I made marshmallows with beer.

Not water. But beer.

That stuff you drank in college. That stuff you might drink now. That stuff your grandpa chugged while sitting on his porch steps. That stuff that Lindsay Lohan shouldn’t touch. I don’t think we need to worry about that though. Vodka in plastic water bottles seems more like her thing.

Freaking? No need to freak. There shan’t be any freaking about beer marshmallows. Especially if you don’t like beer.

See… beer marshmallows are kind of like beer braised short ribs. Or beer battered fish. Or beer margaritas. Without the ribs, the fish and the tequila. And all the bones and limes and stuff. Not a beer lover? Beer marshmallows can still totally be your thing. There’s a lot of love to give. Beer just enhances the regular fabulousness of food. Know this.

I didn’t really think I liked beer either. But as it turns out… I do like it. I kinda love it. Perhaps it comes with age, which would make sense since I’m getting old and finding subsequent wrinkles? Or maybe I’m just trying to find a way to consume more calories than I already do? <—- Yeah… that.

So what do beer marshmallows taste like?

They melt in your mouth like fluffy vanilla pillows with a slight hint of… wait for it… beer. Some may say they taste like college. You know… sort of how college tastes? Every time I kiss Mr. How Sweet after he drinks beer I think he tastes like college. But that’s just what I hear… from other people… because I have no idea what the correlation is between boys + kissing + college + beer. You know. And yeah, married people kiss. Sometimes.

Oh, hi beer marshmallows!

You’re cute.

I definitely coated these marshmallows in both milk chocolate and dark chocolate. And you can barely tell. How annoying. I wasted like 75 minutes of my life last night alternately dipping uniformly sized mallows into deep pools of milk and dark happiness. Had I known they would all look the same, I simply would have dunked them all in creamy milk chocolate since I believe the sun rises and sets on the unpure, milk-powdered solid. Whatev. I’m an equal opportunity marshmallowist.

Annnnd just in case you didn’t notice, there are a billion crumbles of salty pretzel on top.

Heaven? I think so too.

I’m pretty much in love with these things.

I want to make another batch – uncut this time- to lay my head down on at night.

That would be a sweet nap. Bouncy beer pillows. Now that is something I can get behind.

So yeah…  only one problem when you make chocolate covered beer marshmallows.

Youcan’tstopeatingthem. That happened.

[print_this]

Beer Marshmallows

makes one 9 x 13 pan of marshmallows, cut however you desire

3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (I used Knox)

1 cup cold, flat beer, divided in two

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites or reconstituted powdered egg whites

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups dark chocolate morsels

2 cups milk chocolate morsels

hard sourdough pretzels

To flatten the beer, take the cap off the bottle and leave open overnight, or pour beer into a bowl and whisk vigorously to remove some carbonation. I did the second option and it worked perfectly! Just make sure it is cold.

Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan (I actually just used a good bit of Pam) and sprinkle on powdered sugar to cover and coat. Set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer (a whisk attachment is best), pour 1/2 cup cold beer and 3 1/2 packs of gelatin. I gently mixed with a spoon once, then let sit while you make the sugar mixture.

In a medium pot combine sugar, remaining beer, syrup and salt. Heat over low heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat up to medium and let sugar come to a boil. It will bubbly up so keep yours eye on it so it does not overflow. Let it boil for 8-12 minutes, until it reaches 240 degrees F (measure with a candy thermometer). The mixture will appear to be a lightish brown color depending on the beer you use – don’t worry, the marshmallows will still be white.

Once mixture is at 240 degrees F, turn off heat and gently pour it in the mixer over the gelatin with the mixer on low speed. Once all of the sugar has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for for 6-8 minutes. It should grow in size and be white and fluffy. About 3-4 minutes in, add the egg whites to a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. I used a hand mixer to do this. If you don’t have a hand mixer, I assume you have to remove the whisk attachment, clean it (it will be a sticky mess), add a new bowl to the mixer, beat egg whites. Once stiff peaks are formed, add egg whites and vanilla extract to the sugar/gelatin mixture and beat until just combined.

Pour marshmallow mix into the 9 x 13 pan. It will impossibly sticky so be careful, and you will not be able to get it all out of the bowl. Get as much as you can, then spray a spatula with non-stick spray and smooth. Dust powdered sugar on top and let sit to firm up for 3-5 hours.

Once firm, turn the pan upside down on a cutting board to release marshmallow rectangle. Cut them into pieces of whatever size you like. Melt milk and dark chocolate chips separately (I melt in 30 second increments in the microwave and stir) in two bowls. Crush hard sourdough pretzels. Using a fork, toothpick or fondue pick, coat marshmallows in chocolate then sprinkle with or roll in pretzel crumbs. You can also drizzle with salted caramel. Let sit at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Marshmallows can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks!

Source: idea from an ad seen in Food and Wine, then a quick google search led me here; marshmallow recipe from smittenkitchen, subbing beer for water; flattening beer instructions from here.

[/print_this]

Now who wants to guess what comes after beer marshmallows?

208 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Beer Marshmallows.”

Jennifer @ A Touch of Garlic — May 27, 2011 @ 10:55 am

What kind of beer did you use?

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

I made 2 batches, one with Guinness and one with a honey amber beer and I thought both were very similar!

Jesse — May 27, 2011 @ 10:57 am

very intriguing, and topping with pretzels, yes please!

Cara — May 27, 2011 @ 10:59 am

These are outrageous! But I really can’t wait to try them. I think the pretzel crumbs on top, is a wonderful touch :) Chocolate and salt seem to be a thing of mine lately.

Elizabeth — May 27, 2011 @ 11:03 am

The only thing missing is BACON.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — May 27, 2011 @ 11:15 am

your brain is beautiful. you are soooooo creative!

Beer. I hate it. Well, I could probably love it in this recipe :)

I have never made marshmallows b/c I am scared of candy thermometers and big vats of hot boiling liquid sugar. Need to get over that, clearly.

“I wasted like 75 minutes of my life last night alternately dipping uniformly sized mallows into deep pools of milk and dark happiness. “–

I have done the same thing with any truffle or ball/bite ive ever made…they all look the same after the chocolate bath..AND in fact, they look worse photographically b/c they have weird little choco “edges” and “pointy” parts.

But to the tongue, it’s magic.

Jen of My Tiny Oven — May 27, 2011 @ 11:16 am

oh man you are killin’ me! These are just wrong… I can’t wait to make them!
    Have a great weekend!

Natalia - a side of simple — May 27, 2011 @ 11:18 am

You’re insane and I love it. These are sure to make the ultimate s’mores!!

Lyn @Photocaptivated — May 27, 2011 @ 11:22 am

OK So Beer (or stout) + Chocolate are my husbands favourite things. I’m sure he will love me 50X more when I make these for him!!!! So freaking AWESOME! :-)

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — May 27, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Beer marshmellows! how do you come up with this stuff! I love it! haha Lindsay Lohan

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 27, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Well my intentions to eat well this weekend are tarnished now… ;)

Jess — May 27, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Ambitious!! For me, I mean. But they definitely look/sound good enough to invest in a mixer for. I should have one anyway, but these will make me get one that much quicker.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — May 27, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Genius! Love this! :-)

Sara — May 27, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

What’s next? I think you are going to turn those into S’mores, but instead of store bought graham crackers, you are going to make some kind of delicious homemade beer infused graham “cookie” type a thing!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — May 27, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

You have the greatest ideas. I love the crushed pretzels on top!

Lindsay — May 27, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

OOOHHH EMMMM GGGEEE! I seriously need to make these. ;)

Katrina — May 27, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

This is a crazy-good idea! I adore marshmallows, and this this recipe would be lovely!

Connie the cookie monster — May 27, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

are you a space martian? where you getting all these crazy but good ideaas?!

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — May 27, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Pretty. Frickin’. Cool.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — May 27, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I hope you make beer smores with these. Those would be life changing, right? I can only guess. :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 27, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Haha these are going to be perfect for my next college party! I hope that beer appreciation comes with age, because I’d really like to actually enjoy drinking them. Right now, I just drink it socially, but can’t come to love it.

Maybe I’ll start with these marshmallows…

peabody — May 27, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I put ale caramel with mine when I made them. Super yummy.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 27, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

I have been dying to make homemade marshmallows…. and this is the best recipe I have seen yet!

thehealthyapron — May 27, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

wow ! I’m impressed. Those look tasty! I usually dont like marshmallows unless they are in a smore so the fact that you dipped them in choc. and then sprinkled pretzels on top? I’m salivating!

Cookbook Queen — May 27, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

#1 These will be my new pillows. They look pretty darn ergonomic. What neck pain?

#2 Please don’t tell my husband that married people are supposed to kiss. Okay, kidding. Except when he’s been drinking coffee. Then not kidding.

#3 After Beer Marshmallows comes Ice Cream Cake. We all know that. (waiting to see if this actually will work….)

Naomi — May 27, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

HOLY MOLY those look good and I saw that comment about jello shots and I think you totally need to…and fancy it up ‘how sweet style’ ;)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — May 27, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

I cannot stop laughing. You made marshmallows out of beer?! You are officially my favorite person now. Aaannndd…this post may have shot you straight to the top of college student’s fave food blogs! lol

Alaina — May 27, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I am so making these into S’mores!! I’m going to get hammered on s’mores. :-P

Libby — May 27, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

I just made these with Woodchuck instead of beer – super delicious, and I’ve only eaten some of the goopy stuff out of the bowl! I can’t wait for them to set so I can cover them in chocolate. :D This recipe gave me the excuse I’ve been looking for to try making homemade marshmallows, so thank you for that!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy — May 27, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Uh…you’re a freaking genius.
    Oh and I think that washington apples taste like college, but like bad bad nights of college. I should probably go make these to get that taste out of my mouth now.

Lindsey@Lindselicious — May 27, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Um, AMAZING! Love the pretzel bits on the top.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — May 27, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

BEER marshmallows?! With chocolate?! Every time I visit your blog, I am so amazed by your crazy unique, wonderfully delicious creations!!

Serena — May 27, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

I think you should make beer marshmallow Smore’s brownies. With chocolate ganache. Is that overkill?

Lauren — May 27, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

For some reason, working with gelatin scares me. I’ve never done it and I think that’s why. This gives me an excuse to try it!
    And FABULOUS idea to top them with pretzels!

Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal — May 27, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Hi. We should be best friends. Your name is Jessica. My name is Jessica. I love beer. You made beer marshmallows. No further arguments needed. PS. I love you best friend.

Kath — May 27, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaa!?!!

Would these be worth a separate trip to the grocery store tomorrow for corn syrup and gelatin!?

• Jessica — May 27th, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

YES! I promise. I didn’t have either, and was wary about making a trip to the store for both. Best decision ever.

Parita — May 27, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

You have truly outdone yourself! These looks deeeelicious!

Sues — May 28, 2011 @ 12:54 am

OMG I saw these on SlashFood and have been thinking about them ever since! SOOO excited that you actually made these and they came out fabulously! I also have a bottle of cotton candy vodka that I was thinking about adding to marshmallows, but was worried the sugar in the marshmallow would overpower the flavor of the vodka. These are the things that keep me up at night.

I’m dying over how beautiful these are!

Erin — May 28, 2011 @ 1:40 am

You are my soulmate.

Ashley — May 28, 2011 @ 2:03 am

Wow!!! I just can’t even imagine how you thought this one up. They look like fluffy clouds of deliciousness!! I just saw that our local milk company bottles ROOT BEER milk at Whole Foods. I’m not a root beer fan, but I think I remember you being one…so I thought you would like the sound of that! ;)

Nicole — May 28, 2011 @ 3:31 am

Oh. My. Goodness. These look AMAZING! I’m not a huge fan of beer either, but I have no doubt that they would taste great when mixed with the creamy marshmallow and salty pretzel… definitely need to make these soon!

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 28, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Girl, you are just way too fun and you never cease to amaze me! Awesome idea & I bet the beer gives a subtle flavor twist. xo

megan — May 28, 2011 @ 8:07 am

So, I love sweets…I love to bake…I love to eat what I bake, but the reason I follow your site is cause you are SO durn FUNNY!!!!!! I love your commentary more than your recipes. Okay, not really. I love your recipes and your commentary.

Beer Marshmallows…you gotta be kidding me. Awesomeness!

megan — May 28, 2011 @ 8:11 am

…oh, and has anyone guessed what comes next? I’m guessing breakfast, at IHOP, in the clothes you wore the night before ;)

nikki — May 28, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Lets see, what comes next……….. Vodka Muffins???

Mary — May 28, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Oh. My. Perfect for an adults only campfire!

Alisa — May 28, 2011 @ 9:41 am

This is amazing! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Andie Mitchell — May 28, 2011 @ 9:59 am

These may be my favorite thing in the world.

Paula at Dishing The Divine — May 28, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

these sound so interesting!!! I love the idea of dipping them in chocolate and covering them with pretzels! Must try this soon! :)

LostKat14 — May 28, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

These look amazing (I’m a beer person so so much the better!). What beer did you use (yeah- I’m also a beer snob)? I’m curious about experimenting with the flavors you can get from different beers. Might have to try Guinness with these.

Zoe — May 28, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

What an awesome combination! These look fabulous, especially dipped in milk chocolate and sprinkled with crumbled pretzels. YUM! I would never have thought to make marshmallows with beer (or cupcakes with avocado frosting, for that matter). That is one of the reasons why I love your blog :)