I have a slight basil obsession going on right now.

As you can imagine, it is quite an expensive obsession considering basil is not in season at the moment. But would you expect anything less from me? Plus, the mangos have been on sale for two weeks. Cheap mangos make up for expensive basil.

Initially, I was going to make a batch of kiwi mango salsa. But then I started thinking about the strawberries in my fridge and was reminded of how delicious the quick mango salsa that I chopped for the shrimp tacos was. We’ve only eaten those shrimp tacos six times in the last two weeks. No big deal.

The strawberries were calling my name. I couldn’t help it. They just smell so sweet!

I’m a bit enamored with strawberries too… in case you didn’t notice.

I love the strawberries and basil separately, but right now I can’t get over how delicious they are when combined. They were destined for salsa.

The fun part? You can serve this as a layered salsa or mix it up. I chose to mix mine up because I wanted to get a taste of everything with each bite. Which wasn’t hard at all since I ate most of it with a spoon.

I made a big batch with intentions to have it to snack on throughout the week. Pita chips obviously came to mind, but so did caramelized tilapia and mozzarella salads and even more shrimp tacos. Then we tasted the salsa. Not a smart move. Or maybe a really smart move? Either way, we have no leftovers. It was delicious. And now I’m sad. And broke. And I need more basil.

Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa

makes about 2 cups

3/4 cup chopped mango

3/4 cup chopped strawberries

1/4 cup chopped red onion

6 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix, or simply later ingredients in a bowl. Tastes even better after it sits for a few hours! Salsa should stay fresh in the fridge (in a sealed container) for about one week.

Would you like to donate to the How Sweet basil fund? I’m sure Mr. How Sweet would appreciate it.

158 Responses to “Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa.”

Mario — March 28, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Hi Jessica! Your salsa is sooo colorful! I love all these salsas with fruit and artistry and new flavors. Awesome! I’m a friend from FB. Just wanted to stop by, say hi and drool. Thanks

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Thanks Mario! :)

kate@ahealthypassion — March 28, 2011 @ 10:48 am

I love strawberries and basil together they complement one another so well this salsa looks amazing so summery!

food-4tots — March 28, 2011 @ 10:51 am

The salsa looks so eye-catching!! The combi is so healthy and delish too! I bet my son would devour it. ;)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 28, 2011 @ 10:58 am

I have a current obsession with mango. Basil’s always good too. So are strawberries. Why did I not plan a meal where this would work this week?

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

It’s still early. I think you can fit it in. ;)

Jess — March 28, 2011 @ 11:03 am

i have a mango obsession lately, so this is right up my alley. i bet lime juice would be a nice addition too. now how about avocado? too much?

Feast on the Cheap — March 28, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Mango salsa is my all-time fave, so I have to try this revamped version!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — March 28, 2011 @ 11:16 am

By some miracle, my husband has managed to keep our basil plant alive in a pot for almost a year now! He even had it ride in the front seat (with a seatbelt on of course) during our recent move, but he said it wasn’t much of a conversationalist, lol!

This looks great! Did you eat it with savory chips or cinnamon sugar? I’m sure either way would be delish!

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I am jealous!!
      I actually ate it with savory chips, but cinnamon sugar would work too. I usually eat all fruit salsa with cinnamon ones, but thought this had more of a savory bite.

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls — March 28, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Oh my! This is perfect. LOVE all the fruit! Wonderrrrful for summer!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City — March 28, 2011 @ 11:37 am

This is such a great summer salsa! I am all about feeling summery today, even though it’s pretty cold here in New York City. I think I might go home and make your salsa as an appetizer (or just a snack!) Thanks for the post!

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Let me know if you try it!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — March 28, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Oh my. This sounds amazing – and my mom does have a basil plant that needs to be trimmed back a bit. Since she’s in Mexico I may just have to help her out there. :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 28, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

I love this salsa! So pretty and colorful. I know it’s not just me… when the colors and textures look so inviting, you just can’t stop eating it! Esp if it involves out of this world fruits like mango and strawberries.

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Very true!

Katie — March 28, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

I’ve been hunting for snacky recipes to make for a friend’s bridal shower and this. looks. fantastic. So, so glad you posted this!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 28, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Great salsa combo! I’ve never made a fruit salsa before, but I have a bag of baked multigrain chips calling my name & I think this salsa would be the perfect dip.

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I agree!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — March 28, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

It’s so pretty!

EatLiveRun — March 28, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

love all those bright colors! I want to top grilled salmon with this!

Katie — March 28, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

I have an obsession with basil year around, it just smells so good! We tried to plant some in our garden last year and the dog ate it. I was furious.

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

We don’t have the best place to plant it either. I am going to try to grow it inside!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 28, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

that salsa, should be in my frig right now. Looks bomb!

megan — March 28, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

It’s like a bowl of Spring. I want some on a fish taco.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 28, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

This looks like warm weather in a bowl. I love it! And I want some now. Please.

Lauren — March 28, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Jessica, this looks AMAZING!!
    Do you have any low-low-low maintenance/no-touch recipes in your stash? I sliced my right thumb slicing potatoes for some enchiladas and am now pretty much a hand down in my kitchen… I can’t give it up but will be in an ugly, cumbersome bandage for 3-5 weeks!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — March 28, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

That sounds awesome. I love basil, especially in the summertime…we’re getting so close!! You can actually grow it in your garden too!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt — March 28, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Wow! This looks SO good. I realllly need to buy mangos soon!

Nicole, RD — March 28, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

That is so colorful and beautiful! Looks DELICIOUS!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 28, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

mmmm so refreshing!! I can see how this would be an awesome combo.

Allison — March 28, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Oooh the combination of strawberries and basil is just heavenly. I would have never thought to combine them with the mango for a salsa! Looks amazing. And I too do not like the expensive basil situation. I would put basil on almost everything if I could, haha. I’m hoping it’s successful in my garden this year so that I don’t have to continue to spend a small fortune on it.

Chelsey (Cookteen) — March 28, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

I am having the biggest basil obsession lately too! It’s been on sandwiches, wraps and simply a slice of fresh bread, butter and topped with basil…mhmm!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — March 28, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Holy mangoes! I never would have thought to mix all those ingredients together. Thanks, Jessica!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — March 28, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

Have you ever had a strawberry-basil martini? Life changing. You should probably either make or go find a bar that makes them like, right now. It’s 5:00 there, right?

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 28, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

This looks so fresh, bright, and delicious! Yumm :)

Madeleine — March 28, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

OMG. That looks amazing. I love mango salsa, never thought of adding strawberries to it.

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — March 28, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Love basil! I’ve paired basil and strawberries together but never tried it with mangoes. This is definitely a winner. I’m book marking this recipe! Yummy!

Laura — March 28, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Jessica you should buy a basil plant! They’re probably the best thing, and they’ll save you lots!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 28, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Mmmm…I am a mango maniac! This looks wonderful! I try to grow my own basil so I always have it around but I have already killed about 4 plants :(. I think I have a basil curse.

Parita @ myinnershakti — March 28, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

What a beautiful salsa! And it’s all my favorite foods in one bowl. :) Great idea!

Cara Craves... — March 28, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

I love the flavour combination here!

Have you tried growing your own basil?
    Growing herbs can be a pain though.

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

No, I need to do that this year!

Melissa — March 28, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

How good is basil?!?! I am obsessed. If I have to be obsessed with an herb, basil’s where it’s at!

And how sweet that you added in that this will stay fresh for a week. I’m quite certain that it will be gone within the hour of me making it–just for myself, of course! ;)

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

Tell me about it! That’s how long it lasted here.

Candace — March 28, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

Omygoodness! I can only imagine how wonderful this tastes. I make a mango salsa with cilantro; but, I have never used strawberries or basil. That is inspired! This is a definite “must-try”. Thanks!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey — March 28, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Holy yummm! I love salsa, and when it has mango in it I love it even more. :)

Frances — March 29, 2011 @ 1:53 am

LOVE those colors! This looks ridiculously good!!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — March 29, 2011 @ 7:38 am

This looks so fresh and beautiful, I can almost smell those berries! I’ve bookmarked this page so I can make this as soon as this cold weather passes here in New Jersey and the strawberries come out.

Kate — March 29, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This screams Summer time!

What would you think about subsituting mint for the basil?
    I am a mint freak and love Stawberries and mint. Just not sure how I would feel about it with the mango…

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Already thought about it because I’m a mint freak too. I think it would be incredible! But I love it with everything.

Kelly — March 29, 2011 @ 11:56 am

This sounds so yummy. I don’t have any mango, but I do have some leftover strawberries hanging around. And basil. Hmmmm…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 29, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

This looks so good! Basil grows like a weed in my garden in the summer… I just have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit.

Tracy — March 29, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Ah, heavenly! I too am in love with fresh basil…I am counting down the days until our CSA starts up again so I can have it every week!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — March 29, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

How awesome, it looks beautiful too! I love the colors! You should grow your own basil, much cheaper :)

Happy When Not Hungry — March 29, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

This looks delicious and so fresh! Love the colors too!

Mo'Betta — March 29, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

This sounds AMAZING!! I’m bookmarking (yet another) one of your recipes :) btw, I made the cake batter pancakes for my daughter’s 10th birthday last week. I got the ‘best-mom-ever’ award.

Danielle — March 30, 2011 @ 1:53 am

What an amazing an original combination!!!! love basil, cannot wait to try this!

Elle — March 30, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

What an unexpected but great combo of flavors! I could also eat it up with a spoon.

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 31, 2011 @ 8:35 am

I love basil so much but don’t have any at the moment…just made this with cilantro and it’s wonderful! Can’t wait to eat it later today once the flavors have married. Woo hoo!

• Jessica — March 31st, 2011 @ 8:50 am