionally dry when the weather changes; rare breakouts, but more if I use a very oily product. There were two products that got rave reviews from many people, so I decided to give them a try.

The first up:

Love this product! It is definitely too heavy to wear during the day, so I put it on each night before bed. I believe Kristin was one of the people who suggested this, and I have to admit that I went out immediately and grabbed it because she has glowing, gorgeous skin. Not kidding. I’ve been using it for almost six months and it is the perfect balance: light enough that it doesn’t cause breakouts, but heavy enough that it clears up dry skin.

Next:

I just bought my second bottle of this last week. Again, another product I absolutely love! It is very similar to the Cetaphil, but it is definitely lighter and perfect for daytime. Plus, it has sunscreen.

The only other product I occasionally use on my face is this:

Sometimes I will use this before going out. I don’t use any foundation on my face and hate when something feels “caked” on, so this tinted moisturizer is perfect.

And while I’m on the topic of products, I picked this up last week at Ulta.

It is now my go-to moisturizer right out of the shower. It smells good enough to eat.

Have a favorite moisturizer? What is it?

Okay. I’m done talking about non-food things for the day. Off to cook!

82 Responses to “Let’s Talk Skin Care.”

Erin @ The Grass Skirt — March 14, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Cetaphil is my favorite moisturizer by far. Every time I have strayed, I’ve always come back to it. I am also a tinted moisturizer fan. Right now, I use Cover Girl. It works great, and it is cheap!

• Cara Smith — March 15th, 2011 @ 12:16 am

I agree, Erin! Cetaphil rocks. I’ve also tried Cover Girl tinted moisturizer and liked it a lot! :-) My absolute fave is the Yes To Carrots moisturizer, though! Definitely my go-to product line (their lip balms are totally yummy, too). Has anyone else tried the YTC moisturizer?

jen @ taste life — March 14, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

What, no bacon-infused lotions???

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 14, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

Man!! You reminded me that I meant to pick up some cetaphil wash while I was out today. I’ve never tried that moisturzier. Actually I’ve never used any of those products and have never even heard of Yes to carrots. Is that something you find at a specialty store? I’m with you on tinted moisture – I love using it primarily in the summer though for that lighter feel while still giving me some kind of color. In the winter I need something more. Definitely going to look into those products and compare prices to what I’m use to!

Stephanie — March 14, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

The Cetaphil was highly recommended by my dermatologist, I love it and use the cleansing cream nightly for my face. My skin has never looked better!

amy — March 14, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

I recently got hooked on the Skin Vivo line by Biotherm. Its a little on the pricey side, but I love both the night and day formulas!

Rachel — March 14, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I am also totally in love with Cetaphil… my skin tends to be a little dry and also to have weird reactions to things with too much fragrance or whatever so it is perfect.

Also– just wanted to let you know my boyfriend and I made your crispy shrimp tacos Friday night, and loved them so much we made them again last night!! New favorite food?!

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

So glad you liked them! We ate them twice last week too. :)

Katie — March 14, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

I have the driest skin ever – maybe it’s due to the fact that I live at such high altitude – but I have to layer on the moisturizer a couple of times a day or else my face feels tight and uncomforable. My favorite that I’ve found is Pond’s – it’s ultra creamy and lasts for most of the day. I also wear generic brand sunscreen, which helps my with the dryness, too.

amanda @ fake ginger — March 14, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I bought this a couple weeks ago: http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_SKINCARE^RESCUE^RESCUE_DISCOVER^RESCUE_RTN2&prdcode=P10901 and I am OBSESSED. I have normal skin so I don’t need a lot of moisture and this is perfect. I use it morning and night and it’s especially great now that it’s warmer – the gel is almost cooling. Love it. I will cry if they ever discontinue it.

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

You’re a great salesperson. Now I want to run out and buy that.

Mary (A Merry Life) — March 14, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Ooooh! I was so excited when I saw this post title.

I’ve heard a couple recommendations for Cetaphil. I have to try it now. My skin gets dry and is really sensitive so hopefully it will be something that works.

Thanks for all the product recommendations! :)

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — March 14, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Right now I’m loving the facial moisturizer from Trader Joe’s. It doesn’t leave a greasy feeling and it keeps my face soft all day…plus its SPF 15 :) I’m def on the same page about the non-cakey cover up too. I typically just use a light powder bronzer to avoid that slimy feeling! I’ll definitely try tinted moisturizer though, sounds good!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — March 14, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Great suggestions! Thanks!

Kate — March 14, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I’m really lucky to live in a place with lots of artisan things, and skin care products is one of those! I have a few different really nice creams, and I’ve never heard of any of the ones you talked about!

Alaina — March 14, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

I love the aloe skin care line from the Body Shop. I have very sensitive skin and it works great for me! I use the moisturizer, toner and foam.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 14, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I love any cocoa butter body lotion – I often buy the big bottle from Avon. Smells so good!!

Ally (oatsandspice) — March 14, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I LOVE that you did a skin care post – I am total product junkie :) – Stila is one of my fav brands!

I have been seeing that Say Yes To Carrots brand at Target and I have been meaning to try it for quite some time! Thanks for the post girly :)

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen — March 14, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

I really like Alba Botanica products. I used to use Arbonne cleansers & moisturizers (and looooved them), but when they got way too expensive, I switched to Alba. I’ve been super happy with them. They also have moisturizer with sunscreen.

• Paula — March 15th, 2011 @ 9:14 am

Yes, I so agree! The Alba pineapple cleanser and pineapple scrub are incredible, too

Heather — March 14, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I love, and use Aveda green science, but it’s really a little more $$ than I’d like to spend. I have never used Cetaphil – but will certainly try it when I run out of moisturizer! Love this review -thank you!

Jenny — March 14, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I use Aveeno Positively Radiant. I’ve used it for years and love it! The night cream is good too, when I remember to wash my face at night, anyway (cardinal sin, I know). I’ve heard really good things about Say Yes to Carrots, so I may have to try that!

Valerie — March 14, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Well cool! My daily lotion is just running out and was on the lookout to try something new. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin — March 14, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I LOVE the new Arbonne FC5 line. All natural, botanical and it’s not as expensive as their RE9 line!

Ella @ The Princess and the P — March 14, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I’m a Cetaphil lover too, but I use the kind in the pump bottle with the SPF. I’ve tried other moisturizers, but my skin gets very finicky (and blotchy!) in the winter and the Cetaphil really helps. I’m definitely interested in the Yes to Carrots, though – hooray for cruelty-free skin care!

Kimberly — March 14, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

Aveeno Ultra Calming with SPF 15. A dermatologist recommended it to me once (which I really appreciated, because while it is not necessarily cheap, it is way cheaper than something like Dermalogica and you can find it almost anywhere!). If I have one complaint it is that I wish it was a little bit heavier, BUT I have super sensitive skin, so I am happy to have something that does not make me break out– maybe the lightness is key to me not breaking out? I would rather have to apply more mid day of a light moisturizer rather than wear something that makes my skin oily and that can cause a break out. Also the SPF is nice because I would forget to use it most days otherwise.

Sarah K — March 14, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

Did you know that Cetaphil makes a daily moisturizer w/SPF 15 in it? You might give that a shot if you like the “heavier” version. I use their cleanser, too, as soap is too hard on my skin in the winter (I get eczema on my knuckles).

Jess — March 14, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

i’m a recent kiehls convert!

surlykitchen — March 14, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

my dermatologist recommended to me ceraVe (http://www.ceraVe.com/), for both facial wash and moisturizer. it’s kinda expensive ~13/bottle, but it lasts a long time and it works great. my boyfriend and i both use the face wash and moisturizer. we get them at CVS. our target doesn’t carry this particular brand. we love it.

Lindsey @Textbooks and Cookbooks — March 14, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

My favorite, must-have moisturizer is Curel! I have very dry skin and have used it since I was probably 3 years old. It’s light enough to wear during the day and does not cause breakouts, but it’s heavy enough to take care of any dryness.

I also love Ahava’s mineral foot cream…absolutely amazing! They have it from time to time at TJ MAXX too :)

Aejin Hahn — March 14, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I use sweet almond oil as a face+body moisturizer.

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — March 14, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

body shop’s illuminating moisturizer is one of my favorites! I wore it at my wedding and everyone said i was glowing so much they thought i was preggo (lol!) so ever since then, its a staple! My fav for nighttime is body shop wise woman night cream b/c it is sooo thick and moisturizing and sinks in so easily! without making me break out – which is uber important b/c my skin is normal but sennnnnnsitive!

The yes to carrots moisturizer sounds good! I always want to try it when i see it in stores! <3

Lesley — March 14, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

Seconding the Cerave vote. My dermatologist recommended that I start using the cleanser and moisturizer a few years ago, and I’ve never looked back. And I’d tried eeeeeverything.

Regina — March 14, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I LOVE Booth’s 4 in 1 body lotion!!! I just have a hard time choosing between the vanilla butter and lemon sugar!

briana — March 14, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

This sounds gross, but I sometimes put vaseline under my eyes and on my lips before bed! It really helps moisturize dry skin but it’s not a very sexy look, so I don’t do it every night!

Heather — March 14, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

I’m just a good ol’ fashioned Oil of Olay girl. Mom used it too. I’ve used a few other things off & on but always go back to this. It’s most reasonable price-wise.

My MIL got me some Philosophy for Christmas & I did love the Hope in a Jar. I also am still using their daily exfoliating scrub. Good stuff!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 14, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

I always hear rave things about Cetaphil too. I was always worried it was too heavy for normal skin. Thanks for letting me know its good for night!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 14, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

I use all Derma e products. They are organic, vegan, paraban and cruelty free … and awesome :-)

Low — March 14, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I’m going to have to try that Stila tinted moisturizer. My skin has been kind of blah lately and could use a little illumination!

James Stewart — March 14, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

My family uses Arbonne products. Arbonnes products are pure, safe, beneficial and 100% Vegan certified.

rebecca lustig — March 14, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

i agree cetaphil is DEFINITELY a night product.. my mom swears by it though!

Erin @ fitmamatraining — March 14, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

Also a product junkie! And Im very particlar about skincare as my acne landed me in the derm office for the first time when I was 7. No joke.
    I LOVE Lush (lushusa.com)`s vanishing cream and black angels face scrub. I also make my own scrub with sugar and organic coconut oil and use just the oil as a body moisturiser and OCM with it once a week. All natural. Awesome.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 14, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

I wish I had great skin. I have tons of blackheads and break out frequently. I blame it on my hormones – they’re crazy.

WenDee Riffe — March 14, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

My favorite facial moisturizer is Hope In A Jar by Philosophy!!
    I have left it and always come back to it!!! My favorite hand lotion is Eucerine PLUS Intensive Repair Hand Cream—gotta try this stuff!!! My fave entire body lotion is Amazing Grace by Philosophy!!! However–I wanna try the ones that you have recommended. Thanks !!

Laura @FoodSnobSTL — March 14, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Trader Joe’s carries a great facial moisturizer. It comes in an orange bottle. No parabens or bad chemicals and it’s only $5! All of my make-up is Aveda. I like to know what goes into the stuff I slather all over my skin and I trust the Aveda line.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 14, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

I love Kiehl’s Tinted Moisturizer – it has SPF and I get the lightest version because I’m so fair. It’s a little heavier than others I’ve tried but I like it because otherwise I look like the undead, True Blood-style. And I just can’t pull that one off.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 14, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

Oil of Olay original is my favorite facial moisturizer.

Jessica — March 15, 2011 @ 6:04 am

My favourite moisturizer is Aloette products. They have no chemical fillers and feel amazing on my face. I have a regular moisturizer and a wrinkle preventer. Apparently once you are in your twenties you need to start with these things so I am hoping it works….:P

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — March 15, 2011 @ 8:11 am

for a second I thought you were going to say you use Lard as a moisturizer! Though, back in the day lard was used in making bar soap!

Lately I’ve been using coconut oil on my body, I mix coconut oil with some sugar or salt and rub it on my body in the shower, then rinse off. Your skin feels amazing afterward, I do this a lot in the summer time after hanging out by the pool.

I like Mychelle product and Oil of Olay products too! I’ve been wanting to try the Yes to Carrots products.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I like coconut oil too!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — March 15, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I LOVE Garnier Fructis’ Moisture Rescue gel. It’s not a cream, so it’s VERY light, and clears up my (very) dry skin. It’s the best moisturizer I’ve ever tried!

Jason @ Shutter & Saute — March 15, 2011 @ 9:27 am

I almost bought yes to carrots shampoo + conditioner about a month ago at our local grocery store. But the display was very dusty, and dust scares me. Weird? Yes. Maybe I will re-evaluate my fear of dusty displays and make the purchase. It did smell delicious.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:24 am

Hahahah! I totally agree. Dust would make me think people don’t use it for a reason.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats — March 15, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Ahhh – Cetaphil. Changed my life! Clinique also has this gel with salycilic acid in it that clears blemishes up lightening quick. It’s my secret weapon!!

Katie@Just Because Katie — March 15, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Hey Jessica… Where can you buy “Yes to Carrots?” I have an Ulta and a Sephora right around the corner ~ very dangerous. Love those stores!!! So much fun to play in :)

• Jessica — March 15th, 2011 @ 10:22 am

I got mine at Ulta!

Marelize — March 15, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I am totally a Kiehls girl. I LOVE their moisturizer (light but with a sunscreen) and their face-wash and their everything. I just love their products.

1. Pingback: Notoedric Mange Makes Your Pet Suffer | About Dogs and Cats

2. Pingback: What are some,or 1 anti-acne product(s) and specificly natural & organic ones, which have positive effects ?

3. Pingback: Things I’m {Currently} Obsessing Over. | How Sweet It Is