I sort of have a relationship with margaritas.

I’m sort of in love with them.

I’m sort of a huge snob about them.

I’m sort of positive that the only ingredients you need are tequila, grand marnier, lime juice and homemade simple syrup. Nothing else.

I’m sort of still hungover. Good sign.

Margaritas

a single serving

2 ounces Grand Marnier

1 1/2 ounces Tequila

2 ounces lime juice

1 1/2 ounces simple syrup

orange + lemon + lime slices for garnish

salt for the rim

Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in margarita salt. Fill the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, grand marnier, simple syrup and lime juice with ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in lemon, lime and orange slices.

For simple syrup: combine equal parts sugar and water, bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve, then turn off heat and let cool completely.

This recipe can be easily doubled, quadrupled, etc. Since everyone’s tastes differ, add simple syrup 1/4 cup at a time and go from taste. I also suggest buying the lime juice if you plan on making a pitcher (or 2) considering you’d have to squeeze a billion limes to get enough juice.

I’m sort of convinced you don’t need much convincing. Make them.

96 Responses to “Margaritas on the Rocks.”

Gaby — May 14, 2011 @ 10:36 am

If we were neighbors, well, let’s just say it would be a lotta fun – and a lotta margaritas!

Heather — May 14, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Oh how I wish I could partake in a margie right now. And how FUN is that pitcher!!!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 14, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I’m sort of convinced that we have the same taste in our margaritas. Simple and strong enough to taste the alcohol.

I’m sort of convinced if, no when, we get the chance to meet that we must have a margarita together. With a side of a cupcake or a brownie.

Lauren — May 14, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I’m so making these tonight.

Gina @Runningtothekitchen — May 14, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Where did you get that pitcher? love it!

bad margaritas just suck, i’m with you. these looks delicious :)

• Jessica — May 14th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I got it for my wedding in 2008. It’s the Tuscany pitcher by Lenox… not sure if it’s still around or not?

Teags — May 14, 2011 @ 10:42 am

My sewing machine has made me NEED one of these. They look devine.

Erica — May 14, 2011 @ 10:42 am

owww- I love that pitcher- so pretty :) I’ve really only had a couple margaritas in my life and they were all too sweet! I might have to give this a go, post baby of course ;) Enjoy your weekend

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 14, 2011 @ 10:46 am

My perfect margarita is tequila + fresh lime juice + agave and ice. That’s it.

Sarah - Recipe Love — May 14, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Yum!

And I love the picture of the pitcher :) Gorgeous colors!

Ashley — May 14, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Love the colors!! 3rd photo is my faaavorite!! :)

Jami — May 14, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Oh man. This was not the post to read after coming back from the gym. I could sit on my porch and sip on these bad boys until the sun went down. Thank goodness that I have a bottle of simple syrup in my fridge and don’t need to go and make it. I usually use the juice of 1/2 lime, 1/2 lemon and 1/2 an orange to a splash of simple syrup and shot and a half of tequila when I make my margaritas. And…by using half of the fruit for the first drink you have to make a second, right? I mean, you don’t want to waste it :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 14, 2011 @ 10:55 am

I feel like this could be a loaded question, but have you ever tried the Skinny Girl margaritas? I had one for the first time the other night and was surprised at how strong it was, which was good- I hate super sweet cocktails!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 14, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Ok I definitely need a drink later today — you have a margarita recipe and Oh She Glows has a sangria recipe. I’m taking it as a sign! :)

Julie H. — May 14, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Glad I’m not the only one with a relationship with margaritas! I LOVE them so truly! ….Only down side, my husband said “Can I try one?” just once and now he thinks he needs to drink them when I make them. Less for me.
    If you make frozen ones…. TIP: use an egg white and they will come out SUPER frothy! Delicious!!!!

Abby — May 14, 2011 @ 11:04 am

I’d like one of these after the race tomorrow. K? Can you be at the finish line for me?

Melissa — May 14, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Mmmmm . . . margaritas are the stuff of life. These look perfect–I hate when it’s icky and sweet. I’m with Gabriella above–The Skinnygirl Margaritas are surprisingly good! Not super sweet, but nice and strong! :)

Keri — May 14, 2011 @ 11:44 am

try Agave Nectar it’s 1½ times sweeter than table sugar so it requires less for the same sweetness. Agave also has a low glycemic index. LOVE YOUR SITE !!! and I do the same type of margaritas all the time. LOVE IT.

Katrina — May 14, 2011 @ 11:55 am

I always thought these were blended! Love the idea of doing this with them though. Yum. Plain and simply, yum.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — May 14, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Those look amazing!

Chrissy — May 14, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

I want that pitcher!!! It’s so awesome!!!

Kristina @ spabettie — May 14, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I want that pitcher!! these look beautiful. and tasty. can I come over? nothing better for a hangover than another margarita! :D

Cara — May 14, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Love all the fruit slices! They look so refreshing!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 14, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Oooh I love the citrus in the clear vase. You could almost convince someone that it’s just flavored spa water. Until they get a whiff of what’s in there!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — May 14, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Yours look so pretty and colorful with the citrus slices! I agree, margaritas on the rocks are best with only a few simple ingredients.

Alaina — May 14, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Those colors make me so happy.

I’m sure the booze would make me even more happy. :-)

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 14, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

I don’t mean to be redundant of everyone that commented before me, but I am IN LOVE with that pitcher! Especially filled with all the citrus fruit–gorgeous! This looks delicious….

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 14, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I love margaritas – but they have to have really good tequila in them or else I will be a goner.

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit — May 14, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

this sounds DELISH! and the pictures are beaut, as always :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 14, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

That pitcher is so cool! Trying not to drool over the drinks – I want one. Damn baby not being able to handle his liquor yet lol jK ;)

Brooke @ Bittersweetb — May 14, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

I love me a good margarita!

Kath — May 14, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Photos are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Alexandra — May 14, 2011 @ 3:51 pm

YUM!

Christine — May 14, 2011 @ 4:07 pm

Sold!

Marina — May 14, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

That pitcher looks awesome.
    Love the margaritas! Or any kind of cocktail for that matter :)

Allison @ Novice Life — May 14, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

My mouth is watering!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — May 14, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I’m sort of convinced that I have to make these now.
    And maybe make myself more than one.
    I’ll be home alone tonight and no one will ever know how many I drink! ;-)

Lauren — May 14, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

I think this looks fantastic-and I’d totally stick to your suggestions here regarding the simple syrup. I don’t drink that often, so when I do, I don’t want to mess with the flavor. No alternatives!
    Can’t wait to give it a try.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — May 14, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Just landed in Aruba. It’s the day of my 10 year wedding anniversary. And I just got published in a magazine.

It’s totally margarita time for me. They look amazing and I used to drink Grandma, i.e. Gran Marnier, ALL the time! Need to get back to it :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — May 14, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

yummm! and i am in love with the glass container, that thing is sweeet!

Kaylie — May 14, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

LOVE the pitcher you have. Where did you get that? And I’ve never tried margaritas (and need to when I turn 21..) but you should do a mojito recipe. They’re my favorite. I just got back from Spain and had them on the regular. Apparently they are a rarity in the US but I am hoping to bring on the trend.

• Jessica — May 14th, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

It is the Tuscany pitcher by Lenox – but it is from 2008. And we love mojitos! They are my husband’s favorite drink.

Andrea — May 14, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

I mix a pitcher Christmas morning……such a festive drink…………..somehow the turkey gets cooked….but dinner is later every year! x

Gina @ Skinnytaste — May 14, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

I’ve never been a fan but yours looks so fresh!! I think I will try them and see if I might change how I feel about them.

Cookin' Canuck — May 14, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

All the fresh citrus makes these margaritas so tempting. Perfect for the hot weather that’s arriving.

Lucy @ Lucy eats — May 14, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

Delish. And eating the fruit afterwards? Awesome.

marla — May 15, 2011 @ 12:11 am

Looks like you probably are having a very fun evening with these :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — May 15, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I love your citrus slices! They are gorgeous! :)

Mo'Betta — May 15, 2011 @ 7:50 am

You’ve posted a lot of great recipes and pics, but this my be the best one. Ever. I do love a margarita (or several). You rock!

Lisa {smart food and fit} — May 15, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Oh yeah, this is perfect for those nights when your kids drive you absolutely crazy! :)

Becky — May 15, 2011 @ 10:54 am

I agree this recipe is the best – I still can’t believe people drink that pre-made mix! Awful! Have you ever tried mixing 1/2 sugar and 1/2 salt for the rim? Learned that from an old bartender friend, seems like a small detail but makes a big difference I think, delicious!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — May 15, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

Oh yum! I love margaritas on the rocks and can’t wait to try this recipe! :)

1. Pingback: Last Supper | Heather's Dish