Since it’s almost summer and way past spring and the sun has only shone for approximately 4.6 seconds since March 21st and there is so much water pouring from the sky that I’ve inflated an inner tube and decided I’m going to float to the nearest island, I’ve officially declared it milkshake time.

Nectarine milkshake time. With mint. Nectarine and mint. Sound weird? I know. It’s not. Just ask Bath and Body Works. They make soap with that scent.  Foaming soap. The best kind of soap.

A soap so deliciously smelly that it coerced me into going to the store and finding nectarines on sale. Mint wasn’t on sale. Do you know what fresh mint looks like in April in Pittsburgh? When it’s supposed to be warm and sunny and scented with hyacinths but instead looks like death and drear and everything gray? With a snowflake thrown in for good measure?

Mint looks likes it had a rough night. One too many hits of the bottle if you ask me.  It’s black and blue and brown and wilted and shriveled and looks like it’s been stepped on. What’s worse? Dirty, old mint or that I made a milkshake based on suds?

But since this is my favorite soap scent, I made the oddball milkshake after searching for pretty mint all day long. And since you’re my favorite person (yes, you!), I made it for you. I love you so much that I whirled it up first in the case that it tasted like utter crud… just so you wouldn’t have to drink it. And I would suffer through every last slurp vowing to never wash my hands again.

But luckily for us it tasted delightful; fruity and minty and fresh and invigorating. And luckily for human kind, I will continued to wash my hands.

Maybe if I had friends you wouldn’t have to be subjected to my weirdness? Just a thought.

Nectarine Mint Milkshakes

serves 2

2 cups milk

1 1/2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream

4 nectarines, chopped

10 mint leaves, chopped

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a blender and whirl until smooth. Garnish with additional mint and chunks of nectarine.

Wanna be my friend? I’ll bribe you with cookies.

103 Responses to “Nectarine Mint Milkshakes.”

VeggieGirl — April 18, 2011 @ 7:12 am

VERY intriguing shake!

And yes, please bribe me with cookies! :D

Lauren — April 18, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Wow, nectarine and mint! What an interesting flavor combo, sounds yummy!

Debbie B. (DebaRooRoo) — April 18, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Sounds so refreshing!! I want one for breakfast right now.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 18, 2011 @ 7:21 am

That’s my kind of milkshake – I like chocolate and mints, so I’m guessing I would like nectarine and mint as well!

Jenni — April 18, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Oh my.

This sounds gooooooooooooood.

(oh, and I’ll also totally take the cookies)

Erica — April 18, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Nectarine and mint- I wouldn’t have thought to put these two together! The milkshake looks gorgeous all mixed up. I’m hoping spring hits y’all hard and soon! The weather has just been so nutty recently.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 18, 2011 @ 7:29 am

Now that looks absolutely amazing! I can’t wait for it to get hot though since I am so cold natured, I have to time my frozen treats for when I am actually sweating to death. I am so ready for it this year!

Haleigh — April 18, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Fantastic-looking smoothie! I would’ve never thought to combine nectarine and mint. But somehow, it just seems to work!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — April 18, 2011 @ 7:32 am

Mmmm Milkshakes.. I have such a craving for a creamy, cold, thick (but not too thick) milkshake now!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 18, 2011 @ 7:33 am

That’s a unique flavor combo! It looks delicious.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 18, 2011 @ 7:33 am

Yes, I think all the rain we’ve gotten as of late makes it milkshake time ALL the TIME. This milkshake would bring all the boys to the yard. :-)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — April 18, 2011 @ 7:36 am

I hear you on the mint thing. Unfortunately Minnesota is not much better (possibly worse?)!

Julie @ Shining From Within — April 18, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Mmmm. Bath & body works should make edible soaps. They always smell so frackin good!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 18, 2011 @ 7:46 am

This looks/sounds so refreshing! And I love to see another Magic Bullet user :)

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:20 am

My Magic Bullet seems to be dying. I think some of the liquid leaks while it’s blending and I don’t know how to fix that now… has this ever happened to you??

• Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 18th, 2011 @ 10:40 am

No that hasn’t happened to me — maybe your cup has a small crack in it?

Char — April 18, 2011 @ 7:59 am

You had me at mint milkshake!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 18, 2011 @ 8:04 am

beautiful!

both the taste/flavors and the photography. so light, spring-ish, perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 18, 2011 @ 8:11 am

What a unique combination – it sounds great! I hear ya on the sun only shining for approximately 4.6 seconds… it SNOWED here yesterday! I’m going to try not to care though… I’ll just eat watermelon and drink milkshakes instead. :)

francesca @ oral hcg — April 18, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Wow, and your inspiration is the Bath and Body Works soap! That’s so cool. :D This milkshake recipe will definitely become a hit when I make it on Friday. :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — April 18, 2011 @ 8:24 am

I am never one to say no to milkshake time! It makes sense that these flavors would go well together but I never would have thought of it. Loving your photos!

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Thanks Lauren!

Kim in MD — April 18, 2011 @ 8:26 am

This looks delicious! You don’t have to bribe me with cookies to be your friend! ;-)

Hannah — April 18, 2011 @ 8:38 am

Yes yes! During summer I was making white nectarine, banana, soymilk, vanilla extract, and honey smoothies all the time. Why didn’t I throw in ice cream? Silly me!

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

That combo sounds incredible!!

Abby — April 18, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Yup, sounds weird. But knowing you… I’m sure it’s delicious!!! I love scent of Neutrogena’s “Rainbath”… It’s amazing. Make a smoothie like that? (kidding.)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — April 18, 2011 @ 8:50 am

What an interesting combination! And yes, I’m tired of the gray/brown ugliness of Pittsburgh. Bring on Spring!

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Seriously.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 18, 2011 @ 8:57 am

I love fresh mint! This looks incredible.

Dani Marie — April 18, 2011 @ 9:00 am

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it ~ along with all the other amazing recipes you have here ~ so glad I just found your blog :) Your commentary cracks me up too….. OF COURSE I’ll be your friend if you bribe me with cookies!

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Thank you!! :)

Mandy — April 18, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I just stumbled across your blog from a friend’s sharing in google reader – I love you, you’re hilarious and your photos are great and ideas; even better! Don’t worry, it’s not weird to talk to the internet – or fantasize about bath and body works scents (the island pineapple had pina coladas on my mind for days!)

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Thanks so much Mandy!

Kacy — April 18, 2011 @ 9:10 am

I actually didn’t think it sounded weird at all. Kind of reminds me of a peach mojito, which sounds delicious right now. Yes, at 8 a.m.

• Jessica — April 18th, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Oh my gosh you are right… it sort of tasted like a mix between a peach bellini and a mojito!

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — April 18, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Doesn’t sound weird to me, but refreshing!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — April 18, 2011 @ 9:31 am

I saw the title of this and I was totally going to ask you if you got the idea from Bath and Body Works. I have that soap in my kitchen right now! :-)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 18, 2011 @ 9:34 am

ohh what an unexpected combo!

Looks lovely for spring :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — April 18, 2011 @ 9:40 am

That looks fantastic! I have to say I would never have put that combo together myself…but if it feels like Spring, then I am in!

Krystina (Organically Me) — April 18, 2011 @ 9:41 am

You should bring that milkshake to my yard.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — April 18, 2011 @ 9:44 am

That shot of the vanilla ice cream is gorgeous!

Kelly — April 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Ah…milkshakes…bring on summer!!!

Cookbook Queen — April 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Weather here in Arkansas is not so great either. Mostly a few pretty days with lots of rain and tornado scares in between.

Your milkshake photos are gorg!!

(Yes, gorg. I like to drop the last part of words off. It makes me sound cooler)

I love how creative you are with your recipes–this sounds delicious and refreshing!! I”ll have to remember this one for whenever the sun finally decides to peek out.

Julie @SavvyEats — April 18, 2011 @ 9:52 am

I’m going to take your word for it that this combo is fantastic, and bookmark this recipe to make when my mint is ready to be picked!

Shanna, Like Banana — April 18, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Those look so pretty!

And oddly enough, that song is running through my head “my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, and I’m, like it’s better than yours” ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — April 18, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Sounds creamy dreamy. Decadent and rich, yet zesty and refreshing!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — April 18, 2011 @ 10:18 am

So dang beautiful. I swear you make the prettiest food :)

Anne @ Baking Me — April 18, 2011 @ 10:20 am

What an interesting combo, it looks delicious. I really like those cups too, they are super cute :)

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — April 18, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I don’t have any mint…but I DO have thin mint girl scout cookies…*wheels turning*

Thanks for sharing!

Natalia - a side of simple — April 18, 2011 @ 10:33 am

I think our relationship has moved far beyond the “friend” level. I’m not sure if you should make your husband aware of this or not… ;)

Annie — April 18, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Hm… I never think to put fruit in milkshakes. Probably because I’m so focused on the chocolate or eggnog or baileys variety. This sounds very refreshing, though!

Christina — April 18, 2011 @ 11:04 am

That sounds awesome. I adore mint. Adore it! And I’m with you on the weather…it’s SNOWING today. What is that about!?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 18, 2011 @ 11:05 am

This looks absolutely beautiful! I love the little flecks of fruit and mint throughout :)

Euniece[innerpeacehealthytreast&runningfeet] — April 18, 2011 @ 11:06 am

this looks incredible. my mouth just watered.

Ashley — April 18, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Wow! I can’t believe you found nectarines right now. One of my favorite foods for sure. I tried putting mint in a green monster once before and it was a total fail. Totally trust you on this one though!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 18, 2011 @ 11:16 am

This sounds like such a refreshing combo for summer. I’d never have thought to put the two together, but YUM!

Tulika — April 18, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Not sure what’s better…the milkshake based off of a soap flavor, or the friend bribage. ;) (I’d totally take you up on that cookie offer, by the way). Loving the looks of that milkshake, though. Yum!!

Katryn — April 18, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Wow! What a unique and tasty sounding combination! Looks delicious…love the creativity.

1. Pingback: What to Read Wednesday « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices