I know what you’re thinking.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Boring title.

A bowl of white cheese.

Somewhat plain.

Kind of a snoozefest.

How crazy can this really be?

I was skeptical too. Trust me.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I didn’t make this recipe up. My cousin Lacy did. See… a restaurants in DC makes this stuff and calls it crazy feta. She was a huge fan. Then they started selling it at Whole Foods for an arm and a leg. And since she really likes her limbs, she checked out the ingredients and decided to try and make it herself. Best decision ever.

She first told me about it on one of our walks about a week before we headed to the beach. It sounded good. It didn’t knock my socks off, but I kept it in mind. I don’t love jalapenos, lemon or feta, let alone love it together. Then she talked about it more at the beach. And each time I got a little more intrigued.

By Sunday, it was the only thing on my mind. Monday morning I rushed to the grocery store to buy bricked feta, jalapenos and lemons. Because that is exactly where my priorities lie after a week away. Don’t even act like yours lie somewhere else.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I don’t even know where to start.

This is quite possible one of the best things I have ever tasted. The flavors – tangy feta, spicy jalapenos, bright lemon, caramely garlic – combine to create this delicious explosion of something or other in your mouth. It’s perfect. It has a little bite. It’s madly addicting. It’s fabulous on pita chips. Even better on warm bread. Can you even picture it? Fluffy, warm pita spread with crazy feta.

If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will. You gotta promise me you’ll try this. Pleeeeeeeeease.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos

makes about 2 cups [a little goes a long way!]

2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each

3 whole jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon

1 bulb garlic

the juice of half a lemon

the zest of half a lemon

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop the top off the garlic bulb and drizzle it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap it in foil and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until garlic is golden in color. At the same time, brush the jalapenos with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Either grill or roast them – I stuck them in the oven with garlic and just watched until they were charred. Remove both from oven and let cool. Once jalapenos are cooled, remove skins, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces. Don’t touch your eyes!

In a large bowl, crumble the feta bricks. [Crumbling the bricks yourself works best, but if you can only find crumbled feta that is fine.] Add chopped jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. You want the feta to be a bit “wet” – I can best describe it as a cross between a spread and a dip. There is no right or wrong – make it however you’d like. Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips, warm pita or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week – I find that I like it best at room temperature, so allow it to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving. We also think it would be great with some kalamata olives.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

This is definitely my new party appetizer. Now you just need to invite me.

278 Responses to “Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos.”

Amanda — June 24, 2011 @ 8:12 am

So creativity runs in the family huh??? Beautiful photography Jessica!

Ann — June 24, 2011 @ 9:02 am

I absolutely LOVE feta….and I love what you did with it. Genius!

francine — June 24, 2011 @ 9:48 am

i made this last night with pre-crumbled feta! it was delicious! some bites were tangy and some were spicy! it always kept us guessing. thanks for sharing this recipe!

• Jessica — June 24th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

So glad you liked it!

Iza — June 24, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I’ve just bought all the ingredients.. but I bought a lime instead of the lemon! :/
    I will try tonight!

• Jessica — June 24th, 2011 @ 10:05 am

I think lime could work!

Dana@TheSundaySweet — June 24, 2011 @ 10:28 am

This sounds dangerous! Like something you’d try a bite off and then before you know it the entire bowl is gone; I like it! Going to have to stick this on the list for party dishes. Btw, love the photos.

Yeidy — June 24, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I will make this for my bday get together tomorrow. I am also using a trader joes BOXED mix for cupcakes (the pink box) dont judge. Do you have any ideas on how I can make this box mix better? I am pretty sure youve share a recipe using this mix but dont remember the name.

• Jessica — June 24th, 2011 @ 10:49 am

hmmm I don’t think I’ve ever bought cupcake mix from Trader Joe’s?? But the only thing I ever add to boxed mixes besides the ingredients called for is lots of vanilla extract!

• Bonnie — June 30th, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

Yiedy- to make a box mix taste a little more gourmet you can substitute butter for the oil, use milk instead of the water, add an extra egg, and like Jessica said, more vanilla!

Cookbook Queen — June 24, 2011 @ 10:49 am

I bet this is way better than Whole Foods version!!

Legally Delish — June 24, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I am so making this tonight. Yum!!! Thanks for the great idea!

Christina — June 24, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

This looks so great! Can’t wait to spring this on my hubby! mmm feta!

Amanda — June 25, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

This was fantastic! Thank you.

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — June 25, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

I totally love this recipe! I too love feta! Have a great weekend! :)

Stephanie — June 26, 2011 @ 11:45 am

This looks amazing, can’t wait to make for “date night” with my hubby!!!

Joanna — June 26, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Cava is one of my favorite restaurants in DC too so I was very excited when I saw this recipe. Just made it for lunch for me and my husband. I drizzled a little honey over mine (inspired by another dish I had at Cava). Love! Thanks so much for sharing.

Julia — June 27, 2011 @ 4:11 am

I need this in my life so badly. Must create occasion that calls for awesome appetizer so I don’t just consume the whole bowl alone…

Tara — June 27, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I made this on Sunday for a BBQ I was hosting. I served it as a dip, but people were slathering it on their roasted lamb and exclaiming about it’s deliciousness. Thanks for the recipe!

Amanda N - Wine and a Spoon — June 27, 2011 @ 11:37 am

This looks GREAT. Gotta love an easy appetizer recipe.

Maya — June 28, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

First of all, I’d like to preface that I have NEVER written a review in reference to a recipe regardless of how good it has been. This one got my attention, and you have the first ever review!
    As I live in Switzerland, and jalapenos are hard to come by, I only had 2 small ones plucked from my plant … I ended up adding some crushed red pepper but the kick is minimal. I need more of the green guys!
    This recipe MUST be against the law! I served this with some fresh grilled lamb, with a side of home made orange/red pepper pasta … simply decadent. I will certainly be sharing this with my friends. Thanks bunches for posting!

• Jessica — June 28th, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Thank you for coming out to comment Maya! So glad you like it!

Home with Mandy — June 28, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

I would have never put those flavors together. But I trust you girl!!! I love the thought of adding kalamata olives – yum!

Tracy — June 29, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

I just had to share…

You know what’s better than crazy feta? Crazy feta after a brief stint in the microwave. When it comes out all bubbling and melty, you’re kitchen smells like Mexico and a really good pizza place. And the flavors really shine through in all of its garlickly, lemony, pepperry, CHEESY glory. Ma-jes-tic.

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

LOVE!

Dominique — June 29, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

WOW. I expected this to be good when I first read the recipe and it was EXCELLENT! So good :) the only chips I had were cucumber dill lentil because I forgot to pick up pita and it was veeerrrry good :) I’m so excited to tell everyone!

Becky — June 29, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

Oh my goodness! I read this last week and finally broke down to make it tonight. So, so good! Thanks for sharing this!

Caitlin — June 30, 2011 @ 10:20 am

I have been obsessed with this recipe…and I haven’t made it yet. I roasted the garlic and jalapenos last night and can’t wait to try it. That is, if I don’t eat all of the ingredients before mixing them together.

• Jessica — June 30th, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Give me an update once you make it!

Gina — June 30, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Looks amazing!! Going to try this today with your Greek salad. Thank you.

rose ann — July 2, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Oh my, what goodness! I just made this for a party tomorrow….DEVINE. All of my favs in one recipe and I did add some chopped kalamata olives. I hope I don’t eat it all before tomorrow! Thank you so much for your site and recipes. My sister and I follow you religiously. She loves sugar and has made many of your wonderful desserts, this was my first attempt at one of your recipes and I am so glad I did! Keep up the good work and the delicious recipes!!! Thank You! :)

Kathleen — July 2, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

This was too yummy! Thanks!!

Kim S. — July 4, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Ok…so I made this for a little Independence Day Soiree this weekend, and everyone LOVED it. My brother-in-law loved it so much, he put it on his hot dog AND his hamburger. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Molly — July 4, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Just made this for a 4th of July BBQ. It is amazing! Next time, I’ll roast the garlic longer — I was only able to use about half of the cloves. But still very good!

Krissy @ Make It Naked — July 4, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

This was great! Everyone enjoyed it this weekend. It was SO easy. I roasted the garlic and peppers the night before because we had the oven on for another recipe so the next day it was truly the easiest dip ever. Thanks for a new great recipe!

Jenn@The Leftover Queen — July 6, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

Sounds pretty fantastic to me! I love anything with feta – so far from boring!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — July 6, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

Oh my god! I must make this. I’ve seen the Cava Crazy Feta at Whole Foods before, but I never got the reason to get it (never look at ingredients) because it was so expensive and I just thought “why wouldn’t I just buy plain feta?” –now I can make your version and save money! Very excited about this one :)

Rindalyn — July 7, 2011 @ 10:21 am

I’m really not a fan of spicy food, and the idea of jalapenos scares me into not making this.. has anyone tried it without them in there?

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:26 am

If you just try it with one jalapeno finely diced it should not be too spicy because the seeds are removed. Not sure how it would be without them since they are a major flavor in the dip.

• Brandi B — July 8th, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

The girls in the group I made this for do not like spicy food and they loved it as is. The roasting and removing of the seeds and veins totally takes the spice level down a ton. Even the 8 year old enjoyed it!

Michelle — July 7, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Okay, after reading about this I am so gonna make it this weekend. I bought a big block of it at Sams club today. Just need the jalapeno and garlic!!!

Jaime — July 8, 2011 @ 11:15 am

I added siracha to mine. spiced it up and it was DELISH

Brandi B — July 8, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

This is such a great dip and holds up wonderfully as a make-ahead! So my one mistake, I LOVE lemon and decided to add juice and zest from the whole lemon instead of the half. It tasted great immediately but the next day the lemon was a little overpowering. Next time I’ll be following the recipe as written :-) Served it with the whole grain pita chips from TJ’s. So good! Thanks for the yumminess!

Jenn Erickson/Rook No. 17 — July 8, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

On a whim I hit that “Stumble” button on the top of my screen and it brought me to you.

Score! What a surprise to find such a fabulous recipe and a great blog. I’m printing the recipe and can’t wait to make it to share with my friends at our next “Happy Hour”!

Best,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

Tara — July 8, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Yum! Made it tonight just for me and hubby — we can’t stop eating it! So delicious and so different!

Shala Malone — July 11, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

I love CAVA! It is my favorite place in DC. They have not only Crazy Feta but all sorts of other Greek goodies. Some what like eating tapas Greek style. They have the most awesome food. And some really good happy hour specials. I have learned to really enjoy lamb thanks to this place.

Savannah Restaurant Diva — July 13, 2011 @ 9:38 am

I finally made Crazy Feta last night and the best way I can think to describe it is “Crazy good!” I got about 3/4 of the way through and became very skeptical that it was not going to turn out right but continued on because I trust How Sweet It Is. Glad I trusted you because it turned out great! Very glad I planned ahead and bought a ridiculously sized large bag of pita chips! Already planning on making it for my next family get together so I can get everyone hooked!

Natalya — July 15, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Making this right now! Waiting impatiently for the garlic and jalapeno; lemon and olive oil are already in the feta. Thanks for the recipe!

Yasmeen — July 16, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I just tried this and threw in a few cherry tomatoes… My new favorite Snack

Sophie — July 18, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

I am making this right now. yum tastic.

Aneesah — July 20, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Hello there. I don’t know who you are but I love you. I just stumbled (via Stumble Upon no less) onto your blog and this recipe in particular a few seconds ago and now there is a huge pool of drool on my desk from where my tongue had an orgasm!!! Thank you for telling me about this. Feta is a little pricey and a brick of it–the good kind that can’t be easily found at my local supermarket–is going to cost me a pretty penny. That means this recipe will be waiting until next Friday, payday, but I am already VERY excited!!! Thank you again!

Samantha — August 13, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I LOVE Cava and I LOVEthe Crazy Feta! Will definitely be making this soon!

Amy — August 19, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Made this and LOVED it. Thank you! :)

Karriann Graf — September 6, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

I’m making this Feta Dip tomorrow for guests that are coming in town this weekend. I haven’t tried it yet so I look forward to having some chips and dip! :)

“Spicing it Up”

Ali @ the [un]refined chefs — September 9, 2011 @ 9:08 am

last night after work i went to the grocery sans a list, except for a mental checklist in my head for the ingredients needed for crazy feta! i made it. my roommates thought i was crazy. they ate it. they are officially in love! (me too!)

Lori S H — September 12, 2011 @ 12:08 pm

Wow! I’ve been thinking about this recipe for weeks and finally made it this weekend. It’s so yummy! It’s good cold, hot, crumbled over salads, eaten by the spoonfuls, etc. I just had it for lunch on top of thinly sliced roasted eggplant with two toasted slices of Asiago Cheese bread from Panera and OH it was delish! Thank you for your creations! My husband thanks you too!

adrianne (all of the above) — September 15, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

You’ve just made my day with this post! I absolutely *love* Cava’s crazy feta! They’ve opened a Chipotle-type concept version of their full restaurant (Cava Grill), and crazy feta is one of the things I always, without fail, put in my salad. And then save for last because it’s so good. I’m excited to try out the recipe!

Adam — September 25, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Made this twice now, Amazing!

Courtney R (Bake. Eat. Repeat) — October 23, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

The only crazy thing about this recipe is how CRAZY GOOD it is! My husband and I devoured it! I blogged about the awesomeness here: http://bakeeatrepeat.blogspot.com/2011/10/jalapeno-feta-dip.html.

(I’m afraid my pictures didn’t really do it justice. I hope my pictures will be as lovely and mouthwatering as yours someday!)