Let’s face it: sometimes we all need a dessert that only makes two servings.

Sometimes we just can’t handle 12 servings.

Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in two hours. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever.

FYI: I have no idea what that is like.

Haven’t you always wished you could make just enough dessert for yourself? Or yourself and one other person?

Or… just yourself?

Me too.

But more often than not, I’ve found it to be a hassle to drag out the mixer, cream the sugar and butter, sift the dry ingredients and all that fun stuff for a measly two cupcakes.

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Well, I was lazy. Until I decided to make these cupcakes for two. This is only my second or third cupcake recipe completely from scratch and completely from my own recipe development, and I am so excited with the result.

It is definitely your typical white cake; fluffy and soft, full of vanilla flavor, and the perfect vehicle for some fluffy white frosting.

And it only takes one bowl! Not creaming, no mixer, no folding… just you, a bowl and a spoon. Try not eating some of that batter. Yeah right.

I think what I love most about these cupcakes is their customizability. Mr. How Sweet and I can have different flavors of frosting or even some different fruit, nuts or chocolate chips added in our cupcakes if we’d like. Meaning that I can make mine fun and fancy and he can keep his plain and boring. Nothin’ new there.

One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two

serves 2

1 egg white

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla (yes, a full teaspoon – they are super vanilla-y!)

1/4 cup flour

1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 2 liners.

In a bowl, add egg white and sugar and whisk until combined. Add in vanilla and melted butter and stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between the 2 cupcake liners.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost as desired. I used some leftover white chocolate frosting.

I have an inkling that these “easy” cupcakes may be made nightly. Does that defeat the purpose?

736 Responses to “One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two.”

Alex — April 5, 2014 @ 1:47 am

These were amazing and perfect. I used self rising flour so I didn’t have to add the salt and baking powder. I am going to be making these every night. They are easy and quick to make.

Cindy — April 24, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

Awesome! Had left over amazing frosting from Easter-cream cheese with irish butter. Turned out perfect. A great recipe when you have the itch to bake but don’t need the quantity. Very satisfying.

Bailey — April 30, 2014 @ 11:13 pm

These were so good! I used a whole egg, and still tasted great.

kat — May 30, 2014 @ 12:54 am

These were yummy, will definitely make them again!

sophiaptt1 — May 31, 2014 @ 11:27 pm

so so so so Amazing! i loved it! Yum. i will be making those from now on!

meme — July 6, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

what kind of flour is used?
    Is it okay to use all purpose flour? :-)

meme — July 6, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

is it okay to use all purpose flour?
    will it turn out the same?

Sophia — July 17, 2014 @ 11:44 am

These where great!!! I used buttercream icing on mine, me and my hubby loved it on our date night!

Katlyn — August 18, 2014 @ 7:02 pm

I just made these and they turned out really good. My only problem was I tried to make them chocolate. By not adding as much vanilla and adding cocoa powder however my didn’t really taste like vanilla or chocolate kind of a mixed taste. Really weird.

Krystal — August 29, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

They were really heavy and dense for some reason. You could also really taste the egg, I only used the egg white, not the whole egg.

Dea Trill — October 10, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I made these 2 cupcakes tonight and have a winner!! When they were baked, I split them in two and cooled them. Then, I put spread some strawberry jam and put them back together and topped with a little butter cream frosting. What’s not to like about this??? YUM!

Kim — December 29, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

I’ve made your recipe at least a dozen times now, and I’ve never had it bake in 12 minutes. It’s always closer to 20. I know my oven is okay. Does it really bake in your oven in 10-12 mins at 350?

Stephanie — February 6, 2015 @ 7:21 pm

So bummed! These didn’t work out for me. I followed the recipe exactly and combined everything in order. Turned out very dense and spongy, tasted eggy, took a very long time to cook, and stuck horribly to the cupcake liners :(

LaLeeRu — February 23, 2015 @ 4:41 am

Thank you, Jessica at How Sweet!
    Yesterday I made 24 cupcakes for my daughter’s class for her birthday today, enough for the 16 kids, the 2 teachers & the women in the office. Unfortunately while I was running errands yesterday afternoon, our beloved dog was able to knock 2 of the cupcakes off of the counter and happily ate them, wrapper and all. I didn’t want to make another full batch of cupcakes; even cutting the recipe in half would have made many more than I needed to replace the cupckes that were eaten. I didn’t believe I could find a recipe for just 2 cupcakes, but sure enough I found your wonderful recipe after performing a basic Google search! I was overjoyed to find your easy and delicious recipe!
    Thank you!

Rinaldi Rwpbsd — April 13, 2015 @ 12:41 am

Maknyus nih kuenya … pengen deh nyicipin. Terima kasih ya sudah berbagi

Rina Gonjreng — April 15, 2015 @ 6:19 pm

your cupcakes looks really delicious. the appearance is beautiful. the taste must be also addictive. in my country, there is also cakes that looks beautiful. we name it, kue tete’. hope you can also taste it.

Rina Gonjreng — April 15, 2015 @ 6:21 pm

i love that cupcakes. looks tasty. i think you must also try our cakes. we have kue cubit. small size, but have big impact when you bite it. nyummy

Agar-agar busa — May 7, 2015 @ 5:03 am

woow, look yummy

Kiki — June 12, 2015 @ 7:00 pm

Welp! Why did my batter make FOUR cupcakes?! Well, fret not, my one mouth can eat four cupcakes as easily as two

Kel — July 2, 2015 @ 9:37 pm

These turned out horribly. Dense, spongy, eggy…yuck. I followed the recipe exactly. I bake frequently and this is NOT how a cupcake should taste.

pecinta motor keren — August 26, 2015 @ 11:05 pm

weew, looks delicious yummy, im gonna try this for breakfast tomorrow morning!
    hope i’ll made it as good as you did..

Ella Taylor — September 17, 2015 @ 8:05 am

These were disgusting, way too much baking powder and the taste was just wrong. I like the idea for small batches but please fix the recipe.

Lisa — September 19, 2015 @ 9:26 pm

I just made these with my daughter and her friends. They thought they were amazing! One of the girls asked if we could make them every time she comes over.

1 8 9 10