Veggies!

Excuse me while I run and hide.

Oh, hello there cream. I’ll come back since I love you.

Wednesday I received a text message from Mr. How Sweet. It read, “Do you know what sounds good to me? Stuffed peppers made with ground turkey over mashed potatoes.”

I thought it sounded pretty good too. Except I’ve only made stuffed peppers once, and I used a combination of ground pork and ground beef. Um… best stuffed peppers ever. I asked if he wanted the pork/beef mixture instead of turkey, and he replied with, “No. We eat too much red meat.”

Come again?

What is this “we” business? “We” do not eat too much red meat. I may eat red meat once or twice a month. And since when does Mr. How Sweet care about how much red meat he is eating? Last time I checked, he wanted a porterhouse on Sundays, burgers on Mondays, meatloaf of Wednesdays and filet on Fridays.

It must be a phase.
Regardless, when I went to pick up the ingredients, I spotted ground chicken breast. Chicken it was! Even if it meant I had to get down and dirty with some veggies.
Well, this guy is sort of cute.

Kinda makes me want to rethink my stance on veggies?

[print_this]

Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce

makes 4 peppers

4 red, green, orange or yellow peppers

1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast

1/2 onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

3/4 cup parmesan cheese

1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce (I used Red Pack)

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Set aside.

In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onion, sauteing until soft – about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 minced garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute. Season ground chicken breast with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet to brown. All chicken to cook completely – it should take about 10-12 minutes to brown. Stir occasionally.

While chicken is cooking, mix the tomato sauce with the heavy cream and remaining garlic clove and heat it over low heat. Stir in almost all of the fresh basil, reserving some for garnish.

Stir brown rice and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese into chicken mixture, then add about 1/2 cup of tomato cream sauce in mixing to coat. Turn off heat. Divine the mixture evenly between the four peppers, stuffing them to the top. Place in a dish that allows the peppers to stand. Spoon a bit of tomato cream sauce over the tops, and pour the rest of the sauce into the bottom of the pan. Set the tops gently back on the peppers. Bake for 20 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for 30 more. Serve with more parmesan cheese and basil to garnish, with mashed potatoes on the side.

[/print_this]

Break out your stretchy pants… gluttony week continues tomorrow.

124 Responses to “Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce.”

Marisa @ Loser for Life — March 4, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Oops, I was looking for Jessica’s blog…you know the one with brownies and cakes. All I got was this veggie stuff. I’m out, BYE!!! ;)

Looks great, J and I don’t even LIKE stuffed peppers!

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

I never did either! That’s why this is only the second time I’ve made them. But these were really good!

Riss — March 4, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

Yuuuummm… I have a few bell peppers in my fridge that are just begging to be stuffed!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 4, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

How fun and delicious!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 4, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

We love stuffed peppers! I love the tomato cream sauce addition :)
    Looks delicious :)

Julie @ Shining From Within — March 4, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Yuuum. I dont eat meat but maybe I could try using browm rice as the stuffing!?

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Of course! You could use just the brown rice mix that is in the recipe (maybe double it?) or even use orzo and some extra veggies.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 4, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I don’t think this is gluttony week – I think it’s gluttony year. I’m okay with it. I’ve always done some kind of marinara sauce with my stuffed peppers, but I’m loving the basil cream sauce. Although, my “cream” sauce isn’t even cream. I’m glad you still love me.

Vanessa — March 4, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I LOVE stuffed peppers!! I usually do a basic tomato sauce, but I am loving the whole basil and cream addition.

Cara — March 4, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Yum! I haven’t had stuffed peppers in ages! I am thinking that is going to have to change soon with this recipe!

Blog is the New Black — March 4, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

I love stuffed peppers! These look great!

Kim in MD — March 4, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

I spy veggies….yeah! All I can say is- YUM! I love that you use chicken or turkey instead of beef, too!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — March 4, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

I LOVE stuffed peppers…but I especially love how you added the cream sauce. Yum!

PS: Please don’t rethink your stance on veggies – it might make me feel guilty for mine :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 4, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

These look SOOOOOO good! These are right up my alley!

Hannah — March 4, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Oh, how I wish I could be a fly on the wall during some of your conversations with Mr. HSE. There’s clearly so much laughter and love involved :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — March 4, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I think the cream makes that dish…yum!!! :)

Katrina — March 4, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

The tomato basil cream sauce sounds amazing! I could just go for it on pasta as well. Yum!

Jeanette — March 4, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

The filling in this stuffed pepper dish sounds absolutely delicious (I’d have to skip the heavy cream though).

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 4, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

I haven’t had stuffed peppers in WAY too long.. might have to bust them out this weekend! And yes, stretchy pants will be at the ready for whatever’s in store for tomorrow :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 4, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Wow, these look great! I love Mr. How Sweet’s finicky food phases.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 4, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

What? No frosting? No sprinkles? No chocolate? Oh my! :) Looks delicious.

shannon — March 4, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

If I hadn’t seen Cream Sauce in the title…

I don’t like green peppers but I like orange and red, so this is do-able. Actually, with cream sauce, I might even eat a green pepper. MIGHT.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — March 4, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Wow these turned out awesome Jessica!!! I haven’t made stuffed peppers in ages. I might have to give it a try soon!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 4, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Mr. How Sweet cracks me up! My husband is the same way, though. One minute he wants to be healthy, the next minute he is asking for me to make him a cake.

Heather — March 4, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

i never thought i’d be excited about trying stuffed peppers…but i kind of am. only because yours look so pretty!

Erica — March 4, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

This dish makes me wish Josh liked peppers! I usually just stuff an alternative veggie for him when I make peppers…like squash or potatoes :) I love that your husband requests certain dishes :)

Camille — March 4, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

For a second I thought I was on the wrong blog. Regardless, these look delicious!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — March 4, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I’ve never made real stuffed peppers with meat. I make mine with rice and feta. I love your addition of basil cream sauce. Yum!

Jenna — March 4, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

My husband loves stuffed peppers. Print. Another one of your recipes I’m making soon!

Jenny — March 4, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

I absolutely love stuffed peppers! This recipe looks great, and simple!

LeAnn — March 4, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Your blog is my favorite!! I check it first thing when I wake up so thanks for making my day! These bell peppers look delicious cant wait to try them. And cant wait for more pancake recipes.

Gen — March 4, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

Those look deelish! Another awesome recipe.

rebecca lustig — March 4, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I love stuffed anything! Really soaks up flavors… plus you get to eat the ‘bowl’… less dishes ;) hah

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 4, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I recently shot a recipe for stuffed peppers – did not have that tomato basil cream sauce though. YUM!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 4, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

I love stuffed peppers! These are absolutely beautiful!

Gaby — March 4, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

umm tomato basil cream sauce is my life. I am obsessed!

Briana — March 4, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

This looks so delicious! I woudl have never thought to put a tomato basil cream sauce over them! The only stuffed peppers I have ever had were flavored with mexican spices! I cannot wait to try this!

Melissa — March 4, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Awe, the little hat on your pepper is kinda precious. I’m not usually a big stuffed pepper gal, but I might be able to try this.

Also, Mr. How Sweet is clearly having an off week. Maybe this is his way of getting back at you for giving away the Red Velvet Brownies–just messin’ with ya, right? ;)

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Probably!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — March 4, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

mmmmmmm! This sounds bowl and fingerlicking good! =)

Though I would hate to have to do the dishes! The last time I attempted a tomato dish I wound up using every pot and appliance I owned and then cried until my hubs volunteered to help clean.

um… maybe I should “cry” more often? like nightly? haha oops!

have a great weekend jess!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Hahah! I don’t like tomato sauce that much, so I rarely cook things with it. But I agree! Cleaning is awful. I just don’t do it.

Jess — March 4, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

i can’t even remember the last time i had stuffed peppers, i think my mom made them for us in the 80s and we turned our noses up at them. silly kids right? i want to try these, and may try a veggie version with black beans…

Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen — March 4, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Oh I love stuffed peppers!!! Mmmm…I bet the tomato basil cream sauce sounds amazing! Can’t wait to give these a try! :)

Jenn @ Frost Bites — March 4, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Luv stuffed peppers. Love all the colors, too!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — March 4, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Hahah my hubby will say things like that, and then the next day he’s like…give me beef!!

vanillasugarblog — March 4, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

now that sounds gooood!

Kacy — March 4, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Gah, that looks better than pretty much anything I’ve ever gotten at a restaurant. You’ve got skills.

Rachel — March 4, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

These look great!

Elle — March 4, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Wow, those look amazing! Never thought of having them over mashed potatoes, but it seems so right…

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

I didn’t either! It was all my husbands idea.

• Elle — March 4th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Well, really good thinking on his part-and now, I don’t think I could have them w/out potatoes! It seems perfect.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — March 4, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

I just made stuffed peppers for the first time on Valentine’s Day. I loved how they came out. I may have to try your combination. Sounds delicious.

Anne @ Baking Me — March 4, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

My mom made stuffed peppers a lot when I was a kid. She makes them with green peppers and ground beef. I love the incorporation of the orange peppers and the ground turkey (since I don’t eat beef and I am not a huge fan of green peppers). This looks like a great twist on an old classic!

maria — March 4, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

these look really good! I love stuffed peppers. I’ve always made them with beef, but ground chicken sounds amazing.

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 4, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

these look great! But knowing me, I’d eat the stuffing and even drink that sauce (yes I said DRINK the sauce) but I wouldn’t eat the bell peppers. I’m like you with veggies…don’t like ‘em too much.

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free — March 4, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

Ohhh wow I loveee stuffed peppers, but that cream sauce must take them over the top! YUUUM

1. Pingback: Layers of Flavor | Heather Bakes

2. Pingback: Stuffed peppers. « Cooking Bytes – A journey of a cookbook

3. Pingback: Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Basil and Gost Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza « Toxic Zombie Ashes

5. Pingback: Yea America | Heather Bakes

6. Pingback: Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce – Sprinkle Joy.

7. Pingback: TRADITIONAL July 2011 OAMM Menu from Once a Month Mom | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

8. Pingback: Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce « Just the Tip

9. Pingback: Stuffed Peppers « Tasty Retreat

10. Pingback: 2 truths and a lie « one many extras

11. Pingback: Two Truths & a Lie « one many extras

12. Pingback: Stocking Up | Heather Bakes

13. Pingback: Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce | Home Recipes Catalog

14. Pingback: [currently] What I’m Loving | Charla Feliz