1. The Easter bunny left me an Easter basket packed to the brim with Trader Joe’s treats.

Because nothing says “I love you” like your favorite fruit leather fiber supplements.

2. Many of you have been asking what I thought of Water for Elephants after seeing it on Saturday. I loved it… as a movie. As usual, the book was 8 billion times better. But I still really enjoyed the movie and will probably buy it and watch it 54 times in a row while Mr. How Sweet whines. I was disappointed that they left so much out of the film – I understand they couldn’t include everything, but I thought some major plot lines and characters were left out. That, and I’ve decided I want a pet elephant.

3. Yesterday for dessert we had orange cake, brownie pops, coconut cream pie, an assortment of other pies, funfetti cookies, ricotta pie, and cheesecake. We also had spring m&m’s, jelly beans, Sarris chocolate peanut butter and coconut eggs, chocolate covered Oreos and tons of Reese’s eggs. I’m okay with not seeing sweets again until next week. Orrrrr…. until tomorrow when I make you cupcakes.

4. Best book you’ve read lately? Go!

5. I made a new summer kitchen playlist. This is just a little taste. I’m still 70 years old. Maybe even older.

6. I’M OUT OF BACON.

7. Sorry to shout, but that’s a pretty big deal.

93 Responses to “A Monday List.”

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing — April 25, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I think we’d get along fine as grannies — I listen to Captain and Tennille and eat dried fruit like it’s my job.

dani — April 25, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

best book i’ve read lately: pillars of the earth, by ken follet. seriously.

bonus: its like 100000 pages long so you wont need to decide on another book for a while.

and i am loving the playlist because i, too, am 70 years old. truth.

amanda @ fake ginger — April 25, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

I would love a basket full of TJ’s goodies! Alas, we don’t have TJ’s. :(

I just finished Favorite Wife by Susan Ray Schmidt and it was SO GOOD.

Lisa R — April 25, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Just finished ‘Unbroken’ and I’m SO not a nonfiction person. But I seriously couldn’t put it down. Posted a review on my site. It was amazing – highly recommend.

@dani – I have that on my kindle – I’ve heard it’s awesome, I’m moving it up in the ‘to read’ list!

Donna @ Love, Run & Travel — April 25, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Thanks for the movie review!
    I JUST finished the book so i might wait a while to see the movie, it would be too “fresh” to see it now with all the characters and plots swirling in my head
    And seriously, the book made me want a pet elephant, can’t imagine what the movie will do :)

Samantha — April 25, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I am re-reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon for about the 10th time (waiting impatiently for the next book to come out next year). Pillars of the Earth is a great book too!

Krystina (Organically Me) — April 25, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I just got a cavity reading that list of sweets.

I love it.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 25, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

oh dear, out of bacon is a BIG deal…i’m sending you mental bacon as i type this (whatever that means :))

Alisa — April 25, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

I just finished the four books of Nora Roberts’ bridal quartet. not very intellectual, but they were such good reads! :)

• Elaine — April 25th, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

I liked those too! I’m trying not to apologize for reading “non-intellectual” books anymore because they’re just as important to my mental health! :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence — April 25, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Read the book, but haven’t seen the movie yet- but I’m sure I will agree with you!

Sarah — April 25, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

I’m reading Water for Elephants right now!! Why is it always true that the book is so much better than the movie? I’m not sure I’ll see it….can’t really get past the Robert Pattinson/Twilight thing!

I just read Something Borrowed, which is consequently also a movie coming out soon! I really liked it, lots of drama and romance! And John Krasinski is in the movie, which is always good….

Jessica A — April 25, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

If you like series books…try out Outlander by Diana Gaboldon. You’ll get hooked.
    If you like to think…try The Space Trilogy by CS Lewis (sounds sci-fi but it is really cool especially when you put it into context.)
    If you like book turned movie….try The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    If you like a good cry (and a classic)…try Bridges of Madison County (I just read this…great book. Haven’t seen the movie yet.)

I have 5 pieces of leftover bacon. I would sacrifice and give them to you if I could. But thankfully, I can’t. That means I get to eat them. I might share with my husband. Emphasis on MIGHT.

• Erin — April 25th, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly…the entire Outlander series was outstanding .

• Jessica A — April 25th, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

I am so glad someone else has read it! I have one friend and one family member and I have never meet anyone else who has.
        Kudos :)

• Courtney — April 25th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

Diana Gabaldon is actually amazing good to know so many others know about her too! And if you only read one book this year, make it The Story of Edgar Sawtelle – really beautifully written.

• nikki — April 29th, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I’m on A Breath of Snow and Ashes right now. I am totally hooked to the Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon has an amazing mind.

• Jessica A — April 25th, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Oh and add a little The Band Perry to your playlist. I just did and it makes my day.
      Maybe a little Edwin McCain (try Holy City).

lisa — April 25, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

The Hunger Game series – i’ve read the first 2 books so far. There are 3 total. Could not put them down!

Erin — April 25, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

I’m the same way,a grannie-pants at heart. But I tend to lean towards Tom Jones for my culinary soundtracking. :-)

Best book I’ve read lately?? The Kommandant’s Girl by Pam Jenoff. I Lurved it. Almost as much as I love peanut butter.

i’m new to your blog having stumbled upon it recently, and I can;t tell you how happy I did. It’s like meeting a new friend!)

Kate @ NaturaStride — April 25, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

Best book lately: The Passage! Great for a long vacation or plane ride.

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — April 25, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

How are you out of bacon?!?!?! Tsk tsk tsk! :)

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger a bit ago and i loved it. I could not put it down, even though it gave me the chills.

Shanna, Like Banana — April 25, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Best book? I ended up loving the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo…at first it was boring and blah, but turned out to be a fabulous read!

also Jessica — April 25, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Good books! Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith and, I’m only about 1/3 way through but it’s good so far, Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 25, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

I like Neil Diamond — I’m pretty sure that makes me a Granny too :)

Right now I’m reading Uglies — it is a series of 4 books, I know the 2nd book is called Pretties but after that I don’t know. I like them so far! Before that I was reading The Hunger Games and the 2 books after that. Loved those. I’m hoping to read Water for Elephants after Uglies!

• Stina — April 25th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Agreed on both of these. I’m currently about to finish Catching Fire (the second book in The Hunger Games series) and I’ve already got Mockingjay (book three) at home. I finished Uglies right before I started Catching Fire, and I’m waiting for Pretties to come in at the library.

Also, Specials and Extras are the next two books in the Uglies series.

These are young adult novels so they’re pretty quick reads too.

• Devon — April 26th, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

The Uglies series is my favorite of all time (excluding Harry Potter)! I’m not a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan, but they are SO good! Couldn’t put em down!

Mama Pea — April 25, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

You make me feel much better about my love affair with James Taylor.

Christina — April 25, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Have you read A Reliable Wife yet? That’s an AMAZING book.

I’m sorry you’re out of bacon. That is some serious sh*t. :D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 25, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Lady, if you lived next door, I would give you bacon…I don’t know how we will eat all of this!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 25, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Haha! Thanks for the afternoon giggles! I haven’t even read Water for Elephants yet nor have I seen the movie, but I’m thinking that with all the hype it’ll be a forgo-the-book-and-go-to-the-cinema sort of deal. This is usually the case since I read at a snail’s pace. Thanks for the review! :)

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — April 25, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

The Easter bunny visited me, too! :-) We’re never too old for Easter!!!

Melissa — April 25, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I read the Red Tent recently – its been out for a while and I just now got to it. Intense and I couldn’t put it down!

Naomi — April 25, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

oh jessica what I would give for 1 PB filled pretzel :)

i am loving your kitchen playlist…have you ever listened to Joshua Radin? i am IN LOVE with his music!

Alaina — April 25, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Noooo! Bacon!!! :-P

I’m reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen and it’s really good! It’s a long book so it should keep me busy for a while.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 25, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Somehow I made it through high school without ever having to read it, and I’m SO happy that it wasn’t wasted on me as a teenager. This book was fantastic! Definitely would not have appreciated it as a teen :)

• Brooke — April 26th, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

I read Tree just last year, too, and I feel the same way (that it wasn’t wasted on me as a teen)–loved it!

Kim in MD — April 25, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Hr. How Sweet really does love you! :-) I was wondering what you thought of the movie. I haven’t read the book yet, so maybe I will see the movie first (so I won’t be dissapointed)!

Ricki — April 25, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I’m about 2/3 of the way through The Hunger Games…sooooo good!

Kristina @ spabettie — April 25, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I know I will own the movie and watch it constantly. Like I do now with Julie and Julia. <3

I just finished reading all of Ruth Reichl's books – they are GREAT!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — April 25, 2011 @ 5:19 pm

I love Honey Bee by Blake Shelton!!! He’s coming to Virginia late this summer and I’m sooo getting tickets.

Best book I’ve read lately is the 4th Harry Potter book. I’m super late to the party clearly, and working my way through the series now!

alex — April 25, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Best book lately, One Day, by David Nicholls. Read it! So fun and a very unique concept. Also to be a movie this summer with Anne Hathaway!

Foodiebia — April 25, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Bossypants by Tina Fey is incredible. If you like her/30 Rock you will be dying with laughter. I literally am reading it a second time right now.

I also loved the Hunger Games series, like a lot of other people here.

Robyn {Planet Byn} — April 25, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

skipping a beat by sarah pekkanen was a great read! like the commenters above, i’m also on book 3 of the hunger games series and i’m OBSESSED!

Melissa — April 25, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

Would you believe I forgot to buy bacon at Trader Joe’s over the weekend??? The horror!

Best book lately was Water for Elephants. Just finished it for the second time in as many months. Guess I should read something else next! :)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy — April 25, 2011 @ 6:15 pm

I cant waaait to see it!
    And I am almost done with the third book of the Hunger Games, and it’s amazing so far. Really great read, can’t put it down. Also I love reading books when I know there’s a movie coming out because apparently I’m obsessed with being disappointed.

shannon — April 25, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

I am reading Organized Simplicity. and i was wondering if you could tell me where that easter basket came from??? i am having trouble finding some for my kids that i like.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — April 25, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I love the humor in all of your posts!

Ann Claire — April 25, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Looks like an awesome Easter basket! Quick, go to the store to get more bacon!
    As for book, I read it a couple months ago but I really loved Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

Kelly — April 25, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

book – The Darkest Child by…something or other Phillips….
    also just finished Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Ashley — April 25, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I just finished Sarah’s Key and I cried like a baby…it was really sad. The best book I ever read was Lamb by Christopher Moore or The Alchemist by paulo coelho.
    I am going to TJ’s tomorrow to fill up my house with wonderful treats. Especially their light kettle corn.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 25, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I am currently reading The Kitchen House – it is absolutely gripping. I love it!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — April 25, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Out of bacon?! That couldn’t be as horrible as if you were out of SPRINKLES! Oh that day would be a bad day for sure ;)

Best book recently – well I’m currently reading Water for Elephants but my last favorite book was probably Iron Crowned. I love anything by Richelle Mead.

Rachel — April 25, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

Once a Runner! Actually one of the only books I’ve read in a while… but I liked it.

Once again, I love that you love James Taylor & Carole King. Right there with ya! The other day my boyfriend used the phrase “whenever you’re ready” in a sentence and I started singing the JT song “Whenever You’re Ready”… needless to say he asked me to stop.

& I’m really sorry to hear about the bacon! Get on that!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — April 25, 2011 @ 8:26 pm

The best book I’ve read lately is The Help. I couldn’t put it down, super compelling. Get on it!

Water for Elephants is next on my list!

Blog is the New Black — April 25, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

Listening to The Hunger Games on CD in the car (yup, I’m 60) also love anything by Elin Hilderbrand or Emily Giffin for fluff… Firefly Lane and Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah were excellent… Reliable Wife was great…

Megan — April 25, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

Just reread “Bright Lights, Big Ass” by Jen Lancaster… love it love it (especially since I now live in Chicago.

Also read ‘And Then There was One”… kinda creepy kidnapping set in my home state..

I’m out of flour… this IS NOT good

Angela — April 25, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Fantastic, quick read.

Laura @FoodSnobSTL — April 25, 2011 @ 9:04 pm

I’m reading Pictures of You and it is very good!

1. Pingback: Building a List Offers 3 Valuable Intangibles | Direktori Indonesia