I hate to be a cliché, but yeah… I totally am.

It’s just that I adore Mexican food. And with Cinco de Mayo coming up and the fact that Wednesdays are perfect for sangria (did you know??)… well let’s just say that cold margaritas and crisp tacos and salty tortilla chips get me all hot and bothered. Take me out for Mexican and you.will.have.a.good.time.

Too much?

Anywho, I hate to admit it but I’m a bit of a guac snob. Don’t even try to mess with my cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, tomato and lime. Unless you are pushing it out of the way to hand me that necessary tequila shot.

But this past weekend I added mango. You know, that fruit that is juicy and sugary sweet in season or foul and sour when it isn’t ripe for the pickin’? Yes, that one. What’s that? You don’t like it? Well my friend, try and try again. I promise after buying $576 worth of mangos, you will eventually get a delicious one that will change your mind. Or maybe those things just happen to me. If all else fails, simply let it die in your crisper drawer for at least three weeks. Just when you think it is rotting away, it will be squishy and succulent and taste like candy.

Per.

Fect.

Then chop it up with some green stuff.

Mango Guacamole

makes about 1 1/2 cups

4 ripe avocados

1 medium tomato, chopped

1/2 cup chopped mango

1/3 cup chopped red onion

1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

juice of 2 limes

a big bunch of cilantro

Remove avocado meat and combine in a bowl with tomato, jalapeno, onion, mango and a bunch of torn cilantro. Add salt, pepper and lime juice and mix/mash until desired consistency is reached.

Okay. No more Mexican recipes until… tomorrow.

126 Responses to “Mango Guacamole.”

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 4, 2011 @ 7:04 am

I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the 4th, 5th, or 6th of May…

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 4, 2011 @ 7:12 am

I grew up making guacamole and wouldn’t even dare add mango…. I think you just changed my mind ;)

The Teenage Taste — May 4, 2011 @ 7:13 am

I have to agree with Joanna^ I couldn’t picture any better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I am a guacamole snob too and I approve of this recipe. I love the addition of mango! Yum! :-D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 4, 2011 @ 7:16 am

Jus another reason why we are the same. Don’t mess with my guacamole – and don’t even try to serve me guacamole “dip”. That is not guacamole.

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Ew I couldn’t agree more!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 4, 2011 @ 7:19 am

No excuse is necessary for guac, all day every day :D

I love mango salsa, but I think I’m going to save my next mango for this guacamole!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — May 4, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Looks like I’m taking you out for Mexican tonight. And tomorrow. And looking ahead, it’s looks like Mexican all next week. ;)

Clare — May 4, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Sounds perfect!

Melissa — May 4, 2011 @ 7:20 am

I am a bit of a guac snob myself. My mom makes the best, and any other recipe seems to pale in comparison. But she doesn’t put mango in it . . . (shhhh, don’t tell her if I try this!)

Erica — May 4, 2011 @ 7:31 am

I love Mexican too. And I love that cinco de mayo is just another excuse to eat it. Mango in guac? Never would have thought- but the color combo looks pretty ;) Enjoy your dya

cheryl — May 4, 2011 @ 7:32 am

sounds yummy! Here is a quick tip (having lived in SE Asia and Asia for over 8 years … this came in handy) …

If you find an avocado, mango, peach isnt ripe enough for you to use right away, put it in a paper bag on your counter with a banana. Within anywhere from a few hours to over night to a day, the fruit will have ripened.

(scientific reason … bananas give off esters that hasten ripening … you might have noticed in your fruit bowl that anything near a banana gets ripe/rotten faster…)

anyhoo … it really does work :)

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Thanks Cheryl! I always do this with avocado but didn’t know I could do it with mango too.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 4, 2011 @ 7:33 am

I don’t think I’ve ever picked a good mango at the store — I just don’t know what to look for! Thanks for the tip of letting it turn to mush in my fridge :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 4, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Love the addition of mango.. a nice sweet touch! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 4, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I fully support Mexican every day. And this feeds nicely into that.

Gen — May 4, 2011 @ 7:44 am

Yuuum!!!! We have yummy mangos all year round….three different varieties, even….want me to send you some? :D

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Lucky!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 4, 2011 @ 7:47 am

I love mexican food so I love this! This might even beat your avocado and strawberry salsa!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Hmm… I’d like to have a bowl of each for a meal!

Casey Miller — May 4, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Hmmmm I love guac! What I don’t love is when avocados are $2.00 a piece at the grocery store.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — May 4, 2011 @ 7:54 am

Is that a champagne mango? I am obsessed with those right now!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

I don’t think so but I could be wrong.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 4, 2011 @ 7:55 am

I eat my weight in mango during mango season. Because you’re right – it’s just blech when it isn’t the right time. Also…I completely forgot tomorrow is 5 de mayo. All this from a former Spanish teacher. Maybe it’s because I know 5 de mayo isn’t really a holiday for the reason people say? That’s my story!

Jeanette — May 4, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Yummy, what a wonderful combination, sweet, creamy, tangy, all in one bowl!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 4, 2011 @ 7:59 am

I just made guac and posted mine yesterday. Yours with mango in it..to die for!!! YUM!!! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 4, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I agree with your views on Mexican food – I could eat it every day! I’ve got a recipe coming up tomorrow for Cinco de Mayo and I’ve been eating it all week! I used to hate mangos when I lived in the Middle East because it’s really common for them to serve mango juice over there – only it’s not like juice, it’s like syrup because it’s SO strong. However, I’ve sinced re-gained appreciation for them and will most definitely be adding them to guac next time I make it! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 4, 2011 @ 8:09 am

I was just trying to think about what I could do with the mango and avocado I have on hand…problem solved!! :-)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — May 4, 2011 @ 8:14 am

Avocados and mangos were just meant to be paired together. Last night I made shrimp & mango tacos (from the NY Times food section) with guac, and it was so delish! This mango guacamole would have been an even better topping.

Next time :).

Julie (Food & Other Things) — May 4, 2011 @ 8:15 am

I love the idea of adding mango to guacamole! Sounds delicious!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 4, 2011 @ 8:15 am

This looks amazing! I have had the same struggle with mangoes but now I am in love!!!

Amy — May 4, 2011 @ 8:22 am

mango in guac!? sounds amazing. i’ve had a few bad mango purchases, but i agree – when you get a good one – OH MY GOSH. amazing. i think i might have converted my sister – she had too many bad experiences, but i showed her a good one and she loved it! i also love Jillian Michaels California Chicken Salad w/ Avocado and Mango – so this combination in guac just seems right!!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:11 am

That salad sounds delicious.

Amelia — May 4, 2011 @ 8:25 am

Love guac and mangos. Add some hand cut tortillas warm from the oven and I’m in heaven. :)

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Mmmm I wish I had some of those.

Taylor — May 4, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Did Mr. How Sweets like this?? The thought of mango in his guac grosses my bf out but I need this mango guacamole in my life right now!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:11 am

He doesn’t like avocados at all – I think because the texture and color, so he refuses to eat it. I don’t mind!

• Taylor — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

I guess if I make it and he doesn’t like it, there’s just more for me!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Story of my life. ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 4, 2011 @ 8:34 am

nothin’ wrong with being a guac snob, and mango in guac sounds like perfection to me! i can’t wait to feast on Mexican food and sangria all weekend :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 4, 2011 @ 8:55 am

I know what you mean about being a guac snob- I’m totally the same way about salsa! I found an onion, tomato, jalapeno, lime recipe that I love and nothing else can top it!

I’m also a huge fan of mango salsa- this recipe looks incredible!

Molly — May 4, 2011 @ 9:00 am

The thought of mango in guacamole is turning in my head. Sweetness from a mango plus the saltiness of the chip…yes, yes I like this idea!

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 4, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I approve of this very much.

jenna — May 4, 2011 @ 9:13 am

what a fun twist on guacamole! I love it and the sweet addition of mango sounds delish!!

Anne @ Baking Me — May 4, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I love all the Mexican food recipes :) This looks great I have never made my own guacamole, I will have to give this one a try :)

Maria — May 4, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I am obsessed with guac! Love this version!

kelly v — May 4, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I make this at Christmas with pommegranites instead of tomatoes and lots of serano peppers–it disappears as soon as I set it out! Yum!

chloe @ 321delish — May 4, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Chica! I like all of your Mexican themed recipes you have going on. You should have a fiesta :)

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Everyone’s invited!

Donna @ Love, Run & Travel — May 4, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Mmmm mangos + guacamole = perfection
    I want to eat this on fish tacos asap!
    I would have to mess with the recipe and take out the cilantro though, i am weird and can’t stand the stuff :P
    I tried your salt and vinegar battered fish the other day and it was to die for, every time i ate some i had a silent moment first, you know just to savour the moment :D

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Awesome! Glad you liked the fish.

McKella — May 4, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Looks great! I think the secret to great guac is to just mash it with a fork. I can’t stand the storebought or restaurant stuff that’s completely smooth! I like big chunks of avocado. Mmm.

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Couldn’t agree more. I love the texture. I think the store bought as well as a few others have sour cream or something mixed in. I’m not a fan!

Andrea — May 4, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I LOVE the colorful photos. Oh, and I L-O-V-E guacamole.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — May 4, 2011 @ 9:50 am

GORGEOUS – and I love guac….sooo this is being made.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 4, 2011 @ 9:59 am

never TMI ;)

Looks delicious as always! :)

Sarah - Recipe Love — May 4, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Your pictures are gorgeous! I especially love the one of the lime close-up :)

Oh, and, yummy!

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Thank you!

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — May 4, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Wow! It’s like the 12 days of Cinco de Mayo!! Lovin’ it! I really love that first picture you took of all the ingredients. You can totally frame that and sell it! lol

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Hahahah I don’t know about that, but thanks! :)

Jess — May 4, 2011 @ 10:47 am

mangos and avocados are two of the worlds most perfect foods.

Erin — May 4, 2011 @ 10:48 am

I have a mango in my kitchen right now waiting for a purpose in life. Did it contact you?

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 4, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Oh how I love guacamole (too)! I think this mango version would be lovely on some fish.

Kelly — May 4, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I think that makes you timely, not cliche. I love sweet things in guac. My favorite is a recipe that has pear, grapes, and pomegranate seeds in it.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — May 4, 2011 @ 11:20 am

That screams summer time Mexican bbq to me. Delish!

Lauren — May 4, 2011 @ 11:21 am

With your love of guac…I’m wondering if you’ve ventured further to the “sweet side” with the fruit. Have you ever done an avocado frosting? I’m considering trying it, but can’t decide whether to walk that path or not.

• Jessica — May 4th, 2011 @ 11:28 am

I need to!

1. Pingback: Eating Italian on Cinco de Mayo « 321delish

2. Pingback: Great Grub

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #69 – Mango Guacamole « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Mango Guacamole « Brownies and Zucchini

5. Pingback: Grilled Guacamole | Two Peas & Their Pod

6. Pingback: Guacamole Bruschetta Recipe | Bruschetta Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

7. Pingback: Spicy Fish Tacos with Mango Guacamole | Ambitious Kitchen

8. Pingback: Get Cooking With These 39 Mexican Appetizer Recipes - Top Appetizer Recipes

9. Pingback: グアカモーレを食べる21の画期的な方法 | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事とは・・専門家が説明します!

10. Pingback: グアカモーレを食べる21の画期的な方法 | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

11. Pingback: 19 Fun Ways to Eat Homemade Guacamole | Guacamole Recipes - Homemade Recipes