Remember when I made that white chocolate peanut butter?

I also made these meringue cookies. It only took me eight tries.

I was obsessed with the idea of making peanut butter meringues, especially with the white chocolate peanut butter. I could only imagine how fluffy and crunchy and delicious they would be.

After a zillion failed attempts (err… eight) I finally got it right. I didn’t think it would be that complicated since I have made meringue cookies before from an old Mother Lovett recipe, but that peanut butter is a different beast.

(It’s also addicting and delectable in case you were wondering.)

Moral of the story: use room temperature egg whites. Make sure your peanut butter is really creamy, but not warm. Don’t stir too much; only fold. And make double the amount you think you need, because these are as light as air and you will eat hundreds of them (err… maybe twenty).

Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies

makes about 36-40 cookies, depending on the size you make

3 egg whites, at room temperature

3 tablespoons powdered sugar

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 cup peanut butter

3-4 ounces of high-quality chocolate

Remove eggs from the fridge and separate them, leaving the egg whites in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. If you are using a pastry bag to pipe the cookies, prepare it now. Set out a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Melt peanut butter (using a microwave or double boiler) until it is creamy. Set aside and let cool, but make sure to stir the peanut butter every few minutes, You want it to remain creamy and “runnier” than when it comes from the jar, but not be very warm.

Add egg whites to a very clean and dry bowl of an electric mixer with a pinch of salt. Begin with the mixer on low speed, and gradually increase the speed as peaks begin to form. Beat in the sugar and cream of tartar. Increase the speed to high and beat until glossy. You want stiff peaks, which took about 5-6 minutes for me.

Make sure the peanut butter is still creamy but has cooled. Add it to the egg whites and mix it through with only 4-5 folding motions (it should look like the 3rd picture down). Quickly add mixture to pastry bag or simply use a spoon and drop cookies onto the sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the cookies sit in the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Baking time will depend on the size of the cookies, and you need to watch them closely as they are already a golden color from the peanut butter. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cool, melt chocolate (in the microwave or a double boiler) and dip half of each cookie in the chocolate. Let chocolate cool before serving.

These are about as healthy as we’re gonna get here with chocolate and peanut butter, so eat up! I sure did.

69 Responses to “Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies.”

VeggieGirl — April 3, 2011 @ 9:36 am

All I can say is MMMMMM!

The Teenage Taste — April 3, 2011 @ 9:37 am

I agree with VeggieGirl. These look delicious! Anything with chocolate and peanut butter has to be good. It’s a law, I believe. ;-)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — April 3, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Totally loving these! :)

julia — April 3, 2011 @ 9:40 am

yes please! Im scared of making meringues…but these motivate me to try!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 3, 2011 @ 9:43 am

You just made meringues so much more exciting!

Sara — April 3, 2011 @ 9:46 am

These look SO good! I was thinking though, maybe these were so difficult to make because egg whites deflate when you add fat to them (ie yolks, oil, peanut butter?)….I don’t know. Either way, you clearly triumphed over the finicky-ness of egg whites and made delicious sounding meringue!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — April 3, 2011 @ 9:49 am

I love this concept! I would’ve never thought to pair peanut butter with meringue!

Kim in MD — April 3, 2011 @ 9:51 am

Is there any better combo than chocolate and peanut butter? Well…maybe something with bacon could rival it! ;-)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 3, 2011 @ 9:55 am

You know I love meringue! In fact, I am trying to figure out a reason to make some today. Oh, heck, I’m gonna make it just for scuzz today.

Erica — April 3, 2011 @ 9:58 am

they look perfect! Totally worth the effort!!! Meringues are amazing and I bet that peanut butter adds that perfect something

vanillasugarblog — April 3, 2011 @ 9:59 am

oh i love this idea! eight times eh? i don’t think i’ve ever given a recipe 8 tries; i stop at like 2 or 3. so good for you for keeping on keeping on. thye sound really good and addictive.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 3, 2011 @ 10:03 am

These look delicious! You can’t go wrong with PB and chocolate!

Clare — April 3, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Delectable!

Charlie — April 3, 2011 @ 10:41 am

These sound delicious! You ca never go wrong with the PB & chocolate combo ;).

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — April 3, 2011 @ 10:42 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMM these sound awesome!! :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 3, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Jessica,

You’re making it hard for a fit blogger to stay fit! :) Those look delicious, chocolate and PB – be still my heart ;)

Mika — April 3, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Brilliant idea!!!!

Gen — April 3, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Those look awesome! And they’re light and airy, and small, so its ok to eat at least twice the usual amount, right?

Lauren — April 3, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Do you know…I have a pastry bag and a coupler, but I cannot figure out how to get the coupler on! Any tips as I figure you’d need them to pipe the meringues?

Dana — April 3, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Yummy!! Yummy!! I absolutely applaud your creativity and determination!! :) Thank you!!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — April 3, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Wonderful idea! I love meringues and I love peanut butter. Did you know that this is also a lower calorie way to enjoy penut butter? Well unless you eat them all! Yummy I really want to make these

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 3, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

8 tries :O Damn girl!!! Now that’s dedication!

Katrina — April 3, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

I have somehow gone through my entire life without ever tasting a meringue! Silly me. These are too delicious looking to pass up. I must try!

Janice — April 3, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Is everything better with peanut butter? I think it probably is!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — April 3, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

This sounds similar to the battle one encounters making macarons – blending a delicate meringue with a fatty nut mixture. As you discovered, room temperature eggs help.

Let it be noted that meringues are often touted as healthier cookies because they’re lower in fat. Let it also be noted that nuts include healthy fats. Finally, let it be noted that dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. Doctors should be prescribing these for their patients.

Tracey — April 3, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Genius idea! Not that I’m surprised, you are full of them :)

Andrea@Vegvacious — April 3, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Yum! I love meringue cookies and I’m pretty confident when I say I will love these!!

Maranda — April 3, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

I already said this on twitter…but I do believe this is what they eat in heaven. I can’t wait to try these! I’m glad you finally got them right so you could share with us!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing — April 3, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

I may have to make these. I’ve been obsessed with meringue lately!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 3, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I’ve been itching to try homemade meringues!! There was a recipe for pecan ones in Bon Appetit this month (I think?!) that sounded really good…but not as good as these!!

Rebekah — April 3, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

Wow those are beautiful!!! :)

Megan — April 3, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

Have you ever tried adding PB2 to any of your baked items? It’s basically powdered peanut butter- they removal all the fat from the peanuts and the result is powdered peanuts- it might be nice in an execution like this. Might be worth a try.

alison @ Ingredients, INc. — April 3, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

These look amazing!!

Baking Serendipity — April 3, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I love these! Regardless of how many tries it took to get here, your meringues look fantastic :) High five!

Ida — April 3, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

what a great idea! Seriously you need to do a post on how you come up with all your recipes. Your creativity amazes me.

jenny eats nutella from a spoon — April 3, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

holy amazing, i would make this in a beat if i had an electric mixer! no way i can beat all those egg whites :(

Tickled Red — April 3, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Peanut butter is definitely fickle but I’m so glad you stuck with it :) These look scrumptious!

Twinkle — April 3, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

These sound wonderful!!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — April 3, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

these look amazing!!!!

Heather — April 3, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

they look great even if the egg whites weren’t room temp…extra PB and chocolate for me please!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 3, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Peanut butter meringue is such a good idea! Those look yummmmmmmmy!!

Jen — April 3, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Can’t go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter! That combination will never die. Neither will my obsession with your blog. I want everything you make!

Blond Duck — April 3, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

I feel so jealous. I made homemade pb granola bars. Not as tasty as cookies!

Allie — April 3, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

That’s a lot of tries! You have some perseverance girl. But I don’t blame you, I’d go through anything for some PB and chocolate!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — April 3, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

PB and chocolate are always a good idea.

Maris (in Good Taste) — April 3, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Going to kitchen right now to make these cookies!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Girl" — April 3, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Wow- these are amazing! I definitely don’t have the goods to make these right now. But one day…Until then I’ll continue to come to your blog to learn more amazing recipes

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 3, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

these look wonderful! Any time specific temperature instructions are given for egg whites, I know I will never make the recipe, though. lol

But seriously 8 attempts?! ALL worth it b/c they look divine!!!!!

Hannah — April 3, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

THANK YOU! I’m a dedicated meringue maker (from standard pavlovas to peppermint meringues to hazelnut meal and cocoa meringue to….) but have never made nut butter meringues because I’m scared of the density of the latter. Thank you for giving me faith that this is possible :)

Kristi @ KristiAteIt — April 3, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

You had me at chocolate dipped, then sealed the deal with the pictures. Looks delicious!

1. Pingback: Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down! | The Sometimes Healthy Living Blog

2. Pingback: Adzzoo Review - The Peanut Butter And Jelly Test : Leaders Not Leads

3. Pingback: Healthy Passover – Recipe Roundup