We had some really wacky weather yesterday. I have never seen hail this size!

Then later in the night, it looked like this.

Weird.

Since it was my last evening of being a single girl (Mr. How Sweet was away on business), I wanted to make something that I knew he wouldn’t eat. I’ve been dying to try pasta carbonara for some time now, but have hesitated making it because I knew I’d have to add meat so my other half would be happy. I don’t doubt that it would still be delicious with chicken, but I wanted the traditional, authentic experience. My Twitter friends confirmed that I’d love it.

And love it I did. I don’t even really have words.

But I do have one question: why in the world did I wait so long? Oh, and I’m also curious about something else: for someone who isn’t Italian whatsoever, and who has disliked Italian food her entire life… I sure am cooking a lot of it lately.

After my dinner, I watched It’s Complicated for the 8000th time. I love that movie. I want to live inside that movie. Somewhere on a plane, Mr. How Sweet is rolling his eyes.

76 Responses to “What I Ate For Dinner Last Night.”

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 24, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Hooray! It’s so fun to discover a new dish that you absolutely love.

I love any movie with Meryl Streep. She rules.

• Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 24th, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Nutty weather! Hopefully no hail will come to DC! It sure is cold out though. booo :(

Stacy @ Every Little Thing — March 24, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

I have pasta carbonara on my list of “to-makes” – it looks great!

Hope your enjoyed your single time :)

Amanda — March 24, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

That is a great movie! I feel that way about The Family Stone. Even though it’s filled with drama, tears and snow…I’d love to snuggle with that sweet(ish) fam.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

Oh I love that movie too!!

Stephanie — March 24, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

We had hail the other night too! Hail just weirds me out!!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me — March 24, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Hail makes me think tornado’s and then I get scurred. :(

I LOVE carbonara. It is so damn good but so fattening. Normally I just throw caution to the wind and eat it anyway if it’s a choice. MmmM!

NancyC — March 24, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

Probably my favorite pasta dish – it’s neck and neck with bucatini amitriciana.

Jenny D. — March 24, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Oh my gosh, I had no idea you were in Pittsburgh until I saw the saw the hail pictures and read your bio. We are almost neighbors! That hail was crazy! I feel bad for the Greensburg people who had so much damage to their homes.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

I actually live right by Greensburg! A few miles away.

• Jenny D. — March 24th, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Me to! I am in Latrobe. What time is dinner?!!! : )

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 24, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Looks divine. And I love “It’s Complicated”!

Sara — March 24, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

My husband is going to be at a conference all next week also and I would love to make this–plan to post the recipe? I hope you do!

And I agree, “It’s Complicated” is such an awesome video and I wish I could have a bakery of my own like Meryl did in the movie. Gorgeous :)

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

I will post it! And that is actually my dream too – one EXACTLY like it.

Erin — March 24, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Glad you liked it!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking — March 24, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

Pasta carbonara is my FAAAVE! Love it so much.

Jen of My Tiny Oven — March 24, 2011 @ 3:00 pm

OMG this look so amazing! I have been dying to try this dish forever too! I hope you post the recipe so I can give it a whirl!
    YUM!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

I will!!

• Jenny — March 25th, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Yes recipe please! That looks AMAZING! But all of your recipes do :)

Kristina @ spabettie — March 24, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

haaa!! I make this when Jason is out of town too – he cannot stand the idea of the egg in pasta.

Holly — March 24, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Ahhh! That’s one of my favorite movies too! Craig thinks I’m nuts because every.single.time it’s on..I’m watching it- he just laughs. :) That movie..and Something’s Gotta Give- just LOVE Jack Nicheolson.

Allison — March 24, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

That’s so funny, I’ve always wanted to make pasta carbonara as well, but I’ve never done it! This looks absolutely amazing though. I must give it a go!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — March 24, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

I’ve never seen hail like that in real life. Crazy!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

I never had either!

VeggieGirl — March 24, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

May I come over for dinner next time? :D

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Please do!

chelsea — March 24, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

That looks so delicious! I would love to know what recipe you used! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 24, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

I always make the dishes my husband doesn’t like when he’s away. I also make things that he pigs out on so I can hoard them all to myself ;-)

Heidi — March 24, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Omg, that looks so delicious!
    Oh and I love that movie too. Not really my kind of movie but I decided to watch it one day and when it was over I wanted to watch it again. Awesome!

Sara P — March 24, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

I love that movie….as well as the Holiday! I love Nancy Meyers films!!! Sooo cute!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Love that one too!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 24, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

The snow looks like goat cheese crumbles!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Hahahaha it does!

Mama Pea — March 24, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

If he watches WWE, I think it’s only fair you get Meryl Streep movies.

Jessica — March 24, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Please post the recipe!!!!!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

I will!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — March 24, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Hmmmm…that looks delicious! I’ve never had a huge affection for carbonara, but maybe I just haven’t had the right recipe.

Christina — March 24, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

That looks so good. I’ve wanted to try carbonara for some time now too!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 24, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

I could only imagine you loving carbonara. Seriously bacon, cheese, pasta and egg. Yum! I’ve only had it once in my life and need it again!

Can’t believe i’ve never seen it’s complicated. Must. Watch.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

You must!

Jessica — March 24, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Pasta carbonara is sooo good but every time I eat it I get so thirsty from the cheese & bacon I chug like 20 gallons of water which just adds to the fullness of over-indulging. Just in case you were wondering…

I’ve never seen It’s Complicated but it’s on HBO like every day…must DVR & check it out…

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

I must eat so much cheese and bacon that now immune to the thirst. ;)

Jen — March 24, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

I’ve wanted to make spaghetti carbonara ever since seeing Jenna post it on ELR. It looks amazing! And about having to add meat to dishes in order to please your man…I’m in the same boat. A lot of meals I would normally eat vegetarian, I add chicken to for him. Ohhh, men.

Meg — March 24, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Mmm going to have to try that recipe the next time I’m alone for dinner and a movie :D Looks and sounds amazing!

We had hail here lastnight as well…Mother Nature is crazeballs.

Kim in MD — March 24, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Of course you would love carbonara…it has BACON! I love it, too! You could add a grilled chicken breast (or two) on the side for Mr. How Sweet! :-)

Erin — March 24, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

What a perfect evening! I’m actually a little sad my SO is on his way home now. Just a little.
    I also had hail! It was awful and knocked out the power for almost a whole day.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

I hear ya. I like when he is away! Gives me some time to do what I want and relax.

Kristy — March 24, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Isn’t it so good for something so simple? The first time I made it I made it for breakfast and called it bacon n egg breakfast pasta….because I didn’t even know it was called carbonara. I just saw it on tv. But it was the best breakfast ever. And now I make it for dinner when I’m a single lady and the hubby is out of town for work too!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

It is SO good!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 24, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

That hail is crazy! :o

I love spaghetti carbonara. I add spinach to it, kick it up a few health notches. I love it with runny egg yolk on top!

Kristi — March 24, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

I love pasta carbonara!

Karly — March 24, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

I’ve never tried it either, but it’s been on my mind a lot lately. You may have just convinced me to go for it.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — March 24, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

What is up with this crazy weather, that hail is ginormous?!

Okay I have to tell you, two nights ago I had my first experience cooking pork belly and I must tell you that it was amazingggg. Since you have such a love for bacon I had to share because I definitely think you would love it too (it’s basically bacon, before it becomes bacon)! Plus you could probably come up with like 392 amazing recipes too… ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 24, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

Gorgeous pasta. I am coming over for leftovers!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — March 25, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I totally identify with you – when my husband is away, I try to make all the dishes I never make because he doesn’t like eggplant, anchovies, goat cheese (the list goes on). Beautiful photos.

Kelly — March 25, 2011 @ 8:25 am

That looks really amazing! Sometimes the simpliest things taste the best!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — March 25, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I have been wanting to make carbonara for a while as well – not sure why I haven’t yet, but this post has given my the kick in the butt I needed! Looking forward to the recipe.

I also make food that my hubs wouldn’t like when he’s away on business. It’s the one aspect of him traveling that I look forward to. Okay, and maybe being able to sleep diagonally in the middle of the bed. That too.

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 8:31 am

That’s the best part!!

Jackie — March 25, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Hello Jessica,

I love your blog. I stumbled upon it a couple of days ago when someone retweeted your 2 cupcake recipe – which I plan to make this weekend :) and I immediately signed up. Your food pictures are stunning! Would you be able to tell me what camera you use or is it just raw talent? Thank you and keep it up !

• Jackie — March 25th, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Oops – sorry! I just saw the answer to my camera question on your FAQ. But the kudos to you and how much I love your blog still stand :)

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

Thank you so much!

Happy When Not Hungry — March 25, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I can’t believe you got hail! That’s crazy. Where is spring already? Love the looks of your dinner too. Yum!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 25, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I love It’s Complicated! And carbonara. And all Italian food. Nothing more comforting to me :)

Jess — March 25, 2011 @ 10:39 am

it’s complicated is my go-to movie when the hubbie is gone as well. i know it’s not the best movie, but i can’t help it, it’s a guilty pleasure. it made my list/.

Jenna Caring — March 25, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

That looks so yummy. Will you be posting the recipe soon? I sure to hope so!
    p.s. I love that movie as well. Her house and bakery are both to die for…talk about a dream world. I also really loved the family dynamics and relationships of the all the kids too. So lovely.

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Me too!

Christina — March 25, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Its Complicated too!!! I have also considered wanting to live in the movie.. I want to live in her house especially!

Megan — March 25, 2011 @ 3:01 pm
    WenDee Riffe — March 25, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Well…Hmmmmm!!! Could you be pregers!!?? That would explain the craving of Italian!!?? Lol!!!! Recipe please!!!!

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Hahahaha no I’m definitely not.

Maranda — March 26, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

I love “girl food” nights! However, if you ask me during The Hubble’s next deployment I will definitely deny having typed that statement.

I’ve never tried pasta carbonara. I guess I need to put it at the top of my “to eat” list. Oh, and I guess I need to see that movie too…

1. Pingback: Portobello and Leek Carbonara | How Sweet It Is