Beneath the peanut butter cups, bacon cupcakes and jelly beans, I found the desire to make this baked spaghetti.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

It was a miracle really.

But I wanted to make you dinner. Yes, you over there… on the other side of that screen.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

See, I don’t really love spaghetti, but most people do. It’s the whole tomato sauce thing that I’m not so keen on. But you most likely love crushed tomatoes pureed into oblivion with garlic and spices. Am I right or am I right?

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

If you don’t, you’re gonna have to do some pretending. Since youre coming for dinner and all.

I’ll make sure to have other delicious things on the table too.

Like toasty garlic bread that is glistening with melted butter and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

And wine. Do you like red or white?

And maybe even rum.

I like to mix it up.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

And salad. Lots of salad. Mainly because I won’t be eating any of it. I made it for you.  Just for you.

See? I like you.

I really like you.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti

serves 4-6

3/4 pound whole wheat spaghetti

1/2 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/4 pounds ground beef (I used 93% lean)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped

2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep water to boil for pasta. I cooked a spaghetti with a 10-minute cooking time for 7 minutes since it was going in the oven.

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute. Season ground beef with the teaspoon of salt and pepper and add to skillet. Break apart with a wooden spoon and brown on both sides. This should only take about 5-6 minutes.

Stir in one cup of pasta sauce and half of the chopped fresh basil. Mix to combine, then add in pasta and toss. Spray a 9×13 baking dish (or baking dish of your choice, I used an 8-inch round, 4-inch deep dish) with non-stick spray. Add half of the spaghetti mixture to the dish, then top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and half of each cheese. Add the remaining spaghetti and top with the rest of the sauce and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

Remember, you don’t get dessert unless you eat your dinner. That’s a rule in this house.

[One that I never follow.]

162 Responses to “Baked Parmesan Spaghetti.”

RhodeyGirl — April 12, 2011 @ 11:09 am

Jessica these photos are absolutely gorgeous! Love the backgrounds and love the angles and the lighting and I just love them!

Also, PB would love this dish. Come over and make it for him?

• Jessica — April 12th, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Thanks girl! And I’d love to come over. :)

Ashley — April 12, 2011 @ 11:11 am

5th photo = UHmazing! Love the fork shot too!

• Jessica — April 12th, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Thanks friend!

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — April 12, 2011 @ 11:21 am

I’ve never thought of making a baked spaghetti dish like this before! Yum. :)

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — April 12, 2011 @ 11:33 am

No but really. I’m so very in love with this meal. It screams Italia to me. Sweet sweet Italia :)

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — April 12, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Hello :) This looks great—another one I’m saving!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — April 12, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Mmmm. This seems like a perfect dinner! Especially the garlic bread part!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — April 12, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

White wine please. And then red wine. :)
    I think this dish needs to be made in my house this week.

A Bowl Of Mush — April 12, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

Looks hearty, gorgeous and delicious!

Such a lovely and different take on a spaghetti bolognese or a lasagna!

Biz — April 12, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Both my daughter and step-son abhor red sauce – their pasta is with butter and fresh shaved parmesan – and none of that delicious green basil – where did I go wrong with them?

Maybe I’ll send them to your house – for dessert! :D

Naomi — April 12, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

sooo can I come for dinner?

Jen — April 12, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

This reminds me of a spaghetti pie my mom used to make when I was younger. I haven’t had it in years! I love baked pasta. I think spaghetti gets forgotten about when it comes to baked dishes. This looks really fun…like a lasagna you can swirl…

Natalia - a side of simple — April 12, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

That melted/broiled/bubbly/brown cheese is going to keep me up at night, I just know it. So I guess I better just make this already, huh? ;)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — April 12, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

I LOVE that little crock that you baked it in!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition — April 12, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

OMG can I come over for dinner?! That cheese looks so amazing! We are having friends over for dinner tonight and I think you just gave me a great idea of what to serve! Thank you!!

Katrina — April 12, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

I love spaghetti and I love red wine! This dinner sounds perfect for me. I’ll also have some of that salad you’re giving away. You see? This is why I come to your site every day…you’re always thinking of others, lol.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — April 12, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

I’m not a tomato sauce fan either, but if you’re making me dinner…then I suppose I’ll eat everything on my plate. :) Baked pastas make the world go ’round, after all.

Caitlin — April 12, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

I LOVE spaghetti. You know what I love even more? Reheated spaghetti.

I am so weird.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — April 12, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for the invite ~ I’ll take a glass of red please ;-)

This baked spaghetti looks awesome!! Spaghetti baked with lotsa cheese – yes please!!

Katie — April 12, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

I never follow that rule, either. :-) But this looks delicious, so I’d probably eat it before dessert, anyway.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 12, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

I could live on Italian food :) My mom has always made it (she is Italian) and to me there is nothing better. I love your idea for this dish! I can’t wait to try it!

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 12, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Mmmm so good! once I also tried one-pot spaghetti and that was heavenly too!

Rachael — April 12, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

My mom does something similar, she makes a spaghetti pie. She presses nearly al dente noodles into a pie dish, then tosses it in the oven crisp a bit, then she addes the saucy insides, cheese on top (naturally) and then broils for a minute. Word.

(then she slices it like pie and serves it up to us steaming hot.)

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — April 12, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Good thing the craving stuck for baked spaghetti — b/c this baby looks gorgeous! and delish of course =) that goes without saying <3

Mrs. Jen B — April 12, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Hey, whole wheat spaghetti. This is practically health food. Right??? ;)

Anne @ Baking Me — April 12, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

I love anything covered with cheese :) This looks great!

Jess — April 12, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

i made a recipe like this years ago, i think it was from martha. it was tasty of course, but the cool part was that you baked it in a springform pan and then slice it like a cake. of course i topped it with extra tomato sauce! it looked like cake with whipped cream!

Tiffiny — April 12, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

how do you make even spaghetti look so delicious!!

anyway, baked spaghetti is the best! somehow it’s so much better than the regular kind. must be the cheese!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprouts — April 12, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

The sauce is the BEST part! The chunkier, the better, yum! This looks amazing!

Alaina — April 12, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

Aww, thanks for inviting me to dinner! This looks delicious and right up my alley. :-)

Now where’s the dessert? ;-)

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — April 12, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

How ridiculously delicious is this? Whoa. I need to make this.

Eunice — April 12, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

Baked spaghetti! Can you believe that I have never tried this? I didn’t even know it existed! Aaaand I just got really excited because I have all of the ingredients for this. *yes*

Moni'sMeals — April 12, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

I love your recipe for Baked Spaghetti! This might be my next dinner. Thanks!

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — April 12, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Can you just come over to my house and cook me dinner every single night? My goodness that looks phenomenal and beats my hummus & cabbage that I just ate!

• Jessica — April 12th, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Would love to! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — April 12, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

The second picture of the melty cheese look amazinggg!

Christine — April 12, 2011 @ 9:05 pm

Looks good- I love pasta but don’t do a lot of red sauce either. I absolutly love that you throw in the occasional “real food” recipe, although the sweets are really what get me coming back :)

Maranda — April 12, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

I have been craving spaghetti like crazy. I made some the other day…but after seeing this, I may have to make some more!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon — April 12, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

such beautiful photos!!

Cookin' Canuck — April 12, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Does this ever look good (and easy)! What a comforting fish.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 12, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

This looks like a perfect dinner to me.

Baking Serendipity — April 12, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

Thanks for making me dinner :) I’ve never baked spaghetti before…I like the idea though! (And the cheesy bread on the side!)

Tasha @ Voracious — April 13, 2011 @ 1:56 am

FINALLY! Someone who understands how I feel about spaghetti. I am not a fan either, and for exactly the same reason as you…tomato sauce. I can handle it on pizza, but not on pasta! The strange thing is, I like raw tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes, and even ketchup is okay…I just don’t like tomato sauce. BUT, my husband loves spaghetti and so I make it…occasionally. ;-)

That said, your baked spaghetti actually looks like a dish I would love! Seriously, GORGEOUS!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2011 @ 6:50 am

Thank you Tasha!

Gayle215 — April 13, 2011 @ 8:51 am

You are hysterical! I love your blog. I want to EAT that right now!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2011 @ 9:08 am

Thank you so much!!

erin — April 13, 2011 @ 11:01 am

thank you so much for making this for me last night! It was absolutely delicious!!

I served it to my family last night and it was a total hit!! We will be making it again..very soon!!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Great!

marla — April 13, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Your baked spaghetti looks awesome – love it in those single serve baking dishes. xo

Claire — April 14, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Holy moley. This looks SO FREAKING delicious!!! And what a way to control portion sizes, by serving in single dishes! I’d still eat more, but what a cute idea!

Natalia_C — April 15, 2011 @ 10:07 am

The little white serving dish with the handle, where did you get it? It is too precious, also, the recipe looks delish :)

• Jessica — April 15th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Sur la Table! :)

Meighan at Cooking With Abandon — April 18, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

Tried this last night, delish!

Kathleen — April 28, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I’ve been itching to make this recipe ever since I saw it posted a few weeks ago. I finally had the chance to make it last night and oh boy. I’m not a big baked spaghetti fan, but the pictures wowed me enough to give this a try and I’m glad that I did. It was fantastic. We had seconds. I brought it in for lunch and maybe, I’ll have it for dinner too. Thanks!

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:07 pm

So glad you liked it! :)

Katie — April 29, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Made this tonight, it was delicious! I only had 1 lb ground beef and no fresh basil, but it was still super tasty. Mine was not as saucy looking as yours (I used a whole jar of Rao’s marinara- not the HUGE jar) but probably good because my kids were messy enough as it was! Thanks for this, it will be made again for sure.

Diane — May 3, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I made this last night. It was AMAZING…so, soooo good. My husband said, “This recipe’s a keeper”. I plan to put it in my ‘regular rotation’. I have a question for you though, as I got a little confused while making this delicious dish…so hoping you can clarify the instructions for me? After the step where you stir in 1 cup of the pasta sauce and 1/2 of the basil, you lost me. (easy for me to get lost these days – I think it’s called perimenopause, ugh!) OK, so you add the 1 cup of sauce & half the basil, stir to combine….next prep the baking the pan. After that, the recipe says to “add half the spaghetti mixture to the dish”. I was confused here wondering if it meant just the spaghetti (plain) or did I miss a step where something(s) were to be added to the spaghetti to create a “mixture”? Was I supposed to add the cooked spaghetti to the skillet with the browned ground beef, and that would give me a “spaghetti mixture”?
    Thanks, in advance. I’m new to your blog – I love it! It makes me smile. And it makes me hungry. :)

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Yep – I add the spaghetti to beef mixture with the sauce!