I did.

Yes I did.

And while my pathetic attempted title plagiarism of a 1996 country album may be surprising, the fact that this asparagus took a long, hot bath in bacon drippings is not. You know me.

You probably know me enough to assume that I was not listening to country music in 1996, and there was no way that Mr. How Sweet influenced me back then… which is good considering that association would have been highly illegal in 1996. I did, in fact, know the title of that album, if only for the reason that at the same time, that same summer, as I was belting “Strawberry Wine” while engulfed in an issue of Seventeen and simultaneously over-tweezing my eyebrows, I was begging my mom to let me shave my legs. My only thought? Um, who wouldn’t shave their legs for this? I totally would. If I was allowed.

If you suppose I am giving up my vegetable hating roots for a new greener, fresher, crispier perspective, be not afraid.  Even I can survive a few forkfuls of greenery drenched in salty bacon fat. And after 24 hours of straight sugar consumption, complete with mashed potato and glazed ham bookends, bites of potato chip potato casserole and copious amounts of wine, something green appeared to be inevitable. Wise even. The mature choice. The pants fitting choice. So I ate some.

As a side to my pizza of course. I haven’t ventured to your dark side just yet.

Shaved Asparagus Salad

serves 2-4

10-12 asparagus spears (or more depending how thick they are)

1 slice bacon

3 cups fresh arugula

1 shallot, sliced

1 orange, peeled and segmented

1 orange, juiced

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I actually used pecorino roma – either will work)

Snap the ends off of the asparagus and discard or save for later use. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the asparagus spears into long ribbons, starting from bottom to top. I find the firmed I press down, the thicker the strips will be. Set aside.

Heat a skillet of medium heat. Chop bacon and add it to the skillet, browning until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel, leaving the drippings. Add asparagus and shallot to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until asparagus softens and shallot is translucent.

Add arugula to a large salad bowl. Add orange slices, vinegar and orange juice and mix thoroughly. Add in asparagus, cheese and bacon, tossing to coat and mix the entire salad. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

I never like being a grown up when rabbit food is involved.

91 Responses to “Did I Shave My Asparagus For This?”

The Teenage Taste — April 26, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Ahhh! Veggie overload! :-P
    Juuuuust kidding, this salad looks really good, actually. I love how you added bacon drippings! :-D

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 26, 2011 @ 7:01 am

I’m totally feeling this recipe. You can have my bacon. ;-)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — April 26, 2011 @ 7:05 am

I looooove asparagus, but have never tried shaving it before – it makes for such a pretty presentation! The orange segments and juice must be the perfect flavor compliment.

Blog is the New Blag — April 26, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I’ve yet to try shaving asparagus, seems like a lot of work!!!! Look at my white asparagus recipe today…. You’ll like it!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean — April 26, 2011 @ 7:06 am

bahahah…loved that song in high school :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — April 26, 2011 @ 7:16 am

Hey! I’m eating asparagus right now! Though it’s not shaved or covered in bacon grease. I’m missing out :(

And did you say potato chip casserole…?

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — April 26, 2011 @ 7:19 am

While asparagus was my nemisis as a child, I now embrace the lovely green spears! Even got the boyfriend to eat it too.. sothis is something we will have to try!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 26, 2011 @ 7:20 am

That’s pretty cool! Whenever I use the word “cool” I feel like an awkward tween who is trying to impress her friends.

But anyways, I’ve never thought of shaving asparagus. It’s not even hairy.

Three-Cookies — April 26, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Or perhaps call it bacon salad with greens on the side!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 26, 2011 @ 7:22 am

I’ve never had shaved asparagus before. Such a pretty dish :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 26, 2011 @ 7:31 am

Hahaha…I LOVED Deanna Carter. I still belt out Strawberry Wine when it comes on the radio (which is sadly close to never).

This looks great! I’m always looking for new ways to eat asparagus!

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I know, I do too. But I rarely hear it!

Heather — April 26, 2011 @ 7:37 am

i absolutely adore asparagus! this sounds amazing, perfect for warm weather (if it ever comes to colorado), and the bacon of course is always awesome

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 26, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I am cracking up thinking about wanting to shave your legs and listening to Strawberry Wine — sounds like we had the same life!

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:58 am

It’s true!

Gen — April 26, 2011 @ 7:46 am

This looks really yummy!!!! :D Now all I need is some asparagus…..hmm

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 26, 2011 @ 7:48 am

I’ve never shaved asparagus before, I’m pretty sure I’d slice off my finger!

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Yes… be careful! Shave is away from your body.

Blond Duck — April 26, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I wonder what happened to Deanna Carter.

Kristen — April 26, 2011 @ 7:59 am

You, dear, crack me up!

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Thanks Kristen!

Erica — April 26, 2011 @ 8:08 am

oh my gosh- I totally forgot about Seventeen magazine. Loved it. The salad looks gorgeous. I always love seeing how you sneak bacon into recipes ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — April 26, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Love shaved asparagus!

Shannon — April 26, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I totally owned that CD… well a burned copy at least. Strawberry Wine MAY have been played on repeat quite often.

As far as shaved asparagus goes… I love the idea! I made white asparagus the other night and was surprised to read that all of the recipes I found said to peel it before cooking.

I love the combination of bacon, asparagus and arugula together! I’ll definitely have to try this.

Riss — April 26, 2011 @ 8:19 am

You?? Salad!? I almost fell off the bed. This does sound fantastic, though.

You should try putting the salad ON your pizza… rather than beside it. Have you ever eaten at Mellow Mushroom? They have a pizza topped with Caesar Salad. Sounds bizarre, but it’s amazing. COVERING all the cheese with healthy green stuff should totally ease a guilty conscience, right?

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

I have! I actually like that. Just made some yesterday. Will share later. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 26, 2011 @ 8:27 am

A salad..and of all things…shaved asparagus. Right up there with shaved brussles spouts. I give you props girl..for a woman who doesnt go ga-ga over green food, this is a bold move salad…right up my alley, sans bacon!

Cookbook Queen — April 26, 2011 @ 8:31 am

I am not a fan of country music either…but I know almost every country song (new and old) in existence. That’s what happens when you marry a man who has lived in Arkansas his entire life. Sigh…long road trips can be….excruciating.

Your asparagus looks T-t-t-tasty-tastay (that was my way of balancing out the universe by throwing a Fergie Ferg reference into the mix–please forgive)

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 8:55 am

No worries… I need some Fergie after all that country.

Kim in MD — April 26, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Thanks for the laughs this morning! The salad looks amazing, Jessica! I’m proud of you for eating some veggies after all of that sugar! ;-)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 26, 2011 @ 9:06 am

oh you’re already half way to the dark side, it’s a done deal ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 26, 2011 @ 9:21 am

I am certainly not a country fan either, but my 2 roommates are totally into it so slowly I’ve become a little more tolerant. LOVE the sounds of this salad!

DessertForTwo — April 26, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Bahahaha! I loved opening my reader this morning to see ‘did I shave my asparagus for this?’ Cracked me up at 6am! Love it!

Tricia — April 26, 2011 @ 9:51 am

We have an asparagus bed that produces truckloads for about 4 weeks in May. I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it. Thanks for this one.

Can’t really do country, but I love me some alt-country any time.

Lucy@The Sweet Touch — April 26, 2011 @ 10:10 am

I had my first shaved asparagus at a restaurant over the weekend. It’s good stuff! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Robyn {Planet Byn} — April 26, 2011 @ 10:10 am

total blast from the past! i LOVED that song in grade 12 and i was not a country fan at all! i think i stole the CD from my parents and listened to it on my discman! hahaha.

sprinkling of sugar — April 26, 2011 @ 10:15 am

What a delicious crunch to add to a perfect salad, thanks for the genius suggestion!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — April 26, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I just recently shaved asparagus for pizza, it was so pretty! The salad looks gorgeous and I love the title of this post, hilarious! I loved that c.d. when it came out.

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — April 26, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I saw this on twitter this morning and thought, wow, that is a lot of vegetables for Jessica! Then I came to your blog and saw the bacon. And it all made sense. The world was right again.

:) Looks great!

Ashley — April 26, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Genius. Yes, that is you! So pretty!! It reminds me of the shaved brussel sprout salad. Love the addition of orange. I secretly shaved my legs for quite some time..hahahaa

• Jessica — April 26th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Me too!! My mom said I couldn’t, so I secretly broke out the razor for the first day of school.

• Ashley — April 26th, 2011 @ 11:01 am

I may or may not have used my mom’s razor…I didn’t know that was bad, lol.

Victoria — April 26, 2011 @ 11:01 am

I now have “Strawberry Wine” stuck in my head. Oh, the memories. Consuming strawberry boone’s in the back of a Z71 at party in the woods. Yeah, I grew up in Alabama. We didn’t have anything else to do.

“I still remember when 30 was old.” – Oh my God, I am 30 now. Wow.

Salad looks awesome. Bacon is now my new obsession, thanks to you! ;-)

Pudding Pie Lane — April 26, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Love this post (and your blogging style)! I would shave my asparagus for this. Maybe next time you can try it on top of your pizza instead of a side? (A variation :P)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — April 26, 2011 @ 11:34 am

what a beautiful dish! love, love asparagus this time of year.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — April 26, 2011 @ 11:47 am

The shaved asparagus makes such a nice presentation! Arugula is my favorite leafy green of the moment, so this salad WILL be made asap! :)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — April 26, 2011 @ 11:49 am

I only ate half of a banana for breakfast in an attempt to fight the post-Easter love handles. My stomach has been grumbling since 10 o’ clock. I’m sure I would feel better right now if I would have drunk a glass of bacon grease with it. Or at least eaten a jar of nutella or something.

Steph @321delish — April 26, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Wow, I’ve never thought to shave asparagus before! This looks great!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 26, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Mmm, this looks so yummy, healthy and refreshing! My butt certainly needs healthy after a very indulgent Easter. :) Thanks, Jess!

Natalia - a side of simple — April 26, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Since I’m sure the Easter bunny eats his salads just as much as his candy, I’m thinking I can roll with this “rabbit food.” Well, just so long as the candy and chocolate part is kept on equal balance…

sippitysup — April 26, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

I usually read quietly in the background, but I gotta pipe in here and say. Please, pass the plate! GREG

Laura @FoodSnobSTL — April 26, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

The title cracks me up! I’ve never had shaved asparagus, but looks like I should try it.

Kelly — April 26, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

It’s funny, this is the second shaved asparagus dish in my google reader today. Clearly I am seeing a trend. :-)

Chris's Gourmet Fashion — April 26, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

WOW! What an incredible salad. I love this, what a great idea to shave the asparagus.

Maria — April 26, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Beautiful salad!

Ricki — April 26, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Haha! Best post title ever! :)

Katie — April 26, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Yessss for veggies. ;-)

I LOVED the song Strawberry Wine when I was younger…only a couple of years ago did I realize what that song is really talking about. oh well, I sang it naively and proudly when I was just a kiddo.

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign — April 26, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

“The pants-fitting choice” hahaha, well-said!

1. Pingback: » Making Your Mother’s Day Keep It Sweet

2. Pingback: Girl Eats World » Girl Links World (vol 5): Mini Recipe Round Up

3. Pingback: Friday Pin-Ups: Asparagus Fever | Crumb: A Food Blog

4. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: 21 Arugula Recipes That Are Fun and Flavorful - EcoSalon : EcoSalon | Conscious Culture and Fashion

6. Pingback: Shaved Asparagus and Whipped Ricotta Pizza | How Sweet It Is