Do you know what it’s like to stand barefoot in your kitchen and eat freshly bubbling caramel sauce off of a spoon?

Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake I howsweeteats.com

Neither do I. Because I wore socks.

But I do have taste buds so burnt that even a whole jalapeno couldn’t bring me to shed a tear.

Back in the day of purple silk shirts and paisley vests, after I’d spend 3 hours hopping over my Skip It in my glittery pink jelly shoes, my mom and I used to make this cake that we called turtle cake.  Now that I’m an immature 28 year old, it has dawned on me that this cake is probably what some refer to as better-than-sex cake.  Back then, the only thing that I assumed was better than sex was the new Lisa Frank folder I bought at Ames.

Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake I howsweeteats.com

It was evident that I spent a little too much time eating this turtle cake – with the fluffy chocolate cloud that we poked holes in with the end of a wooden spoon, covering it in jarred caramel sauce that sunk into the cake crevices and topping it with a fluffy whipped cream and a sprinkling of crushed Heath bars – as my favorite rolled jean shorts began to fray and I’d start to resemble a cased sausage. The cake was best chilled, and long after I’d changed into my New Kids on the Block nightgown I’d find myself creeping towards the fridge, opening the door and plunging my fork into the cool, gooey treat.

Clearly times haven’t changed much.

Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake I howsweeteats.com

Except I finally made my own caramel. It was easy. And creamy. And holy heavens was it hot. I used it to drench a chocolate cake that I’ve made before and devoured in a matter of hours. Not helpful to that whole cased sausage look.

Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake I howsweeteats.com

Double Chocolate Loaf Cake

from Nigella’s chocolate loaf cake

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup cocoa

1 1/3 cups sugar

1 1/2 sticks soft unsalted butter

2 eggs

1 tablespoon good-quality vanilla extract

1/3 cup sour cream

1/2 cup boiling water

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, putting in a baking sheet as you do so.

Add the flour, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream into the processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides and process again while streaming in boiling water.. Remove lid and fold in chocolate chips.

Scrape and pour the batter into a buttered and floured loaf pan and put into the oven. Bake for 50-55 minutes. When ready, the loaf will be risen and split down the middle. Let cake cool, then poke holes throughout the top with a fork or knife. Press all the way down into the cake so the caramel sauce can sink in.

Salty Caramel Sauce

caramel from Ina Garten

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup water

1 1/4 cups heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon sea salt, crushed until fine

Mix water and sugar in a saucepan and heat over low heat without stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high, allowing the mixture to come to a boil. This will take about 5-7 minutes, and you can occasionally swirl the pan to stir. Once a golden amber color, remove heat and add cream, vanilla and salt – it will bubble up. Turn heat back down to low and stir continuously until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let sit at room temperature for 2-4 hours where it will thicken.

Once cool, drizzle over chocolate cake, making sure to hit all of the poked holes so the caramel sinks down in. Serve with additional caramel.

Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake I howsweeteats.com

It.is.good. Almost better than a Lisa Frank folder, if you know what I mean.

140 Responses to “Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake.”

Greta — April 28, 2011 @ 11:07 am

Wow! This looks amazing…. I’ve been searching for the perfect salted caramel sauce forever, thank you for posting this one – can’t wait to try it out :)

Melissa — April 28, 2011 @ 11:29 am

I want this. now.

janetha @ meals & moves — April 28, 2011 @ 11:29 am

i think i need to stop reading your blog this week while i do my no sugar thing.

Tennille H — April 28, 2011 @ 11:35 am

I have made that chocolate loaf cake a few different times and it was awesome. Girl, this takes it over the top! I can’t wait to try it!

Elise — April 28, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Oh.Buh.Geez. This looks fantastic!

Btw, I’ll be at the NKTOBSB concert (FRONT ROW!!) when it comes to Houston! Be jealous. :)

Gina — April 28, 2011 @ 11:45 am

Oh Lisa Frank, how I was so obsessed with every sticker you ever made…I HAD to have them all, not to mention the folders, pens, etc!!!

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I forgot about the stickers!!

Heather — April 28, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Oh lordy. Lisa Frank, NKOTB and salted caramel in one post? In loooove!

I need a moment alone with this cake please.

Tricia — April 28, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Hahaha wow jelly shoes, NKOTB and Lisa Frank folders…ohhhh memories!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — April 28, 2011 @ 11:55 am

This looks SO good (as usual with everything you create) and I’m trying to see everything I’ve missed with your blog…and Lisa Frank folders?! I used to love those! :D

jess — April 28, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

this sounds incredible! cannot wait to try this recipe :)

ps. the Lisa Frank folder comment just took me WAY back

Ashley — April 28, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Oh my gosh…if I wasn’t going to Cancun in a week I would be running out the door to pick up supplies for this! We’re in the process of moving and when we have a housewarming party this will be on the menu! Skip its were pretty much the coolest things ever…excuse me…are pretty much the coolest thing ever!

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

Pack me in your suitcase?

Erin — April 28, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

This is my favorite combination of flavors! And now you’ve given me yet a new way to make it.
    And yes, I do know what it’s like to eat bubbling caramel off the stove. A bad idea. But it just seems like such a good one before it burns your tongue off.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — April 28, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Did you know you can caramelize white chocolate? And then pour it over a cake like this. And then still put the caramel sauce on it.

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

Learn something new everyday!

Natalia - a side of simple — April 28, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

And THIS is why I love you. It’s also why I may not mind if it’s not warm enough for bathing suits just yet…if YOU know what I mean :)

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

I’m not minding one bit either…

Kelly — April 28, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

I loved Lisa Frank. Thanks for the flashback. And of course you know what it’s like to stand around in your kitchen licking caramel sauce off a spoon. I wouldn’t have expected anything different from you. :-)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 28, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

Mmm I love that you use sour cream with the chocolate base gives it that slight tang. mmm mmm! :)

Anne @ Baking Me — April 28, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Oh I remember Lisa Frank, I probably still have an old Lisa Frank trapper keeper some where in my parent’s house. This cake looks so delicious! I love salted caramel :)

Katie — April 28, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Ahaha, I love all the 80s references (and your Lisa Frank euphemism) in this post. I made my own caramel a few weeks ago for some brownies, and I burned the snot out of my tongue, too. I’m pretty sure it was worth it.

• Jessica — April 28th, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Always worth it!

Lauren — April 28, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

This is my favorite cake that you make actually…and I can’t wait to try it like this…oh…and LISA FRANK!!!! HA!

Tina @ My Life as a Mrs — April 28, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

Chocolate + Caramel… Say no more – I’m already in love. :)

Jess — April 28, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Oh dear god!!! I need to make this cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be doing it this weekend! Looks delish!!!! x

Cookbook Queen — April 28, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

I used to wonder how on earth anyone could call a cake by such a name, but after many years of marriage….um yeah. Not ALWAYS, mind you, but SOMETIMES I just prefer cake.

Looks amazing as always!! :)

Lauren-HungryDancer — April 28, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Every time you post these recipes I go into a dream like state where I pretend to be eating them….I’m not kidding.

Monica — April 28, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

I can actually say yes to that first question! That cakes looks fabulous!!

Chelsey (Cookteen) — April 28, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

yes I do know what it is like to be eating salted caramel off a spoon with bare feet. Purely amazing :)
    oh and I had all the cool school supplies and backpacks, my dad works for a company that designs them. I might be 18 an still use a “spidey” notebook ;)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — April 28, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Holy MOLY! I am making this-I love caramel!!

Sarah B — April 28, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

That cake looks so AMAZING! My mom made the same cake that yours did only instead of caramel sauce, she would use sweetened condensed milk. It was a sugar bomb and I loved it!

Sherry Greek — April 28, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Holy Yum. Holy Yum. Holy Yum.

meg @ pinkgiggles — April 28, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

I just died laughing at the lisa frank reference

Katherine — April 28, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

I don’t believe that you look like a cased sausage, yet I do not know how that is possible with all these delicious recipes you post. How do you do it? Really? Do you have super powers?

Heather @ girlyeverafter — April 28, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I’m in love with this post. That is all.

Mrs. Jen B — April 28, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

I don’t know. I’m a huge fan of Lisa Frank folders. I can’t get enough of them, in fact. ;)

Megan @ Megacravings — April 28, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

YUMMM you had me at the title of the post. Because of you, I have been baking more! Something I never thought I would enjoy… I don’t know if I should thank you or slap you.

Kocinera — April 28, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

Woah!! That cake looks so decadent and delicious! I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe. :D

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today — April 28, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning Ames in this post. I jsut had about 10,000 flashbacks to wandering the aisles at age three….

Oh, and…. OHMIGOD THAT CAKE.WUT??????

WenDee Riffe — April 28, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

good golleeeee guurl~~what are ya’ trying to do to me?? i am in love with this cake—already and i have not even made it yet!!! your so darn funeeee that i laugh and giggle the entire time i read some of your posts!!! keep up the AWESOME writing and FANTASTIC recipes!!!!!!!!!!woootwooot!!!

Moni'sMeals — April 28, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

are you kidding me! good lord and I just must have a bite. So funny that you have carmel feet. ;) this is just a great recipe. :)

I don’t know if I am brave enough to make this, because how do you stop on one slice?!?!?

Serena — April 28, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

Great, now my sweet tooth is acting up. I just HAVE to make this salty caramel sauce. Have. to.

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses — April 28, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Turtle cake? I love turtles even more than Lisa Frank folders and LF folders were the greatest brightest thing ever! This cake looks like something I need in my life.

Tracy — April 28, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

Haha, my mom just dropped off a bunch of my old stuff at Easter, including several Lisa Frank folders. ;-) This cake looks amazing…and I am inspired to finally make my own caramel sauce!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — April 28, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Can I move in and have you cook for me? Our husband’s can share their love for silly things like Nascar, Wrestling and large amounts of meat. :)

mary — April 28, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

holy moley. these pictures could make me drool at my desk!

Honey, Honey, What's Cooking — April 28, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

i would trade up sex for this cake, anyday! :-)
    Looks amazing. I LOVE CARAMEL!

The Faithful Wife — April 28, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Better than Sex cake has been a staple in my family for years. I have a 7 year old brother. He calls this cake “sexy cake”
    we let him :) Because, let’s face it, the cake is so delicious it’s basically sexy :)

sophistimom — April 29, 2011 @ 2:46 am

I want to lick the top of that cake. But it was the title that hooked me. Salt Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake?? It brought a tear to my eye.

Erin — April 29, 2011 @ 9:52 am

YOU ARE SOOOO FUNNY!!!!! HAHA!!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — April 29, 2011 @ 11:09 am

I had a hot pink Skip It, sparkley purple jelly sandels, AND all the Lisa Frank tiger and unicorn folders. Yeah, I was pretty awesome. And this cake looks absolutely amazing!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — April 29, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Oh. My. Word. How did I not see this post yesterday?? This cake looks incredible!!

Jason — April 29, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I was showing recipe to one of our Pastry Chefs. She wants to know about the shoes. Who makes them and where did you get them from? I love salted caramel! I also love salted hot fudge too!

• Jessica — April 29th, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Hahaha… I got them at Nordstrom – they are Vince Camuto!

Erin — April 30, 2011 @ 3:39 am

Ah, nostalgia. Lisa Frank, jelly shoes… I may be a child of the ’90s, but I can relate to such girlhood whimsy. And my sweet tooth can certainly relate to this beauty of a cake/bread!!!