The jig is up.

It’s time for some new snacks around here. Don’tcha think?

You really don’t believe I can survive on peanut butter slathered bacon and margs, do you?

Don’t answer that.

I do, which is half the problem.

Anyway! I made something.

Strawberry chunks.

Mango matchsticks.

Kiwi cubes. Cute little see-through wraps. Sticky vanilla honey to dip.

Fun, right? Different? Non-boring? Colorful? I thought so too. I need a little of that in my life.

Springs of fresh mint add some zing too. Are you one of those people that bites a mint leaf and chews it? I totally am. Some days it’s the only leafy greenery I absorb.

The best snacks can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. Chop, wrap, dip and you have a full belly.

Oh… but there is one thing.

Good grief.

Have you ever tried to use rice paper wrappers? Yeah. Disaster time. Thank goodness I bought an extra package. I’m not exactly cultured, so this was a lesson to be learned. They stuck to my hands and then ripped in two and they were too wet then too dry then too thin then too sticky then looked ugly. I decided that my favorite way to use them was to double them up. Thoughts from my rice paper connoisseurs? It worked.

Just… don’t be like me. Be patient. You will be juuuust fine.

Tropical Kiwi Strawberry Spring Rolls

adapted from Veg Times

makes 6 or 12 rolls, depending if you double wrap them

12 rice paper wrappers (I found mine at Whole Foods)

1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries

2 firm yellow bananas, chopped

1 mango, cut into matchsticks

3 kiwi, chopped

a bunch of fresh mint

Note: I double wrapped my rolls, resulting in 6 roles. If you use one wrap, you obviously will end up with 12 rolls. The amount of fruit you need will be dependent on how much you add. I added about a tablespoon of berries, kiwi and banana each, and 6-8 mango sticks, plus 2-3 mint leaves. You may want more or less. I used half the amount of fruit here for 6 rolls, so this *should* be enough for 12, just use your eye.

Fill a large baking dish with warm water. I found that the easiest way to makes the rolls was to take the dry rice paper, dip it in the water very quickly (less than 5 seconds), then pat dry with a paper towel. Either add your second paper on top (if making 6 rolls) or begin filling. Add fruit in the middle of the wrap; I used mango on the bottom, then stuffed with the remaining fruit. Some mint leaves I chopped, others I left whole – it’s all on your preference. Once the fruit is on the wrap, fold up the bottom and tuck under the fruit. Fold in each side (like you would with a burrito), then roll the wrap to the end. It should seal itself since the wrap is damp. Eat whole or slice in the middle at an angle. Serve with honey dipping sauce.

Vanilla Lime Honey Dipping Sauce

1/3 cup honey

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

contents of 1/2 vanilla bean

zest of one lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Serve!

I’m pretty tan, eh?

146 Responses to “Tropical Kiwi Strawberry Spring Rolls.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 19, 2011 @ 7:06 am

This is SUCH a good idea! I love how this isn’t the usual thing you would find in spring rolls, and so perfect for spring!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — May 19, 2011 @ 7:10 am

LOVE these gorgeous, fruit-filled spring rolls! I’ve never worked with rice paper wrappers, only wonton wrappers… so thanks for the heads-up. I’d definitely like to make these, and it’s good to know that doubling up the wrappers works.

Holly — May 19, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Love this idea!! I absolutely love summer rolls at Thai restaurants (with the peanut sauce- yum!) And these look like a delicious spin on them- PERFECT summer food :) if I didn’t already have my lunch made, I would make these! (Oh, and well, rice papers would help too- don’t have those. Lol!)
    Gotta try these asap! Oh and I love the mint in mojitos- that’s my favorite part!
    Ps: I got all of the ingredients for your soup recipe- trying it this weekend :)

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 7:26 am

Let me know if you like the soup!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 19, 2011 @ 7:22 am

You’re more tan than me – I seriously astonish people with my bronze skin. Or they might just be afraid because I’m see through.

That looks like a really fun snack – where do you get your rice wrappers from?

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 7:25 am

Whole Foods! Buuuuut what I didn’t include in this post is that I drove 50 miles and searched for 3 hours for them.

• Nikki — May 26th, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

You can get them in the asian isle of Save-On Foods too.

Erica — May 19, 2011 @ 7:23 am

ow! Totally my kind of dessert- yum yum! I bet they’d be good with cool whip fruit dip (cool whip+ container of fruity yogurt). Deliciousness. So pretty too. Love!

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 7:25 am

I think so too!

Krissy @ Make It Naked — May 19, 2011 @ 7:27 am

These look amazing! Fun and beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to try them. I live scary close to a Whole Foods and now I must go.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 19, 2011 @ 7:27 am

This looks like the perfect summer dessert! So light & refreshing :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 19, 2011 @ 7:32 am

Love this idea! I bet this would make a wonderful after-school snack for kids:-)

Hayley — May 19, 2011 @ 7:32 am

I love this idea! The dip sounds so yummy with it too. Definitely making this for summer outings.

Gen — May 19, 2011 @ 7:37 am

Oh my! These look soooo yummy!!!!!! And so does the vanilla honey! :D

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 19, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Jessica, these are sooo fun! I can imagine them served up at parties this summer. I too would need multiple packs of the wrappers to get it right. xo

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 19, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Very pretty! I’m not good with rice paper wrappers either. Doubling up is a good idea, or using less filling. Love the looks of that dipping sauce! I have to say I’m surprised you didn’t deep fry these bad boys and coat them in powdered sugar! LOL!

Ashli — May 19, 2011 @ 7:40 am

I really thought you were going to fry these! lol! :D

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 19, 2011 @ 7:43 am

What a good idea! I love spring rolls and have never thought to put anything different in them.

Blog is the New Black — May 19, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Yum!!!! Love all those fruits, this looks amazing!!!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 19, 2011 @ 7:45 am

Vanilla Lime Honey: can it … should it … be eaten with a spoon? I’ll let you know!

Christina — May 19, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Love the idea Jessica! So bright and cherry. Perfect for all these RAINY days!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 19, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Now that is my kind of treat! Perfectly refreshing and sweet! They look beautiful!

Sam — May 19, 2011 @ 8:00 am

These look so delicious! I love your photography as well. You would never know that there were rice paper problems :)

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 9:00 am

Thanks! Um… that’s only because I destroyed 12 before making these ones.

Kim in MD — May 19, 2011 @ 8:02 am

What a great idea to use fruit in the rice paper wrappers! This looks so light and refreshing…you are a genious, Jessica! :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 19, 2011 @ 8:09 am

These are so cute! I had raw spring rolls when I went out for lunch on Tuesday, but I LOVE the idea of filling the rice paper with fruit!

Amy — May 19, 2011 @ 8:14 am

wow! so unique and beautiful! and they look very tastey! what do the rice paper wrappers taste like? i’ve never heard of eating them “raw” before.

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I really don’t think they have much taste, but I absolutely LOVE the texture of them raw! They are chewy!

Ashley — May 19, 2011 @ 8:26 am

What a savvy idea!!! Love it!! This would be great as a party appetizer. :)

Jeanette — May 19, 2011 @ 8:27 am

These are gorgeous and so healthy! Love all the naturally beautiful mix of colors from all the fruits and this honey dip makes these spring rolls extra fun to eat!

Gina @Runningtothekitchen — May 19, 2011 @ 8:28 am

These are gorgeous! I just took a Thai cooking class and we used these wrappers. Our instructor had us fill a pan with warm water and keep them in there for a couple minutes until they softened and then they weren’t too bad to work with. patience is key though :)

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Those were also the directions on the package, but when I did that I found them so difficult to use! But I have no patience. :)

Shannon — May 19, 2011 @ 8:38 am

These are adorable! I have been reluctant to make spring rolls because the wrappers are intimidating… luckily there’s an ethnic grocer in town that sells them for about a buck a package. I’ll have to be sure to buy extra!

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 8:59 am

They weren’t too expensive at Whole Foods either… I think $2.09 for 12?

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 19, 2011 @ 8:53 am

oh my gosh what a fantastic idea! i don’t love kiwi unless it’s really small and mixed with something else…perfect way to accomplish that ;)

barefootgirl27 — May 19, 2011 @ 8:54 am

I love this idea! I dod you know what section in Whole Foods you found them? I have searched my WF a few times & haven’t found them

Of course, I never thought to ask for help……..

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 8:58 am

In the Asian foods section!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 19, 2011 @ 8:56 am

Oh these look perfect! Now if only we could get a little sun here in Michigan to go along with them! :)

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 8:58 am

I feel your pain. We are supposed to have rain here for the next 60 days or something ridiculous like that.

Beth — May 19, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Those are so pretty! I love pretty food. Strawberries + mango + kiwi = my three favorite fruits. Spring roll wrappers are tricky. I made HEAB’s spring rolls a while ago and ruined more spring roll wrappers than I would like to admit.

Brooke @ bittersweetb — May 19, 2011 @ 9:08 am

The rice paper wraps are so tricky little buggers, I’ve used them once and I’ve been afraid to try again but they look so refreshing and yummy I just might have to try again!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 19, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I think I’ll skip the rice paper thingees and just put the fruit and sauce on top of some yogurt. :-) Looks great!

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd — May 19, 2011 @ 9:13 am

I go to Thai/Veitnamese food justt for the spring rolls. These look incredible for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Diana Amy — May 19, 2011 @ 9:13 am

wait….these are healthy. I’m confused. Haha they look so delicious! Perfect for a summer brunch – a little breakfast-y, a little lunch-y, so fresh and colorful! Thanks for the idea!

Melissa — May 19, 2011 @ 9:14 am

I would be a hot mess with those wrappers! But these look like they might be worth it!

Leigh — May 19, 2011 @ 9:27 am

New blogger here :)

Can I please make and eat 1 or 25 of these….This is summer in a food.

Ricki — May 19, 2011 @ 9:30 am

What a great idea! That dipping sauce sounds divine!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — May 19, 2011 @ 9:32 am

oooooooooh this is amazing!! This would be awesome to bring to a spring pot luck!

The trick to the wraps is you soak them in warm water, and take them out when they are still a wee bit crunchy, as you fill your wrap and fold it, it continues to soften up!! :)

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 9:38 am

That’s exactly what I did and it worked like a charm!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 19, 2011 @ 9:32 am

These are gorgeous! I don’t think I’d have the patience to chop all the fruit without eating 3/4s of it, much less wrap it in those delicate papers.

Shugary Sweet — May 19, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Yum, I have a very similar fruit mixture that I eat with cinnamon pita chips. Never thought to wrap it up! Thanks for the recipe and idea!
    -Aimee

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 19, 2011 @ 9:50 am

Aw, these are just adorable.

Heather — May 19, 2011 @ 9:57 am

This is so cool!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — May 19, 2011 @ 10:00 am

These look great! Do you know how long they’d last in the fridge? I think they’d be perfect for a party I’m having, but I’d want to make them at least the day before. Do you think they’d hold up?

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Hi Dorothy!
      I would not make them the day before. It would be the equivalent of making fruit salad the day before – the fruit can get mushy and you want it to be fresh. They honestly took MINUTES to make once I got the hold of the spring wraps. I think you should buy the wraps (they are cheap), practice the day before with one or two (it could be your lunch!) and then what if you chopped the mangoes and strawberries the night before, keep them separate in the fridge under saran wrap, chop the kiwis and banana in the morning and make the wraps a few hours before?

Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen — May 19, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Mmmm, these look delicious. The perfect snack! Although, I would totally eat chocolate bacon for a snack anytime too, but I shouldn’t. My pants will stop fitting…

Kate — May 19, 2011 @ 10:10 am

These look amazing. I love spring rolls and had never thought of modifying them by adding fruit (which I also love). Great idea, I’m making a menu plan around these as I type.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — May 19, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Okay. Please don’t laugh. I have never had a spring roll. The fact that I can see through the rice paper makes me cringe. I think they look like sea creatures. I know…I am a total whackjob!
    However, the filling? It looks absolute amazing!

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — May 19, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Looks refreshing and easy! Well, except for the rice paper part…I’ve never used them but I’d be willing to give them a try!

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

You’ll love them!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 19, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Those are simply precious! :)

I totally agree re the rice paper wrappers, not very cooperative! Love the vanilla bean dipping sauce mmm mmmm! :)

Amanda — May 19, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Couldn’t stumble this fast enough… WOW!!! Love!

Shanna, Like Banana — May 19, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Love this as a summer bbq idea. And I knew the dipping sauce was going to be a winner, saucy lady!

1. Pingback: I want to make this right now: | pinkbriefcase

2. Pingback: Tropical Kiwi Strawberry Spring Rolls | Foodbeast

3. Pingback: Favorites Friday: My Favorite Posts of the Week | The Journey to Marvelous

4. Pingback: Crispy Shrimp and Mango Lettuce Wraps | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Tropical Kiwi Strawberry Spring Rolls totally Vegan except Honey

6. Pingback: Healthy Living » Blog Archive » 31 Healthy Snacks for Fruit Lovers

7. Pingback: 31 Healthy Snacks for Fruit Lovers - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

8. Pingback: HealthFit Magazine – 31 HEALTHY SNACKS FOR FRUIT LOVERS

9. Pingback: 31 Healthy Snacks for Fruit Lovers

10. Pingback: 14 Unbelievably Creative Things To Do With Fruit

11. Pingback: 食課 | 夏天裡的玉井芒果市集

12. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

13. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer - FitnessFocussed.com

14. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer | Complete Recipe

15. Pingback: 65 Healthy Vegetarian Snack Ideas

16. Pingback: I want to make this right now: | pink-briefcase

17. Pingback: 5 Gorgeous (and Healthy!) Spring Rolls You Can Totally Make

18. Pingback: 5 Gorgeous (and Healthy!) Spring Rolls You Can Totally MakeHealthy Living | Healthy Living

19. Pingback: 5 Gorgeous (and Healthy!) Spring Rolls You Can Totally Make | nWhy

20. Pingback: 5 Gorgeous (and Healthy!) Spring Rolls You Can Totally Make - Everything Sugar

21. Pingback: 5 Gorgeous (and Healthy!) Spring Rolls You Can Totally Make | Women Magazine News

22. Pingback: My Get Fit Journey

23. Pingback: Tropical Kiwi Strawberry Spring Rolls with a Vanilla Lime Honey… | Dieting 'n' Fitness