I know what you’re thinking.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Boring title.

A bowl of white cheese.

Somewhat plain.

Kind of a snoozefest.

How crazy can this really be?

I was skeptical too. Trust me.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I didn’t make this recipe up. My cousin Lacy did. See… a restaurants in DC makes this stuff and calls it crazy feta. She was a huge fan. Then they started selling it at Whole Foods for an arm and a leg. And since she really likes her limbs, she checked out the ingredients and decided to try and make it herself. Best decision ever.

She first told me about it on one of our walks about a week before we headed to the beach. It sounded good. It didn’t knock my socks off, but I kept it in mind. I don’t love jalapenos, lemon or feta, let alone love it together. Then she talked about it more at the beach. And each time I got a little more intrigued.

By Sunday, it was the only thing on my mind. Monday morning I rushed to the grocery store to buy bricked feta, jalapenos and lemons. Because that is exactly where my priorities lie after a week away. Don’t even act like yours lie somewhere else.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I don’t even know where to start.

This is quite possible one of the best things I have ever tasted. The flavors – tangy feta, spicy jalapenos, bright lemon, caramely garlic – combine to create this delicious explosion of something or other in your mouth. It’s perfect. It has a little bite. It’s madly addicting. It’s fabulous on pita chips. Even better on warm bread. Can you even picture it? Fluffy, warm pita spread with crazy feta.

If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will. You gotta promise me you’ll try this. Pleeeeeeeeease.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos

makes about 2 cups [a little goes a long way!]

2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each

3 whole jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon

1 bulb garlic

the juice of half a lemon

the zest of half a lemon

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop the top off the garlic bulb and drizzle it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap it in foil and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until garlic is golden in color. At the same time, brush the jalapenos with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Either grill or roast them – I stuck them in the oven with garlic and just watched until they were charred. Remove both from oven and let cool. Once jalapenos are cooled, remove skins, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces. Don’t touch your eyes!

In a large bowl, crumble the feta bricks. [Crumbling the bricks yourself works best, but if you can only find crumbled feta that is fine.] Add chopped jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. You want the feta to be a bit “wet” – I can best describe it as a cross between a spread and a dip. There is no right or wrong – make it however you’d like. Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips, warm pita or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week – I find that I like it best at room temperature, so allow it to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving. We also think it would be great with some kalamata olives.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

This is definitely my new party appetizer. Now you just need to invite me.

278 Responses to “Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos.”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 23, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I’d love the crazy feta! This plus some pita could be a meal for me.

Kathryn — June 23, 2011 @ 7:09 am

Want! Jalapenos can be a bit tricky to find in the UK but I bet it would be worth the effort to make this.

Sarah @ goingongoals — June 23, 2011 @ 7:10 am

OMG I have been obsessed with feta lately! If I can keep it away from my fiance and in the house long enough I am so making this!!

Jenn from Much to My Delight — June 23, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Whoa. This looks crazy good, and yes, I do trust you. I am having a Mediterranean themed dinner party next Friday and this will be on the appetizer table. It’s only right to invite you since you introduced me to what I imagine will be my favorite party guest. Can you make it to Queens next Friday?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 23, 2011 @ 7:21 am

Now if I only ate cheese. Because I have about 4 jalapenos sitting in my fridge leftover from when I made salsa. I could ship them to you.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 23, 2011 @ 7:21 am

You are so invited! I LOVE feta, but like it enough plain, so I can imagine how amazing this is!

Kim in MD — June 23, 2011 @ 7:41 am

You have a open invitation to my parties, Jessica! :-)

This looks like the perfect party appetizer! I am SO making this today!

Have you ever tried baked feta? If not, I need to share my recipe with you…it is to die for, too!

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 8:01 am

No, I never have! Please share the recipe. :)

• Melanie — June 23rd, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Baked feta? Oooooo yum. Please share this recipe you speak of…….

Marisa @ Loser for Life — June 23, 2011 @ 7:44 am

I am ALL.OVER.THIS!!! Love feta, especially kicked up a notch!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 23, 2011 @ 7:46 am

i want this. like immediately!

Blond Duck — June 23, 2011 @ 7:50 am

Check out my car cake–I bet your hubby will want one!

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 8:00 am

It looks amazing!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 23, 2011 @ 7:52 am

I bet that is crazy good and I am not even a feta “lover”. Now, give me some pimento cheese dip with red peppers in it, or spinach and artichoke dip, and I am in heaven. But I totally take your word for it that your feta dip rocks…and parties, yes, they’re my middle name. You’re invited!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 23, 2011 @ 7:53 am

That was NOT what I was thinking at all! I love feta– so zesty!

Blog is the New Black — June 23, 2011 @ 7:53 am

You continue to amaze me with your creative recipes. Marry me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 23, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Wow, this sounds like it might just give hummus some competition (and I’m a hummus addict!!!) Any excuse for me to use roasted garlic and I’m in!

Gen — June 23, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Yum! Now all I have to do is buy some feta!! We have everything else!

Khushboo @ Two Megapixel Food — June 23, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Noooo, its not boring and definitely not plain. I make something similar with cottage cheese all the time. Pita bread, tortillas, and even plain old toasted bread goes wonderfully well with it. I am also guessing it would be a nutritional snack for serving with drinks.

Erica — June 23, 2011 @ 8:14 am

I really believe the recipes that combine the simplest flavors are always the best! I <3 feta and I love the idea of adding a little spice to it

Brynne — June 23, 2011 @ 8:15 am

This sounds amazing! I love jalapenos and feta. So summery!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — June 23, 2011 @ 8:24 am

I must try this restaurant of which you speak. I must also try crazy feta. Feta makes it betta! (couldn’t resist)

Stephanie @ The International Cooking Club — June 23, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Promised! Pinky Swear!

The Teenage Taste — June 23, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Mmmmm…this looks so yummy! I love Crazy Feta! <3

Stacia — June 23, 2011 @ 8:49 am

I wonder if this would be good with goat cheese instead of feta? What do you think?

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 8:52 am

I’m sure it would be good, but I don’t think it would taste nearly the same. Mostly because feta and goat have different tastes – also it would be much more like a “spread” with the goat cheese. But it’s always worth a shot. Let me know if you try it!

• Stacia — June 23rd, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Hmmm maybe I will do both and have a side by side comparrison. One can next eat enough cheese right?! PS- Love your website, read it every day but this is my first comment :)

Kristen — June 23, 2011 @ 8:51 am

I sampled this at Whole Foods and looooved it. Thank you for the recipe, because I was not about to buy the teeny tiny tub for $10. I can’t wait to make it!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 23, 2011 @ 8:57 am

My Greek mother in law is staying with us in July. Could there be a better appetizer??

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 23, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Crazy feta is not boring at all girl! Looks fabulous & unstoppable once you dig in :)

Hilliary Wolfe @ Happily Ever Healthy — June 23, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I Love Feta! I need to try this ASAP!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — June 23, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Dips are dangerous!! I would have to bring this to a party or get-together, otherwise I’d probably eat the whole bowl in one sitting. Can’t wait to try this! :)

Clare — June 23, 2011 @ 9:21 am

YUM feta is soooo good! Bacon crumbles need to find their way in there, however :)

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — June 23, 2011 @ 9:22 am

Feta makes everything betta. OK, bad joke. But seriously, I LOVE feta. Adding lemon, roasted garlic and jalapenos would NOT suck.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — June 23, 2011 @ 9:24 am

seriously can’t wait to make this. 4th of july picnic?? perfect!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — June 23, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I promise I’ll be making this real soon! It would be a great spread in a wrap stuffed with cukes, tomatoes & black olives. I’m thinking a trip to the grocery store might be in order tonight after work :-)

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I want that wrap for lunch!

kaceyt @ om&nom — June 23, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I think this is definitely a dish that is worthy of planning a party just so that it can be served to friends…especially if I learned how to make pitas! Can’t wait to try it!

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:29 am

This + homemade pitas = perfection.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — June 23, 2011 @ 9:32 am

That looks tasty! I love that you made it spicy by adding the jalepenos.

Cait's Plate — June 23, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Oh MAN oh MAN! Feta can NEVER be boring if you ask me! Being Greek, it’s literally at ALL of our family gatherings (I’ve been known to take a small block, plunk it into a small roll and chow down ;) ).

That bowl looks so amazingly yummy – I fully support that being your new party appetizer (as long as I’m invited! haha)

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I am so jealous you’re Greek. I used to train a Greek woman who would bring me the MOST AMAZING FOOD EVER. Please come live with me.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 23, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I absolutely love feta! Can’t wait to try this crazy version. Oh, and you can bring this over to my house any time :)

Evan@swEEts — June 23, 2011 @ 9:53 am

We’re having friends over for dinner this weekend.. I think this may be our app.. delicious sounding!

Lindsay — June 23, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Lucy is right – the crazy feta at Cava (along with everything else there) is absolutely amazing. I can eat that stuff with a spoon. I like it so much, that I am one of those suckers that buys it from
    Whole Foods. This homemade version looks even better!

Cait @ UrbanFencepost — June 23, 2011 @ 10:07 am

Who WOULDN’T invite you to their party if you’re making food like that!!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — June 23, 2011 @ 10:09 am

This is so unique! I love feta and I actually just had it in my eggs today…and posted it! Haha! :-)

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:28 am

We are always on the same page. ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 23, 2011 @ 10:10 am

I make a similar dip… I love how you roasted the mix-in’s!! Looks delicious :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — June 23, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I would totally love me some crazy feta!

EatLiveRun — June 23, 2011 @ 10:17 am

oh my gosh, this sounds AMAZING. Like, I need to make it right this second. I live for feta!!!

Vanessa — June 23, 2011 @ 10:18 am

I’m infatuated with feta cheese. This looks delicious. I’ve always wondered how a baked feta would turn out. Gona have to try that soon.

Erin — June 23, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Oh wow. The way you describe this makes me wish it were in front of my already.

thehealthyapron — June 23, 2011 @ 10:21 am

another bookmarked recipe! I LOVE feta! I wonder if this would be good on pizza?

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I think it would; I also think it would be amazing on a burger!

Jen — June 23, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Oh my god. I’m jumping on this recipe as soon as possible. Bookmarking NOW. You’re a crazy genius. I’m qualified to say this, because I take cheese very seriously.

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Cheese is a very serious thing.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — June 23, 2011 @ 10:24 am

I LOVE FETA! I am even making a pasta dish tonight for dinner that has loads of feta in it. I love it! And eating it by the spoonful, or chipful sounds perfect to me!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — June 23, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Girl you had me at feta! <3 I love random restaurant inspired dishes — especially when they are oh-so cheap to make at home and sometimes even fresher than the original! <3 ahhh I want this in my face!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — June 23, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Feta with these additions can’t be anything but good. I’m all over it on the warm bread!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio — June 23, 2011 @ 10:32 am

I LOVE FETA!!!

1 2 3 4

1. Pingback: Skillet Strawberry Cobbler | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Weird Day, Friday Five

3. Pingback: insult to injury « HUFFMANIA

4. Pingback: Preparations « Nurse with a Purse

5. Pingback: Back In The Saddle | Cravings «

6. Pingback: 5 Things to Make Your Mouth Water … | Hello i am here!

7. Pingback: Craxy Feta « FORTHEYUM

8. Pingback: Greek Grilled Chicken Salad | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Food for 57 | Lindsay in Wonderland

10. Pingback: Fun with feta. | Legally Delish

11. Pingback: Sunday Summary July 3, 2011 « Clare Cooks!

12. Pingback: Seven Layer Crazy Greek Dip | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Feta Dip with a Kick « elizabethinthekitchen

14. Pingback: Crazy Feta Baked Tomatoes « Maine Dish Home

15. Pingback: Back to Food! « Salaams

16. Pingback: Claires on Cedros, Bacon Party, Eggplant Bacon, crazy feta | iEatNeat

17. Pingback: Greek Chicken and Mushroom Gyros « Emily Ruf

18. Pingback: There’s corn in my ice cream. « A Tasty Life

19. Pingback: food: the bucket list « one many extras

20. Pingback: What Do You Mean He Don’t Eat No Meat? Ok, I Make Lamb | Your Kind of Salad

21. Pingback: Greek Pizza with Hummus « Newly Bread

22. Pingback: » It’s all Greek to me Goofy Can Cook

23. Pingback: Cava Mezze « Teen Eat and Live

24. Pingback: Greek Pizza | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: Baked Crazy Feta | The Spiffy Cookie

26. Pingback: Crazy feta and Cava | life needs edits

27. Pingback: weekend recap {unbuttoning the pants} | you're so martha

28. Pingback: Sunday Summary July 3, 2011 | Clare Cooks!

29. Pingback: Recipe Review « Yes, I want cake.

30. Pingback: Crazy Feta « Chew Nibble Nosh

31. Pingback: Preparations - Nurse with a Purse

32. Pingback: Crazy Feta | the simple life

33. Pingback: WIAW #9 « blondie bakes and bikes

34. Pingback: Food Obsessions | The Resplendent Beauty

35. Pingback: 25 Super Bowl Recipes | How Sweet It Is

36. Pingback: 28 jan | Fresh Brandee

37. Pingback: Sunday thoughts « Apples and Optimism

38. Pingback: Food, food, yummy food « Tangerine Key

39. Pingback: Adventures in Cooking – Week 10 – samegarden4differentflowers

40. Pingback: treat yo self! « finding my nych

41. Pingback: CRAZY Feta « Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen

42. Pingback: Pita chips, deconstructed « theblueberrychronicles

43. Pingback: CRAZY Feta | Culinary Adventures in the Kitchen

44. Pingback: The Makings of a Pinterest Party {Girls’ Night In} | Food and Life

45. Pingback: 10 Memorial Day Recipes | How Sweet It Is

46. Pingback: Feta is Betta: Spinach and Feta-Jalapeño Dip Turkey Burger

47. Pingback: Crazy Feta Dip - Weight Watchers | The Slender Kitchen

48. Pingback: Creamy Feta Dip « My Favorite Things

49. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes for Football Season.] » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

50. Pingback: Fat Girl Friday: Dips « frenchmytoast