I have a secret. Up until a few weeks ago, I would have never even considered making lasagna.

But then I found these.

Whole wheat, no boil noodles.

I picked them up and immediately was on a mission.

See, lasagna is way down at the bottom of the list for both Mr. How Sweet and me. He claims to hate ricotta cheese (although contrary to what he believes, he has eaten it plenty of times), and I am not much of a tomato sauce fan. Lasagna just isn’t on our side.

But I knew if I could make it with chicken (for him) and mushrooms (for me) and tons of cheese (mainly for me), but not ricotta (for him) and a light layer of tomato sauce (for me… again) and these neat whole wheat noodles that I picked up… we may love it.

Enter ricotta-less lasagna!

It was quite easy to assemble and didn’t take very long at all.

I usually have some shredded chicken on hand because, well… Mr. How Sweet might die if I didn’t. It comes in handy at times like these.

I topped the lasagna with some fresh basil and it was a total hit. I even loved it, which I didn’t think was a possibility.  The whole wheat noodles are definitely chewier than traditional lasagna noodles, but that is usually why I choose whole wheat pasta over non-whole wheat. I crave the chewiness. And lots of cheese.

Lots of cheese. Obviously.

Chicken, Mushroom and Parmesan Lasgana

serves 3-4

6-8 no boil, whole wheat lasagna noodles

6 ounces cooked, shredded boneless chicken breast

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup sliced mushrooms, chopped

4 cups raw spinach

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

3/4 cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese

1 1/2 cups tomato sauce

fresh basil for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and spinach and cook until spinach wilts. Fold in cooked, shredded chicken, turn off heat and mix in 1/4 cup of each cheese.

Spray a nonstick baking dish with nonstick spray (I used a 9 x 6 baking dish). Lay two lasagna noodles on the bottom of the dish (it’s okay if they overlap), then layer some of the chicken mixture on top. Spoon some tomato sauce on next, then sprinkle on some of each cheese – add as much or as little sauce and cheese as you’d like. Add two mote lasagna noodles on top and repeat the entire process until you reach the top. I was able to get four layers, but it just depends on your baking dish size. Once you get to the top, add shredded cheese to finish it off.

Set baking dish on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve with fresh basil for garnish.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! There’s a little bit of green up there.

113 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chicken and Parmesan Lasagna.”

Erica — March 17, 2011 @ 7:06 am

No love for tomato sauce? I think I could drink it…which sounds really weird but would be delicious (to me ;)). I like the chicken parm aspect of this (as that is one of Josh’s favorite dishes). I’ve never used the no boil lasagna. Does it taste the same as regular lasagna??

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Well, I don’t really eat regular lasagna… that is how much I dislike it. But the noodles are definitely chewier than regular lasagna noodles, but we loved them.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 17, 2011 @ 7:08 am

You don’t like tomato sauce?!?! I could eat my homemade marinara by the bowlful – and that’s it. Lucky for you I consider our friendship in the “unconditional love” category.

PS – That lasagna looks amazing – mushroom obsession much?

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 7:23 am

I don’t. I’m weird! It’s too acidic or something.

• Cara Craves... — March 17th, 2011 @ 8:46 am

A tad amount of brown sugar of honey may cut the acidity.

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

I’ve tried! I really just don’t like it.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 17, 2011 @ 7:08 am

I love lasagna and really love ricotta cheese, but this version looks amazing without it!

The Teenage Taste — March 17, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I never buy the lasagna noodles that you need to boil – it’s too much work! ;-)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — March 17, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I love lasagna but hate taking two hours to make the damn thing. I need to make this minus the mushrooms!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 17, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I feel like Garfield when I see a pan of lasagna. I feel like I could just plant my face in it. However, we all know that would be a bad idea for me, but dang that looks good!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 17, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I never make pasta because my husband is Italian. Anything I make is never as good as grandma’s. Although, I’d be willing to try again with this dish!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Oh man… well, neither of us are Italian. Probably why he dislikes ricotta and I dislike tomato sauce!

Joe — March 17, 2011 @ 7:34 am

This sounds really tasty, but how long should it bake? I can’t seem to find that in the recipe.

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 7:37 am

Oops sorry! Just added it in. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 17, 2011 @ 7:34 am

I LOVE the purple bakingware you used!!!!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 17, 2011 @ 7:44 am

I love the idea of this twist on a regular lasagna. I do the the traditional kind, but why not switch it up? love this idea!

Katrina — March 17, 2011 @ 7:45 am

I love the idea of a whole wheat pasta. Yum!

Heather — March 17, 2011 @ 7:48 am

i love that it’s about to overflow with cheesy goodness!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 17, 2011 @ 8:02 am

I love using no boil noodles- so fast and easy! I’ve got a huge sauce spot for all tomato-based foods, no matter how much pain they cause.

Love your purple baking dish!

brandi — March 17, 2011 @ 8:05 am

I’ve never seen those lasagna sheets before – they look so much easier to use than regular lasagna noodles.

and confession: I NEVER pre-cook my lasagna noodles, whether they say “no boil” or not. If you have enough liquid and it cooks long enough in the oven, they cook through!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Good to know!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 17, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Haha I laughed at your shredded chicken comment! I’m not a huge ricotta fan either and I’d probably only ever eat it in a lasagna. This sounds great Jess!!

Elena — March 17, 2011 @ 8:13 am

I just made something similar to this a few weeks ago with whole wheat noodles, chicken, spinach and alfredo sauce. That might be the way to go for you if you don’t like tomato sauce all that much. :)

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 8:15 am

That sounds incredible. I would bathe in alfredo sauce.

Blond Duck — March 17, 2011 @ 8:24 am

WHERE did you find those? I must know!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 17, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Just a little FYI: you never need to boil ANY lasagna noodles! Usually, there’s enough water in the sauce and vegetables to cook the noodles as the lasagna bakes. Sometimes you’ll need to add a cup or so more water to the sauce, but it always works to not pre-boil them. Brandi is right!! :)

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Awesome! Thanks girl!

Naomi — March 17, 2011 @ 8:42 am

I want carbs! And not in the form of oats sweet potato or brown rice lol…not o mention CHEESe!!!!! Ahhh

MelissaNibbles — March 17, 2011 @ 8:45 am

Sounds great. I like to use cottage cheese in place of ricotta.

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

The Mr. wouldn’t touch that either.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete — March 17, 2011 @ 8:49 am

One day I hope to make a lasagna. It just seems like such a daunting task!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

It’s really not as hard as it looks!

Mariah — March 17, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Gosh this looks ridiculously good; this is most certainly on my must try list! Thanks for the Recipe!

Jen — March 17, 2011 @ 9:18 am

I’ve seen whole wheat and I’ve seen no boil…but whole wheat AND no boil? I must, must, MUST find these. I went through a lasagna phase a while back, and it probably would have lasted a lot longer if I had found these noodles!

You can’t go wrong with chicken and parm! But no ricotta? I love ricotta!

lisa — March 17, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Where did you find those whole wheat no boil noodles? I’d love to try them out!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:44 am

At my grocery store in the pasta section.

• Amy — March 17th, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Mind sharing which grocery store?

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Giant Eagle!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 17, 2011 @ 9:26 am

I love those no boil noodles – I’ve never bought them in a sheet like that before!! You know what would make that lasagna even better – subbing in Alfredo for the tomato sauce—-talk about sinfully delish and pants popping!

• SJ — March 17th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

I was about to ask if adding alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce would work. That sounds delicious!

• Andrea @ Vegvacious — March 17th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I’ve made something similar in the past (minus the chicken) and it is amazing, but unfortunately not exactly low fat!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — March 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Sigh. Feed me now!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am

I love chewy noodles, so I know I would love some of that whole wheat lasagna pasta! Looks fantastic :)

Melissa — March 17, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Looks great! A heads up, I love the fresh lasagna sheets, and can get them in whole wheat and find them a bit less chewy then the dried ones. Seriously fresh lasagna sheets are so lovely!

Thanks for another great recipie..I am a new follower, but made the Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream and am still loving every bite of them!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Where could I get fresh sheets?? So glad you liked the brownies!

• Melissa — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

I looked up the brand I use, and realize it may just be a Canadian brand, as I am a friend from the great white north! I would keep an eye out in your grocery store in the fresh pasta section, I would be really surprised if they didn’t have them…I really do love them better than the dried.

If not, a second good option is brown rice lasagna noodles, which is found is most organic sections, makes for a lighter less heavy tasting lasagna!

Kim in MD — March 17, 2011 @ 9:59 am

You have out-done yourself once again, Jessica! I have never seen no boil whole wheat lasagna noodles…where did you purchase them? I rarely crave lasagna, but I am seriously craving it now! :-)

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

My local grocery store!!

Stacey — March 17, 2011 @ 10:06 am

This looks amazing! I love lasagna in all forms and the more cheese the better. So where did you find those noodles?

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:42 am

My local grocery store!

• Kim in MD — March 17th, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I have never seen them at my store. I guess I am going to have to move to Pittsburg! ;-) Actually, I googled them and found them on-line, so I don’t have to move just yet! I won’t rule it out in the future though…you come home from your local store with some amazing ingredients!

Amanda (Eating Up) — March 17, 2011 @ 10:14 am

I’m not a huge fan of lasagna either, but I could be a fan of this lasagna!

Cara — March 17, 2011 @ 10:21 am

This lasagna looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try it!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — March 17, 2011 @ 10:23 am

I would make lasagna with no boil whole wheat noodles too. Probably only then.

Natalia - a side of simple — March 17, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I’ll keep my “greens” to a garnish… You don’t want to overdue it with the vegetables, you know ;)

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Oh… I know! :)

thehealthyapron — March 17, 2011 @ 10:38 am

lasagna in all forms is one of my favorite dishes!! I have to admit the cheesier and MEATIER the better. It’s the one dish that I feel tastes BETTER with meaT!

sara — March 17, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Ooooh, this looks delicious! I actually love “traditional” lasagna, but I also love to try interesting variations. This one looks fantastic! :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 17, 2011 @ 10:51 am

That looks delicious! I’m SO obsessed with that purple dish! :-)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing — March 17, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Love that last photo! I am with many of the above posters though — my heart just broke a little that you don’t love tomato sauce ;)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 17, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I like that there is more than meat in this lasagna. My hubby LOVES Lasagna…I call him Garfield. So, this is a happy mix of his favs and a bit of healthiness. But, if it were healthy, it would be beef and sausages up in there.

Yum Yucky — March 17, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I read the title wrong. I though the chicken was whole wheat. I’m like, “how’d she do THAT?” But, ohhh. What a beautiful end result.

Marla — March 17, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I am loving this beautiful protein packed lasagna!

girliefriend — March 17, 2011 @ 11:31 am

I can forgive your sweet side when you give me things like this. Yum!

Jenny — March 17, 2011 @ 11:41 am

I can’t believe he doesn’t like ricotta!!! I am IN LOVE with lasagna and ricotta! yum yum, this still looks great though!:)

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — March 17, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Been looking everywhere for no boil WW lasag noodles… where did you find those ?

Ashley — March 17, 2011 @ 11:46 am

It’s been way to long since I’ve made lasagna. I’ve used cottage cheese instead of ricotta before and it works quite well. Looks great! Love the deep purple baking dish!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — March 17, 2011 @ 11:50 am

ooooh what a fabulous find! I had no idea they made WW NO BOIL lasagna noodles! You just skiipped cleaning a pot! score~!!!!! Cleaning pots + skillets is the absolute WORST!

thanks for the bday wishes darling! mwah!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — March 17, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

What a great idea! I love wheat noodles for their chewier texture, as well. I’m sad you don’t like tomato sauce, but at least you LOVE cheese!

Anne @ Baking Me — March 17, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Lasagna is a favorite in my house, I love the idea of no boil noodles since that is usually the part that turns me off the lasagna making process. Oh and I made your shrimp tacos last night for dinner, wow they were so good I am actually going to make them again today for lunch :) Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

So glad you liked them. Thank you for trying my recipes!

teresa — March 17, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Only YOU would have a PURPLE baking dish~
    I’m loving the whole wheat {no~boil} noodles!
    I too crave CHEWY!
    This looks very HEALTHY!
    I know it was YUM and smelled the house up YUMMY while baking!
    xo

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 17, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

I now really want some lasagna :-)

1. Pingback: Recipe Round Up: Blog Inspiration!

2. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #50 – Whole Wheat Chicken and Parmesan Lasagna « Ella Rose Entertaining

3. Pingback: Things I am loving right now…….. « unfinishedramble

4. Pingback: I heart food « unfinishedramble

5. Pingback: Roasted Butternut and Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Quick + Easy Skillet Lasagna. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

8. Pingback: Quick + Easy Skillet Lasagna. | Lifestyle Pins

9. Pingback: Tag 302: Mondach. | VIRGINIA DREAMIN''