Sooo… it appears that this whole wheat thing isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, is it? Drats.

Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat cakes, whole wheat breads, whole wheat muffins… looks like we’re in for the long haul. About 5 miles away Mother Lovett just took a good long roll in her grave and asked Jesus (I hope) for another slice of buttered white bread.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the wheat-loving gene. I like things hearty. It obviously came from my dad’s side, as my mom can’t fathom life without fluffy Town Talk bread, greasy Ritz crackers and enriched flour-laced angel hair. Mom’s motto: wheat is atrocious.

I firmly believe that there is a time and a place for wheat, and well… dessert isn’t it. But last week I got a bit saucy with our Sunday night dessert and threw whole wheat flour into the cookie instead of the regular stuff. Wild, I know.

I live on the edge.

And I teased you about it. My apologies.

You should know a few things:

1. Wheat cookie bowls don’t taste like they have wheat in them. Win.

2. They have (lots of?) butter. Wheat totally cancels that out. (<— good at math.)

3. They are best when left gooey, but if that whole raw egg thing skeeves you out, then… eat them fully baked. In which case you won’t have truly lived, but I forgive you.

4. I obnoxiously stood over the sink last night and ate all the crispy skin off a freshly roasted chicken. Then tried on bathing suits and cried. Overshare?

Look! They are just begging you to make them.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls

makes 4 ramekins (3 1/2 x 2)

1 stick butter, softened

3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside in a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spray 4 oven-safe ramekins with non-stick spray and divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Press the dough into the ramekin – each one should have about 1/3-1/2 cup dough.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the middle is still slightly gooey. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes until they can be handled then serve with vanilla ice cream.

Note: I don’t think the whole wheat pastry flour is “study” enough to make this recipe in cookie form but I have yet to try. It works perfectly for the cups!

Bake them? Don’t make me ask you twice.

168 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls.”

Nicole — May 5, 2011 @ 7:04 am

So excited that you finally posted this recipe, can’t wait to give it a try!!

Three-Cookies — May 5, 2011 @ 7:06 am

Is this a cookie or a brownie, or a brookie?

The Teenage Taste — May 5, 2011 @ 7:06 am

Chocolate Chip Cookie CAKE?! Can you send me 32999? ;-)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:51 am

That may be a bit pricey to ship.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 5, 2011 @ 7:07 am

I wouldnt have even bothered baking them. That 1st unbaked ramekin has my name all over it…cookie dough :)

VeggieGirl — May 5, 2011 @ 7:07 am

Must. have. this.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 5, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Oh good Lord.

That’s all I can muster up.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 5, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Mmm this sounds sinful. It reminds me of the cookie volcano from chili’s. But much better. I does have whole wheat, right?

Crystal — May 5, 2011 @ 7:10 am

I’m pretty sure I would just want to skip the baking part and eat the spoonful of raw cookie dough.. I live life on the edge- yum:)

• Baking 'n' Books — May 5th, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

Ditto – I have no shame – raw egg or not…holy YUM.

Meh – wheat is over-rated. Its really not that much of a difference so I say go for what you want :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 5, 2011 @ 7:16 am

I could live on cookie dough!

I love baking with whole wheat pastry flour, or at least half it with all purpose flour :)

Sanjeeta kk — May 5, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Awee..love the idea of cookie bowls!! He..he..’they are begging’… they really are cute. Very creative and lovely idea to use the Ramekins. Glad to have followed a tweet to come to this beautiful space.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — May 5, 2011 @ 7:20 am

The whole wheat flour totally cancels out the large amount of butter. Good work. :-)

Ana Powell — May 5, 2011 @ 7:21 am

I want to make everything is post, awesome “cookiecake” ♥

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 5, 2011 @ 7:29 am

ok fine, just twist my are why don’t ya! :) i don’t love whole wheat flour in baking, but i DO love the flavor and texture of it. nate will die when i make these!

Sara — May 5, 2011 @ 7:30 am

I’m so glad you posted the recipe! My hubby saw the pic over my shoulder the other day and almost started drooling. Can’t wait to make them.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 5, 2011 @ 7:32 am

Sweet Jesus. Anything with that much butter, involves being left partially raw, and can be slathered in ice cream sounds divine.

Erica — May 5, 2011 @ 7:34 am

mmm….I like my cookies a little on the raw side. I think thats why I’m baking so many vegan goodies right now (you know…the whole raw egg and pregnancy thing aren’t really supposed to mix). I just love the idea of cookie in bowl form.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Yes you could totally make a vegan version then! :)

• Carrie — May 5th, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

You can also replace the egg with 1 tsp. baking powder mixed with 1 1/2 T. oil and 1 1/2 T. water. My son is allergic to eggs, but this is how I make cookies and I swear you can’t tell the difference!

Riss — May 5, 2011 @ 7:36 am

Mmmmm. This will be teasing me all day long. Looks amazing, Jessica! I’m filing page in the “Must Try SOON” folder.

Natalie @ while I breathe — May 5, 2011 @ 7:38 am

YUM!!!! these remind me of the cookie cakes they sell at the grocery store which are totally my favorite type of birthday treat… I might definitely have to make these this weekend…. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Blond Duck — May 5, 2011 @ 7:38 am

No Mexican? :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 5, 2011 @ 7:40 am

Heck yeah whole wheat’s good! You just made it even better! Yum. My mother-in-law won’t touch the stuff and I saw her pu butter on a peanut butter sandwich a couple of weeks ago. That generation butters everything!

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:50 am

Oh my gosh… my grandma used to do that and my mom definitely used to butter our peanut butter sandwiches. I think that is why I grew up actually hating butter. It grossed me out! Then I learned how to use it properly.

Gen — May 5, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Yummy!!!!!!! I think pb cookie bowls would be good too, with some vanilla ice cream and fudge sauce!!! :D

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

That would probably even be better!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 5, 2011 @ 7:42 am

Um. Wow.

Thank you.

That is all.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 5, 2011 @ 7:42 am

I’m definitely in the half-baked camp!

Kelly — May 5, 2011 @ 7:46 am

Looks so good! I can’t wait to try them. What a good idea!

Christina — May 5, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Oh goodness yes, I will bake them!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 5, 2011 @ 7:49 am

Delicious — and I’m pretty sure when you make cookie dough God blesses it and makes the raw egg safe to eat. That has to be true because it tastes too good.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Oh! Excellent point.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 5, 2011 @ 7:50 am

I have simply got to get some little baking cups like yours! Why are people taking forever to fulfill my wedding registry? Arg!

Hoorah for whole wheat! Kudos on embracing the movement. ;)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

LOL! Did you register for some?

• Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 5th, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Yes indeed! My save the dates were sent out like 3 weeks ago and still no pressies. Sad face.

Clare — May 5, 2011 @ 7:51 am

YES YES YES. Highlight of the week.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 5, 2011 @ 7:59 am

I also like my grains hearty and go for whole wheat pastry flour over white almost all the time. I don’t know if these would make it into the oven before I devour all the dough!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — May 5, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Win – this looks awesome. Plus – cookies are always better when they’re big enough to eat with a fork, spoon, and/or ice cream/whipped cream. :)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Right?!

Marie Baars — May 5, 2011 @ 8:05 am

Breakfast? I think so.

Blog is the New Black — May 5, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Cookie bowls? OVER THE TOP!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 5, 2011 @ 8:33 am

I totally bought vanilla ice cream on my last shopping trip with plans of making the teaser pic but I have to admit – it won’t be a whole wheat version. I just can’t do it lol. Plus I don’t have those ingredients. Had planned on using one of my fav cookie recipes to see how it goes. Love the idea – it’s just like something you’d get at some of the chain restaurants. :)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I don’t blame you! Eat up. :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 5, 2011 @ 8:36 am

YESSSS. These look totally awesome. And the whole wheat totally makes them healthy :)

brandi — May 5, 2011 @ 8:37 am

they look so good, especially with the ice cream! nick would love these, whole wheat and all :)

Amy — May 5, 2011 @ 8:38 am

yum! my husband hates whole wheat, loves his white bread and his angel hair pasta! but he does like veggies (including brussels sprouts – which i’ve never made), loves tomatoes and salad/spinach. but he loves his pasta, white bread and potatoes/fries like nothing else!! these looks so yummy! i appreciate that this also makes only 4 ramekins, b/c then it makes more sense for the two of us :)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 8:48 am

Brussels are one of the only veggies I love!

Kirsten — May 5, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Haaaaaaaaaahahahahahahah @ #4!
    I just love you. :)
    Thanks for yet another fabulous recipe!

Page @ Good Clean Fun — May 5, 2011 @ 8:48 am

wow, these look amazing! there is nothing like warm gooey anything topped with cold vanilla ice cream. would it be wrong to have these for breakfast? i don’t want to be right!

Elaine — May 5, 2011 @ 8:54 am

My dad used to take the skin off the chicken when my mom made it, and he advised us to do the same because it was “bad for us.” My mom, having self-diagnosed Oppositional Defiance Disorder, ate the skin…well, defiantly. Now I face a painful dilemma whenever I eat chicken. But childhood trauma aside, I actually really love whole wheat in cookies. I’m like you in that I have a taste for the heartiness of WW stuff. These seem like they’d be yummy with some oats, too!

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 9:08 am

I never ate the skin off the chicken when I was little… I thought it was gross!

Allison @ Novice Life — May 5, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Yum – good idea – can’t wait to try.

I have been daring lately with my whole wheat flour throwing it in desserts and I have been pleasantly surprised. I even ‘baked’ coconut toasted donuts that I made with whole wheat flour and they were DELISH!

Kristen@PrettySweet — May 5, 2011 @ 8:55 am

These are perfect! I’d definitely take mine out of the oven before it got baked all the way…but I’d have to leave my husband’s bowl in a little longer. He gets freaked out by raw egg stuff. I don’t understand him.

Erin — May 5, 2011 @ 8:58 am

Oh, Thank you! This looks like everything I hoped for and more. I cannot wait to try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) — May 5, 2011 @ 9:04 am

I love this…perfect portable dessert!

Maureen — May 5, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I forsee one of these, with a little drizzle of TJ’s salted caramel, in my very near future!

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Oh Maureen… I didn’t even THINK to add the caramel! Guess I’ll just have to make more…

Melissa — May 5, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Undercooked and gooey is the way to go!

Jane B — May 5, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Yesssss! Thank you for the recipe! I can’t wait to make them now…if it wasn’t for the fact I’m fresh out of chocolate chips I would do it right. now.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 5, 2011 @ 9:27 am

{drooooool}

I actually like the flavor of whole wheat in baking, adds just a hint of nuttiness.

{drooooooooooool} ;)

Kelly — May 5, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Bathing suit season always makes me cry! I need one of these to make me feel better? Perfect logic, right?

Heather — May 5, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I love cookie bowls! Those look great.

Elena — May 5, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Oh sweeeet mercy! My husband will love me forever if I make these… well, hopefully he’ll love me forever anyways, but… these will definitely help. ;) Thanks for the great recipe! Can’t wait to try them!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat Cookie Bowl « The Hoot Eats

2. Pingback: Just Like Dinner at Grandma’s House | Less is More (Fun)

3. Pingback: Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie (awesomeness!!!) « Mom Makes…

4. Pingback: How AWESOME! | While I Breathe, I Hope

5. Pingback: like any other day « eatdrinkloveandexercisedotcom

6. Pingback: Living One Bite at a Time » Personal Chef For a Day

7. Pingback: Triple Layer Chocolate Chip-Fudge Brownie-Peanut Butter Blondie Bars . | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: DEEP DISH CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BOWLS!! | Hoping in God