Will you still love me if I do this?

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon I howsweeteats.com

How about this?

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon I howsweeteats.com

I’m hoping so, considering you loved me after this and this. I think. By the way, I enjoy this unconditional crush we’ve got going on.

Believe it or not, and judging from today’s title I’m sure you’re teetering on “not,” I have a plethora of healthy meals to share with you.

I swear. That’s actually what we eat… like 80% of the time. Sort of.

I just can’t.get.them.out.

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon I howsweeteats.com

There is something utterly gratifying and spectacular about creating a recipe that makes you feel the need to go to confession. A cookie that makes you feel like an adulterous glutton, a chewy round of peanut butter laced with chocolate candied bacon that feels so wrong but tastes so right. A snack that lands at the top of the list for thisiswhyyourefat. A sweet and salty fusion that sends many into a panic, who claim that you’re the reason “all Americans are fat” and this particular cookie deems you responsible for all childhood obesity occurring after May 17th, 2011. Something a little freakish about putting pork in a cookie, I admit. It happens people. Forgive me for I have sinned.

Don’t fight the chocolate bacon. Just give in.

And don’t ask why my brain decides to come up with these things – I find it nearly as convoluted as you do, and I have to live with it. It’s pure torture I tell you.

Recipes like this are just so much better than green stuff. That’s my argument. And a fact.

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon I howsweeteats.com

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon

cookies adapted form this recipe

makes 12-15 cookies

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup peanut butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

4 slices cinnamon-sugared candied bacon

1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dip candied bacon slices in melted chocolate and let come to room temperature while preparing the dough. If needed, stick them in the fridge for a few minutes.

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy – about 3-4 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, mixing until combined. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until just combined and dough forms. Crumble bacon and fold it into dough. Drop tablespoon-sized dough balls on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon I howsweeteats.com

I’m done. For now.

136 Responses to “Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon.”

Leah @ Why Deprive? — May 17, 2011 @ 11:24 am

These sound amazing. Would it make me a bad person if I said I want to make these for my family – except I wouldnt tell them about the bacon. I think it would be more fun that way. :)

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I do too. :)

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — May 17, 2011 @ 11:31 am

You are seriously tempting me from my Paleo diet with all of this wonderful chocolate, peanut butter and bacon! :)

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Sorry! Sort of.

Katrina — May 17, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

haha you kill me! This looks very cool. Neat recipe!

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — May 17, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Amen! If bacon is wrong then I don’t want to be right.

Val — May 17, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Ah…you had me at bacon! In fact, I saw the first photo first, then read the last word of the title, then discovered it was a cookie.

Cupcake Activist — May 17, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Yum, yum, YUM! I have to try this. I’ve been afraid to try bacon in a recipe, but I think I just need to do it.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 17, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

It’s the return of the bacon! As big of a fan of salty n sweet combos as I am, I still haven’t tried bacon and chocolate. I need to get on this! But when do I ever buy bacon??

Brooke @ bittersweetb — May 17, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

I have a big thing of bacon in my fridge and I think its time to take it out and bake!

EatLiveRun — May 17, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

i love you. we are soulmates.

Alexa @ Simple Eats — May 17, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

I’m bowing to you with this one.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — May 17, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

haha, thisiswhyyourefat….were you really on it? Aaaand now I’m craving dessert. Shocking, I know. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — May 17, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

I keep seeing all these wonderful candied bacon recipes on your blog. Question is–why have I not made any of them yet?!

Alaina — May 17, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I will die a delicious death because of your recipes. These look AMAZING!!

Kim in MD — May 17, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Oh my gosh…I have waiting for you to make a cookie with bacon! This looks sinful (in a good way)! :-)

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily — May 17, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

I’m not even sure where to start with those cookies…brilliant, delicious, mind boggling, and I want it.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — May 17, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

I have to admit~this actually looks yummy! 0_o haha

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — May 17, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Oh my good gravy. You have got to be kidding me. These are ridiculous in the best way possible.

Katie — May 17, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

You never cease to amaze me. One day I’ll get around to going to the grocery store, picking up some bacon, and making these cookies – and then Meeker will kiss my feet in gratitude. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the heck out of them, too.

Naomi — May 17, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

yes I will always love you :)

Vanessa — May 17, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

I’ve made candied bacon and glazed bacon, but chocolate candied bacon? Whoaaaa. I need some in my life.

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

I know, I sort of thought it might be overkill, but… it wasn’t.

Gourmantine — May 17, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

The words naughty and sinful are jumping into my mind right now! :)

Lauren — May 17, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

I’ve been waiting for you to do something like this! I also thought it was worth mentioning that during this huge street festival in my hometown last year, I had chicken fried bacon that you dip in ranch… three times in one weekend. It was heaven and something that definitely makes me think of you :)

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

That sure does sound like my heaven!

Serena — May 17, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

This recipe sort of makes me sad that I don’t eat bacon. Would the fake vegan bacon work?

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I honestly have no idea, I’ve never tried or worked with fake bacon before!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — May 17, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Another brilliant creation!! A few months ago, I would NEVER have even considered using bacon in a dessert, but now I can’t seem to stop thinking about it!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 17, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

You’ve gone over the deep end. There’s no saving you now.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 17, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I still haven’t made that bacon … the shame.

I promise I still will!!!

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Promise!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — May 17, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

This is insane… ly delicious looking!!! This recipe pic should be the cover of your first cookbook… which you should definitely be writing (if you aren’t) bc you’re food is seriously so good. I’d buy it, just sayin’ :)

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

You are the best.

Christina — May 17, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

I love it when you create new and improved over the top recipes. I don’t know how you do it!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — May 17, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

Making these for my cousin stat. Her diet consists of cupcakes, cookies, cereal, and bacon. I think she’ll find these somewhat edible. ;)

amy — May 17, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

oh my goodness…looks amazing! i love your obsession with bacon!

Hannah @ PalmBeachRunner — May 17, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

sweet and salty cravings SATISFIED!!!!

Sarah — May 18, 2011 @ 12:34 am

sick! just sick! This is freaky awesome!

Rachel — May 18, 2011 @ 12:44 am

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!! Oh my word, I am making these tommorrow! I will NOT tell my husband or son that I put bacon in them until after they take a bite and tell me how they love it. LOL!!!

Connie — May 18, 2011 @ 2:49 am

my friend, you take extreme to whole ‘nother level!

Maria — May 18, 2011 @ 4:36 am

OH, Sweet Heaven…. I’ve GOT to mak these ASAP!!! I will surprise my crowd and only reveal the divine bacon secret after they’ve finished a couple each, ha ha ;) I mean, come on, they SHOULD be able to define it, right?
    Thanks, Jess!

Kelly — May 18, 2011 @ 4:54 am

You are a genius

Sammi — May 18, 2011 @ 6:34 am

Wow, I just made peanut butter cookies with bacon last week, and everyone looked at me like I was nuts (but almost every single one of them loved them). Didn’t think to chocolate coat the bacon though =D Bacon Synchronicity!

Audrey — May 18, 2011 @ 6:36 am

Couldn’t resist… These cookies are cooling on my counter, and I’m ready to die from an heart attack. Totally worth it!

Gayle215 — May 18, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Please don’t change. Who needs healthy recipes! I love you.

Amy @ A Little Nosh — May 18, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

I don’t even know what to say. Wow. Talk about unexpected pairings! I bet it would be good with some banana in there as well. Like an Elvis sandwich.

NotJustAnotherJennifer — May 18, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Oh…my…God… my husband will DIE when I tell him I found this little drop of heaven.

Hayley — May 18, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

These would be AMAZING warm out of the oven with a little maple or praline ice cream. Holy bacon, that is what dreams are made of…not that I would turn down one (or 18) of these babies on their own!

Tiffany Michele — May 19, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

I actually made these today. I used an extra piece of bacon in there as well! They’re interesting. I’m more of a chocolate person so next time I’ll probably put in extra chunks but the flavor is awesome.

bill — May 20, 2011 @ 11:28 am

i just came

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — May 21, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

Yes, my love is solidified. I went from crush to the next level.

I have made chocolate covered bacon several times before but never thought to make them into cookies! I’m not sure if enough of the bacon would survive long enough though……

Samantha — May 24, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

I made these tonight. I’ve eaten 3 cookies so far…. and I’m still not sold! It might be the smokiness of the bacon? I don’t know what I did wrong!! They looked beautiful and smelled amazing. Salty/sweet happens to be my favorite flavor combination too. HELP!!

• Jessica — May 24th, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

Hmm… I’m not quite sure what you aren’t liking? Do you not like the bacon with the sweet? I love bacon with sweets so I am used to it but yes – it still tastes like bacon!

• Samantha — May 24th, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

I think its the smokiness of the bacon that I don’t like. This is the first dessert I’ve made with bacon, so maybe I’ll just need to eat the whole batch to get used to the flavor! It was an adventure to make it, so we’ll see what my co-workers think tomorrow! Thanks for sharing the recipe though! Can’t wait to try some others :)

Diana — May 30, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

I just made this! They are delicious, but some changes occurred. I used 60% cacao Ghirardelli chips to melt and dip the bacon in (bacon was uncured smokehouse). I put it in the fridge to cool and harden but when it took it out, it started melting (always happens when I melt these chips!) so I still chopped it up and put it in the batter. So the batter has a marble look to it, mixing the chocolate and the peanut butter batter. Not complaining! Still delicious. Also, I added some sea salt to the top of each cookie before I baked them since the bacon I used isn’t that salty. amazing! (Got the sea salt idea from Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookie recipe.)
    The bacon was so easy to make! These are delicious! Thank you!

Shira Notrika — June 2, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

I fucking hate bacon!! The fact that I stumbled this makes me furious!!! Bacon cookies? WTF America is way too fat.

• Wendy — December 2nd, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Really? Are you also someone who goes to the carnival and complains that there are rides?

kelly — June 15, 2011 @ 12:16 am

I didn’t have baking soda but made these any ways… and my cookies came out BIG and PUFFY. I thought that omitting the baking soda was supposed to make flatter cookies?

I like that your candied bacon recipe makes eight slices of bacon while your cookie recipe calls for four, since that was all that was left for the cookies.

Jana — June 19, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

So the other day at work we talked about bacon and how it makes everything in life better (I had ordered mustard soup and it came without bacon which is just a big no-go.). Someone mentioned how, well, you know, this only applies to savory stuff, no? You wouldn’t put bacon in, say, pie now, would you? I felt my Barney-Stinson-moment was come when all I could say was “Challenge accepted!”
    Now these guys are cooling on my counter and they smell delicious and I want one so badly. It’s 11:30 pm where I am, though, so I can’t try. (Yeah, that makes sense… I cover bacon in chocolate but somehow eating cookies in the middle of the night is too rebellious. Uh huh.) But I’ll let you know (whether you want or not) how they turned out – I suppose I’ll get either promoted or fired tomorrow. ;)

• Jana — June 24th, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

Okay, I made these. They were uh-maaaa-zingggg and number 1 office talk for at least 2 days. (To the point of causing my friend to blog about them http://hipstersandclogs.tumblr.com/post/6723498182/day-292-clogs-jana-came-to-the-office-today )
      And I wish I were kidding when I say that one of our designated vegetarians ate one after we told her it was bacon from ‘happy pigs’. I strongly believe that candying, chocolate-coating and putting-in-a-cookie-ing bacon has completed my life.