Let’s face it: sometimes we all need a dessert that only makes two servings.

Sometimes we just can’t handle 12 servings.

Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in two hours. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever.

FYI: I have no idea what that is like.

Haven’t you always wished you could make just enough dessert for yourself? Or yourself and one other person?

Or… just yourself?

Me too.

But more often than not, I’ve found it to be a hassle to drag out the mixer, cream the sugar and butter, sift the dry ingredients and all that fun stuff for a measly two cupcakes.

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Well, I was lazy. Until I decided to make these cupcakes for two. This is only my second or third cupcake recipe completely from scratch and completely from my own recipe development, and I am so excited with the result.

It is definitely your typical white cake; fluffy and soft, full of vanilla flavor, and the perfect vehicle for some fluffy white frosting.

And it only takes one bowl! Not creaming, no mixer, no folding… just you, a bowl and a spoon. Try not eating some of that batter. Yeah right.

I think what I love most about these cupcakes is their customizability. Mr. How Sweet and I can have different flavors of frosting or even some different fruit, nuts or chocolate chips added in our cupcakes if we’d like. Meaning that I can make mine fun and fancy and he can keep his plain and boring. Nothin’ new there.

[print_this]

One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two

serves 2

1 egg white

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla (yes, a full teaspoon – they are super vanilla-y!)

1/4 cup flour

1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 2 liners.

In a bowl, add egg white and sugar and whisk until combined. Add in vanilla and melted butter and stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between the 2 cupcake liners.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost as desired. I used some leftover white chocolate frosting.

[/print_this]

I have an inkling that these “easy” cupcakes may be made nightly. Does that defeat the purpose?

704 Responses to “One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two.”

The Teenage Taste — March 16, 2011 @ 6:56 am

YES! Everyone needs a cupcake (or two) every once in a while!
    Great recipe, Jess! I love that it’s so easy to make! :-)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — March 16, 2011 @ 6:57 am

I love single (or double) serving desserts! I’m currently working on a peanut butter chocolate lava cake for one – haven’t quite perfected it yet. These cupcakes, on the other hand, look absolutely perfect… so they will be made sometime soon.

Blond Duck — March 16, 2011 @ 6:58 am

I think it’s a great idea! It’s so hard. Like I’ve been craving pecan pie for weeks,but know if I make a whole one I’ll eat it ALL and make myself sick as a horse. So my new goal is to make mini pies…

Melanie — March 16, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I love this idea!! One jumbo cupcake would be fab too!!
    Have you ever seen these jumbo tall cupcake pans and liners?
    (saw them used on Cupcake Wars)…

VeggieGirl — March 16, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Aww cute! :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life — March 16, 2011 @ 7:05 am

Love this idea, Jessica!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness — March 16, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I love being able to find desserts that only make a couple servings. I always say I’m “making them for people at work”, but even then I end up sneaking way more sugar than I should… ;)

Eates-A-Lot — March 16, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Jessica has portion control?
    Say it ain’t so!

Awesome idea however.

Katrina — March 16, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Awww I love that these are for two!! These are so cute, I love them!

Erica — March 16, 2011 @ 7:13 am

Such a great idea. Perfect for a special anniversary celebration. I’ve definitely never eaten beyond my share of dessert in one sitting….nope that hasn’t happened ;)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 16, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I love how beautifully simple these are. Cupcake for breakfast anyone? :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 16, 2011 @ 7:17 am

These are so cute!! I love recipes like this :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — March 16, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Built in portion control! I love it, and boy do I need it since I lack self-control, lol.

Heather — March 16, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Heck yes! This is such an awesome idea. There are definitely times when I want a dessert for just me and my honey (esp. since we currently have no kids). Gorgeous pics – LOVELY papers. Utterly perfect, imo.

Toni — March 16, 2011 @ 7:25 am

a double serving is perfect!!! They look delicious! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 16, 2011 @ 7:30 am

I am the queen of one bowl foods. Hand mixing, i.e. a spoon. As few dishes as possible, as little work as possible, that is me.

Beautiful food styling..the blue cake wrappers w/ the blue placemat…so pretty. They look PERFECT!

A guaranteed FG/TS accept :)

Blog is the New Black — March 16, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Genius, you are. I love the idea of a quick hit of dessert! Winner!

Cara — March 16, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I love these! They are so simple and beautiful! Sometimes I only want to make just one or two cupcakes and I’m thinking tonight is going to be one of those nights!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 16, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I like making smaller batches from time to time. Sometimes you just need a little sweet hit. I am guilty of making small batches over and over again too. These look like perfect treats!

Christina — March 16, 2011 @ 7:49 am

This is perfect! The hubby and I always crave dessert after dinner. I will be making these!

Hannah — March 16, 2011 @ 7:55 am

Because every single girl needs at least two cupcakes :)

Melissa — March 16, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Thank you. I love you. I live alone and I’m constantly looking for individually portioned desserts. Making them nightly is totally ok for me, I just have to have some kind of cut off point. If there are 12, I will eat 12. Only 2, well, that’s more reasonable. Same with cookie dough. I make an individual portion each night, and that’s all I eat. So what if I make it every night! At least I’m just having the one portion! :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 16, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Now I officially have no reason not to have cupcakes every day. Right? ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 16, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Ahhh, that’s better! I think I can handle 2 cupcakes verses the baker’s dozen. Btw, hosting a giveaway on my blog today!

Katie — March 16, 2011 @ 8:05 am

What a genius idea! Thanks for the recipe!

carolinebee — March 16, 2011 @ 8:06 am

YUMM!! This is so perfect, i may have found a new vehicle for that “alleged” left-over Bailey’s ;D

nevernotdreaming — March 16, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Jessica, this is wonderful!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 16, 2011 @ 8:14 am

I can never handle entire batches of things, cupcakes for 2 is perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 16, 2011 @ 8:15 am

These are so cute! I love the large vanilla quantity… I’m a vanilla-a-holic (same with cinnamon) and like to add copious amounts to my recipes as well!

Heather — March 16, 2011 @ 8:18 am

make ‘em in chocolate too!!!! holy crap, this one’s going to be dangerous…

Erica — March 16, 2011 @ 8:20 am

This is a great idea Jessica! Love all your creativity :)

nancy k — March 16, 2011 @ 8:23 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love cupcakes but avoid making them as I could easily eat the whole dozen if I don’t immediately put them in the freezer.
    This recipe looks yummy. I plan on trying it tonight…got some leftover ganace in the freezer. Now one favor, could you now develop a chocolate version?

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I will try!

Kita — March 16, 2011 @ 8:23 am

these are absolutely adorable. Sometimes 12/24 cupcakes makes me feel like Im going to suffocate. These are perfect :)

Kelly @ Featheredflower — March 16, 2011 @ 8:24 am

What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing….

BrightBakes — March 16, 2011 @ 8:37 am

What perfect timing! The mister is traveling for business this week…since I’m a single girl now, I get to make these cupcakes for me and…. ME! :)
    love,
    cathy b.
    p.s. I must demand…where’ the sprinkles?

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I know… I didn’t want them confused with funfetii cupcakes. Hahah!

Mandy — March 16, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Brilliant! I’ve often tried to master the coffee mug cake for an individual serving of goodness, but it’s never turned out exactly as I’d like. The two-cupcake idea is absolutely perfect though!

I think we need some variations of the vanilla…chocolate and red velvet maybe??

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I agree!

Shannon — March 16, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Awesome idea and that cupcake looks so yummy and delicious. I love white cake!!

Genie — March 16, 2011 @ 8:44 am

OOOOH! I know what I’m making this weekend!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 16, 2011 @ 8:53 am

These are so cute — and yes sometimes I want to only make 1 or 2 cupcakes so this is perfect!

kate@ahealthypassion — March 16, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Hooray for portion control!

Nicole — March 16, 2011 @ 9:12 am

So smart!

Jessica @confessions of a juggler — March 16, 2011 @ 9:12 am

This is brilliant. As a single person there are so many times when I want a cupcake but don’t want to make an entire dozen of them because I don’t NEED a dozen cupcakes. But two. That’s perfect!

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — March 16, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Cupcakes-how can you make just 2?

Kaylie — March 16, 2011 @ 9:19 am

This is amazing. And perfect. Whenever I make cupcakes, there are TONS AND TONS leftover and I end up eating three a day.
    Do you have suggestions on how to do this with any recipe? Is it as simple as dividing the expected number by whatever number to get two – okay, that’s confusing. Ex: If it makes 16, divide all the ingredients by 8? I feel like it’s more complex than that…
    Thanks! Love your blog!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I always halve and quarter recipes for us, I wrote about it here: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/08/baking-for-two/. I’ve never ended up with just two though.

That being said, I didn’t go off of any recipe of cut a certain recipe in half for this. I created it with just two servings in mind. For other recipes, you’d probably have to 1/8 them? I’m terrible at math, I’d never do that!

Kim in MD — March 16, 2011 @ 9:23 am

You are a culinary genious, Jessica!

Question for you- do you spray your muffin liners with non-stick cooking spray? I made a batch of cupcakes last weekend (and didn’t spray the liners) and I couldn’t peel off the paper! I was taking them to a party, so I couldn’t have that! I threw them out and made another batch (this time spraying the liners) and they peeled off without effort. I will never make cupcakes again without spraying the liners first.

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I rarely do. That is odd!

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — March 16, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Adorable!

I live by myself and on weekdays when no one is around and I want cake I always feel like such a glutton making like a whole cake or 12 cupcakes. I tried the whole microwave chocolate cake thing, but GAG. I’ll probably make these now when I get a craving!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 16, 2011 @ 9:30 am

What a perfect idea!! ;-)

Rachel — March 16, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I love this idea! I always have the same problem, so I can only bake something if we are going somewhere so that I can give it to other people. This is great for that baking/cake craving!

Shanna, Like Banana — March 16, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Sheesh..how many times do you want me to tell you you’re a genius, because clearly you are. Would you believe I love vanilla even more than chocolate?

Jen — March 16, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Sounds like vanilla sugar would be awesome in these and I just bought some!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Agree!

1 2 3 10

1. Pingback: Seriously?! « Love Eat Run

2. Pingback: Read this instead | Anywho

3. Pingback: One for you & One for me « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

4. Pingback: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody – In the defense of cupcakes…

5. Pingback: Cupcake Control | Simple Eats

6. Pingback: Living One Bite at a Time » How To Spend Less Than $11 at CVS

7. Pingback: Butterscotch Vanilla Cupcakes | endless rain into a paper cup

8. Pingback: What’s Cooking? «

9. Pingback: Rainy Day Cupcakes for Two | The Artsy Kitchen

10. Pingback: Soup, Cupcakes, and Mumford & Sons « The General Specific

11. Pingback: Small-Batch Chocolate Frosting « Cake Is The Only Thing That Matters

12. Pingback: Late (Coconut Cupcakes) | Fudge Is My Last Name

13. Pingback: How-To: One Bowl, One Serving Cupcakes @Craftzine.com blog

14. Pingback: Sometimes You Just Need Two Cupcakes | make:Tulsa

15. Pingback: Let Down | From China Village

16. Pingback: Hautelinks: Week of 7/28/11 – College Fashion

17. Pingback: {have your cake} and eat it for 2…

18. Pingback: Menu August 7-13, 2011 « Plath’s Adventures

19. Pingback: Hi, I’m Anna-Leigh and I’m a Pinterest addict… |

20. Pingback: Vanilla Lime Cupcakes {For Two} With Lime Whipped Cream « urban strawberries

21. Pingback: Easy Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes For Two | Kelsi Does Hair

22. Pingback: Mini Yellow Layer Cake on a Panini Press | Panini Happy®

23. Pingback: Mini Funfetti Birthday Cake « Wright Time for a Schnack

24. Pingback: Pumpkin Cupcakes | Hitha On The Go

25. Pingback: in which i explain how cupcakes heal me. « i am creating the life i love.

26. Pingback: Your Guide to Lazy Baking, Part 4: How to Make Cupcakes for Two Using One Bowl | howtow | How to What?

27. Pingback: Your Guide to Lazy Baking, Part 4: How to Make Cupcakes for Two Using One Bowl - How To Videos

28. Pingback: Your Guide to Lazy Baking, Part 4: How to Make Cupcakes for Two Using One Bowl - How To Videos

29. Pingback: Your Guide to Lazy Baking, Part 4: How to Make Cupcakes for Two Using One Bowl - How To Videos

30. Pingback: Your Guide to Lazy Baking, Part 4: How to Make Cupcakes for Two Using One Bowl | INFOARTICLES

31. Pingback: All the Single Ladies | BittersweetBrooke

32. Pingback: Stephen’s Birthday « Le Petite Hoot

33. Pingback: Friday + Favorites « gatsby & glitter

34. Pingback: BreakThru Radio

35. Pingback: Icing in the Middle by riley2014 - Pearltrees

36. Pingback: Vanilla Cupcakes for Two «

37. Pingback: food by lulla - Pearltrees

38. Pingback: Happy Birthday to Iris! | Iris's World

39. Pingback: “Mom, I’m Bored!”-Making a bored jar | Smells Like Insanity

40. Pingback: desserts by alikish - Pearltrees

41. Pingback: You Win Some, You Lose Some « Eating Tech

42. Pingback: good eats by howpeachy - Pearltrees

43. Pingback: Kindergarten – the week of randomness | Royal Baloo

44. Pingback: Crazy Simple Cupcakes for Two | All's Fare Food Blog

45. Pingback: Weekly Wrap-Up: The $12 Salad Greens Edition | Formation of a Foodie Weekly Wrap-Up: The $12 Salad Greens Edition | Following my passion for food to see where it takes me

46. Pingback: What a nice day.. « Jeanne

47. Pingback: Give Me Some Sugar: Valentines Day Recipes for him&her | LA Grove Living

48. Pingback: Recipes: Sweet Treats + Leese Fitch Wine Pairing | LA Grove Living

49. Pingback: Cupcakes for Two » Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts