I have a slight basil obsession going on right now.

As you can imagine, it is quite an expensive obsession considering basil is not in season at the moment. But would you expect anything less from me? Plus, the mangos have been on sale for two weeks. Cheap mangos make up for expensive basil.

Initially, I was going to make a batch of kiwi mango salsa. But then I started thinking about the strawberries in my fridge and was reminded of how delicious the quick mango salsa that I chopped for the shrimp tacos was. We’ve only eaten those shrimp tacos six times in the last two weeks. No big deal.

The strawberries were calling my name. I couldn’t help it. They just smell so sweet!

I’m a bit enamored with strawberries too… in case you didn’t notice.

I love the strawberries and basil separately, but right now I can’t get over how delicious they are when combined. They were destined for salsa.

The fun part? You can serve this as a layered salsa or mix it up. I chose to mix mine up because I wanted to get a taste of everything with each bite. Which wasn’t hard at all since I ate most of it with a spoon.

I made a big batch with intentions to have it to snack on throughout the week. Pita chips obviously came to mind, but so did caramelized tilapia and mozzarella salads and even more shrimp tacos. Then we tasted the salsa. Not a smart move. Or maybe a really smart move? Either way, we have no leftovers. It was delicious. And now I’m sad. And broke. And I need more basil.

Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa

makes about 2 cups

3/4 cup chopped mango

3/4 cup chopped strawberries

1/4 cup chopped red onion

6 fresh basil leaves, chopped

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix, or simply later ingredients in a bowl. Tastes even better after it sits for a few hours! Salsa should stay fresh in the fridge (in a sealed container) for about one week.

Would you like to donate to the How Sweet basil fund? I’m sure Mr. How Sweet would appreciate it.

157 Responses to “Strawberry Mango Basil Salsa.”

Maranda — March 31, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

This sounds fantastic! And the perfect flavor combo. Strawberries are my favorite fruit…and basil is my favorite herb. I’ve recently discovered how great mango is. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Dittlinger — April 1, 2011 @ 11:05 am

I’ve totally going to try this… I’ll leave out the lemon juice and sub in 1/4 cup of whey. Leave out on the counter for 3-4 days to ferment. This will add healthy probioitics (like yogurt) and keep it preserved once you put in the fridge for months. What a tasty sounding salsa!!! Thanks for the recipe, glad I stumbled upon it!

Madison — April 1, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

I made this the other night for tilapia tacos and it was out of this world! So, so, SO good! However, when I went to eat it the next day after work, I felt it got a little onion-y after sitting for a day… by chance, did this happen to you? Regardless, fantastic recipe–it went so well with the tacos!

• Jessica — April 1st, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Well, we ate the entire thing in one day so I can’t answer that! Hahahah. Maybe decrease the onion next time?? Or add a little sugar?

Natalie Boenker — April 1, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

GORGEOUS and so tasty…mine is “marinating” up in the fridge right now! I used pineapple instead of mangos but man does it taste so light and fresh! Thanks always for the great recipes!

• Jessica — April 1st, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

PIneapple sounds incredible!

Aileen — April 3, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Thanks for the recipe! It was a hit at a party this weekend.

Amanda Dittlinger — April 3, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

Well I got all the ingredients and put this together tonight. I can’t wait to try it! I plan on serving it over pan seared tilapia later this week. Like I said, I modified the recipe to use whey instead of lemon juice so that it can lacto-ferment. Thanks for a great recipe! http://thefrickinchicken.blogspot.com/2011/04/lacto-fermented-strawberry-mango-salsa.html

Kendall — April 4, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Oh, heavens. I’ll be making this one night this week! Got all the goods for it this weekend :)

Karen — April 8, 2011 @ 10:42 am

I made this last night and served with flounder that I marinated. Yummo! Thanks again!

sophistimom — April 19, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

What a beautiful salsa. I’ve made sweet salsa before with strawberries, but never a savory one.

Kari — May 14, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I really love this salsa. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and salty and tastes wonderful on reduced fat wheat thins :D. Going to go lay out next to the pool…snack on this salsa and enjoy a glass of delicious Southern Sweet Tea!

Amy — June 27, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

This is fabulous with berry poppy seed crackers! Couldn’t stop eating it!

shyne — March 19, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

delicious :)

Melody — March 22, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

i’m gonna try this tonight with mahi mahi and some yogurt chipotle sauce. oh the excitement is killing me.

Sanne — August 20, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

I really really really can’t wait to make this myself

Shelley — September 8, 2012 @ 9:19 am

Hi Jess!
    If I were making this as an appetizer for a dinner party of about 6 tonight, do you think doubling the recipe would be enough?
    Thanks!

Angela — September 20, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

I made this with an addition of avocado. It was divine!

Nathan — December 21, 2012 @ 6:18 am

Hi there….just saw your blog link and wanted to pop by and say HI:)Cute blog..Love the posts….Im your neswet follower:).I love soup, all kids of soup and yours looks fab!!PS….great plaid jacket in teh post below:)Stop by and say Hello

Maria — March 14, 2013 @ 1:10 pm

LOVED this…Made it for a girls night. I added avacado and Jalapeno and a “splash” or seven of white wine. D.E.L.I.S.H!
    Thanks for all your YUM O fruit salsas.

Erin — June 2, 2013 @ 10:37 am

This is very tasty and addicting, which is okay since it’s so healthy! I doubled the recipe (was anticipating the goodness!) and added some lemon zest, 1T of EVOO, and 1 minced jalapeño. Served with pita chips.