Some days I’m stumped.

I’ve got nothing.

Nothing to say. Nothing to wear. Nothing to eat. Nothing to cook. I’m all locked up with writer’s block, a wardrobe only fit for a tween given my love of glitter and pathetic style, a raging appetite for cookies with desperately dwindling attempts at self-control and an empty crisper drawer. Oh, and you.

I have you! I’m so glad I do. I’m thrilled you are here. Have I told you that lately? Because if you weren’t here, I would simply talk to myself and wear clothes that fit and eat cold cereal for dinner and never ever eat a mushroom. Ever.

Cold cereal. Mmmmm. Crunchy cereal. Cold, icy milk. Anyone have a spoon?

If it’s any of your concern, I wasn’t down with eating fungus until a few months ago… right after I dumped a pint of sliced button mushrooms into sizzling butter and deglazed the pan with chilled, dry chardonnay. That was a good day.  You should try it. And make these crispy fries too. Mushrooms + crunchiness + sweet, syrupy balsamic + salty, cheesy dip. Food of the heavens. Dinner is served.

Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries

4 portobello mushroom caps, sliced

2 egg whites

1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs

1/4 cup flour

1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs (not panko, just regular bread crumbs)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray it with non-stick spray.

Add bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper and paprika to a bowl and mix. In a smaller bowl, lightly beat 2 egg whites. Dip each mushroom slice in the egg white and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Lay on the wire rack and repeat with the other slices. Spray each slice with a spritz of olive oil (spray it, don’t drizzle) before putting it in the oven. Bake for 7 minutes, then flip and spray the other side with olive oil. Bake for 7 more minutes.

While the mushrooms are cooking, heat the vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to come to a simmer then reduce to low heat, cooking until syrupy and thick, about 5-7 minutes. Let sit at room temperature to thicken a bit more.

Drizzle balsamic over mushrooms and serve with dipping sauce.

[I find that the combination of bread crumbs (panko and regular) adheres better than just plain panko. I also use egg whites only to prevent the "eggy" taste, but feel free to use a whole egg if you'd like.]

Smoky Cheddar Parm Dip

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon flour

1/2 cup milk

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 garlic clove, minced

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add butter. One it is sizzling add flour and whisk to form a roux. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk, reduce heat to low and stir – it should thicken within a minute. Add in cheeses, paprika and garlic and stir to combine. Stir until smooth. Turn off heat and pour into a bowl for dipping.

You know I’ve really got nothing to say when I write about loving a vegetable.

123 Responses to “Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries.”

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 10, 2011 @ 7:08 am

You’re awesome! In all your glittery clothes and with your empty fridge. Just make me a batch of these fries and dip and you’ll be my favorite person :)

Erica — May 10, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I so wish I liked mushrooms. Bahhh! What an interesting take on a fry- love

Erin — May 10, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I’m not a mushroom fan. But They way you talk about these, and the looks of that dip makes me want to try to try it!

Katie (Sweet Tater) — May 10, 2011 @ 7:15 am

what a cool idea! i haaaaate mushrooms but these look awesome.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 10, 2011 @ 7:22 am

I know you were trying to make up for being one of “those” people today – I apologize if you felt convicted when you read my post last night. I still love you, despite your vegetable hating ways.

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:34 am

LOL… I sort of did one paragraph in to your post last night.

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Oh but don’t worry, this post was already planned. ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 10, 2011 @ 7:28 am

What a cute post! Those mushrooms look delicious :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 10, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I think my jaw just dropped. And not only because you dedicated an entire post to loving a veggie – but you turned a mushroom. Into a fry. And it looks perfect. I’m amazed!

Mary Beth — May 10, 2011 @ 7:44 am

oOOOOhhh these look awesome! love some shroomies! Bet this would be good w/ eggplant too. Nom!

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I bet it would!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 10, 2011 @ 7:46 am

you have really outdone yourself with this one. HOLY mushroom fries…i need these!

susie — May 10, 2011 @ 7:49 am

I’m not a mushroom fan but just maybe I will give this a whirl!
    I am not down with veggies either but I’m trying!

Gen — May 10, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Those sound sooo awesome!!!!!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 10, 2011 @ 7:50 am

I would love to have cold cereal for dinner every day — too bad I need a whole box to make me feel somewhat satisfied. But it tastes so good!

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

I know. I easily can eat a whole box.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 10, 2011 @ 7:51 am

I’ve been getting bored with veggies lately and now I need to make these immediately!

WenDee Riffe — May 10, 2011 @ 7:55 am

UH~MAZING! how is it that you keep coming up with these new ideas!? i am just curious–do you dream of them???while watching tv??? what gives???LOL!! really though~~these sound dee-lish!!! gonna try this one day this week!!! thanks again!!!

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Hahaha I am thinking of new recipes ALL the time! At all hours of the day. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 10, 2011 @ 7:59 am

These look awesome! I bought portabellos on the weekend (I don’t usually buy them because they’re expensive!) and i have a couple of spare ones so I think I’ll try these. Thanks Jess! :)

Melissa — May 10, 2011 @ 8:07 am

I’ve had these out at restaurants before and I have to say, yours look better. Will you start a restaurant? Pretty please? I will move to Pittsburgh and keep you in business.

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Hmmm… if someone pays for it and then does all the work while I do nothing… sure!

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — May 10, 2011 @ 8:08 am

I love mushrooms! These look fantastic.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — May 10, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I thought people had made fries out of every vegetable before. False. You just won the originality award for the month.

Alisa — May 10, 2011 @ 8:24 am

these look amazing!! i love mushrooms, so these will be on my list to make soon! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 10, 2011 @ 8:24 am

this is genius! i have never thought to either 1.bread/coat or 2. roast a mushroom like that. genius!

and the cheese dip…well that looks stellar as well!

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — May 10, 2011 @ 8:27 am

This looks incredible–what an awesome idea! (and food blog or not, cereal is the best!) :)

Liz — May 10, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Oh my gosh Jessica – I’m in LURVE!!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 10, 2011 @ 8:39 am

These look great! Very clever! I’m going to have to give em a try!

MelissaNibbles — May 10, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I never would’ve thought of this! They sound amazing.

Riss — May 10, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Can you please send a 50 gallon drum of that sauce my way? I’ll email you my address. We’ll just call it a graduation gift, okay?

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Deal!

Rachel — May 10, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Totally unrelated to mushrooms but I NEED to tell you this… my boyfriend and I made THE. BEST. NACHOS. EVER. last weekend… and they were totally inspired by one of your recipes! This is what we did:

1. made your cilantro lime white bean hummus recipe (seriously one of my favorite of all time!) BUT with black beans instead of cannelini

2. spread it on tostadas

3. topped with chicken cooked w/cumin, and some green peppers and onions

4. plus some cheddar and monterey jack

5. popped it under the broiler and then cut them up into nachos. I guess they were really more like little nacho pizzas.

TO DIE FOR. Just thought you’d appreciate :)

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Those sound AMAZING!

Alexis @ There She Goes — May 10, 2011 @ 8:59 am

not a huge fungus fan either, but these look fabbb!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 10, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Writers’ block is bound to happen sometime, that’s when I break out the pics of my adorable pup ;)

Looks delicious as always! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — May 10, 2011 @ 9:35 am

These look amazing! I love mushrooms and any veggie turned into a breaded fry is a winner with me.

Eunice — May 10, 2011 @ 9:42 am

I have a fear of mushrooms that are still in the ground. The chopped up ones are okay though. Looks good!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 10, 2011 @ 9:45 am

I am with you on being stumped sometimes. It’s frustrating…then, you just come up with the most amazing thing! This is beautiful. Love the idea on crisping up the mushrooms. Maybe Jay would eat them this way? I’m definitely going to try!

Amanda (Eating Up) — May 10, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Eeeee! That dip sounds amazing! I am eternally grateful for this blog.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — May 10, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Yum! I’d never think to make portabello fries.

Steph @321delish — May 10, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I never would have thought to make these! They looks so yummy!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — May 10, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Those look amazing – bookmarked!

Brittany — May 10, 2011 @ 10:08 am

I’ve read your blog for awhile now, but have never commented. Then I saw this:
    & knew I had to share!

Love your blog!

Gina @ Runningtothekitchen — May 10, 2011 @ 10:31 am

I absolutely love mushrooms and didn’t think it could get better than a simply grilled portabello. But this looks like it just might even beat a simple grill! must try :)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — May 10, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Love mushrooms. Love cheese. Love fries. Love you.
    p.s. That cheese sauce looks perfect for some soft pretzels. mmm.

Ashley — May 10, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Ohmy!! I have never seen or heard of making baking mushroom fries. Way to get creative!! :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 10, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I have just started aquiring a taste for mushrooms.. these look great!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — May 10, 2011 @ 11:03 am

Mmm!! This is Genius! It really is. Anything to make “fries” a healthy way is ok by me!

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — May 10, 2011 @ 11:06 am

FYI: These are NYC restaurant worthy. Perhaps you should move to NYC and make your creations for us here!!! :)

Rose — May 10, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Those mushrooms look delicious, I think I’m drooling.

And thank you so much for making the smoky cheddar parm dip without mayo. So many dips have a mayo base and I really cannot stomach the stuff. I’ll be making this recipe sometime soon!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 10, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Oh my goodness. Adding mushrooms to grocery list, NOW. And that dip looks phenomenal!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 10, 2011 @ 11:27 am

PS: Why not Panko?

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 10, 2011 @ 11:32 am

This is so creative, and dare I say, good for you? Mmmm, I sure hope so. I could snack away on them all day!

Lora @cakeduchess — May 10, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Your so adorable! These look amazing. That balsamic drizzle is just perfect. I need to try this as an appetizer this weekend:)Happy week to you, my friend:)

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

You too Lora! :)

Jess — May 10, 2011 @ 11:37 am

yum! now thats how mushrooms should be eaten:)

Kelly — May 10, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

You’re adorable! I have to admit, it makes me feel better to know that you too get writer’s block as you often seem the source of so much lovely prose and good foodie ideas. Glad to know you’re human like the rest of us. :-)

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — May 10, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

mmm so interesting and tasty!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: so where were we « the edible perspective

2. Pingback: Yum Alert: Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries | The Luxury Spot

3. Pingback: Gluten Free Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries ala How Sweet It Is! « Clare Cooks!

4. Pingback: Lindsay Loves #9 | The Lean Green Bean

5. Pingback: Gluten Free Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries | Clare Cooks!

6. Pingback: Weekly Wanderings - Adventures in Life, Love and Librarianship

7. Pingback: Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese {Luxury Pasta Recipe Contest - Win $250!} | New Orleans Moms Blog