Let’s face it: sometimes we all need a dessert that only makes two servings.

Sometimes we just can’t handle 12 servings.

Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in two hours. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever.

FYI: I have no idea what that is like.

Haven’t you always wished you could make just enough dessert for yourself? Or yourself and one other person?

Or… just yourself?

Me too.

But more often than not, I’ve found it to be a hassle to drag out the mixer, cream the sugar and butter, sift the dry ingredients and all that fun stuff for a measly two cupcakes.

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Well, I was lazy. Until I decided to make these cupcakes for two. This is only my second or third cupcake recipe completely from scratch and completely from my own recipe development, and I am so excited with the result.

It is definitely your typical white cake; fluffy and soft, full of vanilla flavor, and the perfect vehicle for some fluffy white frosting.

And it only takes one bowl! Not creaming, no mixer, no folding… just you, a bowl and a spoon. Try not eating some of that batter. Yeah right.

I think what I love most about these cupcakes is their customizability. Mr. How Sweet and I can have different flavors of frosting or even some different fruit, nuts or chocolate chips added in our cupcakes if we’d like. Meaning that I can make mine fun and fancy and he can keep his plain and boring. Nothin’ new there.

[print_this]

One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two

serves 2

1 egg white

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla (yes, a full teaspoon – they are super vanilla-y!)

1/4 cup flour

1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 2 liners.

In a bowl, add egg white and sugar and whisk until combined. Add in vanilla and melted butter and stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between the 2 cupcake liners.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost as desired. I used some leftover white chocolate frosting.

[/print_this]

I have an inkling that these “easy” cupcakes may be made nightly. Does that defeat the purpose?

701 Responses to “One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two.”

Mandy — April 16, 2012 @ 1:51 am

Just made these for my friends birthday tomorrow!!! Yummy!
    I made some slight alterations:
    Replaced white sugar with brown sugar
    Used whole wheat flour
    Added blueberries and a simple blueberry glaze!
    So Yummy!!! A bit more on the savory side!

Talia — April 16, 2012 @ 11:17 am

Is there a frosting for two recipe???

• victoria — May 25th, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting for Two
      Adapted from Sweet Peony
      1/4 cup (1/2) stick unsalted butter, softened
      1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
      2-3 teaspoons water
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

• Lily — June 25th, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

That made way too much frosting for me! I’d half that recipe. On the plus side, I have extra frosting for my next project! ;)

Jeanette — April 21, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

This may be a uber dumb question but is there a reason I can’t use the whole egg? I hate being wasteful and to throw out the yoke doesn’t sit well with me so I am wondering can I just use the whole egg??

• Rachael — May 15th, 2012 @ 2:11 pm

If u use the yoke the cupcake won’t look white it will be yellow. That’s they only reason. I tried it both ways.

Lindsay — April 21, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

I just made these and they turned out great! To the question above, if you click on her white chocolate frosting link above, it’ll give you the recipe for that. I just did it and it is definitely worth it! So delicious! I just cut the recipe in 1/4 and it worked out great! :)

• Emma — August 15th, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

In the oven now!! Can’t wait. I noticed when I was making the batter, it was really thick, so, I just added 1/2 tsp. more milk. I hope they turn out…

Heather — April 23, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Jeanette, I’m new to cooking, but I think it is because the yolk would color the cake. If it was a chocolate cake then you would use the whole egg, but because it is vanilla the yolk would tint it from the vanilla white that we think of!

jennifer13 — April 25, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe. My daughter has some food issues and I make these (with a couple of substitutions) any time she has a birthday party to go to. FYI, I substitute rice milk for the cow milk and palm oil shortening for the butter. This really helped us; I used to make a batch of cupcakes and freeze them but she didn’t enjoy them so much defrosted.

• Chloe — November 13th, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

hi there,
      i just saw your comment about this recipe. i have made many cupcakes and frozen them and they are never very good defrosted. but they are actually very good frozen. you should seriously try them when they are still frozen!

Brooke — May 1, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

Wow this is amazing! A lifesaver actually! I’ve really been getting into baking lately and this recipe saves me a lot of money on supplies and also time and effort when really my objective is just to make some fun flavors and practice and stuff! Even if I want to make a cupcake in a whole different direction the base measurements and such still work amazingly!

Miya — May 3, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

these were amazing!!! i even made them for me and my boyfriend 2 year anniversary!!!

Stephanie — May 8, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

they are simply amazing! now, I only have one question: let’s say I want to make a chocolate cupcake, or banana, or cinnamon, or whatever: do you have any idea what the measurements should be? (at least for the chocolate powder, anyway). thanks!

Becky — May 9, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

Seems like these would be great baked in a good toaster oven – if you have one. No heating up the whole kitchen, especially in summer. If you do that you could use custard cups or small ramekins.
    Can’t wait to try it!

Kelly — May 11, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Uhmazing! I have made them and different flavors as well as gluten free! So perfect and so good! :)

Delilah — May 16, 2012 @ 8:20 pm

Hey,is there a frosting for 2? cause I need a recipe for that.

victoria — May 25, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting for Two
    Adapted from Sweet Peony
    1/4 cup (1/2) stick unsalted butter, softened
    1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
    2-3 teaspoons water
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Selina — May 27, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

My first attempt is in the oven! I accidentally added 1 TBS of vanilla!! Whoops, we’ll see..

Aja — May 31, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Just made a red velvet version of this recipe and it is awesome!!! Thanks for the recipe!

• victoria 2 — September 25th, 2012 @ 8:26 am

how do you do that , i would locve to give it a try

Marisa — June 1, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

YUM! The cupcakes were light and fluffy. The vanilla buttercream frosting was a bit too sweet for me – I’m going to hunt out another less sweet frosting and scale it down. If anyone has any ideas for a less-sweet frosting to try, I’d love to know!

Sara — June 7, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

I made these last night and im a little confused. i did what it said and my batter seemed very runny and the cupcakes turend out very spongy. they were not “light and fluffy” like the other people say theirs were.

• brit — July 21st, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

Mine came out the same way…not good!

• cupcakedee — August 1st, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

Mine too…I did it twice and it came out spongy and the batter was very runny. Very disappointed.

• Nikki — August 6th, 2012 @ 1:03 am

I had some extra frosting left from a cake I made a few days ago and i found this recipe, so i decided to give it a try. But had the same problem as all of you, mine weren’t light and fluffy, they were spongy, dry and eggy.

• Katy — September 10th, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I made these and my batter was very runny and they tasted too eggy also.

haley — June 11, 2012 @ 12:42 am

My cupcakes didn’t turn out light and fluffy, why is this?

Michaela — June 13, 2012 @ 4:25 pm

I was literally in my room having a major cupcake craving when I remembered this article that I saw on Stumbleupon and voila! Two cupcakes were made. While I was waiting for them, I definitely did NOT take a spoon/finger to the bowl and scrape it. Oh no I did not ;).

They are so wonderful! Thanks so much for this :) Might be my new go to cupcake recipe….

M. — June 14, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

These are great! I think they’re a little too eggy – if I omit the eggs, what do I replace it with?

• Ann — June 21st, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

You might try applesauce. I seen that done before.

Ann — June 21, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

In the oven. Can’t wait to try them.

Vijaya — June 22, 2012 @ 1:32 am

Hiii just made cupcakes for 3 it looks awesome and snow white. thanks i always was wondering how to bake in small quantities..

Andrea — June 25, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Did this tonight and they came out very heavy, spongy and eggy. They didnt really have much flavor to them. My friend made them a few weeks ago and thought she had left something out, but after I made them tonight we agreed that they just werent good. I’m not sure what we are doing differently than everyone else commenting.

• lacey — January 7th, 2013 @ 7:25 pm

I had the same problem. I even tried to make them a second time just to make sure I didnt leave anything out. Both times they came out eggy and very heavy. Not a good cake.

Nicole — June 26, 2012 @ 2:24 am

Just made these. I love the idea of being able to make cupcakes for two and if I’m really craving some I might do this but they’re very very eggy, which was a little bit of a let down. :( I guess you can’t really use LESS egg since it’s already only one. lol I now understand though why my mom always said that you shouldn’t divide recipes when baking! :) Still, good enough to fulfill a cupcake craving!

• djewkes — July 18th, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

You can make them less eggy. I used the carton eggwhites and 3Tbs = 1 egg, so I reduced it to 2Tbs egg white and 1Tbs water. This made the cupcake very fluffy and not eggy. You do need to increase the baking time. I live at 8400ft so I have to adjust for altitude as well, so my times probably wouldn’t help. I suggest using a toothpick to judge when it’s done, not a timer.

Liva — June 26, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

Just wanted to ask that how much butter and icing sugar we will need to frost two cupcake!!

• kathryn bennett — August 14th, 2012 @ 4:08 am

1/4 cup (1/2) stick unsalted butter, softened
      1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

hope that helps you question :)

Michelle — June 27, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

So nice to have this on hand! I love to bake, but don’t want food to go to waste, so having the two servings is such a nice idea.

Annie — June 27, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

These look great and I tried them but mine came out very wrong (not a fluffy cake but more like a muffin). Now i did double the recipe (my family consists of four) so i doubled everything….was that my mistake?

Julia — June 28, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

I made them as you stated, but I had to bake them just a bit longer. No biggy, since obviously all of our ovens are all different. In the end, they’re awesome! I had some buttercream in the freezer that I drenched all over them. I had every intention of sharing them w/ my husband, I did. And then I didn’t. I ate them both.

Lauren — June 29, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

So I love this recipe because I hate making cupcakes and having them sit around.
    The ones I made came out soft but they were rather heavy and not really fluffy like you normally expect from cupcakes. Although I do admit I used margarine instead of actual butter. I’m assuming that’s what did it. What do you think?
    Also, does it matter what type of milk you use? I only have nonfat since that’s all I drink. I know it makes a difference when I bake bread so I wonder if it would make a difference here.
    Would love your thoughts!
    Thanks!

Stefanie — July 1, 2012 @ 2:46 am

I just made these tonight. Genius. They were super soft, fluffy and perfect. I also made 1/4 of the “white chocolate frostinng recipe” but used a bittersweet baking chocolate instead of white chocolate….. It tasted like fudge– sooo delicious. This recipe is definitely going to be made again in my kitchen. Thank you!

Also a note to Lauren: I used nonfat lactose free milk so I don’t think it matters what milk you use.

Paula's Plate — July 1, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

I just made these today and they were WONDERFUL! Mine took a little longer to bake, but they tasted incredible. Thank you so much for the great post. I blogged about it here:

Kristen — July 6, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Again, this is such a good idea! My sister’s birthday is this month…I’ll be trying this out! I found your blog on stumbleupon.com and two recipes came up in a row…interesting!

Kristen
    storiesfromthewillowtree.blogspot.com

christine — July 12, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Kristyn — July 16, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

I’m going to attempt to make these for my boyfriend tonight to cheer him up! Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa — August 1, 2012 @ 6:07 pm

Awesome idea and taste.
    I think these little things taste like pound cake. (lick smacking good)
    Thank you.

Kelly — August 5, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Thank you so very much! These were delicious and perfect for me an my husband. Not only did I have everything on hand; it was easy to clean up. Nom nom nom.

lindsey — August 8, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

the batter for me turned out kinda liquidy, they are in the oven so i dont know how thats gonna work out…but to victoria with the easy frosting recipie, LOVED IT! SOOOO Goood…(i might be overplaying it, but over all it was great…easy yummy, and good with these cupcakes!

Shielena — August 9, 2012 @ 12:46 am

You might be my hero.

I was thinking earlier yesterday that I’d like to make just a few & here you are!

I can’t wait to make them!

lola — August 9, 2012 @ 10:34 am

I did not like these. They were not awful…but not something that i would make again. I divided the batter into six mini cupcakes…so maybe that was my problem. I don’t know but they were not the best.

Emma — August 15, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Mine turned out eggy and gross. Also, I had to add 5 extra minutes to the cooking time. What did I do wrong??:(

Leah — August 17, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

These are perfect! but I did have to add about 5 minutes to cook time, though my oven often makes me do that cause its weird and old. I also halved the frosting recipe and still had too much. Question for frosters: is there a trick to making it thicker? I only added 2 tsp of water adn it still fell off the cold cupcakes.

• Melanie — September 22nd, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

when i need to make my icing thinker i just add a little more powdered sugar

Dani — August 29, 2012 @ 12:02 am

Just put my cupcakes in! i had a little accident and had forgotten to add the milk! so i had to take the cupcakes out (i had just placed them) and quickly add the milk! hoping to see these beauties raedy!!

Peggy — September 1, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

I just found this recipe today. It’s great
    I made a brown sugar frosting and it went perfectly with my two adorable cupcakes.
    Thanks

Jacklynn — September 10, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

I’ve made these a few times now and they are always really eggy so I used applesauce instead of the egg white this time (they are in the oven) hopefully this will do the trick :)

• Julia — September 28th, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

I’m having the same problem. How did the applesauce work for you?

orange — September 29, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

I’ve made these two times and they are good with a glace icing (confectioners sugar and boiling water.)
    Both times they tasted really dense and sweet!
    But yeah they were a little eggy. Which is expected since this is for two cupcakes. add less egg white don’t replace it

Daniela — October 6, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Hi i have a question can you make this same recipe but for three people?
    Im not sure what the measurements would be??
    Please Help…

• Alexandra — November 2nd, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

You’d have to use the measurements given the half the measuremnts to mae an extra lol..

inshi — October 25, 2012 @ 2:59 am

Can i make this using sweetner..

inshi — October 25, 2012 @ 3:01 am

Can imake this using sweetner

Alexandra — November 2, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

I tried the recipe two ways, using american tblsp (15mls) and australian tblsp (20mls) versus the same measurement of flour and milk and lets just say, using aus measurements the cakes turn out yellow and wierd and with american measurements, perfectly white! :D Im guessing thats because this website is american and so they use the american tblsp etc.

NIna — December 1, 2012 @ 12:46 am

Thank you so much for this! They came out perfect. I had to cook them for a few extra minutes in my oven but otherwise, the recipe is great. I was a little lazy so I used Nutella instead of making my own frosting. It was delicious! Can’t wait to try making variations!