File the following under my list of current obsessions.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Perfect single serving margaritas… with lots of salt.

Creating the extra smokey [aqua] eye with a $24 dollar brush and MAC’s Talent Pool.

Surviving on toast, cheese, chocolate, avocado and butter-sauteed mushrooms while playing single lady for an entire week.

Real World. What.a.trainwreck. But I don’t watch it. That’s just what I’ve heard.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Searching for the only self tanner in the universe that doesn’t turn me 6 shades of dirty Jersey Shore orange.

Hugging it out.

Daily long walks that are triumphant to any other form of cardio.

Ice cold water studded with strawberries and cucumbers.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

See also:

Trashy celeb magazines.

Blake Shelton. Huuuuuuge girl crush.

Pinterest. Still can’t stop.

Vacuuming up a 2 pound container of spilled sprinkles in the crevice of my counter.

Eating burgers off of English muffins.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Have you ever eater a burger on top of the crusty nooks and crannies? Obsessed. I can’t get over the toastiness and the crunchiness and all-around goodness.

My current fixation on mushrooms finally led me down the dusty and sometime-fungied path of a giant portobello burger. I’m waaay too much of a beef lover to order something like this on the reg, so I took it upon myself to create a little snack that I am now enamored with.

Buttery roasted garlic, creamy avocado, marinated portobello caps and syrupy balsamic. Oh, and two thick slices of gouda. What are you waiting for?

Imagine how much better your day is going to get after eating this. I think it’s time to drop whatever you’re doing and make one. You have my permission.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic

makes 4 burgers

4 English muffins (light multigrain are our favorites)

4 portobello mushroom caps

for mushroom marinade:

1/3 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons cooking sherry

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 garlic clove, minced

Two hours before serving, combine the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish and add mushrooms. I let them lay on their top side in the marinade, and spoon some marinade into the bottom-up side to let it soak. Marinate for two hours.

One hour before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice off the top of the heads of garlic and drizzle a bit of olive oil (1/2 tablespoon) on top. Wrap in foil and roast for 45 minutes. Let cool completely. Heat the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, then turn off heat and set aside to thicken.

Slice red onion into rings and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil into a large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and let soften and caramelize for 10-12 minutes. Set aside once finished, leaving the skillet on. Add the marinated mushrooms to the skillet top side up. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 4 more. Turn back over, add a slice of gouda on top, and turn off heat.

Toast the English muffins. Using your fingers, squeeze roasted garlic out of the head into a bowl. Mash with a spoon. Spread on both sides of each English muffin.

Top English muffin with a portobello cap, onion rings, tomato, avocado, and butter lettuce. I recommend a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on the tomato and avocado for flavor. Finish with a drizzle of syrupy balsamic and serve.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Only made better with bacon. Duh.

155 Responses to “Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic.”

Maris (In Good Taste) — May 23, 2011 @ 7:01 am

These look insanely delicious! Absolutely love everything on them!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 23, 2011 @ 7:02 am

I absolutely love portobello mushrooms. I’ve got two in my fridge right now being marinated for dinner tonight already! Fire up the grill!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 23, 2011 @ 7:04 am

I love how easy and tasty portobella mushrooms are…and on top of english muffins…perfection! and I need to go see what pinterest is because I’ve been hearing about it but haven’t checked it out yet!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 23, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I love everything about this recipe. Every single thing.

Noelle — May 23, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I am all over this! Portabellos are the best. I make them often and even now my husband shares with others his like for mushrooms since marrying me. How sweet eh?

By the way, did you receive me email? Any good places to eat in your neck of the woods for lunch? We will be there on Sunday. Thanks a bunch! By the way, you should make homemade onion rings. Da bomb!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — May 23, 2011 @ 7:06 am

A. I love Blake Shelton and will fight you for him. :)
    B. If you find a self tanner that makes you bronze and not orange please share with your readers. Some of us share the curse of fair skin!
    C. These look amazing, and I’m realizing that I’ve never had Gouda. Must remedy this.

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Never?! Oh dear.

Erica — May 23, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I <3 trashy TV, nothing wrong :) I wish I liked mushrooms! Portobello burgers always look like so much fun. Boo to not liking mushrooms! I haven't made burgers on english muffins, but I have done english muffin pizzas and those are incredible. Must try turkey burgers on english muffins! Have a good Monday

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 23, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Playing single lady always leads me down paths of similar food choices. :) This looks delicious!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 23, 2011 @ 7:31 am

This is my favorite thing you’ve made. What can I say, I’m a simple girl. It looks beautiful and delicious!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Thanks Sarena!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 23, 2011 @ 7:40 am

i think what really won me over was the huge thick slices of cheese…that’s heaven in a sandwich!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 23, 2011 @ 7:40 am

This looks so buttery and delicious! And you are so right about having burgers on eng muffins — the crustiness is just too good!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:55 am

I’m obsessed with them!

Julie @ Shining From Within — May 23, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Mmmmm..i love the mushroom + gouda combo!

Gen — May 23, 2011 @ 8:04 am

These look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing yet another wonderful recipe!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:55 am

I heart your excitement.

Andrea@Vegvacious — May 23, 2011 @ 8:06 am

This looks amazing! Portabella burgers are my fave!!

Kim@ The Future Dr. B-S — May 23, 2011 @ 8:12 am

I love roasting my onions like that- they become so awesome! I have no idea about that Real World stuff either! :-)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 23, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Yay, a little something for the veggies! This looks terrific!

Riss — May 23, 2011 @ 8:16 am

I just loooooove English muffins! And anything served with gouda gets two thumbs up (and a big toe) in my book!

Definitely throw some bacon on there, too… I won’t tell. I promise.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 23, 2011 @ 8:19 am

These look so much better than any portobello burger you could find in a restaurant! Loving these.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — May 23, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Can I have this for breakfast?

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I think the real question is why wouldn’t you have this for breakfast?

Shugary Sweet — May 23, 2011 @ 8:50 am

That looks amazing. Yum. Sadly my husband is terrified of mushrooms, and there is no hiding that beauty. I may just have to make that for myself for lunch :)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — May 23, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I’ve got about 7 days left of a vegetarian challenge I’m doing and this needs to be involved immediately. I also only eat burgers on an english muffin, it’s 100% the way to go.

Nancy C — May 23, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Hey! What’s with the dirty Jersey comment!?! You’re lucky I love your blog :-)

Kim in MD — May 23, 2011 @ 9:04 am

I am so drooling over this burger right now! Oh- and I totally agree with you about Blake Shelton! I am loving him on The Voice! :-)

julia — May 23, 2011 @ 9:24 am

I’ve seen burgers on english muffins but was too scared to try it. I will now, it’s a fact.
    I pinned this, because I too, have an addiction.

HAYLEY — May 23, 2011 @ 9:33 am

YUMMO!!!! Just to reply to your tanner question! Sttropaztanning.com! The St. Tropaz bronzing mousse is AMAZING! great golden color NEVER orange an it smells great not like a normal self tanner. You can find it at Sephora.com or a local Sephora!!! Check it out.

Erin — May 23, 2011 @ 9:47 am

I’ve loved burgers on the nooks a crannies since stumbling upon the combo in my poor single days….

Oh and PS I am dying to try pinterest…. Still waiting for an invite :( :( :( :(

jenna — May 23, 2011 @ 9:48 am

I’m not a big meat eater so these burgers are perfect for me!! they look so flavorful! i love the english muffin idea too!

Erin — May 23, 2011 @ 9:51 am

PS I like using the jergens lotion for tanning… I’m very fair skinned and it doesn’t turn my difty jersey orange… I like the Dove face lotion for tanning over the jergens though…

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — May 23, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I’m pretty sure I would love this too! Looks crazy GOOD

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 23, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Looks delicious. Who needs beef when a portabella can look that good :)? I’ll have to second the comment on jergens self tanner. They make a spectacular face tanner (with moisterizer and spf) that actually smells good. The body self tanner works well too but definitely has an …unpleasant… odor.

Maria — May 23, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Perfect for summer bbq’s!

Laura — May 23, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Feel free to share whatever self-tanners you find that work! I’ve got a great shade of blinding Michigan white going on over here. Thanks!

TrishR — May 23, 2011 @ 10:20 am

As a relatively new Reader, I was falling in love with your blog! Until the “Dirty Jersey Orange” comment :-( Now I understand perhaps your opinions of Jersey are formed by those Jersey Shore freaks, so if that’s the case, could we get a correction to “Dirty ‘Jersey Shore’ Orange”??!! ‘Cause most of us are lovely and our skin colors are truly found in nature….

:-)

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 10:21 am

Hehehe Trish don’t worry, I love Jersey too. Go there every June, will be there in 3 weeks!

• TrishR — May 23rd, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Oh, OK!!! Come visit – I’ll bake for you!! :-D

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — May 23, 2011 @ 10:24 am

I love grilled portobellos…seriously they are just sooo good! Yours look perfect! :)

Mac brushes, margaritas, pinterest…yep, I can get down with all that!

tina @ vanillandspice — May 23, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I have been on the hunt for a self tanner that doesn’t turn me into an umpa lumpa for years, so if you do find one please let me know!
    ps.. Those burgers look perfect.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 23, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Portobello burgers are so delicious–I love all your additions. Bring on the summer grilling season! :-)

TheMeatHouse — May 23, 2011 @ 10:44 am

These look delicious! You sure fooled me, I really thought they were beef burgers. But they would really be perfect with some crispy bacon on top!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I’m thinking they’d also be good with a burger IN it! That’s the next meal.

• TheMeatHouse — May 23rd, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

I’m thinking our cheddar and bacon stuffed hamburgers would make your day.

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I’m agreeing with that!

Cara — May 23, 2011 @ 10:45 am

That looks absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try it! I also am pretty excited about the idea of burgers on an english muffin! I never though of that but I bet it is amazing!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 11:36 am

You gotta try it! SO good.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — May 23, 2011 @ 11:06 am

You know how to make a burger look gooooooooooood!! :)

This looks amazing!!

Cookbook Queen — May 23, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Real World–Zito is a hot mess. What is girlfriend thinking, still messing with him? (or so I’ve heard)

Talent Pool? Off to check Sephora. (I’m obsessed with any and all Too Faced palates, too)

Obvs, you have good taste. So I’m trusting your english muffin mushroom burgers are fab. But I’m going to have to make them just to be extra sure.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 23, 2011 @ 11:16 am

That’s the most mouthwatering meatless burger I’ve ever seen! What a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

EatLiveRun — May 23, 2011 @ 11:25 am

looks fabulous!! I love portobello burgers in the summer and it’s pretty much the only vegetarian dish Adam will touch…

Breanna — May 23, 2011 @ 11:41 am

I want to back up Hayley on this, St. Tropez is the only self-tanner that won’t turn me radioactive cheeto, it’s fabulous. It’s an actual brown and it doesn’t have that odd musty smell that so often accompanies self-tanners. Get thee to Sephora!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — May 23, 2011 @ 11:41 am

Oh, yeah!! Grilled portobello burgers are the best! Never had it on an English muffin, but I’m just about to get in the kitchen and fix that oversight :-)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 23, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I am not a huge mushroom fan but these sure do look tasty.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — May 23, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Right there with ya on the Blake Shelton crush! Love all the pics of his and Miranda’s wedding. And these Portobello Gouda Burgers look AMAZING!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — May 23, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

mmmm…. looks fantastic!

Natalia - a side of simple — May 23, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Just the thought of bacon, cheddar, and roasted garlic makes me swoon. Let’s get married already ;)

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Can I carry a bacon bouquet?

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — May 23, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

These are making my mouth water for sure! I bet it’s super juicy! And with Gouda? That’s my fav. I’ve never marinated mine… great idea! I’ll try that next time for sure!

• Jessica — May 23rd, 2011 @ 12:36 pm

Beware. It’s addicting.

Katrina — May 23, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Great recipe! This is my kind of dish!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: 3 Square Meals | Yes, I want cake.

2. Pingback: dive into summer — Eat, Live, Run

3. Pingback: Portobello Burger

4. Pingback: Garlic Scape Pesto and Portobello Burger for One « 321delish

5. Pingback: Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

6. Pingback: 2011 Blogger Love « Make It Naked

7. Pingback: Crockpot Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Portobello Burgers with Gouda and Roasted Garlic | Galaxy Fitness Club's Blog

9. Pingback: Portobello Burgers with Guoda and Roasted Garlic | Westmoreland Athletic Club's Blog

10. Pingback: Balsamic Portobello Burgers with Pepper Jack Cheese and Roasted Garlic | Kathleen's Mean Bean Machine

11. Pingback: 2011 Blogger Love | Make it Naked

12. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: The Best Thing I Ever Made | Little Red Delicious

14. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Climbing Grier Mountain » foodie fridays: portobello burgers with roasted garlic

16. Pingback: Quickie Black Beans and Meatless Meals For Lent | Aggie's Kitchen

17. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

18. Pingback: Setting the Table: Festive 4th | Channeling Contessa

19. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo. | How Sweet It Is