Endings. They have to be good for me.

Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Last night I watched Dear John for the 87th time, hoping the ending would change. It didn’t. Whatever.

I re-read the last page of The Island for four days after finishing it because I craved a more concise finish. Never happened.

I even DVR-ed the Bachelorette in hopes that if I watched the ending twice my TV would implode and I’d never again have to see whatever… that is. A mess is what that is.

Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa I howsweeteats.com

I never drain a cereal box because let’s face it… the end? Bunches of crumbs and weird powder that clumps into milk. I never scrape a carton of ice cream clean because there is rarely anything good left; I’ve already scooped out every marshmallow swirl and chocolate covered pretzel visible to the female eye. I never can drink the end of a smoothie… mostly because I have started to stuff my face with something far more substantial than liquid calories.

I do have to say that I like the end of pickle jars because I like pickle juice. I’m just going to close my eyes so I don’t see your expression here. It’s easier.

I also kinda like the end of coconut rum bottles because it probably means I’m drinking some. Hopefully with pineapple juice. Maybe a splash of cranberry. A wedge of lime. A sugared rim. A cabana boy named Gerard Butler.

Anyway.

Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa I howsweeteats.com

If you like pickle juice and coconut rum too I’d totally give you my final rose. Unless your name is Bentley. And hopefully you don’t like those things together. Because that’s just… weird.

I really liked the end of this meal!

So much better than Dear John. Pretty sure it’s because I was eating and when I finished I was perfectly full. And blissful. I’m quite enamored with shrimp baked in coconut milk and garnished with a bit of crispiness. Going the extra mile and spooning some chunky peach salsa on top? I can die happy. Just let me swig some pickle juice first.

Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Coconut Baked Shrimp

serves 2-4

1 pound tail-on, peeled and deveined shrimp (I used 16-20 count)

2/3 cup lite coconut milk

2 tablespoons olive oil (I infused mine with some chopped tarragon and heated it over low heat)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

3 tablespoons shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)

3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (If you don’t like tarragon, sub parsley)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. If desired, slice shrimp down the middle to butterfly. I did this because I like how it appears to make the shrimp “larger.”

Toss shrimp with salt and pepper, then lay in the baking dish. In a bowl, combine coconut milk, olive oil, garlic and tarragon. Pour over shrimp in the baking dish. In another bowl, mix bread crumbs and coconut. Sprinkle over shrimp. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve shrimp and spoon a bit of the coconut milk mixture over top. Top with salsa.

Note: if you are not a fan of coconut (especially the texture), you can leave it out and up the quantity of the panko bread crumbs. The coconut milk itself does not have a strong coconut flavor.

Pineapple Peach Salsa

1/4 cup chopped pineapple (about 4 large chunks)

1/3 cup chopped peaches (I used 2 white peaches)

1/4 cup chopped tomatoes

1 tablespoon chopped tarragon

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

juice of half a lemon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, spritz with lemon and toss to mix. Will stay fresh for 2-3 days in the fridge!

Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Now this is a happy ending.

137 Responses to “Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa.”

Amanda — June 7, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I am making this asap! Yum!

Amanda (Eating Up) — June 7, 2011 @ 11:00 am

That flavor combo is unreal! Gimme some! :-)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — June 7, 2011 @ 11:16 am

Im not sure what to say right now other than YUM! This looks incredible.

EatLiveRun — June 7, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Mmm sounds like the perfect summer meal. I love me some shrimpies.

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — June 7, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

I haven’t even cooked shrimp yet this summer! What is my life coming to.

Jillian S. — June 7, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Mmmm, this looks delicious – and a perfect way to use up the extra coconut milk I have left from your Coconut Cupcakes!
    P.S. – my cabana boy’s name is Taylor Lautner… another big mmmm!

Kristina @ spabettie — June 7, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

I love pickle juice, and have been known to make (only one, after that it’s stomach ache city) a pickle-vodka cocktail. have I already said this here before? now I assume you think I have a problem ;)

I know but I don’t know… what you are talking about with Bentley. I only know because I have twitter. I don’t know because I don’t watch… ugh. :D

I’d sit through an episode if it meant I would also be eating this. it looks fantastic!

Lauren — June 7, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Your recipes are getting better and better! I cannot WAIT to try this!
    Oh…totally agree about Bently. I would suggest smacking him in the face with a shrimp, but I wouldn’t want to waste one…

Gina (Yogattude) — June 7, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

I am loving your photos in this post!

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

Thanks Gina!

Lisa — June 7, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

OMG that sounds so wonderful….YUM. I am ready for this!
    Take care and thank you!

Ann Claire — June 7, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

This looks so good, I love making things with coconut milk! I’m a sucker for happy endings too, happily ever after books are my favorite (unfortunately most of those are about princesses and have about one sentence per page). And as fellow Bachelorette watcher, I totally agree about the ending…gah Bentley is such a Jerk! Judging from seeing her on Jimmy Kimmel though, I finally like that wasn’t his last appearance on the show…:/ I’m glad she kept William though, I really don’t think he’s mean he just unfortunately joked about the wrong subject, I felt kind of bad for him. He’s really cute too :)
    Okay, sorry for the long bachelor rant, hardly anyone I know watches it and I’m king of addicted.

Jill — June 7, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

You totally made me laugh today-thank you! And the shrimp looks incredible!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio — June 7, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Wow!! How awesome is this dish? Great post!

Sarah — June 7, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

You’re too funny! I wish I could like seafood because this looks good but anything that comes from the sea I will not let come anywhere near my mouth. It looks good, but the taste and texture of anything seafood gets to me. The peach pineapple salsa I might have to give a try though I loved your melon salsa you made a while back, and I love fresh fruity salsa, there is something just so good about them.

Sharlene — June 7, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

Coconut shrimp is one of those things I automatically order the second I see it on a menu. I can’t wait to try out this home version. That salsa looks divine!

Jamie — June 7, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

This looks soooo good! I’ve always been afraid of coconut milk for some reason – does it always look “chunky” when you open up the can?

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 7, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I do the same thing with The Perfect Storm…somehow THIS time Marky Mark will be saved.
    Sad times.

But this is some pretty food that would surely make me happy :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 7, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

omg channing tatum…that would be the reason I watch taht movie over and over again….its just not a very well done movie BUT he is beyond gorgeous, my idea man, so if you see one like that around you (and jewish) send him my way ;)

YUM! I am LOVING shrimp these days and this looks so amazingly perfect!!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — June 7, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Loving this recipe! Next time shrimp go on sale, I’m making it.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — June 7, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I’m not a fan of shrimp, but I am LOVING your salsa recipe. I just finished the reading The Island too and I was hoping for a much more satisfying ending! I couldn’t put the book down, but I think it needed another chapter to wrap everything up.

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Seriously! I just wanted her with Nick soooo bad. I know they left it open so she technically *could* be with him, but I wanted it set in stone!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 7, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

You always have the best sweetish-fruity salsa recipes!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 7, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

I really love this idea! I bet for an even more ‘coconutty’ flavor, you could add a few drops of coconut oil! Yum!

Erin — June 7, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

I love pickles and pickle juice, but I have to hide them from my husband, who very annoyingly lectures me about eating too much salt every time I snarf down 3 pickles.

Please say that we can have a secret pickle juice cocktail party! Pickle Martini anyone?

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 7, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Unhappy endings are no fun to watch/read, but cliffhangers are the WORST!

I don’t even remember what happened at the end of Dear John. Did he die?? And what was up with Bachelorette? There was so much buzz on Twitter last night!

But yes, regardless of the beginning or middle of a day, if it ends with coconut shrimp, I’m a happy camper :D

Jeanette — June 7, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

What a beautiful salsa recipe! I love fruit salsas on seafood!

Colleen — June 7, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

Yum! A bunch of my guy friends in college would drain chip and cereal bags all the time and call it “fat boying the bag”. They would grab people’s empty chip bags and ask “are you gonna fat boy that?” Oh boys.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy — June 7, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

these photos are GORGEOUS.
    Or maybe I’m just really hungry for these shrimp…

probably both.

jennifurla — June 7, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Perfectly lovely dish

Caroline — June 7, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous meal–and beautiful plating. I’m loving your blog!

collette — June 7, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

This is dinner tonight! I have everything! and I need to have dinner ready in 30 min! The clock starts NOW!! OK So I might need a little longer- but… if only I had pineapple juice- I would make the drink you described as well and then I wouldn’t care if dinner was ready when hubby gets home!! :)

Cara — June 7, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

Those shrimp are for sure a happy ending to a long day :) I can’t wait to try them!

Mer — June 7, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I could not resist leaving a comment on this post. I LOVE pickle juice, I guzzle it. (I also guzzle olive juice…) And…I totally watch things or read things over, in the hopes that they just might end differently this time. They never do. :) AND…coconut shrimp is so yummy!

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

Glad I’m not alone! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — June 7, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Love this tropical combo! Such a great summer recipe!

Serena — June 7, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

I LOVE shrimp. Love love love. Especially coconut shrimp, mmm.
    I have those exact shell spoons, they are gorgeous!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — June 7, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

I love the addition of tarragon to this salsa! Such a fun flavor mix!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — June 7, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

This meal has Summer written all over it!

I too find myself unhappy with endings of books, movies, etc and try to find a way to change it, sigh, it never does happen!

CBarry @ Barry's Bites — June 7, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Is it a heavy coconut taste?

• Jessica — June 8th, 2011 @ 6:48 am

Not very. I personally don’t think coconut milk has a very strong coconut taste. Also, I used unsweetened coconut – if you want more of a coconut taste, you could try using sweetened.

Katrina — June 8, 2011 @ 12:39 am

Cool recipe! So unique.

sweetsugarbelle — June 8, 2011 @ 7:49 am

I’m HONGRY!!!!

Hannah — June 8, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

This dish screams tropical summer! MMM! Can’t wait to make it!

Hannah — June 8, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

This dish screams tropical summer with the colors and flavors…YUM! I can’t wait to make it! Thanks!

Aimee Williams — June 8, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

This dish looks awesome! The only thing that would make it look even better would be to have Gerard Butler holding it! Well, holding it in my kitchen! Thanks for this recipe, I love coconut shrimp but hate the work of dipping and frying. I can’t wait to give this a try! If you like Gerard Butler, try the movie Dear Frankie! You may need to watch it 87 times also! So glad, I am receiving your postings! Thanks

april — June 8, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Hold your breath for this….when I was younger me & my friends liked pickle juice so much that we would pour it in ice trays, throw in some toothpicks & make pop sicles. Yes I just said we made pickle juice pop sicles. They were great. My mom thought it was disgusting

Roslyn — June 8, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I made this last night for a dinner with friends. For 5, I doubled both of the recipes and also served roasted green beans and hawaiian sweet rolls. There were no leftovers… :)

Pam — June 8, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

OMG…I’m right there with you on Gerard Butler! (insert girlish scream here)

Danyelle — June 9, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Mmmmm, now my mouth is watering! For both the shrimp AND pickle juice! lol I’m not the only one! YAY! LOVE your blog and am always checking in for all the new goodies you have for us. And you always make me laugh, and that, along with good food is something that can’t be beat! Thank you!

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Thank you Danyelle!

Adele — June 10, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Hi Jessica! I just discovered your site 2 weeks ago and I LOVE it!! What caught my attention is all the cheesy, bacony, chocolately, peanut buttery recipes! My boyfriend has accused me of buying too much cheese, but I know in my heart there is no such thing. However, I surprised myself, for this recipe is the first one I actually made. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! It is so delicious, I need to make it again ASAP! :D I love coconut shrimp but it is always fried, this is perfect – thank you! I could only find sweetened coconut, and used mango instead of pineapple. Still amazing. yay! Next one will definitely be the buffalo chicken cheesy baked pasta, of course.

• Jessica — June 10th, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks Adele!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 11, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Coconut shrimp is one of my favourite foods – this sounds wonderful! I like that it is not fried.

Jess — June 12, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

I read Dear John ages ago, but finally watched the movie this weekend. While ultimately the movie ending is what I wish the book’s ending would have been, I just don’t like when they so drastically change the book when making the movie. I also don’t like when they make minor changes for no reason. Why make Tim older and Alan’s father instead of brother? Makes no sense. Bah. I need a cupcake now.

Kelsey — June 16, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

I made this for dinner last night, and it rocked my world!

I just found your blog two weeks ago, and I love it. :) You have such a great writing style and sense of humor, and I can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Thanks for everything you do – especially with bacon!