Sooo… it appears that this whole wheat thing isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, is it? Drats.

Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat cakes, whole wheat breads, whole wheat muffins… looks like we’re in for the long haul. About 5 miles away Mother Lovett just took a good long roll in her grave and asked Jesus (I hope) for another slice of buttered white bread.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the wheat-loving gene. I like things hearty. It obviously came from my dad’s side, as my mom can’t fathom life without fluffy Town Talk bread, greasy Ritz crackers and enriched flour-laced angel hair. Mom’s motto: wheat is atrocious.

I firmly believe that there is a time and a place for wheat, and well… dessert isn’t it. But last week I got a bit saucy with our Sunday night dessert and threw whole wheat flour into the cookie instead of the regular stuff. Wild, I know.

I live on the edge.

And I teased you about it. My apologies.

You should know a few things:

1. Wheat cookie bowls don’t taste like they have wheat in them. Win.

3. They are best when left gooey, but if that whole raw egg thing skeeves you out, then… eat them fully baked. In which case you won’t have truly lived, but I forgive you.

4. I obnoxiously stood over the sink last night and ate all the crispy skin off a freshly roasted chicken. Then tried on bathing suits and cried. Overshare?

Look! They are just begging you to make them.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls

makes 4 ramekins (3 1/2 x 2)

1 stick butter, softened

3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside in a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spray 4 oven-safe ramekins with non-stick spray and divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Press the dough into the ramekin – each one should have about 1/3-1/2 cup dough.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the middle is still slightly gooey. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes until they can be handled then serve with vanilla ice cream.

Note: I don’t think the whole wheat pastry flour is “study” enough to make this recipe in cookie form but I have yet to try. It works perfectly for the cups!

Bake them? Don’t make me ask you twice.

168 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls.”

Caitlin — May 5, 2011 @ 9:49 am

Instead of wedding cake, I’d like these at my reception. Don’t worry, it will be a small affair.

Lydia — May 5, 2011 @ 10:04 am

I am so excited to make this!!! It looks absolutely amazing. Thank you for this recipe

Fallon — May 5, 2011 @ 10:05 am

My boyfriend who loves these, too bad he will have to wait for a special occasion ;)

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 5, 2011 @ 10:19 am

These look amazing! My mom ALWAYS uses whole wheat flour. I have to try these :)

Brittany — May 5, 2011 @ 10:24 am

I think you should come over and bake for me. That is all.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — May 5, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Butter? What butter — whole wheat definitely cancels that out; and the sugar & chocolate too! Why its practically a health food! Great recipe. Can’t wait to try it :-)

Shawna — May 5, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Can I just tell you how glad I am you posted this recipe?? I found one extremely similar on another site, but the ramakins were the wrong size to what I have at home and I was going a tiny bit crazy trying to figure out the right temp and time changes for the recipe.

BUT you have restored my faith in deep dish chocolate chip cookies. And I thank you for that.

And I will eternally blame you for me not fitting into my pants. :)

Shanna, Like Banana — May 5, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Oh wow, that looks soooo good. And portion sized perfectly, unless of course you eat 4 bowls..ha!

Honey — May 5, 2011 @ 10:32 am

I wanted to share that not only does the whole wheat cancel out the butter, the egg cancels out the sugar and the fact that it’s baked not fried cancels out the ice cream…so you can have two.

Also, eating an even number will make it ok but an odd number of consumption will through the whole system outta wack so always eat 2,4,8,..16. Never 1,3,7,..19.

That’s just basic desert math there. ;)

Honey

EatLiveRun — May 5, 2011 @ 10:55 am

wahhhh I don’t have any ramekins. Must remedy that immediately.

Jackie — May 5, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Do you think a muffin tin would work if you don’t have ramekins?

Michelle @ A Voracious Appetite — May 5, 2011 @ 10:59 am

My fiance will love me even more when I bake these!!! Thanks for the recipe :-)

janetha @ meals & moves — May 5, 2011 @ 11:18 am

haha. love the overshare. i always use wheat flour in my cookies and my boss tastes them and says they taste like the earth. whatever that means. i like it. these look aweeeesome. it has been too long since i have made a pizookie type dessert. yum!

Jess — May 5, 2011 @ 11:24 am

the only way to make chocolate chip cookies better? bigger and topped with ice cream. yes please!

Kim - Liv Life — May 5, 2011 @ 11:25 am

I like Averie’s comment… I’ll take the 2nd unbaked ramekin!!
    These are fantastic, nicely done!!!

Tracey — May 5, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Yum!! These would be so dangerous in my house, gooey cookie dough is my absolute favorite :)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — May 5, 2011 @ 11:30 am

MMmm!! These look good! And their healthy right? Because of the whole wheat? Healthy…just like Nutella!

Amelia — May 5, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Your killing me! How the heck am I supposed to fit into my bikini this summer? I think I need to find a cute cover up! ;)

Erin — May 5, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Cookies always beg for me to make them. And then to eat them. They have very perplexing goals.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — May 5, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I’ve never minded whole wheat flour. I use it in everything simply because I dont have the storage to buy more than one kind of flour.

These sound so good. Its like a cake and a cookie all in one.

Kelly — May 5, 2011 @ 11:50 am

This post is the reason I love your blog! Haha I’m still laughing.
    These look amazing! I am definitely going to make them :)

Anne @ Baking Me — May 5, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Cookie bowls, yum this is a must try :)

Leslie — May 5, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

I may have peed a little when I laughed at number 4. No worries lady, definitely a normal experience, and I empathize.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — May 5, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Oooooh my….husband is out tonight, must make this for myself! Cookie bowl for 1 perhaps?

Rach — May 5, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

Jessica, these look amazing. I already loved whole wheat flour, but now I love it even more. :D

Kelly — May 5, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

You’re adorable. I love that these seem to be a perfect marriage between cookie & cake. Yum!

Meryl — May 5, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

“2. They have (lots of?) butter. Wheat totally cancels that out. (<— good at math.)"

-Wowww we definitely had the same math teacher!! Haha I like the way you think!

Jenna — May 5, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Haha I don’t have a small enough ramekin for 4 servings….but I have ones that could hold 2 servings in one bowl! 2 desserts for me instead of one? Score!!! I guess now I have to make these….poor me :)

what katie's baking — May 5, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

“good at math” lol! you’re so funny! these look so goooooddd!
    girllll don’t even sweat it, i’m sure you looked great in the bathing suits you tried on. just remember that we’re all our biggest critics!
    plus, these are wheat… HEALTHY! :)

Heather — May 5, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to make these! This is exactly what I want to be eating today…yep one of THOSE days:)

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — May 5, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

If you can somehow incorporate oats and these could totally be a breakfast… oats + whole wheat + dairy = breakfast. Apparently I’m good at math, too.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Ooooh you are great at math! Someone on the Facebook page said she made them with flour and oats and loved them!

JaNelle — May 5, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

Good googly moogly… I’m making those! It’s my 4th wedding anniversary today! Sweet treats are mandatory!

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

Happy anniversary!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit — May 5, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

i mean, looking at that last picture is ACTUALLY making my mouth water. i don’t really know what to do. do you think i can convince my boyfriend that this is cinco de mayo celebration-worthy? because in my mind, it TOTALLY is.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

It definitely is!

Paige (running around normal) — May 5, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Overshare? haha love it :)
    These look good! Confession time, though: I’ve never used ww pastry flour. How different will it taste if I use regular whole wheat flour?

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

Regular whole wheat is much “grittier” and may result in a more dry and grainy cookie? Not positive, but if you don’t like the result you could try 1/2 whole wheat + 1/2 all purpose!

Katie — May 5, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

A cookie bowl? Yes please! I love whole wheat (like you said, it tastes heartier) – and I can’t wait to try these. I just need buy ramekins.

Eunice — May 5, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

Ooooooh. I love when I have all the ingredients to make one of your recipes!

Side note: Kohy thought that ramekins (he called them “rammykins”) were baby rams. Bah! I tell everyone I know about that.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Hahahah!

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — May 5, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Yum! These look fantastic. :)

Vivianne — May 5, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

WOW that looks great! My boyfriend always gives me disapproving looks for eating the cookie dough and other not-yet-made baking things…. I just can’t help myself!

And you are so funny. I always have such a hard time not eating the breading off of things. When I was younger I used to order onion rings, take out the onion, and eating the shells!

Allison — May 5, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

So yummy! And I love that you added whole wheat flour.

Ashley — May 5, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

The contrast of cold ice cream and warm cookie dough is a favorite. And a whole cookie CUP??? Unreal! I wonder what buckwheat would do to it…hehe :)

Amy @ A Little Nosh — May 5, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

1/4 stick of butter per person? Sounds about right to me!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — May 5, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

I’m a whole wheat girl, too. I mean, I wouldn’t turn down a slice of white bread with butter, either :)

Feast on the Cheap — May 5, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

I love this post. For so many reasons…

Heather @ girlyeverafter — May 5, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

gooey cake and melty ice cream, sign me up. I always try on bathing suits at the worst time too, but really when is a good time? In the dark perhaps?

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

That sounds like the best time.

Amber — May 5, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

I wonder if 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 whole wheat achieves the same result?? I can’t find ww pastry flour out here in the Maine woods

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I think if you sift the two together, it would!

Natalia - a side of simple — May 5, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

My heart just wants to melt in those little ramekins :)

Hayley — May 5, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

Just made a version of these last week!
    They are EXTREMELY delicious if you take two of those little Dove chocolate squares and put them inside the cookie cake before you bake it. It comes out melted and gooey…..fantastic.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

ummm YUM.

Maria — May 5, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

I love making cookies in ramekins! And of course you have to have ice cream:)

Serena — May 5, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Well, that settles it. I’m having Chocolate Chip Cookie Cakes for dinner tonight. They have whole wheat flour in them, so they must be nutritious, right? ;)

• Jessica — May 5th, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Absolutely!

Hannah @ PalmBeachRunner — May 5, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

yum yum and some more yum! I love gooey cookies and cookie dough ;-) What a great idea!