I made marshmallows with beer.

Not water. But beer.

That stuff you drank in college. That stuff you might drink now. That stuff your grandpa chugged while sitting on his porch steps. That stuff that Lindsay Lohan shouldn’t touch. I don’t think we need to worry about that though. Vodka in plastic water bottles seems more like her thing.

Freaking? No need to freak. There shan’t be any freaking about beer marshmallows. Especially if you don’t like beer.

See… beer marshmallows are kind of like beer braised short ribs. Or beer battered fish. Or beer margaritas. Without the ribs, the fish and the tequila. And all the bones and limes and stuff. Not a beer lover? Beer marshmallows can still totally be your thing. There’s a lot of love to give. Beer just enhances the regular fabulousness of food. Know this.

I didn’t really think I liked beer either. But as it turns out… I do like it. I kinda love it. Perhaps it comes with age, which would make sense since I’m getting old and finding subsequent wrinkles? Or maybe I’m just trying to find a way to consume more calories than I already do? <—- Yeah… that.

So what do beer marshmallows taste like?

They melt in your mouth like fluffy vanilla pillows with a slight hint of… wait for it… beer. Some may say they taste like college. You know… sort of how college tastes? Every time I kiss Mr. How Sweet after he drinks beer I think he tastes like college. But that’s just what I hear… from other people… because I have no idea what the correlation is between boys + kissing + college + beer. You know. And yeah, married people kiss. Sometimes.

Oh, hi beer marshmallows!

You’re cute.

I definitely coated these marshmallows in both milk chocolate and dark chocolate. And you can barely tell. How annoying. I wasted like 75 minutes of my life last night alternately dipping uniformly sized mallows into deep pools of milk and dark happiness. Had I known they would all look the same, I simply would have dunked them all in creamy milk chocolate since I believe the sun rises and sets on the unpure, milk-powdered solid. Whatev. I’m an equal opportunity marshmallowist.

Annnnd just in case you didn’t notice, there are a billion crumbles of salty pretzel on top.

Heaven? I think so too.

I’m pretty much in love with these things.

I want to make another batch – uncut this time- to lay my head down on at night.

That would be a sweet nap. Bouncy beer pillows. Now that is something I can get behind.

So yeah…  only one problem when you make chocolate covered beer marshmallows.

Youcan’tstopeatingthem. That happened.

[print_this]

Beer Marshmallows

makes one 9 x 13 pan of marshmallows, cut however you desire

3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (I used Knox)

1 cup cold, flat beer, divided in two

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites or reconstituted powdered egg whites

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups dark chocolate morsels

2 cups milk chocolate morsels

hard sourdough pretzels

To flatten the beer, take the cap off the bottle and leave open overnight, or pour beer into a bowl and whisk vigorously to remove some carbonation. I did the second option and it worked perfectly! Just make sure it is cold.

Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan (I actually just used a good bit of Pam) and sprinkle on powdered sugar to cover and coat. Set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer (a whisk attachment is best), pour 1/2 cup cold beer and 3 1/2 packs of gelatin. I gently mixed with a spoon once, then let sit while you make the sugar mixture.

In a medium pot combine sugar, remaining beer, syrup and salt. Heat over low heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium and let sugar come to a boil. It will bubbly up so keep yours eye on it so it does not overflow. Let it boil for 8-12 minutes, until it reaches 240 degrees F (measure with a candy thermometer). The mixture will appear to be a lightish brown color depending on the beer you use – don’t worry, the marshmallows will still be white.

Once mixture is at 240 degrees F, turn off heat and gently pour it in the mixer over the gelatin with the mixer on low speed. Once all of the sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for for 6-8 minutes. It should grow in size and be white and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes in, add the egg whites to a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. I used a hand mixer to do this. If you don’t have a hand mixer, I assume you have to remove the whisk attachment, clean it (it will be a sticky mess), add a new bowl to the mixer, beat egg whites. Once stiff peaks are formed, add egg whites and vanilla extract to the sugar/gelatin mixture and beat until just combined.

Pour marshmallow mix into the 9 x 13 pan. It will impossibly sticky so be careful, and you will not be able to get it all out of the bowl. Get as much as you can, then spray a spatula with non-stick spray and smooth. Dust powdered sugar on top and let sit to firm up for 3-5 hours.

Once firm, turn the pan upside down on a cutting board to release marshmallow rectangle. Cut them into pieces of whatever size you like. Melt milk and dark chocolate chips separately (I melt in 30 second increments in the microwave and stir) in two bowls. Crush hard sourdough pretzels. Using a fork, toothpick or fondue pick, coat marshmallows in chocolate then sprinkle with or roll in pretzel crumbs. You can also drizzle with salted caramel. Let sit at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks!

Source: idea from an ad seen in Food and Wine, then a quick google search led me here; marshmallow recipe from smittenkitchen, subbing beer for water; flattening beer instructions from here.

[/print_this]

Now who wants to guess what comes after beer marshmallows?

221 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Beer Marshmallows.”

Maris (In Good Taste) — May 27, 2011 @ 7:06 am

These look absolutely incredibly good! Have a wonderful weekend!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 27, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Oh beer definitely tastes like college. Not that I know anyhing about late night beer tastings either. But I kind of do. And when I say “kind of”, I mean, yes.. yes I do.

Hmmm after beer marshmallows – you should make something that resembles jelloshots. Not that I know anything about those either.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

My mom just said yesterday she wants me to make jello shots! I don’t know if I consider those blog worthy.

• Maureen — May 27th, 2011 @ 10:29 am

On the agenda for this weekend – jello shots w/whipped vodka. Chocolate whipped w/cherry jello, and vanilla whipped with orange jello. And of course a swirl of whipped cream on top :)

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Love the whipped vodka… so good.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 27, 2011 @ 7:24 am

I have never made homemade marshmellows before..with water.. OR beer. It doesn’t look to tricky though.. and I am totally intrigued by the whole beer thing!

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:56 am

It’s pretty easy!

Riss — May 27, 2011 @ 7:32 am

Oh. My. Gosh. I don’t even drink beer (ever</i) and I want to try these. I think maybe I should start with making marshmallows the "traditional" way first, though… before moving on to more scandalous things!

Cara Craves... — May 27, 2011 @ 7:35 am

I think my husband would love these…anything with beer right?!

Di — May 27, 2011 @ 7:42 am

Holy crap. I need to make these. NOW.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 27, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Beer Marshmallow Smores comes next?

I’m not a big beer drinker but I do like the slight taste of beer — and you just had to put some pretzel pieces on top too, didn’t you?

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:55 am

You are smart. ;)

Shugary Sweet — May 27, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Seriously, what next? You just blew my mind on that one! I’m still not sure I can conquer making my own mallows…need to take that leap!
    Aimee

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:55 am

You definitely can! Everything I read kept saying how “easy” they were. I honestly didn’t think they were easy when I was making them, but probably because I didn’t know what to expect and wasn’t sure if I was doing it right. But now that I’ve made them, I can tell you that they are really easy and basically foolproof!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 27, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I’ve never made marshmallows and I had no idea you could make something as creative as beer marshmallows! What a fabulous idea… especially combined with chocolate and pretzels!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 27, 2011 @ 7:56 am

I’m definitely not a beer drinker in any capacity, but I think beer marshmallows could change that.. especially when double-dipped in chocolate!

sherri lynn — May 27, 2011 @ 7:56 am

These look so good! And beautiful too :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 27, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Salty pretzels on top? 5 stars for that one! 6 stars, actually.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 27, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Those look like the most amazing ‘turtle’ candies I’ve ever seen!

and I can’t believe you combined all of those words into a recipe! – awesome! :)

Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — May 27, 2011 @ 8:05 am

I’m not big on beer either so I’ll have to give these guys a try.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — May 27, 2011 @ 8:09 am

My first thought upon seeing this title? “Oh no she didn’t!” But you did, and they look amazing!

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 27, 2011 @ 8:09 am

It’s official. I’m in love with you.

These would make the BEST s’mores.

jenna laughs — May 27, 2011 @ 8:11 am

I really love that photograph with the squares of marshmallows everywhere and 2 bowls of melted chocolate… so beautiful!

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Thanks!

• Ellie@fitforthesoul — May 27th, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

I know huh! I love all the photos on this site. I’m a sucker for pretty photos and even if I don’t fancy certain foods/ingredients, I still want some b/c it’s so pretty. :P

Kim in MD — May 27, 2011 @ 8:12 am

You have out done yourself again, Jessica! I am not a beer drinker, but these are genious! I can’t begin to imagine what you are making next, but I’m sure it will be amazing! :-)

Shannon — May 27, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Beer marshamallows!? I want an occasion to make these ASAP. Or maybe I just want to make them for myself.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:54 am

You are worth it.

Amy — May 27, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Omg. These look *crazy* good. … You are a genius, Jessica :) …And seeing the crumbled pretzels on top makes me want to take the rest of my day off work and race home to make a pan of these babies!

lightlygildedlily — May 27, 2011 @ 8:23 am

OH. MY. GOD.
    these are amaze-balls. And i hate it when people say that.. but this post deserves it.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:53 am

I like your disclaimer because I hate that word too. :) Thanks!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 27, 2011 @ 8:26 am

These are kind of amazing. Really amazing, actually. Next up: jungle juice marshmellows?! :-)

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Hahaha! Don’t know if those would fly…

Melissa — May 27, 2011 @ 8:28 am

You are a genius. But seriously, how can you top beer marshmallows???

Oh, and I wouldn’t know anything about the college-beer-kissing connection, either. Foreign concept. Totally.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 27, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Wow! I think you’ve out done yourself! Love the salty pretzel bits on top- that’s some seriously smart attention to detail!

Amy — May 27, 2011 @ 8:31 am

wow! those look amazing and yummy. but i i know the kissing-beer-breath idea. my hubs doesn’t drink beer much, but when he does, i love it! hahaha

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 8:52 am

Totally know what you mean… haha.

Allison @ Novice Life — May 27, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Ummmmm – I think my husband will fall in love with me all over again!

Nicki — May 27, 2011 @ 8:56 am

So… I am going on a ten day, cross-country road trip in July. There will be no hotels. Only camping. There will be no store-bought marshmallows. Only these. It is decided.

Megan — May 27, 2011 @ 9:04 am

I am so excited to try these! And I couldn’t put my finger on what Ben (my hunny’s) kisses tasted like after he had a beer until you said it – college. He tastes like college. oh the good ol days!! :)

brandi — May 27, 2011 @ 9:07 am

beer marshmallow s’mores!! :)

I wonder if these ship well… ;)

Happy Friday friend!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — May 27, 2011 @ 9:15 am

These look insane!!!!!!!!

I especially love the added chocolate and pretzels. I just posted a recipe for toasted marshmallow milkshakes yesterday – now I want to try them with your beer marshmallows and add crushed pretzels and chocolate for garnish!!!

Heather — May 27, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Girl, these are so awesome! I’m dying to try them!!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 27, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Did you use PBR? Please tell me you used PBR…

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Hahah sorry! I did not.

Katie — May 27, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I am oh-so intrigued by this. I don’t really like beer either, but when combined with something so sweet…I just might be into it.

Also, I tell Meeker that he smells like college whenever he has a few beers and then lays down next to me as we go to sleep. I totally know what college smells like, and the fact that you captured that in a marshmallow recipe is kind of awesome.

Erica — May 27, 2011 @ 9:41 am

I’ve always wanted to make marshmallows because they look so pretty! And these are extra fun due to the beer (regardless of whether or not you can taste it :)).

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — May 27, 2011 @ 9:42 am

Why, why, WHY did you post these when I have to be at the beach in a bikini in 11 days?? :) And even though I’m 5 years out of college I’m up for a little reminder anytime!

Rande — May 27, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I hate marshmallows but this I may just have to try

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Homemade marshmallows are nothing like store bought, I promise!

Anne @ Baking Me — May 27, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I would have never thought to put beer in marshmallows, these look great!

Megan — May 27, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Pretty sure I am going to try this today! Along with the Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting! Thanks for sharing both your recipes and humor! :)

Kristina @ spabettie — May 27, 2011 @ 10:12 am

this is the best thing I’ve seen in a while. ever. anywhere. I want them now.

and I love that you said beer margaritas. my chef friend makes them for us regularly…

Rhiann — May 27, 2011 @ 10:12 am

My college tasted like vodka and tequila. Wonder how those marshmallows would taste…

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Well I like tequila!

Barbie — May 27, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Never in a million years could I imagine a beer marshmallow! Sounds… intriguing. I made beer cheese last night to go with homemade soft pretzels, but I’d never thought of using beer as part of a dessert! I just may have to try this sometime.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

LOVE beer cheese!

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — May 27, 2011 @ 10:22 am

GENIUS IDEA! Please tell me you will make a recipe involving bloody mary mix because that is my elixir of choice :)

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I’ve never even tried bloody mary mix! I think I’ve only had one bloody mary before. Too many vegetables. ;)

• Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:17 am

This one bar near my apartment has bacon bloody marys (bacon vodka) I bet you would like that one! :)

Krista @ Journey To A Healthy Berg — May 27, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Beer marshmellows? You are amazing.

Karly — May 27, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I seriously did a double take when I read this title. Beer. In a marshmallow. What in the world will you think of next?

Emily — May 27, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Wow. You are every man’s dream. I don’t know if I should let my husband know about these ;) They sure do look incredible!!

stephchows — May 27, 2011 @ 10:32 am

OMG you are seriously a genius. AMAZING!!!

shelly (cookies and cups) — May 27, 2011 @ 10:35 am

ok, I want to know what led to the thought to make marshmallows out of beer…because that is just crazy…and I am assuming crazy delicious :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — May 27, 2011 @ 10:39 am

What a cool idea!!

EatLiveRun — May 27, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Love this idea! And would love it even more floating in a massive hot chocolate right now.

Tary — May 27, 2011 @ 10:43 am

So you make lot of fantastic things, but these look OUT OF CONTROL. So out of control I might actually make them the second I get home tonight. Holy MOLY, I love this blog.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Thanks Tary!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Beer Marshmallow S'mores | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Nubes de cerveza negra (chuches para adultos) « Morgana. Tartas con magia

3. Pingback: Chocolate Covered Beer Marshmallows | Kitchen 999 Any Item

4. Pingback: » Creative food for Father’s Day and a Great Freebie! - Divine Party Concepts

5. Pingback: Beer Marshmallows « My Little Diversions

17. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Butterbeer Marshmallows | Inky Twin Eats

19. Pingback: How to Use Marshmallows « CAROLYN'S COMPOSITIONS

20. Pingback: Weekending 12.10.2012 | Amanda's New Life

21. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Peanut Butter S'mores | How Sweet It Is

22. Pingback: Top 7 Sweet and Fantastic Candy Recipes - All Fresh Recipes

23. Pingback: Chocolate covered beer marshmallows recipe | World class cooking recipes

24. Pingback: Homemade Smashing S'mores | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: well, hello monday…christmas edition. | my. b e a u t i f u l. rescue.

26. Pingback: The Lady Thing Delicious Marshmallow Dessert Recipes! - The Lady Thing

27. Pingback: 40 Awesome Super Bowl Party Ideas

28. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules

29. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules : Eat-Best.com

30. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules | Monthly Recipes

31. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules : Grandmas Cooking

32. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules | ONews.US - Latest News

33. Pingback: 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

34. Pingback: 27 Perfect Ways To Eat Pretzels | Monthly Recipes

35. Pingback: 27 Perfect Ways To Eat Pretzels

36. Pingback: Jeobox – 27 Pretzel Recipes That Know How To Bend The Rules

37. Pingback: プレッツェルを食べる27の完全な方法 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

38. Pingback: プレッツェルを食べる27の完全な方法 | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

39. Pingback: Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches with Beer Marshmallow