This recipe has been a loooong time coming.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Like, it seems as if it has taken me forever to perfect it.

Note the dramatic-ness. Mr. How Sweet says I’m too dramatic. I can’t not share my dramaticness with you.
I’ve been attempting to make a red velvet brownie from scratch for months. It is quite the feat since red velvet isn’t technically “just chocolate” and isn’t just a chocolate cookie, cake or cupcake dyed red. True red velvet connoisseurs know that red velvet treats have just the slightest hint of cocoa. That’s what I finally mastered – a chewy, dense brownie with a hint of chocolate!

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

I adapted my oooey, gooey brownie recipe (also used for brownie cupcakes) for red velvet success – after about 30 failed attempts. And I added chocolate chips because, well… I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add additional chocolate and calories.
Or top it off with even more chocolate.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

That would be white chocolate buttercream.

That would be my livelihood.

That would be my soul in bowl.
Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

That would also be a surefire way to gain ten pounds.
You know how you guys always ask me what happens to my baked goods? Well, I’ll tell you what happened on Saturday. My brother, his girlfriend, and my cousin came over Saturday afternoon just as I was finishing up some baking. Which meant that within minutes, I plopped down two pans of chocolate chip cookie cinnamon rolls, a 9 x 13 baking dish full of pierogi casserole, and this big square of red velvet brownies… that were still warm. Can you spell GLUTTON FEST?

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Mr. How Sweet came home, and in true Mr. How Sweet fashion decided he was on a plain chicken, egg whites, and diet Coke diet. After about six hours of nagging, I convinced him to try a red velvet brownie, then I watched him promptly hit the floor in ecstasy. I’m such a good influence.
But I ended up giving the rest to my brother to take home the next day, because red velvet brownies aren’t exactly on the plain chicken and egg whites and diet Coke diet. Right?

Wrong. Mr. How Sweet had a mini tantrum that I gave said brownies away. That man gives me more mixed signals now than he did when we first met and he talked with his hands, wore only Dolce & Gabbana and knew more about fashion than I did.
He asked me to make the brownies again this weekend, so guess what I’m doing?

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

[print_this]

Red Velvet Brownies

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 tablespoons red food coloring

2/3 cups chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

Butter and flour an 8 x 8 cake pan.

In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, red food coloring, and 1 teaspoon vanilla to create a paste.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then add remaining teaspoon of vanilla. With the mixer on medium speed, add in cocoa powder mixture. Beat until batter is completely red. (If at this time your batter is NOT red, you can add a little more food coloring if desired. Color will depend on brand.) Add flour and salt, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spread in the 8 x 8 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
White Chocolate Frosting

1 stick of butter, at room temperature

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ounces white chocolate, melted (I used Lindt)

1-2 tablespoons milk (or more if needed)

Cream butter in an electric mixer until fluffy, then add vanilla. Slowly add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer on low speed. Add in melted white chocolate and beat until incorporated. To reach desired consistency, add in milk 1 teaspoon at a time with mixer on low speed. If frosting becomes too liquidy, simple add additional sugar.

[/print_this]

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Is it gluttony week around here or something? Sure seems like it.

315 Responses to “Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting.”

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — March 3, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Um…AMAZING! Also, we could eat that white chocolate frosting by the spoonful…it looks insanely fabulous! And yay for gluttony! We’re all for it…!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 3, 2011 @ 11:57 am

These look insanely good! I wish I had some right now to power through parent teacher conferences!

VeggieGirl — March 3, 2011 @ 11:59 am

My oh my oh my!! Let it be gluttony YEAR(s), please :D

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — March 3, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Those look so darn good! It’s like my two favorite chocolatey treats in one! :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 3, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

This is all so hilarious. And TRUE!

“That would be white chocolate buttercream.

That would be my livelihood.

That would be my soul in bowl.”

Oh girl. You outdid yourself…wonderful!

Erica — March 3, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

They’re beautiful. And the frosting looks so fluffy!! So is red velvet cake your favorite dessert (I know…pick a favorite dessert is impossible…so how about one of your most favorites??)

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

It actually probably isn’t even one of my favorites… I like it, but I love tiramisu and cheesecake and rich desserts more.

WenDee Riffe — March 3, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

Now thats what I am talkin’ bout!!!!!

Hannah — March 3, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

One of these days, I shall give into the urge I’ve been dreaming about and make a buttercream purely to eat it all with a spoon. One day.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 3, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

After making your red velvet cookies with white chocolate buttercream, I can’t imagine these wouldn’t be delicious! The brownies look great and I love that you have a super thick layer of icing!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 3, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

You have outdone yourself…again!!

Rachael — March 3, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

Since making those damn bacon cupcakes with the white chocolate ganche, I trust you with my life, those were epic. These brownies look like little squares of heaven.
    Question about the food coloring, did you use the gel based stuff or just your plain old fashioned red food dye in liquid form?

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I used the liquid. I think either can be used, it’s just going to depend on amounts. I suggest just adding a little at a time until desired color is reached. I have heard that adding too much can make it taste like chemicals, however I couldn’t taste anything like that and I grilled my recipe testers and they also said they couldn’t.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 3, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

You are unstoppable this week!! These look AMAZING!!!

Paula {JustABiteDesserts.com} — March 3, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

30 times until you got them right?! You are one devoted baker! These look and sound amazing! Can’t wait to try. :)

Blog is the New Black — March 3, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Every week is gluttony week in your house. These look wonderful!!! You amaze me.

Julie @ Shining From Within — March 3, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

YUM! Poor Mr. How Sweet.. He has it SO rough, right ? ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 3, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

You’re my hero. You have no idea the infatuation I have with red velvet ANYTHING!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 3, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

I think my mouth drops in awe and then drool slides out endlessly every time I open a post of yours.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — March 3, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Yum! That white chocolate buttercream sounds amazing! Did you experiment with any other types of frosting or did you know from the beginning how you wanted to frost it?

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

I didn’t, only because I’ve made frosting a million times and knew it would turn out. I didn’t decide on white chocolate until I perfected the brownie recipe. They would be delicious with cream cheese frosting, I just always have cream cheese with red velvet so I wanted to try something different!

• Molly — March 24th, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I made these this evening and instead of 4oz of white chocolate, I used 2 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2oz of cream cheese. Mmmmmmm they are so rich! Luckily for me I only ate 1/8 inch slices, which actually have NEGATIVE calories :-)

Blond Duck — March 3, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

This would be perfect for my friend’s b-day!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 3, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I love you, but I’m pretty sure that it’s a good thing we don’t live in the same state. My butt appreciates the distance. This looks amazing.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 3, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Reading this post just gave me a cavity. I have such a sweet tooth, love this!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 3, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

This looks awesome– AND, it’s so true! Red Velvet flavor is SO hard to nail down, but when you know it, you know it!

Cindy Coniglio — March 3, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Oh JESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS my mouth is WATERING!!!!!

Katrina — March 3, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

These look so awesome! I am PUMPED you took the time to perfect these. Awesome.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — March 3, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Wait? You thought I was European?

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 3, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

What an stellar recipe!! I’ve never had a red velvet brownie with white chocolate buttercream, but I can already tell that I’m going to love it!

kate@ahealthypassion — March 3, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

ive never had white chocolate buttercream but it sounds beyond amazing

Cara — March 3, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

I’m all about icing and that icing looks and sounds amazing! It is so fluffy!

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie — March 3, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Looks absolutely decadent! Love the layer of red velvet in there and the white frosting on top just makes it “pop!” I may have to make some of these this weekend! Woot!

Heather — March 3, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

if it is gluttony week i kind of don’t want it to stop…i never dreamed a red velvet brownie could be made and then my mind is blown!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — March 3, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

I’m all for red velvet brownies (in fact, I made my own a couple months ago!), but that white chocolate frosting is just… intriguing. In a weight-gaining kind of way.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 3, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Haha! Love the story about Mr How Sweet and his chicken, egg white and Diet Coke diet! I think you’re an excellent influence. :) And whenever I see anything red velvet now, I always think of you!

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 3, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

Other things generally tempt me more than red velvet anything, but I have to admit that these look incredible! That white chocolate buttercream did me IN!

BS Cooks — March 3, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I always look for wow factor when I go to pot lucks or other places where I share food! This looks amazing! I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post.

Beth — March 3, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. You managed to marry my favorite cake and my favorite dessert! I love you for real.

melissa@IWasBornToCook — March 3, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Did I just gain 10 pounds? YUM!

Heather — March 3, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Get outta town with this! Love it!

Krystina (Organically Me) — March 3, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

Hahahaha your marriage never ceases to make me laugh.

Gen — March 3, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Wow!!! These look amazing!! Also, my sister’s favorite cake is red velvet, and her birthday is coming up….might make these for her! =D

Erin — March 3, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

I love white chocolate. That frosting sounds amazing.

Amanda (Eating Up) — March 3, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

The buttercream just really tops it off (ha).

Anne @ Baking Me — March 3, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

I’ve never had white chocolate buttercream, it looks so good!

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries — March 3, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Oh.my.GOD. Thank you, thank you. These look amazing!

Kristen — March 3, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

they look delicious! and I was just wondering what you do with all your goodies (I dont know if I would be so nice as to give them away, though I would be 400 lbs haha)

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I usually 1/2 or 1/4 most things I make – the answer is in my FAQs!

• Kristen — March 3rd, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

good idea! now i need to print a lot of recipes! haha

brandi — March 3, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

those look perfect! love the white choc. buttercream – yum.

d.liff — March 3, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

OH MY G-D. THAT LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER. I can’t wait to find an excuse to make these!!!!!!!

Jessica H — March 3, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

What a coincidence! Just 5 days ago I made brownies with white chocolate buttercream! The brownie recipe was from King Arthur’s flour’s Deep-Dark Double Dutch Cocoa. Oh my goodness! I also added white chocolate chips.They were so good, I left a fork right in the pan!

Evan Thomas — March 3, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

It was worth the wait

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 3, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

I could seriously eat that frosting by the bowlful!

Corey @ the runner's cookie — March 3, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Haha, what a great story – I think Mr. How Sweet’s reaction to the brownies says it all. They look amazing, Jessica!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

2. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | The Healthy Apron

3. Pingback: Inspiration For Getting Back Into The Kitchen | Peonies&Cupcakes

4. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #35 – Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting « Ella Rose Entertaining

5. Pingback: PHAB Lifestyle » One Word

6. Pingback: » Snow Days = Happy Days

7. Pingback: One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: CookTeen » Blog Archive » Green Velvet Brownies for St. Patty’s Day

9. Pingback: Brownies for a bride-to-be « Fashionably Fit

18. Pingback: Gluten-free for the bride-to-be. | Danelle Bourgeois

19. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream

20. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting | justsocakey

21. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

22. Pingback: red velvet and that little boy’s smile | Adventures in Juggling

23. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

24. Pingback: Triple Layer Chocolate Chip-Fudge Brownie-Peanut Butter Blondie Bars . | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: red velvet and that little boy’s smile | Central Valley Moms

26. Pingback: Cupcakes pour Deux Recipe — Sugar Loco

27. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies | Pass The Sushi!

28. Pingback: Recipe | Red Velvet Brownies | Our Footprints…..

29. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies! « OneMomsTips

30. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies W/ White Chocolate Frosting!! « clnprint

31. Pingback: whoopsie daisies |

32. Pingback: Peanut Butter Fudge Pretzel Brownies | How Sweet It Is

33. Pingback: RecipeLab » Red velvet brownies with white chocolate frosting

34. Pingback: Up, Up,and Away | Run, Rant, Realize

35. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream

36. Pingback: Frosted Pumpkin Cake | Plum Adorable

37. Pingback: This Weeks Delish: July 2, 2011

38. Pingback: Crazy for Crust: Red Velvet Brownie Pie {#LovethePie}

39. Pingback: Holiday Giveaway! | BittersweetBrooke

40. Pingback: The Baker’s Touch « savourytraveller

41. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownie Truffles | theSheenBean

42. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies «

43. Pingback: red velvet brownies with white chocolate frosting | finding a new life through food.

44. Pingback: double chocolate raspberry layer cake. | A Periodic Table

45. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownies

46. Pingback: Alexandra Joy’s Red Velvet Brownies | De Ma Cuisine

47. Pingback: mexican pizza + sweet tooth « This is for Real

48. Pingback: valentine’s « This is for Real

49. Pingback: Red Velvet S'mores Brownies | How Sweet It Is

50. Pingback: “You’ve got dirt on your head” Wednesday & Double Chocolate Pomegranate Cupcakes